What's new

Vietnam Defence Forum

the likelyhood is 100 per cent that permanent warships are stationed to the defence of islands as well.

I don't think so because the Gepards and Molniyas are usually in their home bases and there is only one island that actually has a port, South Cay, so actually, the islands themselves are not set up to receive warships and to keep them based there and anyway, Vietnam doesn't have enough warships at the moment to cover so many islands.

Last edited:
Well, in that case, I hope that launcher can be moved easily.

That's a great system mate.

Yea it might be a mixture of fixed launchers and mobile trucks.

It seems like there is a possibility for other ship based weapons to be integrated into this CIDS. The whole system is totally networked. If they can integrate the KH-35 (ship base) in the future, then this island defense system is pretty solid.

I don't think so because the Gepards and Molniyas are usually in their home bases and there is only one island that actually has a port, South Cay, so actually, the islands themselves are not set up to receive warships and anyway, Vietnam doesn't have enough warships at the moment to cover so many islands.

If they can integrate the Molniyas and Gepards and future MPA together with this system, then these ships don't need to get close to the CIDS or Islands. The CIDS can give guidance for the ships over 100km away.

But I doubt the Russian system on the Molniyas and Gepard can be integrated. The future Indian OPV hybrid with Israeli CMS maybe.

It seems like there is a possibility for other ship based weapons to be integrated into this CIDS. The whole system is totally networked. If they can integrate the KH-35 (ship base) in the future, then this island defense system is pretty solid.

There is one other thing that Vietnam also have that can be used with this system, the Accular missile. Together with the EXTRA they make a great combo.

If they can integrate the Molniyas and Gepards and future MPA together with this system, then these ships don't need to get close to the CIDS or Islands. The CIDS can give guidance for the ships over 100km away.

But I doubt the Russian system on the Molniyas and Gepard can be integrated. The future Indian OPV hybrid with Israeli CMS maybe.

Frankly, I don't think those ships have space where you can integrate this system, but I don't think its a good idea to have it on a ship because if an attacker is going to try to take over islands, the first thing they'll do is to eliminate any ships in the area.

The Accular missile is more accurate than Extra, it can be used to hit the landing boats.

I don't think so because the Gepards and Molniyas are usually in their home bases and there is only one island that actually has a port, South Cay, so actually, the islands themselves are not set up to receive warships and to keep them based there and anyway, Vietnam doesn't have enough warships at the moment to cover so many islands.
you may be right. I am not sure if we have built naval bases yet in the spratlys. but the need is there when in 2 years, when 4 more subs, 2 frigates, 4 corvettes, gun boats and not to forget new 32 medium/big patrol vessels, and a number of patrol vessels of Japan, America and India arrive.

you may be right. I am not sure if we have built naval bases yet in the spratlys. but the need is there when in 2 years, when 4 more subs, 2 frigates, 4 corvettes, gun boats and not to forget new 32 medium/big patrol vessels, and a number of patrol vessels of Japan, America and India arrive.

Of course, that's the whole idea. Right now there is only one port / base and that's South Cay, the next one will be Sin Cowe island where they are building a port. Next will probably be West London reef where they are doing land reclamation. I imagine they need to also do it in Big Spratly island eventually since that's the biggest island.

VN needs small ships to base in the islands. The Molniyas would be ideal there, missile boats would also be good.

VN needs to do like China, land reclamation and build and build........

Frankly, I don't think those ships have space where you can integrate this system, but I don't think its a good idea to have it on a ship because if an attacker is going to try to take over islands, the first thing they'll do is to eliminate any ships in the area.

They can be integrated on the rumored GSL OPV hybrid perhaps? or on smaller stealth FAC. The 150km range is pretty good. These ships dont need to be close to the islands.

Actually, this CIDS is quite weird. It uses a rocket with a CEP of 10m, so it doesn't sound that great against a surface vessel. But I wonder what's the speed of these EXTRA and Accular rockets? Rockets doesnt do sea skim, but I their speed can make up for it.

Most likely they can integrate it with KH-35, but the thing is, these islands are very small, the KH-35 launcher truck is not that small and easy to hide, but it would be good. Another advantage of the Extra is that its much cheaper than a missile.

They can be integrated on the rumored GSL OPV hybrid perhaps? or on smaller stealth FAC. The 150km range is pretty good. These ships dont need to be close to the islands.

Actually, this CIDS is quite weird. It uses a rocket with a CEP of 10m, so it doesn't sound that great against a surface vessel. But I wonder what's the speed of these EXTRA and Accular rockets? Rockets doesnt do sea skim, but I their speed can make up for it.

If they integrate the Extra in a ship, in my opinion its better in an small ship and maybe a ship already set up for that system.

I think the 10 m CEP of Extra is good to hit the larger ships, the mother ships and it has the range for that anyway. The Accular (40 km range) is to hit the small landing boats.

Frankly, I think the system is designed quite well, you have 2 rockets / missiles, one for large targets and one for small targets. The system is very cost effective, cheaper than actual missiles, quite good for an small island.

The final defensive layer is anti tank rockets / missiles, recoilless anti tank guns, VN has plenty of those, so you end up with a 3 layer defensive system and is all based on the islands themselves.

Last edited:
Most likely they can integrate it with KH-35, but the thing is, these islands are very small, the KH-35 launcher truck is not that small and easy to hide, but it would be good. Another advantage of the Extra is that its much cheaper than a missile.

What I meant was to integrate it with the KH-35s on the Molniyas and Gepards and link them together using MPAs or satellite. The Mol/Gepards can be over 100km away or even over 200km if the KH-35 gets upgraded. But I still doubt it given the different Russian and Israeli system.

OK, I gotta go.

What I meant was to integrate it with the KH-35s on the Molniyas and Gepards and link them together using MPAs or satellite. The Mol/Gepards can be over 100km away or even over 200km if the KH-35 gets upgraded. But I still doubt it given the different Russian and Israeli system.

OK, I gotta go.

Ahhh good idea. Good night mate.

Of course, that's the whole idea. Right now there is only one port / base and that's South Cay, the next one will be Sin Cowe island where they are building a port. Next will probably be West London reef where they are doing land reclamation. I imagine they need to also do it in Big Spratly island eventually since that's the biggest island.

VN needs small ships to base in the islands. The Molniyas would be ideal there, missile boats would also be good.

VN needs to do like China, land reclamation and build and build........

Bro ,China is suddenly start to claiming others land because they know others cant challenge them .With 4 trillion$ reserve and huge manufacturing capability they will try to reclaim others land and build .Vietnam or India cant behave like that because we dont have resources for that.

A new type of GSL OPV is commissioned .I think that would be your VN choice.

Back
Top Bottom