What's new

Vietnam Defence Forum

we record a current account surplus of $10b for this year. the government should be able to allocate the money for the jet.
by the way, I got problem to see/post pics. what is wrong?

Yes, I also have problems with the pics, something wrong in PDF.

that is exactly what the airforce needs: a jet carrying supersonic antiship missile.
1280px-MAKS_Airshow_2013_%28Ramenskoye_Airport%2C_Russia%29_%28527-15%29.jpg

Well, you have to first save your pics, then use upload the file.

I don´t understand why thing takes too long. now at least the russians promise to deliver the next pair of Gepard end of 2016, at the lastest. Can´t wait until our shipyards can build them domestically, if ever. the navy shall seriously considers alteratives elsewhere.

799422KiloVN1.jpg

I don´t understand why thing takes too long. now at least the russians promise to deliver the next pair of Gepard end of 2016, at the lastest. Can´t wait until our shipyards can build them domestically, if ever. the navy shall seriously considers alteratives elsewhere.

View attachment 148763

Its a Russian problem and there are reasons for it. The Russian shipyards were mostly in Ukraine or depending on equipment from Ukraine. When the Soviet Union collapsed, those shipyards also collapsed, so Russia had to restart their own from scratch. The submarine shipyards on the other hand were in Russia and they are doing much better so the sub delivery time is actually ok. They are slowly getting better, but they are going to take a while. Add to that that Russia is doing a big naval build up.

something is in the air: meeting between the VCP and CCP in Da Lat City, Vietnam Nov. 4, 2014
the topic: how to advance the rule of law under the communist leadership?

127178393_14151487750151n.jpg

Do any of you guys have full subscription access to Jane's Defence? Now that I have a bit more free time, I'm going to try post some more interesting info that you may not have read in the normal Jane's website.

I will only post relevant parts and not the full article due to copy write issue. If some of you already have full subscription to Jane's defence then let me know so that I won't waste my time.

From the article "US eases military sales ban on Vietnam" (Nov 1 2014)

... According to US State Department figures, Vietnam's FMF (Foreign military financing) allocation has increased from USD500,000 in 2009 to USD10 million in 2014.

...US platforms that Vietnam is known to have expressed interest in include the Lockheed Martin P-3 Orion.... And coastal radar systems produced by Raytheon. There is also potential for Vietnam to pursue purchases of ex-US Navy or Coast Guard vessels.

hmmm, what ex-US Navy vessels can there be?

From the full article "AgustaWestland continues success in Asia" (Aug 1 2014)

... [AgustaWestland] company officials have also previously hightlighted to IHS Jane's the scope for sales in Indonesia and Vietnam.

Does Vietnam currently operate any AgustaWestland helicopter? are they looking at Agusta as an option for the future Sigma?

Last edited:
a closer look at a Scud at Missile brigade #490.
if one looks at the components: the rocket appears to be brandnew. I bet the army possess the capability to build this type of missile, as some foreign media suggest.
10708718-815783778479579-3796282616611996214-o-1415242316622-0-0-360-706-crop-1415242351166[1].jpg

video-can-canh-ten-lua-scud-cua-viet-nam[1].jpg

APEC meeting in Beijing: handshake between Xi Jinping and Truong Tan Sang

Xi is as always with his cool face and smile. though he looks friendlier than the other encounter with Shinzo Abe, I bet he was not amused by the news that VN is going ahead with a $10b gas project with America's ExxonMobil. a further step to undermine Chinese 9 now 11 dash line claim. piece by piece.

Vietnam's new Paracels gas project a 'sneak attack,' says academic|Politics|News|WantChinaTimes.com

View attachment 149513
Don't celebrate so early, you will protest us soon for our counter measures.

Do any of you guys have full subscription access to Jane's Defence? Now that I have a bit more free time, I'm going to try post some more interesting info that you may not have read in the normal Jane's website.

I will only post relevant parts and not the full article due to copy write issue. If some of you already have full subscription to Jane's defence then let me know so that I won't waste my time.

From the article "US eases military sales ban on Vietnam" (Nov 1 2014)
that is nice if you have full access to Janes´s, pls post here. I don´t have it.
hmmm, what ex-US Navy vessels can there be?
maybe this one: Oliver Hazard class
Dàn vũ khí "siêu khủng" ở tàu chiến Oliver Hazard VN sắp mua

vu-khi-2[1].jpg

vu-khi-1[1].jpg

vu-khi-9[1].jpg

From the full article "AgustaWestland continues success in Asia" (Aug 1 2014)
Does Vietnam currently operate any AgustaWestland helicopter?

are they looking at Agusta as an option for the future Sigma?
as far as I know: No
we operate Dauphin and Puma.
ec225-vietnam1-2x[1].jpg

From the article "Myanmar acquires Nexter Nerva LG UGV" (Mar 1, 2014)

Myanmar has purchased 2 Nerva LG wheeled unmanned ground vehicles.

Nexter said they are in negotiations with the Philippines and Vietnam for the potential sale of 12 Nerva LG systems to each.

p. s. I'm too lazy to post pics because the

From the article "Myanmar acquires Nexter Nerva LG UGV" (Mar 1, 2014)

Myanmar has purchased 2 Nerva LG wheeled unmanned ground vehicles.

Nexter said they are in negotiations with the Philippines and Vietnam for the potential sale of 12 Nerva LG systems to each.

p. s. I'm too lazy to post pics because the
there is a trick to paste a pic:
- upload a file
- choose the file
- paste url, open it
- full image

there is a trick to paste a pic:
- upload a file
- choose the file
- paste url, open it
- full image

I'm on my android tablet and the mobile version of the forum dont have that option. I'm too lazy to dl then upload then delete it from my tablet. You can just google for the images yourself and upload it here.

btw, ignore that guy. Dont feed him, hes just trying to ruin my thread. Just hit the report button.

On topic: According to a 2013 article "LAAD Defence and security 2013"

Lockheed Martin had already anticipated that VN will be getting P-3 Orions. One of their official said they are expecting to manufacture new wings to refurbish VN's secondhand Orions.

It's a newly designed wing that has a new limit of 2.5g instead of the older 1.5g limit of the original wing.

It will increase the operation service life to another 20 years of normal use or 15,000 flight hours.

Back
Top Bottom