What's new

Vietnam Defence Forum

FNC rifle from Belgium: using NATO 5,56mm bullets, fire rate: 675 a minute, effective range: 250-400m
quoc-phong-5[1].jpg

quoc-phong-3[1].jpg

quoc-phong[1].jpg

Do any of you guys have full subscription access to Jane's Defence? Now that I have a bit more free time, I'm going to try post some more interesting info that you may not have read in the normal Jane's website.

I will only post relevant parts and not the full article due to copy write issue. If some of you already have full subscription to Jane's defence then let me know so that I won't waste my time.

From the article "US eases military sales ban on Vietnam" (Nov 1 2014)

hmmm, what ex-US Navy vessels can there be?

From the full article "AgustaWestland continues success in Asia" (Aug 1 2014)

Does Vietnam currently operate any AgustaWestland helicopter? are they looking at Agusta as an option for the future Sigma?

Very interesting to hear this. I had done a post on the MP forum a few weeks ago about the possibility of VN getting the FFG Perry frigates and the Hamilton cutters for the coast guard (there are still 5 or 6 available).

No, VN does not operate the AgustaWestland helicopter.

Last edited:
On topic: According to a 2013 article "LAAD Defence and security 2013"

Lockheed Martin had already anticipated that VN will be getting P-3 Orions. One of their official said they are expecting to manufacture new wings to refurbish VN's secondhand Orions.

It's a newly designed wing that has a new limit of 2.5g instead of the older 1.5g limit of the original wing.

It will increase the operation service life to another 20 years of normal use or 15,000 flight hours.
that is nice, but when will the birds arrive in vietnam? and at all, do the articles mention if the P-3 is equipped with weapons?

a closer look at a Scud at Missile brigade #490.
if one looks at the components: the rocket appears to be brandnew. I bet the army possess the capability to build this type of missile, as some foreign media suggest.
View attachment 149569
View attachment 149570

VN has been building Scuds for many years and they also received tech transfer from North Korea for more advance Scuds.

I'm on my android tablet and the mobile version of the forum dont have that option. I'm too lazy to dl then upload then delete it from my tablet. You can just google for the images yourself and upload it here.

btw, ignore that guy. Dont feed him, hes just trying to ruin my thread. Just hit the report button.

On topic: According to a 2013 article "LAAD Defence and security 2013"

Lockheed Martin had already anticipated that VN will be getting P-3 Orions. One of their official said they are expecting to manufacture new wings to refurbish VN's secondhand Orions.

It's a newly designed wing that has a new limit of 2.5g instead of the older 1.5g limit of the original wing.

It will increase the operation service life to another 20 years of normal use or 15,000 flight hours.

Great info man !!!!!! Thank you !!!!

Keep sending, I don't have subscription to Jane's.

that is nice, but when will the birds arrive in vietnam? and at all, do the articles mention if the P-3 is equipped with weapons?

It doesn't say when. Another article said the Orions is expected to be deweaponised. But it's an older article before the US lifted the sanction.

Very interesting to hear this. I had done a post on the MP thread a few weeks ago about the possibility of VN getting the FFG Perry frigates and the Hamilton cutters for the coast guard (there are still 5 or 6 available).

No, VN does not operate the AgustaWestland helicopter.

The article only said there is a potential sale. It didnt say that there are any offer yet.

That potential AgustaWestland sale might be for a land attack version.

Time for me to get something to eat. Let me know what weapon system or country you want me to look up. I'm planning to also post articles about the Philippines and India.

It doesn't say when. Another article said the Orions is expected to be deweaponised. But it's an older article before the US lifted the sanction.

The article only said there is a potential sale. It didnt say that there are any offer yet.

That potential AgustaWestland sale might be for a land attack version.

Time for me to get something to eat. Let me know what weapon system or country you want me to look up. I'm planning to also post articles about the Philippines and India.

Actually the AgustaWestland helos are often used for ASW on ships. That's what India uses. This could be tied up to new ships for VN, it could even be for those OPV vessels from India.

Info about Philippines and India sounds great. Japan would be good too. Thanks bro.

the airforce recently tested a UAV Swinglet from the company Sensefly (Switzerland) for possible military use. 0.5m length, wide 80cm, powered by lightweight Lithium Polymer, 30 minutes flying time, speed 36km/h, withstand winds of 25km/h, capture 3-D images. nice toy, but nicer would be armed drones.

vu-khi-1[1].jpg

vu-khi-2[3].jpg

vu-khi-3[1].jpg

US willing to sell ballistic missile defense system to VN?

From the article

"The Promise and Limits of Foreign Markets" in National Defense.
(Oct 2013)

U.S. manufacturers are the ones to beat in the international arms market. Sales over the past two years have exceeded $60 billion, and there are still no signs that distant runners-up in Russia and Western Europe will catch up any time soon.

Pentagon contractors, despite their dominance, need their international arms business to grow substantially if they hope to compensate for declining sales to the U.S. military...

... The most coveted arms deals are likely to be in Asia. "The only defense budgets in the world that are climbing are in Asia," says Air Force Gen. Herbert Carlisle, commander of air forces at U.S. Pacific Command. "We want to expand that engagement." Military leaders overseas are champions of American manufacturers because they believe they can build closer ties with allies if everyone owns the same equipment.

... Missile-defense systems are among the most sought-after U.S. technologies. The United States has sold to allies every major system that the Pentagon developed to protect troops from enemy ballistic missiles. More sales are expected, predicts the Congressional Research Service. "There is a potential for significant further sales if South Korea and Australia decide to emphasize ballistic missile defense in future budgets, or if Southeast Asian countries such as Vietnam, the Philippines or Singapore begin to view ballistic missiles as a threat to their security," states a CRS report.

Very interesting to hear this. I had done a post on the MP forum a few weeks ago about the possibility of VN getting the FFG Perry frigates and the Hamilton cutters for the coast guard (there are still 5 or 6 available).

Yeah some OHP class frigate are up for sales from ex-US navy stocks. Taiwan bought 2 for $175 million plus another $60 million for refurbishment and retrofit of newer weapon system. Overall, still cheaper than the Gepards.

Both Malaysia and the Philippines has already rejected them, citing the cost. Malaysia also said they aren't familiar with their engines.

Actually the AgustaWestland helos are often used for ASW on ships. That's what India uses. This could be tied up to new ships for VN, it could even be for those OPV vessels from India.

Info about Philippines and India sounds great. Japan would be good too. Thanks bro.

I was guessing the official was talking about land attack versions because he was discussing the Bangladeshi and Filipino land version orders before he made that comment.

But yes, a naval version would make sense. AW159 or maybe NH90 looks good.

Yeah some OHP class frigate are up for sales from ex-US navy stocks. Taiwan bought 2 for $175 million plus another $60 million for refurbishment and retrofit of newer weapon system. Overall, still cheaper than the Gepards.

Both Malaysia and the Philippines has already rejected them, citing the cost. Malaysia also said they aren't familiar with their engines..

I mentioned this to my navy source and he told me that VN would not be interested in the Perry frigates, but they are interested in the Hamilton cutters. We'll see.

Hmmmm I very much doubted. They are just expressing a wish. American ABM systems are extremely expensive. The S-300 / 400 are doing an ok job.

The important thing to note is the fact that the CRS report has mentioned VN. That report mainly talked about US allies such Australia, SK, the Philippines but it is interesting that they have also included Vietnam in that group. They didn't even mention friendlier countries like Thailand and Indonesia.

Keep in mind that CRS is an advisory group working exclusively for the US govt. They are not a private think tank, they are govt affiliated so everything they say has alot of weight to it.

The Congressional Research Service (CRS) works exclusively for the United States Congress, providing policy and legal analysis to committees and Members of both the House and Senate, regardless of party affiliation. As a legislative branch agency within the Library of Congress, CRS has been a valued and respected resource on Capitol Hill for more than a century.

Note that US ABM system are not only there for the host country alone, but for the nearby US allies as well. If you look at the map, you'll see why the US would have an interest in installing an ABM system at a strategic location in VN.

The Kilo subs are just the first step of Vietnam's submarine arm.

Currently, the Vietnamese navy is very seriously considering to order either the Amur 1650 or the Amur 950 subs from Russia. They are inspecting the submarine details right now.

The Amur 950 (smaller than the Kilo, 58.5 meters) carries AIP and a 10 cell Brahmos / Club launcher and can do a salvo missile launching of 10 missiles in less than 2 minutes. $450 million.

@Viet Feeling happier now?

Amur 636-Kilo_950_1650-Amur_900.gif
amur950-1.jpg

Amur 1650-950 chart.JPG

Last edited:
The important thing to note is the fact that the CRS report has mentioned VN. That report mainly talked about US allies such Australia, SK, the Philippines but it is interesting that they have also included Vietnam in that group. They didn't even mention friendlier countries like Thailand and Indonesia.

Keep in mind that CRS is an advisory group working exclusively for the US govt. They are not a private think tank, they are govt affiliated so everything they say has alot of weight to it.

Note that US ABM system are not only there for the host country alone, but for the nearby US allies as well. If you look at the map, you'll see why the US would have an interest in installing an ABM system at a strategic location in VN.

Yes, all that is very revealing. It seems like there is a de facto virtual alliance forming with VN. Very interesting.

Back
Top Bottom