What's new

Video Gamers report in!

I started playing it on PS4 but the game potential is too limited on PS4. I now play it on my MAC as you get to download MODs without which the game once you start going over 15k population becomes unplayable. It is so much fun, I downloaded the Industries and Mass Transit DLC so I had a very neat system of free public transport in my city traffic was 89% in the green.
I got a MacBook Air 2020 however hesitant to download games on it. Yeh biggest setback is no mods, on pc you can go up to 80+ tiles but on console we are stuck to 9 And once your at 100k population your city slowly starts to die, despite them adding some mods which are useless, i guess paradox will never add any useful mods to console for cities skylines. I bought all dlcs for cities skylines (except the newest one) so I can have some additional content. Mass transit is defo the best dlc in the game, another one I enjoy is the park life and campus dlc, just gives that realistic and additional fun to the game.
I guess we gotta wait for cities skylines 2 for mods or extra tiles on the new gen consoles, which can defo handle cities skylines with extra tile mods etc.

Man, saying I am jealous of our upgrade would be lying to you. Good purchase, I also use an Old mac mine was late 2012 edition but I paid through the nose to get extra RAM and upgraded graphics. Unlike you I cannot justify spending for an upgrade because the machine still runs fine.

I am very tempted by DCS and other simulators maybe if I win the Euromillions this week I will splurge out on a new machine.

Yes MACS are good but Apple make it very hard to upgrade their machines and overcharge for upgrades like more memory, storage and GPU. Also the upgrade potential is limited and my iMAC 4k 2017 has the best GPU in its class(Radeon 560 Pro with 4GB of VRAM) and the only way that I can get better GPU performance is to buy one of those eGPU things but that is not 100% efficient and comes with a whole host of issues that you need to deal with.

I brought the Dell Alienware R12 PC with an eye to it lasting me potentially 5-6 years minimum, and since the CPU is so powerful(8 cores with hyperthreading and an insane 1700 single-threaded performance score on Geekbench 5), it should not bottleck the GPU on latest games if say I was able to buy a new cutting-edge GPU(RTX 5000-series) 3 years down the line.

I got a MacBook Air 2020 however hesitant to download games on it. Yeh biggest setback is no mods, on pc you can go up to 80+ tiles but on console we are stuck to 9 And once your at 100k population your city slowly starts to die, despite them adding some mods which are useless, i guess paradox will never add any useful mods to console for cities skylines. I bought all dlcs for cities skylines (except the newest one) so I can have some additional content. Mass transit is defo the best dlc in the game, another one I enjoy is the park life and campus dlc, just gives that realistic and additional fun to the game.
I guess we gotta wait for cities skylines 2 for mods or extra tiles on the new gen consoles, which can defo handle cities skylines with extra tile mods etc.
Be wary of opening tiles, I found if you have good planned high density housing 9 tiles are more than enough, I have park life although I have not exploited it yet, I didn't download Campus DLC because my machine is now heating up (its 9 years old). Paradox wanted to add Mods but Sony were against it. I do hope City Skylines 2 has most of the MODs from City Skyline 1 as standard.

Still I don't think I will be playing it on a console, it is a very different game when you play it on PC/Mac vs Console. I am starting a new job soon so I am hoping they give me a new laptop with a decent graphics card so I can use their machine to play some games at lower settings. My current work laptop has Nvidia 1070 with an i5 processor, most games run fine at low settings which is okay to kill time but even on this laptop City Skylines struggles once you go past 4 tiles.

Be wary of opening tiles, I found if you have good planned high density housing 9 tiles are more than enough, I have park life although I have not exploited it yet, I didn't download Campus DLC because my machine is now heating up (its 9 years old). Paradox wanted to add Mods but Sony were against it. I do hope City Skylines 2 has most of the MODs from City Skyline 1 as standard.

Still I don't think I will be playing it on a console, it is a very different game when you play it on PC/Mac vs Console. I am starting a new job soon so I am hoping they give me a new laptop with a decent graphics card so I can use their machine to play some games at lower settings. My current work laptop has Nvidia 1070 with an i5 processor, most games run fine at low settings which is okay to kill time but even on this laptop City Skylines struggles once you go past 4 tiles.
Xbox one has mods, but god damn are they the worst mods I’ve seen, the mods are a couple buildings (which are not good) and a few reskins for vehicles. They can add more mods for Xbox, however for some reason they choose not to, for PlayStation wont be possible. I’m planning to buy a ps5 as soon as I can, doubt mods would be allowed, however If the base cities skylines 2 has 18 tiles or something, I’d be more than happy.

Yes MACS are good but Apple make it very hard to upgrade their machines and overcharge for upgrades like more memory, storage and GPU. Also the upgrade potential is limited and my iMAC 4k 2017 has the best GPU in its class(Radeon 560 Pro with 4GB of VRAM) and the only way that I can get better GPU performance is to buy one of those eGPU things but that is not 100% efficient and comes with a whole host of issues that you need to deal with.

I brought the Dell Alienware R12 PC with an eye to it lasting me potentially 5-6 years minimum, and since the CPU is so powerful(8 cores with hyperthreading and an insane 1700 single-threaded performance score on Geekbench 5), it should not bottleck the GPU on latest games if say I was able to buy a new cutting-edge GPU(RTX 5000-series) 3 years down the line.
Cannot agree more on that, however before I got the MAC pro I was going through at least 1 laptop every 6 months, at the time I was using MATLAB and NX Nastran both very demanding programmes. My MAC still runs them fine.

A few years ago I got fed up with it, just wanted a newer MAC but could not convince myself to buy one as current MAC is still running fine without issues. So I chucked it down the stairs a couple of times and thought I will claim on insurance, took it to Apple to validate the insurance claim and the B@$tards swapped the cracked screen and gave it back to me. 😆 . So I am still stuck with it.

I do love the look of Alienware R12's. Also I am more likely to buy Windows based machine again now because their quality has gone up. Specially when you spend money on Alienware or MSI etc. They are well designed machines and are guaranteed to last you at least 4-5 years. Still I will not spend until my MAC breaks down😆, there is no other way I will be able to justify to myself spending on a new Machine. I would by the new PS5 if I can locate one - that though is a different story.

Cannot agree more on that, however before I got the MAC pro I was going through at least 1 laptop every 6 months, at the time I was using MATLAB and NX Nastran both very demanding programmes. My MAC still runs them fine.

A few years ago I got fed up with it, just wanted a newer MAC but could not convince myself to buy one as current MAC is still running fine without issues. So I chucked it down the stairs a couple of times and thought I will claim on insurance, took it to Apple to validate the insurance claim and the B@$tards swapped the cracked screen and gave it back to me. 😆 . So I am still stuck with it.

I do love the look of Alienware R12's. Also I am more likely to buy Windows based machine again now because their quality has gone up. Specially when you spend money on Alienware or MSI etc. They are well designed machines and are guaranteed to last you at least 4-5 years. Still I will not spend until my MAC breaks down😆, there is no other way I will be able to justify to myself spending on a new Machine. I would by the new PS5 if I can locate one - that though is a different story.
Lol mac users complaining why their systems won't die and windows users complaining about the opposite :lol:
I've heard for programming/productivity usecases mac is the best though never got one as have always been a windows guy who would like to run a game here and there, and sadly my employer sticks to providing thinkpads :(

Lol mac users complaining why their systems won't die and windows users complaining about the opposite :lol:
I've heard for programming/productivity usecases mac is the best though never got one as have always been a windows guy who would like to run a game here and there, and sadly my employer sticks to providing thinkpads :(

Yes MACs are generally superior than Windows in nearly everything, apart from gaming.

The reason that MACs are the computers of choice of developers is that MacOS is based on Unix and so easier to use different programming languages on them than on Windows PCs.

I was a Windows user for most of my life and brought my first iMAC back in 2018 and think for day to day tasks like office and remote productivity work(Airdrop integration between iMac and iPad is excellent which Microsoft/Android does not have an equivalent for) then MACs are in a class of their own. They also do not randomly freeze as much as Windows machines and so can be relied on more to "just work".

Both types of computers have their weaknesses and strengths and some people are able to get by on one while others need both for their needs.

I have used MACs for FFE analysis and modelling in NX and Solidworks they are a step above windows based machines. However these days the gap has narrowed quite significantly, Even then in most Architect firms and design firms I work with use MACs for rendering etc. They can withstand a lot of abuse. Very bad on the gaming front - that too has improved now, compared to 2012 and earlier but still PC gaming on windows is a different kettle of fish.

I am not sure - I am dreading a ThinkPad as well. My current employers just give you a budget and you can buy any machine that fits within the budget. Hopefully I can have a decent machine.

I have used MACs for FFE analysis and modelling in NX and Solidworks they are a step above windows based machines. However these days the gap has narrowed quite significantly, Even then in most Architect firms and design firms I work with use MACs for rendering etc. They can withstand a lot of abuse. Very bad on the gaming front - that too has improved now, compared to 2012 and earlier but still PC gaming on windows is a different kettle of fish.

Hardware, dollar for dollar or otherwise, just can't be matched by Apple. This is me being nice to them.

Never really played a game with RTX enabled must be a treat. Any more games you have in your radar?

The 4k Vs RT Vs 60 fps trade-off is still a pain though.

would not have invested in it just for flight sims/gaming and due to the cutting edge CPU and GPU, it will also double up as an excellent 4K video editor for me with software like Da Vinci Resolve that requires powerful hardware.

Said he with an intel chip in his new machine.

Last edited:
Intel chips will still remain relevant for many years to come.

They are not going away any time soon.

We'll see about that but the point was 'Multi thread (Video editing) Vs Single thread (gaming)' vis a vis 'Ryzen Vs Intel'.

We'll see about that but the point was 'Multi thread (Video editing) Vs Single thread (gaming)' vis a vis 'Ryzen Vs Intel'.

The build I brought has a 8 core, 16 thread i7 CPU. That is plenty for video editing as I am not a professional who does 4K video edits 40 hours a week.

It strikes a good balance between price and performance in the areas of gaming and 4k video editing.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom