What's new

Video Gamers report in!

Guys...what do y'all think of this?

MSI GE76: $1,499.99
  • 10th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-10750H Processor
  • NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 3060 Laptop GPU, 6GB
  • 17.3" IPS Thin Bezel FHD (1920 x 1080) 144Hz Display

https://www.costco.com/msi-ge76-rai...tx-3060---144hz-1080p-.product.100736840.html

What do you plan on using it for?

Things to consider: Do you really need 3060? Would you prefer 4k? screen size how important is that? What do you play that would require 144Hz? etc.

What are you going to use it for? Do you absolutely need a laptop?
Gaming ofcourse and yeah, I wanted to built a PC but due to work from home...I've been traveling quite often which is why I chose to go for a laptop instead. Razer laptops are relatively sleek and portable but they're much more expensive. All I need is something I can carry to wherever I travel and don't miss out on gaming which is also why I'm looking for a 17"

https://www.costco.com/msi-ge76-rai...tx-3060---144hz-1080p-.product.100736840.html

I am not an expert on graphics card and prefer consoles over PC for gaming but this seems like a good machine. 10th gen processors, esp i7, are still quite good. At this price I would prefer an SSD of 500GB or above.

Yeah, I wanted to built a PC but due to work from home...I see myself often traveling which is why I chose to go for a laptop instead

If you'll be returning home most days then a PC + an economical and lighter laptop will make you a much happier man, both at work and at home. Even if you do end up spending a couple bucks more.

I am not an expert on graphics card and prefer consoles over PC for gaming but this seems like a good machine. 10th gen processors, esp i7, are still quite good. At this price I would prefer an SSD of 500GB or above.
It comes with a 1TB SSD

ensure it comes with Thunderbolt or possibility of graphics card extension

though in your case may not seem necessary with at 3060
Not a lot of gaming laptops come with GPU extension and as you've already mentioned...3060 should do the job. Most laptops I searched for are only offering 20xx series GPUs at this price point

I don't see this having a thunderbolt though

Ports & Slots:
  • 1x USB 3.2 Gen 2
  • 1x USB 3.2 Gen 2 with DPI 1.4
  • 2x USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-C
  • 2x USB 3.2 Gen 1
  • 1x HDMI-Out
  • 1x SDXC Card Reader
  • 1x Mini-Display Port mDP v1.4
  • 1x Mic-In/Headphone-Out Ja
If you'll be returning home every day then a PC + an economical and lighter laptop will make you a much happier man, both at work and at home. Even if you do end up spending a couple bucks more.
I have a pretty dope laptop given to me at work but I can't install games on it for obvious reasons.

When I meant traveling, I've been traveling to various states across the US...friends and family with my stay ranging from anywhere from a week to 1-2 months. I've only been at my home city for around 5 months in the entire 2020 and I assume it's sorta the same this year as well

I'm all in for PCs but mobility is important to me currently

Last edited:
Intel chips will still remain relevant for many years to come.

They are not going away any time soon.
There here to stay indeed, they will continue to stay in their stalls while Ryzen will be sold out.

I had played for some time, though have to admit a heavily modded one(cough! cheats cough!) , the nuclear wasteland can be unforgiving for a casual like me.
Guilty!
Annoying to earn the perks, but playing at very hard right now
very addictive with stealth build

We'll see about that but the point was 'Multi thread (Video editing) Vs Single thread (gaming)' vis a vis 'Ryzen Vs Intel'.
Difference in gaming is almost gone now but the difference in multithreaded performance is off the charts, favoring Ryzen.

It comes with a 1TB SSD

Not a lot of gaming laptops come with GPU extension and as you've already mentioned...3060 should do the job. Most laptops I searched for are only offering 20xx series GPUs at this price point

I don't see this having a thunderbolt though

Ports & Slots:
  • 1x USB 3.2 Gen 2
  • 1x USB 3.2 Gen 2 with DPI 1.4
  • 2x USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-C
  • 2x USB 3.2 Gen 1
  • 1x HDMI-Out
  • 1x SDXC Card Reader
  • 1x Mini-Display Port mDP v1.4
  • 1x Mic-In/Headphone-Out Ja

I have a pretty dope laptop given to me at work but I can't install games on it for obvious reasons.

When I meant traveling, I've been traveling to various states across the US...friends and family with my stay ranging from anywhere from a week to 1-2 months. I've only been at my home city for around 5 months in the entire 2020 and I assume it's sorta the same this year as well

I'm all in for PCs but mobility is important to me currently

1TB is good. Specs look good to me. Although 8GB dedicated RAM for graphics card would be have been ideal I don't think 6GB would takeaway much performance. Do see if there is an extra SSD slot. May be you could add a 128GB or 256GB additional slot for Windows installation and booting and for the apps. It should free up the 1TB for gaming, multimedia etc, if you are into hoarding game installers, videos, songs, and other files that are in GB sizes. If not, it's still good. Go for it. I know I would.

Difference in gaming is almost gone now but the difference in multithreaded performance is off the charts, favoring Ryzen.

I just wanted to keep it as a joke and not turn it into the Intel Vs Ryzen debate or discount UKBengali's very formidable rig.

You are correct on both accounts. Zen 3 is phenomenal, as if Zen 2 wasn't. Even "Big Navi" surprised everyone. Glad to see AMD doing this, not because I'm a fanboy but because the industry needs this. We've already seen what it forced Nvidia to do with the 3000 series.

Last edited:
1TB is good. Specs look good to me. Although 8GB dedicated RAM for graphics card would be have been ideal I don't think 6GB would takeaway much performance. Do see if there is an extra SSD slot. May be you could add a 128GB or 256GB additional slot for Windows installation and booting and for the apps. It should free up the 1TB for gaming, multimedia etc, if you are into hoarding game installers, videos, songs, and other files that are in GB sizes. If not, it's still good. Go for it. I know I would.
Biggest issue with any gaming stuff is availability and ensuring they're with your budget. This model doesn't have an extra SSD slot similar to most laptops but I believe 1TB should suffice for hoarding games. I'm not into saving songs and videos anyway since I watch/listen to em online so that's outta the equation. Any photos/videos which I've taken personally are saved on external HDDs.

I already have a 27" 144hz monitor which I can use when at home while I'll use the laptop alone when traveling. Thanks for your input though

Looks pretty good specs wise. But the weight though at 2.9 kgs it's a bit hefty to put it lightly, at this end there won't be much portability to speak of but I guess with a 17" inch is kinda expected.
Also few pointers to look for would be the display quality (nits, color gamut) and obviously the thermals which only reviews can tell, heard the hp omens really did well in this segment not sure about msi.

Looks pretty good specs wise. But the weight though at 2.9 kgs it's a bit hefty to put it lightly, at this end there won't be much portability to speak of but I guess with a 17" inch is kinda expected.
Also few pointers to look for would be the display quality (nits, color gamut) and obviously the thermals which only reviews can tell, heard the hp omens really did well in this segment not sure about msi.
My friend actually bought the MSI GE76-238...similar to the one I posted but a notch above

3070, 240hz screen, 32 GB RAM but has the same processor though and is priced at $2k. I've played on it and the screen looks lit. Though this is a 144hz, I'd connect it to an external monitor at home

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom