SENIOR MODERATOR
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
US Will Not Target Haqqanis in Afghanistan
January 29, 2016
  • Ayaz Gul
B32C6ACD-901E-4AED-A84E-A16E3E1EF628_w1000_r1_s.jpg

Army Lt. Gen. John Nicholson Jr., seen in this Jan. 28, 2016 photo, is picked to lead US and NATO forces in Afghanistan. He says the U.S. is not targeting Haqqanis in Afghanistan.

ISLAMABAD —
The United States military for the first time has categorically stated its counterterrorism operations in Afghanistan are not targeting the Haqqani network of militants, which is fighting alongside the Taliban.

The comment this week by Lieutenant General John “Mick” Nicholson, picked to lead US and NATO forces in Afghanistan, has come as a surprise to regional analysts who say it could be signaling a shift in Washington’s policy to promote Afghan peace and reconciliation efforts.

“They are not part of that designation right now…The Haqqanis are principally a focus of the Afghan security forces,” Nicholson told the Senate Armed Services Committee on Thursday when asked wether U.S. forces target the Haqqanis as part of their counterterrorism mission in Afghanistan.

Nicholson went on to explain that the focus of U.S. counterterrorism actions are militants linked to al-Qaida and Islamic State group to prevent them from becoming a threat to the United States. Around 10,000 U.S. forces are stationed in Afghanistan as part of NATO-led Resolute Support mission to train and advise Afghan security forces and conduct counterterrorism operations.

But he reiterated the Haqqani network is “the number one threat” to American forces in the country and a “severe threat” to the Afghan government.

U.S. and Afghan officials have long alleged that Haqqanis together with the Taliban are using their bases in Pakistani border territory for attacks inside Afghanistan.

Nicholson reiterated those concerns in his testimony, saying the United States has not been satisfied that Pakistan has put enough pressure on the Haqqanis to prevent cross-border attacks.

“I view it as a serious problem and this has been one of the principal challenges. It is a sanctuary that our enemies and particularly the Haqqani network have enjoyed inside Pakistan,” he said.

The head of Islamabad-based Institute of Strategic Studies, Masood Khan, while commenting on the U.S. general’s comments regarding the Haqqani network says principal interlocutors need to “signal flexibility.”

Afghan, Pakistani, U.S. and Chinese officials have recently initiated a four-way peace process aimed at resurrecting stated talks between the Kabul government and the Taliban.

The contract group has held two meetings this month while a third is scheduled for February 6 in Islamabad.

“It is absolutely imperative to bring Afghan Taliban to the negotiating table. Pakistan believes that the best way to do this is through well-considered incentivization and inducement. Neither coercion nor weak blandishments would work,” said Khan.

Nicholson praised the quadrilateral talks as “a great leap forward”, saying it should result in a road map for further Afghan peace talks.

“These talks are encouraging; I see reconciliation as the path towards a negotiated settlement that brings about the end of conflict in Afghanistan.”

The Haqqani network has carried out some of the most sophisticated guerrilla attacks and suicide bombings in Afghanistan against both local as well as foreign targets.

Lately, it has focused its raids on targets in Kabul. The group's leadership U.S. officials believe has links to the Pakistani spy agency, charges Islamabad denies.

My Questions to Him?

1. Whose mess is Haqqani etc?
2. Isn't Pakistan already busy clearing their mess?
3. Pakistan is already in war against terrorism despite any group with no exceptions which is the fruit of cold war era, isn't it?
4. Didn't they see Pakistan's efforts to bring peace in the Afghanistan and Region?
5. Who is ISIS?
6. Why not to admit that Pakistan has made real efforts and these splinter groups are on run so joining the ISIS in Afghanistan which is under US control?
7. Isn't the ISIS proxy of US & West so also fully supported by Israel and R&AW in Afghanistan?
8. What about US own defence officials admission about Pakistan's efforts in war against these terrorists?
9. Do you want to impose these allegations just to save your face despite all our losses from children to adults, students to Labour, civilians to Military personnel etc?
10. Wouldn't this affect the on going talks for peace in Afghanistan that Pakistan is striving for?
11. What about the attacks by terrorists inside Pakistan from Afghanistan?
12. Aren't you suppose to do your job in Afghanistan with all those advance weaponry etc so we can eliminate them as well?
13. Are those words telling them Haqqani network that look we never attacked you but Pakistan?
14. What is the intention in this statement like just to make somebody happy & distract the attention of Pakistan from Op against them and defame Pakistan Military?
15. Is it the NDS and R&AW supported group that you are proving your innocence in front of them?
or
16. If Afghanistan is under US control then how these terrorists are still at large and ISIS is growing as another threat?

US own marines apprehended Latifullah Mehsud while he was en-route by NDS etc to meet his R&AW handlers which later confess the whole story in front of camera and video is already leaked. The double standards need an end now because you are also loosing your men in their. Petting the proxies will end in a total destruction hence action is needed. Such irresponsible statements will indeed sabotage the whole peace process which is not in favor of stable Afghanistan as well as this Region. Pakistan has suffered more than US in this war and one of the reason is Haqqani Network as well. There shouldn't be any difference in these groups though all are the terrorists and such statements will bring no good. It will be more feasible and fruitful that US may train the ANA to fight against terrorism rather operate in Pakistan and support the terrorism inside Pakistan.

@Horus @Irfan Baloch @notorious_eagle @Neutron @MaarKhoor @Bratva

A game my friend a game is bieng played, every body knows that eventually Taliban officially take over the Afghan Govt or may have big share so they want to make sure that Pakistan and Taliban must not have any working relation ship left. And more on above they want to push Pakistan into Afghanistan war to weaken Pakistan army so that they can create Arab spring type phenomina to get the chance to denuke us in the name of nuclear security.

A game my friend a game is bieng played, every body knows that eventually Taliban officially take over the Afghan Govt or may have big share so they want to make sure that Pakistan and Taliban must not have any working relation ship left. And more on above they want to push Pakistan into Afghanistan war to weaken Pakistan army so that they can create Arab spring type phenomina to get the chance to denuke us in the name of nuclear security.

I was recently reading that almost 35 districts are under full control of Taliban in Afghanistan yet another 35 are insisted. The working relation was indeed the US choice made last time and we are helping them not just in talks but as well as by eliminating these groups alas their Do More policy never changes but it become more threatening in these days.

US and their new allies (our beloved neighbour) financing and planing attacks inside Pakistan so that one day we loose our cool and launch counter offensive strikes inside Afghanistan and then a never ending war will start between Afghanistan and Pakistan and result you know they don't have anything to loose and we have every thing.

Indeed, this is what they want us by going offensive in Afghanistan yet the will become a reason for hatred towards us among Afghans. We surely need to play smart and have to keep in view each and every aspect. I believe that is why we never opted such strategy however, the Chankya or whatever theory is at best for the moment. Every man has plans but ALLAH has own plans and the same will happen in the end though we have to remain faithful and we should strive for the betterment and good of not just our people but whole region.

US and their new allies (our beloved neighbour) financing and planing attacks inside Pakistan so that one day we loose our cool and launch counter offensive strikes inside Afghanistan and then a never ending war will start between Afghanistan and Pakistan and result you know they don't have anything to loose and we have every thing.
You used to be Indus falcon in old sunny days ?

US Will Not Target Haqqanis in Afghanistan
January 29, 2016
  • Ayaz Gul
B32C6ACD-901E-4AED-A84E-A16E3E1EF628_w1000_r1_s.jpg

Army Lt. Gen. John Nicholson Jr., seen in this Jan. 28, 2016 photo, is picked to lead US and NATO forces in Afghanistan. He says the U.S. is not targeting Haqqanis in Afghanistan.

ISLAMABAD —
The United States military for the first time has categorically stated its counterterrorism operations in Afghanistan are not targeting the Haqqani network of militants, which is fighting alongside the Taliban.

The comment this week by Lieutenant General John “Mick” Nicholson, picked to lead US and NATO forces in Afghanistan, has come as a surprise to regional analysts who say it could be signaling a shift in Washington’s policy to promote Afghan peace and reconciliation efforts.

“They are not part of that designation right now…The Haqqanis are principally a focus of the Afghan security forces,” Nicholson told the Senate Armed Services Committee on Thursday when asked wether U.S. forces target the Haqqanis as part of their counterterrorism mission in Afghanistan.

Nicholson went on to explain that the focus of U.S. counterterrorism actions are militants linked to al-Qaida and Islamic State group to prevent them from becoming a threat to the United States. Around 10,000 U.S. forces are stationed in Afghanistan as part of NATO-led Resolute Support mission to train and advise Afghan security forces and conduct counterterrorism operations.

But he reiterated the Haqqani network is “the number one threat” to American forces in the country and a “severe threat” to the Afghan government.

U.S. and Afghan officials have long alleged that Haqqanis together with the Taliban are using their bases in Pakistani border territory for attacks inside Afghanistan.

Nicholson reiterated those concerns in his testimony, saying the United States has not been satisfied that Pakistan has put enough pressure on the Haqqanis to prevent cross-border attacks.

“I view it as a serious problem and this has been one of the principal challenges. It is a sanctuary that our enemies and particularly the Haqqani network have enjoyed inside Pakistan,” he said.

The head of Islamabad-based Institute of Strategic Studies, Masood Khan, while commenting on the U.S. general’s comments regarding the Haqqani network says principal interlocutors need to “signal flexibility.”

Afghan, Pakistani, U.S. and Chinese officials have recently initiated a four-way peace process aimed at resurrecting stated talks between the Kabul government and the Taliban.

The contract group has held two meetings this month while a third is scheduled for February 6 in Islamabad.

“It is absolutely imperative to bring Afghan Taliban to the negotiating table. Pakistan believes that the best way to do this is through well-considered incentivization and inducement. Neither coercion nor weak blandishments would work,” said Khan.

Nicholson praised the quadrilateral talks as “a great leap forward”, saying it should result in a road map for further Afghan peace talks.

“These talks are encouraging; I see reconciliation as the path towards a negotiated settlement that brings about the end of conflict in Afghanistan.”

The Haqqani network has carried out some of the most sophisticated guerrilla attacks and suicide bombings in Afghanistan against both local as well as foreign targets.

Lately, it has focused its raids on targets in Kabul. The group's leadership U.S. officials believe has links to the Pakistani spy agency, charges Islamabad denies.

My Questions to Him?

1. Whose mess is Haqqani etc?
2. Isn't Pakistan already busy clearing their mess?
3. Pakistan is already in war against terrorism despite any group with no exceptions which is the fruit of cold war era, isn't it?
4. Didn't they see Pakistan's efforts to bring peace in the Afghanistan and Region?
5. Who is ISIS?
6. Why not to admit that Pakistan has made real efforts and these splinter groups are on run so joining the ISIS in Afghanistan which is under US control?
7. Isn't the ISIS proxy of US & West so also fully supported by Israel and R&AW in Afghanistan?
8. What about US own defence officials admission about Pakistan's efforts in war against these terrorists?
9. Do you want to impose these allegations just to save your face despite all our losses from children to adults, students to Labour, civilians to Military personnel etc?
10. Wouldn't this affect the on going talks for peace in Afghanistan that Pakistan is striving for?
11. What about the attacks by terrorists inside Pakistan from Afghanistan?
12. Aren't you suppose to do your job in Afghanistan with all those advance weaponry etc so we can eliminate them as well?
13. Are those words telling them Haqqani network that look we never attacked you but Pakistan?
14. What is the intention in this statement like just to make somebody happy & distract the attention of Pakistan from Op against them and defame Pakistan Military?
15. Is it the NDS and R&AW supported group that you are proving your innocence in front of them?
or
16. If Afghanistan is under US control then how these terrorists are still at large and ISIS is growing as another threat?

US own marines apprehended Latifullah Mehsud while he was en-route by NDS etc to meet his R&AW handlers which later confess the whole story in front of camera and video is already leaked. The double standards need an end now because you are also loosing your men in their. Petting the proxies will end in a total destruction hence action is needed. Such irresponsible statements will indeed sabotage the whole peace process which is not in favor of stable Afghanistan as well as this Region. Pakistan has suffered more than US in this war and one of the reason is Haqqani Network as well. There shouldn't be any difference in these groups though all are the terrorists and such statements will bring no good. It will be more feasible and fruitful that US may train the ANA to fight against terrorism rather operate in Pakistan and support the terrorism inside Pakistan.

@Horus @Irfan Baloch @notorious_eagle @Neutron @MaarKhoor @Bratva
I can answer all your questions ..... but I don't know what type of answers will suit on PDF. It's international forum after all........

I can answer all your questions ..... but I don't know what type of answers will suit on PDF. It's international forum after all........

Sir.... IMO PDF is not like US congressmen that want to hear what suits them despite truth, falls or conspiracy.

While asking those questions, I have my observations, answers and findings about those questions. Sometimes answer lies within question though those are not questions but to remind something to them yet to realize and be realistic after all.

You can have your say on PDF but shouldn't be conspiracy theory or flaming I think.

Sir.... IMO PDF is not like US congressmen that want to hear what suits them despite truth, falls or conspiracy.

While asking those questions, I have my observations, answers and findings about those questions. Sometimes answer lies within question though those are not questions but to remind something to them yet to realize and be realistic after all.

You can have your say on PDF but shouldn't be conspiracy theory or flaming I think.
Then leave answers.......

But keep in mind that real show in Afghanistan is yet to begin....... when ISIS will began to take more bold steps.....

These Americans are a joke. For years they've been on our tail, pressuring us to deal with the Haqqani network, rightly or wrongly, and engage more enemies, now they've given it up themselves.

Here's the process I see, the US makes enemies, sets itself ambitious targets, fails its targets, creates more enemies, mismanages and blames others, blames Pakistan, asks Pakistan to do more to engage certain groups, if and when we do it, we're left high and dry when their will gives in.

Here's the joke hypocrisy:

-Tell us not to negotiate with fighting groups.
-They themselves start negotiations with groups in Afghanistan.

-Tell us to do more to deal with the Haqqani network.
-Effectively stop targeting them themselves.

-Tell us to do more to crackdown on terrorists on our side.
-Yet half of Afghanistan is still under taliban control or heavily contested, and while they continue to ask us to do our part and win their war for them, they draw down and prepare to give up.

Then leave answers.......

But keep in mind that real show in Afghanistan is yet to begin....... when ISIS will began to take more bold steps.....

Indeed Sir... but I would add it like .... Another show has to begun in Afghanistan though it has been always like a stage for shows if we take it like since recent cold war era but it goes beyond. Hopefully we wouldn't fall for the show this time yet already had enough classes to learn. Time to understand and take steps IMO but when I look at our diplomacy, Democracy and political leadership, it's like going black or having trauma. ALLAH may help us and give us strength but it will happen only when we will strive for.

It's simply down to the threat levels aimed at the US homeland. ISIS is now an emerging threat in Afghanistan. The Haqqanis have never had any plans to attack US interests outside their theatre. It will be interesting to see how things progress from here. I do wish for peace in Afghanistan. They have seen too much death.

It's simply down to the threat levels aimed at the US homeland. ISIS is now an emerging threat in Afghanistan. The Haqqanis have never had any plans to attack US interests outside their theatre. It will be interesting to see how things progress from here. I do wish for peace in Afghanistan. They have seen too much death.
What worse can happen for us in Afghanistan???
When both ISI & RAW will collide to gain control over ISIS........
It's like playing with fire. If negotiation between Taliban and Afghan government succeed then the count down for TTP will start as they will lose safe heavens in Afghanistan......
At that moment RAW will try to manipulate ISIS in Afghanistan. All the resources of TTP will be absorbed into ISIS and new war between Taliban and ISIS will begun...... we must keep Taliban and Afghan armed forces on our side....... only then we will be able to obtain best results......

Frankly ISI can also take deep interest in ISIS as it is developing influence in India...... and I hate to say it will be a mistake by ISI......
Just use cards of refugees and navigation properly...... we can bring Afghanistan on our side....... but next stage of RAW backed ISIS will be very challenging.......

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom