What's new

US Will Not Target Haqqanis in Afghanistan

9/11 was a serious attack, which needed an effective response, which has been delivered. Not perfect, but nonetheless effective.

A response to 9/11 was justified, true, in fact, it was sanctioned by all neutral authorities. But the response we got was miles short of anything acceptable, let alone perfect.

A response to 9/11 was justified, true, in fact, it was sanctioned by all neutral authorities. But the response we got was miles short of anything acceptable, let alone perfect.

Sir, you are entitled to your opinion on whether the US response was up to the mark or not, but we both agree that a response was justified. USA did its best against an unprecedented attack.

It's simply down to the threat levels aimed at the US homeland. ISIS is now an emerging threat in Afghanistan. The Haqqanis have never had any plans to attack US interests outside their theatre. It will be interesting to see how things progress from here. I do wish for peace in Afghanistan. They have seen too much death.
The way I see it, either they've finally realized that the Pakistani position is correct "can't negotiate and fight at the same time", or they've failed to realize that they're being hypocritical.

Sir, you are entitled to your opinion on whether the US response was up to the mark or not, but we both agree that a response was justified. USA did its best against an unprecedented attack.

My criticism is not of spite, at least that is not my intention, I do however wish that things could have been different, better rather. I don't lament the loss of what could have been either, yet it is important to know the intricacies of what went wrong.

I'm sure even as we disagree, you yourself will feel similarly about some aspects of the past, I am unfortunately required to not be so one-sided and block-headed in my criticism and realise that this is the real world we're discussing and some degree of dissatisfaction is necessary, especially when considering that the dissatisfaction is dealt to cynic such as yours truly.

Anyway, at the very least, one can hope to learn from the past for better, there are aspects of the US' effort that I don't praise enough.

My criticism is not of spite, at least that is not my intention, I do however wish that things could have been different, better rather. I don't lament the loss of what could have been either, yet it is important to know the intricacies of what went wrong.

I'm sure even as we disagree, you yourself will feel similarly about some aspects of the past, I am unfortunately required to not be so one-sided and block-headed in my criticism and realise that this is the real world we're discussing and some degree of dissatisfaction is necessary, especially when considering that the dissatisfaction is dealt to cynic such as yours truly.

Anyway, at the very least, one can hope to learn from the past for better, there are aspects of the US' effort that I don't praise enough.

Very well said, since it is a hallmark of the intelligent to learn from their past mistakes. For all sides concerned.

Very well said, since it is a hallmark of the intelligent to learn from their past mistakes. For all sides concerned.
I suppose @Jungibaaz is waffling because Muslims have a great deal of trouble deciding, or expressing, when exactly it's appropriate for non-Muslims to kill Muslims. It's what did the Taliban in after 9/11: According to The Arabs at War in Afghanistan Mullah Omar had explicitly denied Osama Binladen permission for al-Qaeda to attack the U.S. yet stood with OBL afterwards because he was "an honest Muslim". Imagine how history would have been different if the Taliban had stuck to the letter of international law and common decency and turned on al-Qaeda instead of trying to shield it.

These Americans are a joke. For years they've been on our tail, pressuring us to deal with the Haqqani network, rightly or wrongly, and engage more enemies, now they've given it up themselves.

Here's the process I see, the US makes enemies, sets itself ambitious targets, fails its targets, creates more enemies, mismanages and blames others, blames Pakistan, asks Pakistan to do more to engage certain groups, if and when we do it, we're left high and dry when their will gives in.

Here's the joke hypocrisy:

-Tell us not to negotiate with fighting groups.
-They themselves start negotiations with groups in Afghanistan.

-Tell us to do more to deal with the Haqqani network.
-Effectively stop targeting them themselves.

-Tell us to do more to crackdown on terrorists on our side.
-Yet half of Afghanistan is still under taliban control or heavily contested, and while they continue to ask us to do our part and win their war for them, they draw down and prepare to give up.
Take the hint, US is giving you guys a free pass to make kabul tow your line.

I suppose @Jungibaaz is waffling because Muslims have a great deal of trouble deciding, or expressing, when exactly it's appropriate for non-Muslims to kill Muslims. It's what did the Taliban in after 9/11: According to The Arabs at War in Afghanistan Mullah Omar had explicitly denied Osama Binladen permission for al-Qaeda to attack the U.S. yet stood with OBL afterwards because he was "an honest Muslim". Imagine how history would have been different if the Taliban had stuck to the letter of international law and common decency and turned on al-Qaeda instead of trying to shield it.

Nice straw man argument, try to read with your own eyes if you're capable of it. For such a well spoken individual, you seem to lack the comprehension skills found in any given child.

Anyone can post such straw man arguments, although I wouldn't stoop so low, how very pathetic.

Take the hint, US is giving you guys a free pass to make kabul tow your line.

That's a natural progression, but the years of drama before it are still worth remembering.

Nice straw man argument, try to read with your own eyes if you're capable of it. For such a well spoken individual, you seem to lack the comprehension skills found in any given child.
I cited your particular case as a derivative of the general case, which I supported with an example closely related to the one you provided. That doesn't make it a "straw man" argument.

Or did I mis-comprehend something? Perhaps you would like to be more detailed in your opinion of what was wrong with the U.S. response to 9/11, other than "miles short of anything acceptable, let alone perfect." For if you weren't referring to the U.S. killing Muslim combatants as unacceptable, what were you referring to?

I cited your particular case as a derivative of the general case, which I supported with an example closely related to the one you provided. That doesn't make it a "straw man" argument.

Or did I mis-comprehend something? Perhaps you would like to be more detailed in your opinion of what was wrong with the U.S. response to 9/11, other than "miles short of anything acceptable, let alone perfect." For if you weren't referring to the U.S. killing Muslim combatants as unacceptable, what were you referring to?

Glad to know we're on the same page on the fact that I did not wilfully specify any particular reason for my disapproval of the US' policies or particular instances of the response to 9/11. Yet you still, somehow managed to assume all too much from empty rhetoric of mine, now this is what you said:

Muslims have a great deal of trouble deciding, or expressing, when exactly it's appropriate for non-Muslims to kill Muslims. It's what did the Taliban in after 9/11: According to The Arabs at War in Afghanistan Mullah Omar had explicitly denied Osama Binladen permission for al-Qaeda to attack the U.S. yet stood with OBL afterwards because he was "an honest Muslim". Imagine how history would have been different if the Taliban had stuck to the letter of international law and common decency and turned on al-Qaeda instead of trying to shield it.

Please tell me, at which point exactly did I specify what my arguments were and why, or how your response is disproportionate, odd and uncalled for? Straw man yet again.

Indeed it is like someone mentioning the mere subject and a political position, and you kicking off about the details of it, assuming all too much of the arguments made.

Nowhere of course did I even mention the subject of the morality of killing, non-Muslims, Muslims, aliens and other creatures... yet you did not hesitate there either.:)

As for the specifics of my criticisms of the response to 9/11 they range from, knee-jerk reactions from US policy makers, and in their rhetoric when they should have been both more cautious and calculated, to actual policies such as supporting sectarian divisions on the ground during and after the invasion, through into the nation-building process.

If you want a detailed outline, I'd be happy to give it...

Be warned however, you will have no quarter to operate on legitimately, my criticisms are not unique to people of my opinion, they are damning aspects of the last 15 years, although, I would say, some do seem inevitable, since at the time that they occurred, we did not have the benefit of hindsight we have now, or any such foresight as is certain, feigned or ineffective.

Now, here's the distinction. Those were mistakes and it'd be one thing to excuse them happening without the benefit of knowing the results we see now, it is another to see results and to hopelessly defend such things...

Which you are most welcome to do, but it is inadvisable.

These Americans are a joke. For years they've been on our tail, pressuring us to deal with the Haqqani network, rightly or wrongly, and engage more enemies, now they've given it up themselves.

Have the Americans sanctioned us or hurt us in any way because of our connections with the Haqqani Network? I know you might talk about the F-16s and the traitor/backstabbing ally talk, but I feel that's all the work of outraged Congressmen and politicians and not the bureaucracy. If their words have dealt us extremely little trouble, then I don't understand why we should be taking it seriously.
To be honest, I've been beginning to think the Americans have been giving us a free hand. Our track record in Afghanistan hasn't be

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom