What's new

US to Provide Pakistan Harpoon missiles

melb4aust

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Washington: Bush administration is considering to provide 370 million dollars worth of Boeing's Harpoon missile and its spares to Pakistan. These are the advance version of antiship-missles, most of the asian countries lack this technical defense. Pentagon has released a letter to the congress counter part to approve the sale of 150 missiles. These missiles can be fired from both air-crafts, submarines and from navy ships.

http://www.jang.com.pk/jang/jun2006-daily/01-06-2006/topst/main3.gif

The missiles are sophisticated. U.S will not give us transfer of technology, so basically we dont have resources or technology to build them. Our fleet will get mature once our F-22P Frigates are done, then the naval fleet will have the weaponry compromises of chinese and western technology. It is possible that we will get transfer of technology of some chinese/russian missiles with the F-22P deal.

Its not easy to do that. We dont have to copy it.

The way you want to do it, is the way how indians want us to do it, and they usually taunt us with it. They think that all the nuclear weapons and missiles we have are imported from other nations, they believe that we dont have the capability of making nuclear and cruise missiles by our own, and under estimating is their only biggest mistake, but i am really sure that Indian Military is not that of a fool compare to some Indian military jokers trolling around the internet. The behavior can be seen on strategypage, i was shocked by it. However, not all are same, few good Indians can be seen here.

What i believe we can do is research into it and possibly create a better missile, with some modifications to suit our needs, and that is nothing like copying or reverse-engineering, those who want to say it, let them clown, we have our missile, capability, and a way to secure our defenses.

FMS Pakistan HARPOON Block II Anti-ship Missiles
04a7343d3d09bed10ec99f1f0c9af87b.jpg

The HARPOON Block II system (pictured) will provide a significant upgrade to Pakistan's existing systems and allow for improved target acquisition.
by Staff Writers
Washington DC (SPX) Jun 01, 2006
The Defense Security Cooperation Agency notified Congress of a possible Foreign Military Sale to Pakistan of HARPOON Block II Anti-ship Missiles as well as associated equipment and services. The total value, if all options are exercised, could be as high as $370 million.
The Government of Pakistan has requested a possible sale of;
- 50 UGM-84L (submarine-launched),
- 50 RGM-84L (surface-launched),
- and 30 AGM-84L (air-launched) Block II HARPOON missiles;
- 5 Encapsulated HARPOON Command Launch Systems;
- 115 containers;
- missile modifications;
- training devices;
- spare and repair parts;
- technical support;
- support equipment;
- personnel training and training equipment;
- technical data and publications;
- U.S. Government and contractor engineering and logistics support services;
- and other related elements of logistics support.

The estimated cost is $370 million.
This proposed sale will contribute to the foreign policy and national security of the United States by helping to improve the security of a friendly country that continues to be a key ally in the global war on terrorism.
Pakistan intends to use the HARPOON systems on its P-3 aircraft, surface ships, and submarines. The Pakistan [FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Navy[/FONT][/FONT] currently has AGM-84 Block I air/surface/subsurface launch capability and recently accepted the Block II air- and surface-launched HARPOON.
The AGM-84, HARPOON Block II upgraded targeting capability significantly reduces the risk of hitting non-combatant targets thus improving Pakistan's naval operational flexibility. Pakistan will have no difficulty absorbing these additional missiles into its armed forces.
The HARPOON Block II system will provide a significant upgrade to Pakistan's existing systems and allow for improved target acquisition. The system has an increased number of waypoints associated with missile flight and incorporates a Global Positioning System that allows for precision use.
The proposed sale of this equipment and support will not affect the basic military balance in the region.
The prime contractor will be The Boeing Company of St. Louis, Missouri. There are no known offset agreements proposed in connection with this potential sale.
Implementation of this proposed sale will require several U.S. Government and contractor representatives to travel to Pakistan on a temporary basis in conjunction with program technical and management oversight and support requirements.
There will be no adverse impact on U.S. defense readiness as a result of this proposed sale.
This notice of a potential sale is required by law; it does not mean that the sale has been concluded.

http://www.spacewar.com/reports/FMS_Pakistan_HARPOON_Block_II_Anti_ship_Missiles.html

RAPTOR said:
The good thing is...theyre GPS guided.

GPS signals can be scrambled during conflicts by the U.S. (it can even be done for specific area) or so i have read.

master_fx said:
rofl..... i am sure pakistani have bunch of c-802s.....

Are Harpoon's better than the french Exocet's or the C-802? (Wasnt the C-802 fired by Hezbolla agains the Israeli ship?)

May I just point out to the american haters here that Harpoon Block 2, the few hundred given to Pakistan, is more advanced than ANY of the Harpoons in the American Navy? But nooo, Americans want to invade Pakistan only.

Yes they eventually want to attack Pakistan that's why they are giving Harpoons... TOWs... AMRAAMs... ooops

Comparing the C-802 to the Harpoon is like comparing a kitchen knife to a calvary sword.

There are HARDLY ANY America-haters here buddy. Take a good look around. Your pre-conceived notions and a stereo-type mind are showing too blatantly.

However you will find plently who do NOT agree with American foreign policy and its double standards.

Next time, before making accusations such as 'America haters' and what not, make sure you have ample evidence against someone in the first place. I do not want to see any such thing again.

Sid said:
There are HARDLY ANY America-haters here buddy. Take a good look around. Your pre-conceived notions and a stereo-type mind are showing too blatantly.

However you will find plently who do NOT agree with American foreign policy and its double standards.

Come on sid..juts peep into the middleastern thread and see for yourself.
Preconcieved notion my foot.

sigatoka said:
Are Harpoon's better than the french Exocet's or the C-802? (Wasnt the C-802 fired by Hezbolla agains the Israeli ship?)

The Harpoon block2 is far superior to the french exocet and the C802.

Back
Top Bottom