What's new

US to handover a Naval ship ‘BNS Somudro Joy’ to Bangladesh

Lol didn't see the 1990 part. Then the upgrades now would cost more than 55 mn i guess. Btw check this out:
results

As per this site the unit cost was 69 million.

Unit cost is not same as what BD paid for it. And there wont be any upgrade in BD, it will just be renovation, so its virtually free.

Mellon717_1.jpg

Unit cost is not same as what BD paid for it. And there wont be any upgrade in BD, it will just be renovation, so its virtually free.

That's what I was saying that if not upgrades then it would be free. But I don't know if upgrades in the 90s are still relevant today even as per BD navy's requirements. The article still mention it as foreign sales of excess unwanted US military hardware.

Cost of refurbish and training was $10 million USD ...

cost of refitting is still unknown...

armaments:-

AK–176M main gun, 2x Type 730B CIWS,, 1×8 FM-90N SAM launcher/FL-3000N, 2×4 C-803 SSM launchers, 2× 3 torpedo launchers, 2×6 asw anti-submarine rockets & ASW helicopter on board
@Imran Khan @arp2041 @hinduguy

Last edited by a moderator:
Cost of refurbish and training was $10 million USD ...

cost of refitting is still unknown...

armaments:-

AK–176M main gun, 2x Type 730B CIWS,, 1×8 FM-90N SAM launcher/FL-3000N, 2×4 C-803 SSM launchers, 2× 3 torpedo launchers, 2×6 asw anti-submarine rockets & ASW helicopter on board
@Imran Khan @arp2041 @hinduguy

WTF AK176 soviet gun chinees and russian weapons were doing on a US naval ship ?

Ex-Coast Guard cutter to serve Bangladesh - San Francisco Chronicle

Ex-Coast Guard cutter to serve Bangladesh
Michael Macor, The Chronicle
Coast Guard Capt. Gregory Berg, commanding officer of the Jarvis' last crew, waits to hand over the ship's long glass to a Bangladeshi captain in Alameda.
By Vivian Ho, May 24, 2013

Several dozen members of the U.S. Coast Guard stood at attention along the rails of the cutter Jarvis at an Alameda pier Thursday. On the dock, another crew also stood at attention, their white uniforms bearing the seal of the Bangladeshi navy.

It would be the last time a U.S. crew would be aboard the Jarvis, a 378-foot behemoth that has served the Coast Guard since before many of the Americans were born. And for the Bangladeshis, it would be the first time they would board the ship as its crew.

The occasion was the decommissioning of the Jarvis at Coast Guard Island, the American flag lowered from its bow and stern for the first time in 41 years. As the Jarvis' commanding officer handed the ship's long glass to the Bangladeshi captain, ownership of the vessel passed from one nation to the other.

In recent years the cutter was based out of Honolulu, and served as a search-and-rescue and law enforcement vessel for the Coast Guard.

"I can't count the number of lives saved, the thousands of metric tons of contraband confiscated," said Vice Adm. Paul Zukunft.

The Jarvis is one of 12 high-endurance cutters that the Coast Guard is replacing with new vessels. The service is selling the decommissioned cutters for an undisclosed amount to countries looking to heighten their maritime presence.

Two have been sold to the Philippines and another to Nigeria, the Coast Guard said.

The Jarvis ran its last Coast Guard patrol in September. In March, 20 Bangladeshi sailors arrived for training.

The United States has sold response ships to the Bangladeshi navy before, but Jarvis is the first cutter to join the ranks. The navy renamed the ship the Somudra Joy.

Bryan Wright of the Coast Guard holds the former cutter Jarvis' retired colors at the ceremony.

Capt. Mohammad Nazmul Karim Kislu, the cutter's new commanding officer, said his country intends to continue using the cutter for search-and-rescue and law enforcement.

Bangladesh also has a long history of assisting the United Nations in peacekeeping. Kislu said that he spent some of his naval career patrolling the coast of Lebanon to catch illegal arms traders and that the Somudra Joy will probably be pressed into service for those efforts.

"This is a great moment," Kislu said. "We hope to keep the ship running for 20, 30 years more."

Capt. Gregory Burg, commanding officer of the last Jarvis crew, described the day as "bittersweet."

"Whatever ship you command, you grow very fond of it," Burg said. "I know Capt. Kislu and his crew will take great care of it, but it's very hard for me. It's kind of like part of me was transferred today."

Robert Stranathan, who served on the Jarvis' first crew and saw it come out of the shipyard in 1972, expressed sadness as well.

The flag of Bangladesh now flies at the stern of the vessel as, Hussein Bellail, (left) and Abdul Qader, with the Bangladesh navy make the exchange, in Alameda, Calif. on Thurs. May 23, 2013. The Coast Guard Cutter Jarvis a 378 foot long, high endurance cutter home-ported in Alameda, Calif. is decommissioned and transferred to the Bangladesh Navy as the BNS Somudro Joy, during a ceremony on Coast Guard Island.

"But for its future, I'm glad to see it remain in service somewhere," he said.

Never look a Gift horse in the mouth..

The best answer should be what we say in Bangla, 'Vikkhar Chal Tar Knara Ar Aknara?' I wonder why people should be whining like women instead of congratulating the handover. We should show gratitude to the USA, instead. It is a 1972 production, but it has gone renovation in the 1990s.

She received a $55 million Fleet Rehabilitation and Modernization Program (FRAM) upgrade at Todd Pacific Shipyards in Seattle, Washington between July 1990 and December 1992.

Moreover, BN will throw away most of the weapons and fittings, and re-fix its armaments to grade this ship up from a US coast guard cutter to a Bangladesh navy's largest frigate. So, ultimately we will get only the hull of the ship and engines which have proved very reliable.

This boat has large reserve oil tanks and has a ferry range of 14,000 km. No other BN Frigate has this capability.

@BDforever hey do you know anything about another ship to be gifted by the US in the next year? I probably saw something like that in a FB page.

What is the basis of your statement, as far as I know pakistan spends much more on defence and have a fleet of submarines and bigger vessels. What is going to change in five years.

It is perfectly possible that the BD Navy will be the 2nd most powerful after India within 5 years in South Asia.

Although Pakistan spends around 3 times more on defence, most of that goes on the army and air-force leaving only a small percentage for the navy.

BD on the other hand seems to be really using it's scarce funds to focus on the navy due to it's interests in the Bay of Bengal.

At the least the two navies will end up quite evenly matched but we will see.

Back
Top Bottom