What's new

‘US to expand military ties with India, no decision on F-35

F-35 for the IAF is now a non-starter. The IAF will not be inducting THREE different types of 5th gen fighters (FGFA,AMCA and F-35). And anyway the F-35's utility to the IAF over and above what the FGFA and or AMCA bring to them is negligable if not non-existent.
Yes, FGFA and F 35 would be redundant to each other and i don't think anyone (if at all) can afford that kind of luxary, besides to develop a complete weapon system around each fighter would be a nightmare. we are better off with our money and patience on Sukhoi.
For the IN it all depends on a few things, firstly whether the N-FGFA is ready in time to be deployed from day 1 on the IAC-2 and if the N-FGFA has been modified to operate from catapults as the IAC-2 will almost certainly be CATOBAR configured. Secondly as the IN seriously wants EMALS, will the US push for a "bundle" deal wherein the F-35 comes with the EMALS tech (along with the E-2D in most probability)? And then it comes down to the IN's own thinking, will they push for the flawed F-35C over and above,say, the RAFALE-M or F-18 SILENT HORNET
Can you pl. forsee which next gen carrier based fighters might be around in next 10-15 years in IOR Chinese navy included. To my mind in Australian-China and South Asian region, only India and China might be in a position to field any Gen 5 fighter in their navy in next quarter of century and a lot would depend on development sucess of N-FGFA, J-31 and if Australia buys F-35 in significant numbers.

Mate, just found the post on LIVEFIST, and considering SHIV AROOR is not the most reliable journo, my take is the Naval Cheif is saying the N-LCA is the IN's PRESENT FOCUS at this point right now. Did he rule out the F-35 or a N-MMRCA competition?? NO! Remember we are talking about 4-5 years down the line (when the contracts for these fighters needs to be signed) so naturally this wouldn't be the IN's most immediate focus.

I suppose Admiral knows his priorities right. The first big ticket procurement on his mind surely would be more submarines and possibly a second AC. Going by the lessons learnt from IAC 1, things should be slightly smoother, but Admiral knows well that by the time he gets to lay his hands on a bigger AC, aircrafts being discussed would surely have matured and that will make his decession to choose much easier.

Can you pl. forsee which next gen carrier based fighters might be around in next 10-15 years in IOR Chinese navy included. To my mind in Australian-China and South Asian region, only India and China might be in a position to field any Gen 5 fighter in their navy in next quarter of century and a lot would depend on development sucess of N-FGFA, J-31 and if Australia buys F-35 in significant numbers.
If we are talking about embarked 5th gen air power ie launched off ACCs then, yes, the Indian and Chinese navies will be the only navies in the Asian region who will have such capabilities for the foreseeable future if we discount the USN that also has a significant presence in the Asian region and is in fact growing this presence. Australia is a moot point as it has zero plans for an ACC additionally Japan shows no interest in developing an ACC and,in fact, is bound constitutionally not to develop such offensive military hardware- but this could change as even now the Japense govt is looking into changing this element of its constitution. Also Japan could embark F-35Bs on their LHDs, but it's uncertain right now.

I don't think anyone in the reason has much to fear from the J-31.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom