What's new

US-Taliban deal could see US pullout in 14 months

OIC must step in and bring rich Muslim nations to pledge to help Afghan financially once Afghan government and Taliban reach peace deal.

"Once they reach a deal" is too slow, because million of refugees maybe going back soon, and the drop in NATO funding will leave a gap that will be filled with more Narcotics, more Smuggling, and other potentially terrible options for people use to making enough to support themselves. I agree OIC should help, but so should NATO nations, otherwise many of these people will be well on their way to OIC and NATO countries. Funding to rebuild cities will also employ a lot of people who were former combatants on all sides.

Getting countries to commit to funding will take months at the very least. Saudi and the GCC will need to spend big to rebuild Yemen to make sure that nation stabilizes, and may even spend in Syria. By the time, the factions in Afghanistan reach a deal, there maybe donor fatigue, or Afghanistan will be yesterday's news.

This is time, when the World's attention is on Afghanistan, that commitments need to be extracted.

I would say that 19 years of hammering have made Afghan Taliban realize their own mistakes and they have now committed to (American) War On Terror regime without ifs and buts as a whole. This is exactly what US demanded from both Pakistan and Afghan Taliban back in 2001.

While Pakistan committed 100% to the cause, Afghan Taliban are like 17 years late to come to terms with American demands from them. This wasn't an easy change for Afghan Taliban though but a lengthy journey of soul-searching and coming to terms with new realities.

Therefore, my take is that this is not defeat of US but another accomplishment under its belt besides defeating Al-Qaeda Network in the region.

However, this is also a victory of sorts for Afghan Taliban for holding its own against overwhelming odds throughout and reclaiming their lost political legitimacy finally.

completely disagree with this one. Your view is that a foreign power with no land routes and a Reduced force of 15k troops defeated a local force that controls 70% of the afghan territory. this is a la la land point of view. The simple question to ask here is why would these opposition forces in Afghanistan just not wait the Americans out. :yahoo:

The Truth is that after spending 750 billion in Afghanistan sense has prevailed and as long as there are no major attacks against the foreign troops the us will leave ASAP before the election. A wise policy of the president Trump a wise man indeed. he will bring the boys home safe and sound from this pointless endeavor a lot like he did in Syria.

KV

I would say that 19 years of hammering have made Afghan Taliban realize their own mistakes and they have now committed to (American) War On Terror regime without ifs and buts as a whole. This is exactly what US demanded from both Pakistan and Afghan Taliban back in 2001.

While Pakistan committed 100% to the cause, Afghan Taliban are like 17 years late to come to terms with American demands from them. This wasn't an easy change for Afghan Taliban though but a lengthy journey of soul-searching and coming to terms with new realities.

Therefore, my take is that this is not defeat of US but another accomplishment under its belt besides defeating Al-Qaeda Network in the region.

However, this is also a victory of sorts for Afghan Taliban for holding its own against overwhelming odds throughout and reclaiming their lost political legitimacy finally.

Good post overall.
It's hard to say who is the 'winner' here. Americans have managed to secure guarantees from Talibans about preventing attack on America and its soil from Taliban controlled territory. But it has cost Americans $750 billion, 2300 soldiers dead and thousands more injured. Talibans have paid a heavy price: Lost their rule in Afghanistan, lost tens of thousands of their followers but are now almost certain to be the dominant player even in a coalition setup in Afghanistan.

As to what Talibans should have done in the Fall of 2001? I think they SHOULD have surrendered OBL to America unconditionally. It's still possible, due to the rage in America then, handing over of a couple of big name terrorists wouldn't stop America from still destroying the Taliban regime. But at least there was a chance to salvage some peace in Afghanistan. CIA knew well that Taliban was not a threat to America unlike Al Qaida was. In fact, Americans were working with the Taliban govt for some oil deals not long before 9/11.

Talibans made a huge blunder by not listening to Pakistan and so many other voices to surrender OBL and they have paid a huge price for that error. And it's very unfortunate for Pakistan that the decision taken by the Talibans had also made Pakistan pay a huge price.

In my opinion, this NY Times Editorial from a few hours ago sums up at least the American Establishment's understanding of the conflict in Afghanistan since 9/11; it is sort of an epilogue for this very sad era for so many millions.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/29/opinion/taliban-peace-deal-afghanistan.html

A War Without Winners Winds Down
The Trump administration’s deal with the Taliban recognizes the limits of American power.

The deal the Trump administration signed with the Taliban on Saturday is a ticket out of Afghanistan for American troops who’ve been there far too long. It is a quiet end to a conflict that began with vibrant clarity, if not strategic vision, and descended into bloody ambiguity.

The Afghan government was not involved in the negotiations, there’s no formal cease-fire and the agreement is only a step toward opening negotiations between the Taliban and other Afghans on a power-sharing agreement, a long shot at best.

Afghanistan will take its place in American history alongside Vietnam as a symbol of endless conflict and futile foreign entanglements. Different as the conflicts were, the echoes of Vietnam are clear — President Richard Nixon struck a deal with North Vietnam in January 1973 to pull American troops out of a prolonged, needless and very costly war.

That is not to say either deal was wrong. On the contrary, recognizing when a fight has become useless is the right thing to do. Americans have long run out of good reasons to continue dying and killing in a land whose many tribes make it notoriously difficult to govern and whose mountainous terrain renders it all but impossible to conquer. American soldiers deploying to the country as recently as last night had trouble articulating what their mission there was, short of making it home in one piece.

President Trump has made no secret of his aversion to foreign military entanglements, and he pledged to get the troops out. It’s an election year, but the politics of the moment should not obscure the fact that ending American involvement in the war is the right thing to do. And, unlike the precipitous withdrawal of American troops from northern Syria, this pullout catches no one by surprise. By November, the number of American troops remaining in Afghanistan should be well down from the current 12,000 or so, and the Taliban will most likely still be abiding by the deal to make sure the staged withdrawal continues until all the foreign troops are gone.

Though not involved in the talks, the Afghan government has been aware of the negotiations, and, under the agreement, the Americans will continue funding and supporting the Afghan military. That the military is in shambles after 18 years of American tutelage, and that the government of Afghanistan is deeply corrupt and bitterly contested since a disputed election, only underscore that brute military force by an outside power is helpless against deep-seated ethnic and ideological divisions. And propping up an Afghan government was not the reason the United States went to war there.

The reason was the 9/11 terrorist attacks, and the pressure to go after those responsible for so horrific an outrage. Afghanistan, much of it controlled by the staunchly Islamist Taliban, had provided sanctuary for Osama bin Laden, and so that is where American troops headed to wage President George W. Bush’s “war on terrorism” — and to seek retribution.

But the mission soon became fuzzy. By the time Bin Laden was hunted down in May 2011 — in Pakistan, and not in the Tora Bora caves of Afghanistan where Al Qaeda and Taliban had their strongholds — Al Qaeda was already a much weaker force, and the Taliban had been long driven from power. But American and allied forces remained.

The full futility of that effort was revealed in documents obtained by the Washington Post late last year from an investigation by the Special Inspector General for Afghanistan Reconstruction. They showed how for years, even as American government officials were claiming successes in building democratic government in Afghanistan, the military and civilian officials on the ground acknowledged the obvious — that it was an extraordinarily expensive — roughly $2 trillion over 18 years — and pointless exercise. Their unvarnished pronouncements, withheld from the public, were devastating: “I have no visibility into who the bad guys are,” wrote Donald Rumsfeld, the secretary of defense when the war began, in 2003. Twelve years and many billions of dollars later, General Douglas Lute, an Army general who served in the Bush and Obama administrations, told the inspector general, “We didn’t know what we were doing.”

Those revelations only confirmed what any honest assessment of the conflict had long ago concluded: American victory was never an option.

The new agreement offers no guarantee that the Taliban will not return to power, and the immediate reaction from the group was to declare victory. The major achievement for the United States was assurances that the Taliban would not give sanctuary to terrorist groups like Al Qaeda. A joint U.S.-Taliban monitoring body in Qatar will be charged with monitoring compliance with the agreement, and Mark Esper, the secretary of defense, who was with Afghan officials in Kabul while the withdrawal agreement was being signed in Doha, Qatar, in the presence of Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, emphasized that “the United States would not hesitate to nullify the agreement.”

But it is really for the Afghans to find ways of living in peace. It is in the next round of negotiations that the Taliban, other Afghan groups and the government will be called on to find ways of sharing power and to prevent a return to the fundamentalist Taliban rule that, among other things, banned girls and women from attending school or participating in public life. That is also where Afghans are to find ways to replace the “reduction in violence” called for in the agreement for a full cease-fire.

It would be good to believe that the tens of thousands of Americans who served in Afghanistan, and the more than 3,500 American and allied troops who laid down their lives there, and the untold thousands of Afghans killed in the war, did accomplish something positive in the end. That may be too much to hope, and there will be those who will denounce the Doha agreement as an election-year ploy and a sellout to the Taliban.

But with so little to show after all these years, it is hard to see what wiser path America could follow. “Everyone will agree that it is more honorable to end the fighting than to continue a conflict that has brought so much suffering,” this page wrote in 1973 of the Vietnam War agreement. “In that sense it is a ‘right kind of peace,’ deserving support in the hope that its calculated ambiguities can be transformed in time into the reality of an enduring settlement.”

Trump is telling the truth. The hunt has already started.

The hunt has been on for a few weeks. I seen many vague news reports of ISIS-K leaders being killed/assassinated by ISI in Afghanistan. Appears there a covert alliance between the ISI, Taliban, and Americans to pound these guys before the peace deal is signed. ISI is killing them covertly, Taliban is killing them overtly on the ground, and the Americans are killing them from the air. Confidence building for the American withdrawal. I think the Americans are hedging as well........in case the Kabul regime collapses on its own.

Good post overall.
it has cost Americans $750 billion, 2300 soldiers dead and thousands more injured.

The Americans paid exorbitant amount to the military contractors and the American figures are also too high. Most were spent of American equipment with salaries of workers, cost of the parts and profit of the corporations remaining in USA. There were also flying fuel supplies from Middle East in planes and per gallon cost was ten times higher when it arrived in Afghanistan. I would imagine only 25% of that figure will be reasonable estimate. What about 2.5 million Afghans who lost their lives in this war ?

I would say that 19 years of hammering have made Afghan Taliban realize their own mistakes and they have now committed to (American) War On Terror regime without ifs and buts as a whole.

:lol:

You seem to know more than the honourable Gen HG who said the Afghanistan is an excuse and Pakistan is the target.

Deep State (Zionist scum) have failed to break up Pakistan after 19 years of trying with India on board.

But as an American tattoo, you will believe in fairy tales out of State Department, the biggest liars on this earth. WMD and whatnot ...

Were the Americans smiling today? They've been begging Taliban for peace treaty despite 'wiping Afghanistan out' warnings.

Thank You Pak means Pak will get all She wants from US after US pull Pak capicity building is very important So I believe Pak US partnership will grow in all fields including military.so expect CSF issue resolution along equipment purchase from US finger crossed.
Plus again realignment of Turkey US relationship and Turkey s request for PAC 3 system from US along restarting F35 program its highly likely T129 engines will get US approval.

Last edited:
The Americans paid exorbitant amount to the military contractors and the American figures are also too high. Most were spent of American equipment with salaries of workers, cost of the parts and profit of the corporations remaining in USA. There were also flying fuel supplies from Middle East in planes and per gallon cost was ten times higher when it arrived in Afghanistan. I would imagine only 25% of that figure will be reasonable estimate. What about 2.5 million Afghans who lost their lives in this war ?

I had quoted $750 billion as cost for American adventure in Afghanistan. But now realize, per the above quoted NY Times Editorial, the cost was close to $2 TRILLION!!? Regardless, you are correct: Most of the money stayed in America, for Americans. It's a time tested skill the Beltway politicians and lobbies have to fatten themselves through wars; the 'aid' to Afghanistan was a very small amount of the total spent.
As to the Afghan losses, it is truly some staggering number. They have been suffering for 40 years.

PS. With the way the Ghani Presidency and the Abdullah Abdullah Chief Exec are fighting for control in Afghanistan it is no surprise that Afghanistan is a mess!! Shame on them! And Pakistan can certainly not be blamed for their latest ugly power politics.

Trump has been good to India:yay:

I wonder if rss still see him as a diety? :enjoy:

Taliban has won the war, we all know it , but the US is a treasonous country , they will betray the deal .

If they didnt betray ... well that would be rocking the boat :)

Peaceful nature is basic instinct of India.... It's really great to see finally a peace has prevailed in Afghanistan.... Cause of Indian presence in Afghanistan has prevailed... Taliban after working with Indians have also realized the value of peace and stability.... Some negative elements off course will be there but eventually they will also realize the importance of peace and stability and will merge into the main flow....
Let peace prevail... Let's hold each others hand and make this world a beautiful place once again....

Non sense.

India always forments trouble but hides behind it's peaceful image of Ghandi.

India used Afganistan as proxy to fight Pakistan, now that policy is up for a toss... the indian government is clearly upset.

India will have a lot of stake in rebuilding of Afghanistan. There is hardly any threat of taliban spillover as reiterated by their own leadership. And things go well, Afghanistan will need massive funds for infrastructure. And Indian contractors are already working in that area. We hardly have any influence in Taliban. But we have a lot of public goodwill and business presence.

how will india fund this?

given the fact your puppets are gone?...

:lol:

You seem to know more than the honourable Gen HG who said the Afghanistan is an excuse and Pakistan is the target.

Deep State (Zionist scum) have failed to break up Pakistan after 19 years of trying with India on board.

But as an American tattoo, you will believe in fairy tales out of State Department, the biggest liars on this earth. WMD and whatnot ...

Were the Americans smiling today? They've been begging Taliban for peace treaty despite 'wiping Afghanistan out' warnings.
I disagree with these perceptions. YOU do not pay billions of USD to a state that you are trying to disintegrate, period.

You have an inflated sense of supposed robustness of Pakistani society at large - the 'world is out to get us but WE defeated them all' syndrome. :rolleyes:

I suggest you study following book: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_the_Line_of_Fire:_A_Memoir

From a General who have greater credibility than General Hamid Gul ever will.

This war was about making a choice in our case - either WE commit to fighting rogue entities who seek to disrupt Global Peace and Order from AfPak region or join the list of failed states. I am glad that Pakistan chose the latter because US have certainly dispatched us to Stone Age otherwise.

And following reality as well: https://nation.com.pk/07-Dec-2019/iaea-commends-pakistan-s-measures-for-nuclear-security

Pakistani nuclear security regime committing to IAEA compliant safeguards with support of IAEA in order to foolproof itself against threats of terrorism and sabotage.

I am all for adopting all types of measures to secure lasting peace in Afghanistan and ensure a TERROR FREE AfPak region because Pakistan's economy is on the line (FATF shit).

Afghan Taliban have gotten the memo finally. Read the deal carefully or shall I post its terms here?

As for US begging Afghan Taliban for talks, you've got to be kidding me. Pakistan and Qatar worked tirelessly to make these talks happen. Afghan Taliban were the first to reach out to Americans to commence talks in 2018 - I saw a copy of this letter. American deep state was rather thinking about privatizing this war effort to appease its Military Industrial Complex for indefinite period because there aren't comparable testing grounds anywhere else. Pakistan's efforts paid off when Donald Trump took charge of the White House.

And please spare me the label of American Tattoo while you live in UK and enjoy its perks. Clowns everywhere. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
This war was about making a choice in our case - either WE commit to fighting rogue entities who seek to disrupt Global Peace and Order from AfPak region or join the list of failed states. I am glad that Pakistan chose the latter because US have certainly dispatched us to Stone Age otherwise.

I don't know why Pakistanis don't realize that had Musharraf not cooperated with America after 9/11 then Pakistan would truly be sent to the Stone Age! Even KSA and Qatar had broken diplomatic relations with the Taliban govt and every friend of Pakistan was advising Pakistan to cooperate with the Americans. India had openly offered everything the Americans might need to attack Afghanistan (and Pakistan!).

Talibans screwed up by following their tribal sense of 'hospitality' by not offering OBL. A very bad choice.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom