What's new

US: Sikh Attacked, Called 'Osama's Brother'

Well there's a serious lack of education and sensitivities towards minorities in the US and the US Sikh diaspora needs to share some blame as well. They should have been more proactive about reaching out to the average public especially after 9/11. If hate crimes like these still happen 10 years after 9/11 it proves how misconceptions are hard to remove and also how the Sikh community there has somewhat failed in educating people about their distinct identity. I know of Sikh groups in Aus and NZ who actively seek out edicational and govt. institutions and give presentations on Sikh history and identity. It greatly helps in educating people there. Something groups exist in UK as well, but since Sikhs have been there for long one never hears about a hate crime like this in UK.

Well there's a serious lack of education and sensitivities towards minorities in the US and the US Sikh diaspora needs to share some blame as well. They should have been more proactive about reaching out to the average public especially after 9/11. If hate crimes like these still happen 10 years after 9/11 it proves how misconceptions are hard to remove and also how the Sikh community there has somewhat failed in educating people about their distinct identity. I know of Sikh groups in Aus and NZ who actively seek out edicational and govt. institutions and give presentations on Sikh history and identity. It greatly helps in educating people there. Something similar happens in UK as well, but since Sikhs have been there for long one never hears about a hate crime like this in UK.

this exemplifies the spineless indian mentality.

when threatened on what they think is a religion basis, paralysis and fear sets in and they try to form distinctions they hope will save them.

the t-shirts something like "dont freak, i'm a sikh" has to be one example of this foolishness.

this is all very self centred and typical indian spinelessness i would say.

like the other indian that said.. "please, Americans, I'm begging you, before attacking anyone, please ask if they are indian or sikh".

what about, "don't attack anyone"?

Spineless? Educating people about your community is a spineless act?

---------- Post added at 11:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:31 PM ----------

Oh really? May I understand how so in your esteemed opinion?

I have seen that that many peoples in western countries judge others based on their look and majority views indians/pakistani/bengali as same . Many Indians friends of mine got the racist remars P a K I many times from gora loug lol Many western peoples called me inidan again and again when i told them many times that i am pakistani

when threatened on what they think is a religion basis, paralysis and fear sets in and they try to form distinctions they hope will save them.

First of all, dont pass judgements on a community or a nation. If being counted amongst the 95th percentile immigrant community in the US and being on top of every economic and social indicator is a result of being spineless, then I would gladly take that.

Second, proactively educating your countrymen isnt spineless, its solution oriented. And if fear would have set in then the community would have gone inactive or left enmasse. Did that happen? No, they decided to stay there and fight it our via greater publicity and education of their fellow countrymen. The fact that they probably didnt do a good enough job of that is a different matter but there are fringe lunatics like the black dude in every society and no matter of education will impact them.

And what do you mean by 'trying to form distinctions'? Its true that a turbaned Sikh might look like an Arab to an American unfamiliar with the Sikh community, but surely they aren't the same, are they?

I have Sikh friends in school. Yes, in the beginning they had to go through hell in school because of the Patka. Even some lady called police on the family, because they thought they wre 'terrorist'. No lie.

Takes courage to wear the Turban in a nation when thats considered completely alien.

This is why Seikhs need a independent state if they did , they would go to war with any nation that disrespects Seikhs

indian poilice man is taking off the turban of sikh

Last edited by a moderator:
^ I posted this to let peoples know that racism could also exist within a country and police man is a government servant and what was the need for him to take off the turban of Sikh which has religious significance for him.

I have Sikh friends in school. Yes, in the beginning they had to go through hell in school because of the Patka. Even some lady called police on the family, because they thought they wre 'terrorist'. No lie.

Takes courage to wear the Turban in a nation when thats considered completely alien.

there were some indians in my class and they used to be racially attacked in australia, its true no kidding, i sympathy with indians man

This is why Seikhs need a independent state if they did , they would go to war with any nation that disrespects Seikhs

Seikhs have a lot of independent states. Pretty much all the arab countries are run by Seikhs.:lol:

Back
Top Bottom