What's new

US Protactionism: America confirms duties on steel pipes from Vietnam, Malaysia, Thailand

Rubbish。

Ever heard of Sino-Vietnamese border trade?

These are custom figures which do not include the billions of dollars worth of trade that tens of thousands of Vietnamese peddlers conduct with their Chinese customers just across the border。As a matter of fact,tens of thousands of Vietnameses have set up shop hawking Vietnamese-made daily necessities in Chinese border towns 。

a20d8f433edf48baba1c0a6d0ec7fe7e.jpg

789A56D33B8D6A7B885B959FFDF2E054.jpg

9350229.jpg

200909091337046561-1335144.jpg

20090909133831771-1335144.jpg

200909091340244481-1335144.jpg

200909091341474661-1335144.jpg

200909091342534361-1335144.jpg

He is right in that Vietnam's largest export target is US.

TP_TP_CI_P

China-Vietnam trade is indeed significantly larger than US-Vietnam trade, but just in term of Vietnam export, US is larger.

In 2012:
Vietnam export 21,369,630 thousand USD of goods to US, and imports 4,623,346 thousands of USD of goods from US.
Vietnam export 16,229,108 thousand USD of goods to China, and imports 34,212,625 thousands of USD of goods from China.

Which make sense when you consider the economic structure of China, US and Vietnam. Basically, China is the nation with the largest industrial capacity on the planet, but a relatively new comer into the business. So there are two category of goods which China consume the most: raw resource and patent restricted goods, neither of them are something Vietnam have a lot.

US, on the other hand, is a nation that have the second largest industry on the planet and one of the first industrial nations. As a result, its domestic production has a less comprehensive range of goods, but are less interested in patent restricted goods. Basically, this means US imports less raw resources, but more low end manufacturing products. Something that Vietnam does have. So it makes that US imports more stuff from Vietnam than China.

Rubbish。

Ever heard of Sino-Vietnamese border trade?

These are custom figures which do not include the billions of dollars worth of trade that tens of thousands of Vietnamese peddlers conduct with their Chinese customers just across the border。As a matter of fact,tens of thousands of Vietnameses have set up shop hawking Vietnamese-made daily necessities in Chinese border towns 。

a20d8f433edf48baba1c0a6d0ec7fe7e.jpg

789A56D33B8D6A7B885B959FFDF2E054.jpg

9350229.jpg

200909091337046561-1335144.jpg

20090909133831771-1335144.jpg

200909091340244481-1335144.jpg

200909091341474661-1335144.jpg

200909091342534361-1335144.jpg
Can't accept that the U.S and EU are our biggest export markets? But listen to this, both U.S and EU are our largest trade surplus partners. This is why I've always advocating VietNam to close all trade with China since we lost $24 billion of trade to you guys every year. We can give this $24 billion of trade deficit to Japan or Korea or the U.S; they will be more than happy to fill in the gap IMMEDIATELY.

If all trades with China stopped, our Vietnamese companies can expand and prosper more because you are doing nothing good to us by flooding our market with cheap goods competing directly with our goods. Only fools would say that Vietnam is depending on China for economic growth. You guys are in fact destroying our economy on a daily basis and impeding our growth with your cheap products.

This is why I've always wanted Vietnam to have a war with China so all trades can stop. Our supermarkets' shelves do not contain Chinese goods; it's time for Vietnam to not have any Chinese goods anywhere as well. That way our companies can produce more (more jobs) and expanding in more industries without fearing competition from cheaper products from China. Korea and Japan industrialized by importing ZERO from foreigners, it's time for Vietnam to do the same and war is the only way to it.

Can't accept that the U.S and EU are our biggest export markets? But listen to this, both U.S and EU are our largest trade surplus partners. This is why I've always advocating VietNam to close all trade with China since we lost $24 billion of trade to you guys every year. We can give this $24 billion of trade deficit to Japan or Korea or the U.S; they will be more than happy to fill in the gap IMMEDIATELY.

If all trades with China stopped, our Vietnamese companies can expand and prosper more because you are doing nothing good to us by flooding our market with cheap goods competing directly with our goods. Only fools would say that Vietnam is depending on China for economic growth. You guys are in fact destroying our economy on a daily basis and impeding our growth with your cheap products.

This is why I've always wanted Vietnam to have a war with China so all trades can stop. Our supermarkets' shelves do not contain Chinese goods; it's time for Vietnam to not have any Chinese goods anywhere as well. That way our companies can produce more (more jobs) and expanding in more industries without fearing competition from cheaper products from China. Korea and Japan industrialized by importing ZERO from foreigners, it's time for Vietnam to do the same and war is the only way to it.

Kid, trade is not a zero sum game. You imported items from China because you need it.
Korea and Japan imported zero from foreigners? I strongly suggest you spend more time on your schoolwork than posting on PDF....

The Americans are hypocritical, Vietnamese, do you really trust them?

What a comeback :coffee:

Kid, trade is not a zero sum game. You imported items from China because you need it.
Korea and Japan imported zero from foreigners? I strongly suggest you spend more time on your schoolwork than posting on PDF....

I think he meant JP and KR mostly rely on themselves. But this is totally wrong, JP, this lonely island country, is exactly based on "trade". JP has very rare natural resources. JP has to import raw materials, such as coal, minerals and petroleum, and export value-added product, such as Toyota and PS4. And he should also ask himself why JP would join TPP?

The trade between us is a lot more complicated than you want to believe, my friend. Truth is the trade surplus we receive from you is not from our low-end product sale, it is the raw material that we export to your company to make a finish product and you re-export out to foreign countries like USA and EU to make real money. So I wouldn't be a big mouth and call for cutting trade with us as it will hurt the thousand of Vietnamese companies that required these materials to keep their shop running and the million of Vietnamese merchants who rely on these to keep their income stable. Your economist sums up the best:

Le Dang Doanh, a Vietnamese economist, sounded frustrated when speaking at a conference more than a year ago. Vietnam, he said, “exports coal and then imports power. It exports rubber and then imports car tyres. As for the garment industry, if China were to stop supplying materials, the industry would face big difficulties.”

The main reason for the trade imbalance is your weak industrial capacity. This is understandable as we are an industrial superpower that can produce everything from low, to medium, to high-end products. The concept of trade benefit is not a matter of export only, my friend. It is the total trade volume. When economists speak of the importance of trading, they don't cite "export" but the whole total trade volume to explain economic growth. Your country did indeed grow on trade with us by at least 2% on EXPORT only.. If we stop trade altogether with you, you will have negative growth as you simply don't have the capability to refine the raw materials.

The trade between us is a lot more complicated than you want to believe, my friend. Truth is the trade surplus we receive from you is not from our low-end product sale, it is the raw material that we export to your company to make a finish product and you re-export out to foreign countries like USA and EU to make real money. So I wouldn't be a big mouth and call for cutting trade with us as it will hurt the thousand of Vietnamese companies that required these materials to keep their shop running and the million of Vietnamese merchants who rely on these to keep their income stable. Your economist sums up the best:

The main reason for the trade imbalance is your weak industrial capacity. This is understandable as we are an industrial superpower that can produce everything from low, to medium, to high-end products. The concept of trade benefit is not a matter of export only, my friend. It is the total trade volume. When economists speak of the importance of trading, they don't cite "export" but the whole total trade volume to explain economic growth. Your country did indeed grow on trade with us by at least 2% on EXPORT only.. If we stop trade altogether with you, you will have negative growth as you simply don't have the capability to refine the raw materials.

Do you even bother to read what I wrote, my friend? Here is the official data from our custom regarding import from China

Tổng quan xuất nhập khẩu hàng hóa của Việt Nam theo châu lục, theo khu vực thị trường và theo thị trường năm 2013
-
ThongKeHaiQuan
: Hải Quan Việt Nam

image007.png

As you can see, steel products 9%, raw materials for garment and footwear 15%, machineries 18%, fuel 3% are the actual import items that Vietnamese businesses import for production. Steel products, raw materials for garment and footwear, and fuel can easily be replaced by us expanding more of our own production as we have been doing right at this moment. Forget about power, we import electricity from China to make up for the loss of our own electricity for exporting it to Laos (due to our friendship). As for machineries, we can easily buy these from South Korea or Japan to replace China.

Now, let's take at look at the rest of the import items from China. Electronic, computer, cellphone parts make up a total of 27% of imports. These imports are not from Viet enterprises but they are from FDI enterprises operating in Vietnam who import from their subsidaries operating in China as we all know Vietnam does not have any Samsung, Toshiba etc to do any electronic export. These FDI enterprises can pick and choose where they want to import from; nothing is gained or lost for Vietnam

Now, let's take a look at the "Other" 27%. This category can be like fertilizer or tyre or powerplant turbine .....or chopsticks. We have been expanding more of our factories to meet the demand of fertilizer & tyres. We can easily buy turbines from GE as we have been doing so with our wind turbine projects. As you can see, most of what we buy from you, we can replace them with our own factories which will create more jobs for our economy or we simplely import from other markets

Well, the effect is probably similar to what WTO did to Vietnam.

probably worse. the whole point of TPP is to give america advantage from the beginning. that's why TPP still is just hot air. the yanks created the rules and bend it whenever suits them.. lol

Do you even bother to read what I wrote, my friend? Here is the official data from our custom regarding import from China

Tổng quan xuất nhập khẩu hàng hóa của Việt Nam theo châu lục, theo khu vực thị trường và theo thị trường năm 2013
-
ThongKeHaiQuan
: Hải Quan Việt Nam

image007.png

As you can see, steel products 9%, raw materials for garment and footwear 15%, machineries 18%, fuel 3% are the actual import items that Vietnamese businesses import for production. Steel products, raw materials for garment and footwear, and fuel can easily be replaced by us expanding more of our own production as we have been doing right at this moment. Forget about power, we import electricity from China to make up for the loss of our own electricity for exporting it to Laos (due to our friendship). As for machineries, we can easily buy these from South Korea or Japan to replace China.

Now, let's take at look at the rest of the import items from China. Electronic, computer, cellphone parts make up a total of 27% of imports. These imports are not from Viet enterprises but they are from FDI enterprises operating in Vietnam who import from their subsidaries operating in China as we all know Vietnam does not have any Samsung, Toshiba etc to do any electronic export. These FDI enterprises can pick and choose where they want to import from; nothing is gained or lost for Vietnam

Now, let's take a look at the "Other" 27%. This category can be like fertilizer or tyre or powerplant turbine .....or chopsticks. We have been expanding more of our factories to meet the demand of fertilizer & tyres. We can easily buy turbines from GE as we have been doing so with our wind turbine projects. As you can see, most of what we buy from you, we can replace them with our own factories which will create more jobs for our economy or we simplely import from other markets
I don't get into the habit of repeating myself but I will do for you again. Trading is a two ways benefit, including importing and exporting. As a country with weak comparative advantage, you will have deficit. It's that simple. The total trade volume is what important when analyzing a country economic tie and dependency. You said you can import from others like SK and Japan, then why do you import from us despite us smashing you like a little child? The truth is our machinery is cost effective which is why majority of your manufacturing company import from us. Same as raw material and energy. If you import a higher machinery cost, guess what? profit drops from those companies and inflation will rise as the company will increase their product price and put the cost to consumer. Can your consumer afford inflation? You think you can just replace us with others but the fact is there is no other cost-effective replacement than us at this point in time. There is a reason American continue to import from us despite having huge deficit. Do you understand, my friend?

probably worse. the whole point of TPP is to give america advantage from the beginning. that's why TPP still is just hot air. the yanks created the rules and bend it whenever suits them.. lol

Like I said, Vietnam's problem and indeed problem for any minor nation is that 99 out of 100 economic treaties are going to favor the larger economy and the only way to change that is to become a major nation yourself. That's why counting on a single treaty to fix your problem is also a dodgy prospect.

I don't get into the habit of repeating myself but I will do for you again. Trading is a two ways benefit, including importing and exporting. As a country with weak comparative advantage, you will have deficit. It's that simple. The total trade volume is what important when analyzing a country economic tie and dependency. You said you can import from others like SK and Japan, then why do you import from us despite us smashing you like a little child? The truth is our machinery is cost effective which is why majority of your manufacturing company import from us. Same as raw material and energy. If you import a higher machinery cost, guess what? profit drops from those companies and inflation will rise as the company will increase their product price and put the cost to consumer. Can your consumer afford inflation? You think you can just replace us with others but the fact is there is no other cost-effective replacement than us at this point in time. There is a reason American continue to import from us despite having huge deficit. Do you understand, my friend?
I will repeat this again, we buy from you is quantity, we buy from SK or Japan or America is quality. We'll buy less but they will last more especially those machineries for production. The rest of the items we can easily replace by expanding more of our factories by closing our trades with you to prevent cheap goods from destroying our economy and companies. SK & Japan industrialized by importing ZERO not by allowing foreigners come in and flood their markets with cheap goods that they also produce. Let me give you an example: Vietnam Airlines. It is the only carrier in Vietnam; no foriegn airline is allowed to operate in Vietnam. Do you see us having any kind of "inflation"? LOL

I will repeat this again, we buy from you is quantity, we buy from SK or Japan or America is quality. We'll buy less but they will last more especially those machineries for production. The rest of the items we can easily replace by expanding more of our factories by closing our trades with you to prevent cheap goods from destroying our economy and companies. SK & Japan industrialized by importing ZERO not by allowing foreigners come in and flood their markets with cheap goods that they also produce. Let me give you an example: Vietnam Airlines. It is the only carrier in Vietnam; no foriegn airline is allowed to operate in Vietnam. Do you see us having any kind of "inflation"? LOL
Shut up and start to do what you said you would do. Buy from others. Go ahead. Why aren't your country do that hm? I have giving you a lesson but you still did not learn a single thing. The main point is SK and JP are niches market cattering to specific needs of an industrialized economy. We are the mainstream. We supply in everything from the low end, to medum end, to high end. Depending on your industrial need, you do not need the high-end machinery as you can't even produce any high-end products yet. Therefore what you buy from SK and JP are not cost effective nor do they bring value to what your company invest in. Your words mean nothing in the real world, base on your current economic need and standard. You are a poor developing country. Fact.. Even SK and JP import machinery from us. Another fun fact.

Last edited:
Shut up and start to do what you said you would do. Buy from others. Go ahead. Why aren't your country do that hm? I have giving you a lesson but you still did not learn a single thing. The main point is SK and JP are niches market cattering to specific needs of an industrialized economy. We are the mainstream. We supply in everything from the low end, to medum end, to high end. Depending on your industrial need, you do not need the high-end machinery as you can't even produce any high-end products yet. Therefore what you buy from SK and JP are not cost effective nor do they bring value to what your company invest in. Your words mean nothing in the real world, base on your current economic need and standard. You are a poor developing country. Fact.. Even SK and JP import machinery from us. Another fun fact.
Facts: We have started to import turbines from GE to replace imports from China. Facts: We have expanded our plants to supply steel, fertilizer, fuel, garment & footwear raw materials, tyres, electricity etc to replace imports from China. Facts: We have imported machineries from Japan, SK, E.U. U.S for years and continue to do so. Facts: We can easily replace any imports from China or supply them our own. Fact: Chinese do not supply us commerical planes, automobiles, Iphones, why is the INFLATION? lol

I hope you close the border and stop all trades with us. I'm desperately waiting for that day to come. I hope this oil rig thing to lead to a real war so your imports will stop flooding our market

Facts: We have started to import turbines from GE to replace imports from China. Facts: We have expanded our plants to supply steel, fertilizer, fuel, garment & footwear raw materials, tyres, electricity etc to replace imports from China. Facts: We have imported machineries from Japan, SK, E.U. U.S for years and continue to do so. Facts: We can easily replace any imports from China or supply them our own. Fact: Chinese do not supply us commerical planes, automobiles, Iphones, why is the INFLATION? lol

I hope you close the border and stop all trades with us. I'm desperately waiting for that day to come. I hope this oil rig thing to lead to a real war so your imports will stop flooding our market
Except none of the facts you gave change the fact we are your biggest trade partner and you import the most from us. LOL Without our cost effective products, your industry will collapse and inflation will rise as there is no immediate replacement. I don't use opinion. I only speak of facts!.

It's time to read. LOL
China Research Center | Vietnam’s Relations with China: A Delicate Balancing Act

The agreement between China and Vietnam on the process to guide the settlement of maritime issues signed in October 2011 may be a first step in easing tensions over the contentious issue of who controls the islands in potentially oil-rich waters which China calls the South China Sea and Vietnam calls the East Sea.The establishment of a hotline between the two countries’ capitals to resolve crises and the creation of semiannual talks are aimed at finding “mutually acceptable basic principles” and a long-term approach to solving maritime disputes. The two countries are now committed to friendly consultations to properly handle maritime issues and make this area a sea of peace, friendship and cooperation. 1

China and Vietnam share a long history marked by collaboration and cordiality, but also tumult and hostility at times, as far back as the first century B.C., and as recently as during the last half -century. Nevertheless, following modern economic reform in China and Doi Moi in Vietnam, both countries have continued on their transition path to a market-oriented economy putting industrialization and trade issues at the forefront, with territorial disputes generally left on the back burner. The year 2010 marked the 60th anniversary of the establishment of China-Vietnam diplomatic ties with official normalization of relations being in place since 1990. There is no doubt that China and Vietnam will forever be intertwined because of geographic, economic and political realities.

A Vietnamese government official once described Vietnam as swinging on a tightrope in which China held one end and the United States held another. Not willing to place all its eggs in either basket given its past history with both nations, and in an effort integrate into the global economy, Vietnam is pursuing a foreign policy of what some analysts label “more friends, fewer enemies.” Stable, normalized economic and military relations with both China and the United States are the current state of affairs. Vietnam has also placed an emphasis on global integration which has resulted in political and economic engagement with a wider range of countries, the purpose which is presumed to counter the influence of Beijing in the region.

Strains in Sino-Vietnamese relations emerged in 2009 when China presented a claim to 80 percent of the South China Sea (East Sea) to the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea. This put Vietnam in the awkward position of either accepting Chinese dominance of this areas or risking an engagement. 2

The issue is particularly important to both sides since it involves the claim on possession of two island groups: the Paracels and Spratlys. The most important matter at stake is who has the right to explore and exploit the natural resources in and below the waters surrounding the islands. Although proven reserves have not yet been forthcoming, the most optimistic estimates from China suggest potential oil resources of the Spratly and Paracel Islands could be as high as 213 billion barrels of oil and the area is also rich in natural gas. 3

The disputes will ultimately focus on who has the rights to these natural resources, and is being structured as a legal dispute on the interpretation and application of Article 121 of the 1982 United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS). Article 121 provides that an island – defined as “a naturally formed area of land above water at high tide” – can, in principle, generate the same maritime zones as land territory. These include a 12 nautical mile (nm) territorial sea; a 200 nm exclusive economic zone (EEZ) and a continental shelf.4

Some of the Spratly Islands’ features claimed and occupied by China and Vietnam, and other countries as well, do not meet the definition of an island. In addition, a majority of the declared EEZs overlap, and historical claims to ownership are difficult to prove. As Jörn Dosch notes, “Outcomes are unpredictable given that all claimants have at least some convincing arguments on their side . . . yet Beijing holds the key to a resolution of the dispute which will either be decided through Chinese power projection or a negotiated settlement on the Chinese terms. The latter seems more likely than the former.5

It is not, however, in the best interest of Vietnam to antagonize China unnecessarily. Ideologically, Vietnam is more comfortable with China than with the United States. Economically, China is a large market, a source of financial assistance and a model of development.6 Nevertheless, in Vietnam as well as China, nationalist sentiments have put pressure on their governments to remain firm on issues of sovereignty. For Hanoi, the matter has become especially sensitive as an array of dissidents has taken up the cause of the archipelagoes, accusing the ruling Communist Party of selling out to China with every act of acquiescence.7

A controversial mining venture involving China in 2009, for example, although supported by the Vietnamese Communist Party, raised the ire of notable figures in Vietnam, including military icon General Vo Nguyen Giap. “I would like to propose to the prime minister to stop the implementation of bauxite exploitation until its ecological impact is seriously studied by international experts,” wrote the 97-year-old retired general, criticizing the agreement allowing China to mine and process bauxite in the central highlands region.

The project was divisive for a number of reasons with critics contending it would leave behind scarred landscape and produce effluents that pollute farmland and water sources. The central highlands are well known for production of coffee and other crops that are important sources of export earnings. Complicating the matter was the announcement that China would be bringing in its own workers to run the project, raising the specter of a permanent Chinese settlement in this strategically sensitive area. Originally thought to be an economic boom to the region, only a few jobs for Vietnamese workers were in the plans, causing outcries of Chinese economic imperialism and colonization.

Although the early phase of construction of the bauxite mine began in March of 2010, the issue may have more serious political implications for Vietnam in the long run. The unwavering support for the project by the majority of the most powerful members of the Vietnamese Communist Party has been attributed by some to payoffs to these officials by the Chinese. And the government of Prime Minister Nguyen Tan Dung was accused of kowtowing to China and selling out to Beijing and to capitalism.

A new concern in Vietnam, attributed to the “Chinese economic expansion,” is represented by the influx of illegal Chinese laborers, particularly involving joint Vietnam – China projects. Vietnamese press and labor leaders have warned of the irregular situation of Chinese workers in Vietnam. According to statistics from the Ministry of Labor, War Invalids and Social Security, in May 2011 there were 74-thousand foreign workers in Vietnam and among these employees, 90 percent are Chinese. Most Chinese employees, it is argued, do not have professional skills and the workers are causing instability in the economic, social, military, political spheres as well as everyday life of people. Newly elected President Truong Tan Sang has spoken out and told Vietnamese authorities and employers to better manage the country’s foreign workforce.8

Despite the occasional hiccup, China and Vietnam bilateral relations are becoming more interdependent, particularly in the realm of economics. The year 2010 marked the 60th anniversary of the establishment of Sino-Vietnamese diplomatic ties, with official normalization of relations being in place since 1990. This has led to a rush of political goodwill and a boom in economic trade evidenced by growth in bilateral trade jumping from US$32 million in 1991 to just a shade below US$28 billion in 2010 and for the first nine months of 2011, it rose by 35 percent as compared with the same period of the previous year (See Figure 1).

McCornac_fig1.jpg

China is Vietnam’s largest trade partner (See Figure 2), but because of China’s size and global trade integration, Vietnam counts for less than one percent of China’s total export trade.

McCornac_fig2.jpg

Bilateral trade is increasing at a significant rate particularly, because China’s insatiable demand for goods and resources. Sustaining economic growth for a nation reaching almost 1.4 billion citizens requires a tremendous amount of natural resources, much of which needs to be imported. As China scours the globe building economic relationships with various nations and regions to ensure a continuous supply of commodities such as coal, crude oil and iron ore, it is only natural to look to a close neighbor for help.9 Further spurring trade, particularly along Vietnam’s northern border with China, has been the establishment of the Free Trade Area (FTA) between China and 10 member states of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) that took effect January 1, 2010. 10

and runniThe size of bilateral trade notwithstanding, Vietnam’s trade deficit with China is continuously rising, with Vietnam selling unfinished commoditiesng a trade deficit with China of more than US$12 billion in 2010. This figure is expected to rise substantially for the foreseeable future. The discrepancy in the trade balance can be attributed mainly to the types of products Vietnam exports to China: coal, crude oil, rubber, foodstuff, seafood and footwear, to name a few (See Figure 3a). The majority are either raw materials or low-value-added manufactured goods.

On the other end of the spectrum, China’s top exports to Vietnam include high-value-added manufactured goods such as cars, motorbike parts, machinery, package equipment, pharmaceuticals and petroleum (See Figure 3b). China, for example, accounts for almost 60 and 17 percent of Vietnam’s coal and oil export revenue respectively, and is also the major importer of natural rubber needed to fuel China’s industrial rubber products industry.

McCornac_fig3.jpg

McCornac_fig4.jpg

Currently, there are almost 2,000 China-funded firms in Vietnam engaged in trade and investment, project contracting and other businesses. Vietnamese enterprises are paying more attention to the Chinese market and are looking to China for more business opportunities and markets for selling equipment and raw materials. China is also a main market for Vietnam tourism, accounting for one-fourth of the international tourists to Vietnam (almost 786,000 arrivals) in the first seven months of 2011. While the opening of markets and trading routes can be described as a win-win situation for China and Vietnam, it may be too simple a formula precisely because of the disparities between the two countries, particularly in terms of economic size and political power. 11

The influx of Chinese goods, both smuggled over the border and imported legally into the Vietnamese market, has negatively impacted the domestic production of a number of goods in Vietnam, particularly consumer goods. One special concern in Vietnam is that many of the goods are of low quality and dubious origin and may contain toxins and other substances harmful to people’s health. Some products can be made in Vietnam, but are still imported as the latter approach is more cost-effective. This, in turn, has choked a host of Vietnamese enterprises, including production of chopsticks and toothpicks. 12

Truong Thi Thuy Lien, director of the Lien Phat Ltd. Company, a shoe manufacturer in southern Vietnam, notes that since early 2011, prices of materials imported from China have increased by 40 percent against the end of 2010, exposing sudden price increases as the biggest risk factor in such imports. Economic expert Le Dang Doanh said local producers imported a large quantity of material from China because the country was nearby, so transport costs were low and added incentive for domestic exporters.13

Further adding to uncertainty regarding the pricing of Chinese imports is China’s overall trade surplus, which has escalated tensions with a number of its trading partners who are now arguing that the Chinese currency, the Yuan, is undervalued. Should China revalue its currency, Vietnam would see import prices rising even faster, putting more inflationary pressures on an economy with already escalating prices.

Even though this dependence on increasingly expensive Chinese imports has already pushed many Vietnamese firms into the red, Vietnam’s heavy dependence on trade with China is only expected to increase over time. Le Hong Hiep of the Vietnam National University fears that “should China decide to discontinue trade with Vietnam for some reason, the damage to Vietnam’s economy would be immense.14

Relations between China and Vietnam have improved recently, and the conciliatory nature of the recent meeting between Beijing and Hanoi has ushered in a relative period of calm. Both countries appear keen to continue to foster better bilateral ties and improvements in Sino-Vietnamese relations are unlikely to damage Vietnam’s relations with the U.S.

However, anytime China swings the tightrope more aggressively, Vietnam finds itself in a more precarious position, not knowing which end of the rope is the safest point of refuge. If the Vietnamese government is to continue to be successful in maintaining a balance, it must avoid too close an alignment with one country at the expense of ties with the other.

Now is a relatively unique time in Vietnam’s history. It is unified, and it has the economic and political wherewithal to challenge China in the region – though whether it will be successful remains to be seen.15 The rise of national sentiments on either side may portend more troubling times ahead. And as a Vietnamese diplomat is quoted as saying, “No one will say it openly, but what drives every meeting in Southeast Asia now is fear of what the region will be like with China dominating.”16

Except none of the facts you gave change the fact we are your biggest trade partner and you import the most from us. LOL Without our cost effective products, your industry will collapse and inflation will rise as there is no immediate replacement. I don't use opinion. I only speak of facts!.

It's time to read. LOL
China Research Center | Vietnam’s Relations with China: A Delicate Balancing Act

The agreement between China and Vietnam on the process to guide the settlement of maritime issues signed in October 2011 may be a first step in easing tensions over the contentious issue of who controls the islands in potentially oil-rich waters which China calls the South China Sea and Vietnam calls the East Sea.The establishment of a hotline between the two countries’ capitals to resolve crises and the creation of semiannual talks are aimed at finding “mutually acceptable basic principles” and a long-term approach to solving maritime disputes. The two countries are now committed to friendly consultations to properly handle maritime issues and make this area a sea of peace, friendship and cooperation. 1

China and Vietnam share a long history marked by collaboration and cordiality, but also tumult and hostility at times, as far back as the first century B.C., and as recently as during the last half -century. Nevertheless, following modern economic reform in China and Doi Moi in Vietnam, both countries have continued on their transition path to a market-oriented economy putting industrialization and trade issues at the forefront, with territorial disputes generally left on the back burner. The year 2010 marked the 60th anniversary of the establishment of China-Vietnam diplomatic ties with official normalization of relations being in place since 1990. There is no doubt that China and Vietnam will forever be intertwined because of geographic, economic and political realities.

A Vietnamese government official once described Vietnam as swinging on a tightrope in which China held one end and the United States held another. Not willing to place all its eggs in either basket given its past history with both nations, and in an effort integrate into the global economy, Vietnam is pursuing a foreign policy of what some analysts label “more friends, fewer enemies.” Stable, normalized economic and military relations with both China and the United States are the current state of affairs. Vietnam has also placed an emphasis on global integration which has resulted in political and economic engagement with a wider range of countries, the purpose which is presumed to counter the influence of Beijing in the region.

Strains in Sino-Vietnamese relations emerged in 2009 when China presented a claim to 80 percent of the South China Sea (East Sea) to the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea. This put Vietnam in the awkward position of either accepting Chinese dominance of this areas or risking an engagement. 2

The issue is particularly important to both sides since it involves the claim on possession of two island groups: the Paracels and Spratlys. The most important matter at stake is who has the right to explore and exploit the natural resources in and below the waters surrounding the islands. Although proven reserves have not yet been forthcoming, the most optimistic estimates from China suggest potential oil resources of the Spratly and Paracel Islands could be as high as 213 billion barrels of oil and the area is also rich in natural gas. 3

The disputes will ultimately focus on who has the rights to these natural resources, and is being structured as a legal dispute on the interpretation and application of Article 121 of the 1982 United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS). Article 121 provides that an island – defined as “a naturally formed area of land above water at high tide” – can, in principle, generate the same maritime zones as land territory. These include a 12 nautical mile (nm) territorial sea; a 200 nm exclusive economic zone (EEZ) and a continental shelf.4

Some of the Spratly Islands’ features claimed and occupied by China and Vietnam, and other countries as well, do not meet the definition of an island. In addition, a majority of the declared EEZs overlap, and historical claims to ownership are difficult to prove. As Jörn Dosch notes, “Outcomes are unpredictable given that all claimants have at least some convincing arguments on their side . . . yet Beijing holds the key to a resolution of the dispute which will either be decided through Chinese power projection or a negotiated settlement on the Chinese terms. The latter seems more likely than the former.5

It is not, however, in the best interest of Vietnam to antagonize China unnecessarily. Ideologically, Vietnam is more comfortable with China than with the United States. Economically, China is a large market, a source of financial assistance and a model of development.6 Nevertheless, in Vietnam as well as China, nationalist sentiments have put pressure on their governments to remain firm on issues of sovereignty. For Hanoi, the matter has become especially sensitive as an array of dissidents has taken up the cause of the archipelagoes, accusing the ruling Communist Party of selling out to China with every act of acquiescence.7

A controversial mining venture involving China in 2009, for example, although supported by the Vietnamese Communist Party, raised the ire of notable figures in Vietnam, including military icon General Vo Nguyen Giap. “I would like to propose to the prime minister to stop the implementation of bauxite exploitation until its ecological impact is seriously studied by international experts,” wrote the 97-year-old retired general, criticizing the agreement allowing China to mine and process bauxite in the central highlands region.

The project was divisive for a number of reasons with critics contending it would leave behind scarred landscape and produce effluents that pollute farmland and water sources. The central highlands are well known for production of coffee and other crops that are important sources of export earnings. Complicating the matter was the announcement that China would be bringing in its own workers to run the project, raising the specter of a permanent Chinese settlement in this strategically sensitive area. Originally thought to be an economic boom to the region, only a few jobs for Vietnamese workers were in the plans, causing outcries of Chinese economic imperialism and colonization.

Although the early phase of construction of the bauxite mine began in March of 2010, the issue may have more serious political implications for Vietnam in the long run. The unwavering support for the project by the majority of the most powerful members of the Vietnamese Communist Party has been attributed by some to payoffs to these officials by the Chinese. And the government of Prime Minister Nguyen Tan Dung was accused of kowtowing to China and selling out to Beijing and to capitalism.

A new concern in Vietnam, attributed to the “Chinese economic expansion,” is represented by the influx of illegal Chinese laborers, particularly involving joint Vietnam – China projects. Vietnamese press and labor leaders have warned of the irregular situation of Chinese workers in Vietnam. According to statistics from the Ministry of Labor, War Invalids and Social Security, in May 2011 there were 74-thousand foreign workers in Vietnam and among these employees, 90 percent are Chinese. Most Chinese employees, it is argued, do not have professional skills and the workers are causing instability in the economic, social, military, political spheres as well as everyday life of people. Newly elected President Truong Tan Sang has spoken out and told Vietnamese authorities and employers to better manage the country’s foreign workforce.8

Despite the occasional hiccup, China and Vietnam bilateral relations are becoming more interdependent, particularly in the realm of economics. The year 2010 marked the 60th anniversary of the establishment of Sino-Vietnamese diplomatic ties, with official normalization of relations being in place since 1990. This has led to a rush of political goodwill and a boom in economic trade evidenced by growth in bilateral trade jumping from US$32 million in 1991 to just a shade below US$28 billion in 2010 and for the first nine months of 2011, it rose by 35 percent as compared with the same period of the previous year (See Figure 1).

McCornac_fig1.jpg

China is Vietnam’s largest trade partner (See Figure 2), but because of China’s size and global trade integration, Vietnam counts for less than one percent of China’s total export trade.

McCornac_fig2.jpg

Bilateral trade is increasing at a significant rate particularly, because China’s insatiable demand for goods and resources. Sustaining economic growth for a nation reaching almost 1.4 billion citizens requires a tremendous amount of natural resources, much of which needs to be imported. As China scours the globe building economic relationships with various nations and regions to ensure a continuous supply of commodities such as coal, crude oil and iron ore, it is only natural to look to a close neighbor for help.9 Further spurring trade, particularly along Vietnam’s northern border with China, has been the establishment of the Free Trade Area (FTA) between China and 10 member states of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) that took effect January 1, 2010. 10

and runniThe size of bilateral trade notwithstanding, Vietnam’s trade deficit with China is continuously rising, with Vietnam selling unfinished commoditiesng a trade deficit with China of more than US$12 billion in 2010. This figure is expected to rise substantially for the foreseeable future. The discrepancy in the trade balance can be attributed mainly to the types of products Vietnam exports to China: coal, crude oil, rubber, foodstuff, seafood and footwear, to name a few (See Figure 3a). The majority are either raw materials or low-value-added manufactured goods.

On the other end of the spectrum, China’s top exports to Vietnam include high-value-added manufactured goods such as cars, motorbike parts, machinery, package equipment, pharmaceuticals and petroleum (See Figure 3b). China, for example, accounts for almost 60 and 17 percent of Vietnam’s coal and oil export revenue respectively, and is also the major importer of natural rubber needed to fuel China’s industrial rubber products industry.

McCornac_fig3.jpg

McCornac_fig4.jpg

Currently, there are almost 2,000 China-funded firms in Vietnam engaged in trade and investment, project contracting and other businesses. Vietnamese enterprises are paying more attention to the Chinese market and are looking to China for more business opportunities and markets for selling equipment and raw materials. China is also a main market for Vietnam tourism, accounting for one-fourth of the international tourists to Vietnam (almost 786,000 arrivals) in the first seven months of 2011. While the opening of markets and trading routes can be described as a win-win situation for China and Vietnam, it may be too simple a formula precisely because of the disparities between the two countries, particularly in terms of economic size and political power. 11

The influx of Chinese goods, both smuggled over the border and imported legally into the Vietnamese market, has negatively impacted the domestic production of a number of goods in Vietnam, particularly consumer goods. One special concern in Vietnam is that many of the goods are of low quality and dubious origin and may contain toxins and other substances harmful to people’s health. Some products can be made in Vietnam, but are still imported as the latter approach is more cost-effective. This, in turn, has choked a host of Vietnamese enterprises, including production of chopsticks and toothpicks. 12

Truong Thi Thuy Lien, director of the Lien Phat Ltd. Company, a shoe manufacturer in southern Vietnam, notes that since early 2011, prices of materials imported from China have increased by 40 percent against the end of 2010, exposing sudden price increases as the biggest risk factor in such imports. Economic expert Le Dang Doanh said local producers imported a large quantity of material from China because the country was nearby, so transport costs were low and added incentive for domestic exporters.13

Further adding to uncertainty regarding the pricing of Chinese imports is China’s overall trade surplus, which has escalated tensions with a number of its trading partners who are now arguing that the Chinese currency, the Yuan, is undervalued. Should China revalue its currency, Vietnam would see import prices rising even faster, putting more inflationary pressures on an economy with already escalating prices.

Even though this dependence on increasingly expensive Chinese imports has already pushed many Vietnamese firms into the red, Vietnam’s heavy dependence on trade with China is only expected to increase over time. Le Hong Hiep of the Vietnam National University fears that “should China decide to discontinue trade with Vietnam for some reason, the damage to Vietnam’s economy would be immense.14

Relations between China and Vietnam have improved recently, and the conciliatory nature of the recent meeting between Beijing and Hanoi has ushered in a relative period of calm. Both countries appear keen to continue to foster better bilateral ties and improvements in Sino-Vietnamese relations are unlikely to damage Vietnam’s relations with the U.S.

However, anytime China swings the tightrope more aggressively, Vietnam finds itself in a more precarious position, not knowing which end of the rope is the safest point of refuge. If the Vietnamese government is to continue to be successful in maintaining a balance, it must avoid too close an alignment with one country at the expense of ties with the other.

Now is a relatively unique time in Vietnam’s history. It is unified, and it has the economic and political wherewithal to challenge China in the region – though whether it will be successful remains to be seen.15 The rise of national sentiments on either side may portend more troubling times ahead. And as a Vietnamese diplomat is quoted as saying, “No one will say it openly, but what drives every meeting in Southeast Asia now is fear of what the region will be like with China dominating.”16
Read post #23 again for the latest info from our custom website regarding import from China in 2013. I already gave you why we can easily replace China in a snap; I means easily. What "inflation" here my friend? Are you going to stop selling us airplanes, cars, iphones, chopsticks, cookie fortune, melanine milk? LOL

Why don't u try to "collapse" our economy IMMEDIATELY by closing the border? LOL. I'm desperately waiting for that day to cum..........LOL

Back
Top Bottom