What's new

US offers to sell weapons to Bangladesh

None in principal....

But western jets comes with political strings...we do not have the ecomic muscle to overcome that kind of binding vis a vis india.

Chinese and russian do not come with such binding, particularly chinese.

Our consideration should be based on worst case scenario. In those circumstances BAF for the foreseeable future should go with chinese jets as i said... with at least a squadron of russian jets....i really do not see any other options...all comes down to what is the best bang on our budget....western platform is not for us until we are much much stronger economically and by that time hopefully we will have developed own capabilities.

I disagree and here are some points:

1)The most immediate potential conflict BD may have is with Myanmar. In such a scenario, we have already seen where the Russians and Chinese stand. i.e. not with us. Imagine a scenario in which the BAF is solely dependant on aircraft from those 2 sources.

2)Buying from the west means strings, defintely. But your buying not the hardware, but into the training, and overall ecosystem. Yes, its expensive. But its argueably more tactically effective.

3)Perhaps being a Western customer will bring some sort of political backing in any conflict with Myanmar.

4)Any talk of Bangladesh developing indigenous weapons production capability is ridiculous at this point. This is WAY beyond the scope of BD capability. Not to mention an expensive endeavour.

5)Rather than focus on "indigenous" anything. I say pay the money required up front and buy into the Western ecosystem. Strings and all. And LEARN how to effectively employ these weapons to effectively fight a war.

Last edited:
I disagree and here are some points:

1)The most immediate potential conflict BD may have is with Myanmar. In such a scenario, we have already seen where the Russians and Chinese stand. i.e. not with us. Imagine a scenario in which the BAF is solely dependant on aircraft from those 2 sources.

2)Buying from the west means strings, defintely. But your buying not the hardware, but into the training, and overall ecosystem. Yes, its expensive. But its argueably more tactically effective.

3)Perhaps being a Western customer will bring some sort of political backing in any conflict with Myanmar.

4)Any talk of Bangladesh developing indigenous weapons production capability is ridiculous at this point. This is WAY beyond the scope of BD capability. Not to mention an expensive endeavour.

5)Rather than focus of "indigenous" anything. I say pay the money required up front and buy into the Western ecosystem. Strings and all. And LEARN how to effectively employ these weapons to effectively fight a war.

I see where you are coming from and your position is a logical one.

I do not see the bandars as an existential threat but rather india thus my positioning. The rohingya debacle is BDs own fault. We should not have degraded our capacity to this degree. What could the chinese really do....go to war on our behalf? What is an UN censure worth not a lot....

bandaristan is resource rich and everyone wants to exploit it....we should not expect anyone to fight on our behalf.

Western tech is not panacea to our problem....our own tech is....agreed we do not have any tech base and it will take money and effort to build one....in my opinion we still need to strive for one.

I see where you are coming from and your position is a logical one.

I do not see the bandars as an existential threat but rather india thus my positioning. The rohingya debacle is BDs own fault. We should not have degraded our capacity to this degree. What could the chinese really do....go to war on our behalf? What is an UN censure worth not a lot....

bandaristan is resource rich and everyone wants to exploit it....we should not expect anyone to fight on our behalf.

Western tech is not panacea to our problem....our own tech is....agreed we do not have any tech base and it will take money and effort to build one....in my opinion we still need to strive for one.

Here is where I am coming from:

Obviously, I have no idea what the state of competency of the BAF is.

However, its my opinion that the BAF likely could not fight itself out of a paper bag.

I say buy the Western gear. And learn how to fight by learning from the West.

Establish a rigorous training program. Establish a Western ethic.

This is a pre-requesite to further endeavours such a indigenous sourcing of equipment.

Learn to use the equipment effectively first.

What I see when I see videos of the BAF are vomit inducing.

i.e. Air Chief flying around without a helmet on with fruity Bengali music playing in the background.

Not exactly confidence inspiring.

Watch this:

Even better:

There is no simple answer to this.
For BD the cost will be on the high side as BD has no
infrastructure in place. Others like Pakistan on the low side as they already operate many dozens of F-16s.
My guess is that BD will be looking to pay around 4 billion US dollars for 24 latest block F-16s, this will include the cost of converting the airbases to handle F-16, maintenance for first 5-10 years, training of pilots, bombs and missiles and the actual planes themselves.
Although this sounds a lot, remember that Western aircraft are more reliable and have higher life expectancy in areas like engines than either Russia or Chinese planes. BD pays more now but gets the payback over the life of the plane.

Buying American weapon is same as shooting yourself in the foot. BD will be wise to buy Chinese J-10C and for a larger platform Su-30SME or SU-35.

India has the no. of Su30 beside they will receive Rafale 36. where as Myanmar also signed deal with Russia for 6 Su30. to keep in mind all that BD should go for Su35 & F16. so many years are gone BAF need to gear up. any body can raise question mark for Su35, BD could not have pilots to operate this. if BD wants to fulfill the long gaps & to match with neighbors than this is the better option to face any obstacles.

Here is where I am coming from:

Obviously, I have no idea what the state of competency of the BAF is.

However, its my opinion that the BAF likely could not fight itself out of a paper bag.

I say buy the Western gear. And learn how to fight by learning from the West.

Establish a rigorous training program. Establish a Western ethic.

This is a pre-requesite to further endeavours such a indigenous sourcing of equipment.

Learn to use the equipment effectively first.

What I see when I see videos of the BAF are vomit inducing.

i.e. Air Chief flying around without a helmet on with fruity Bengali music playing in the background.

Not exactly confidence inspiring.

Watch this:

Even better:

I agree BAF is a joke and to date everything i have seen has been underwhelming.

Ethics, training regime etc can also be emulated from the chinese at a much reduced cost.

Anyhow heres hoping BN and BA professionalism rubs off on the third rate third arm of our armed forces....

As i have also said before BD should seriouly look to raise up a 4th arm of the military .... a bonafide missile force and relegate BAF to be simply a logistical adjunct to BA. Let BN raise up its air capacity to provide ariel cover for its assets.

As for BAF once the missile force is in place start again from ground up.

I agree BAF is a joke and to date everything i have seen has been underwhelming.

Ethics, training regime etc can also be emulated from the chinese at a much reduced cost.

Anyhow heres hoping BN and BA professionalism rubs off on the third rate third arm of our armed forces....

As i have also said before BD should seriouly look to raise up a 4th arm of the military .... a bonafide missile force and relegate BAF to be simply a logistical adjunct to BA. Let BN raise up its air capacity to provide ariel cover for its assets.

As for BAF once the missile force is in place start again from ground up.

There is no substitute from learning from the US and her allies.

It was American air power that launced the US into superpower status.

I recently visited the Western Museum of Flight near LA.

What a rich aviation history for the US!

I will post some pictures hopefully when I get a chance.

The point I'm trying to make is if you wanna fight, you have to learn from the US.

China might be catching up somewhat with its hardware.

But I can assure you they are NO WHERE NEAR the US in terms of training.

Turkey needs 3-5 years for a fighter aircraft

Which fighter aircraft is in development? I only heard about the stealth fighter your are planning to develop with Rolls Royce engine? Are you also developing a 4 or 4.5 gen fighter?

Paper bags have nothing to fear!

Whats up with the music?

This is so effeminate.

Paper bags have nothing to fear!

Whats up with the music?

This is so effeminate.
He isn't a visiting foreign dignitary to have kids with bouquets greet him!
What is that all about?

On the topic, the sale can be done overnight if India would just instruct "zulfon wali Janejahan" about it.
One diktat and F-16s will be ordered by Dhaka come hell or high water.

What do you see as the trouble with Western jets like Gripen?

Sanctions on the engine. In any conflict, if the US sides with the enemy, they will sanction the engine, besides US has heavy influence on Sweden. Also, as far as I know Sweden has a policy of not supplying during war. So we will be screwed in all possible directions.

For us, we need a large Chinese fleet that will be the workhorse. Then we need a separate western platform for special hing-end duties that has no connection with the US. Only Rafale fits the bill.

Sanctions on the engine. In any conflict, if the US sides with the enemy, they will sanction the engine, besides US has heavy influence on Sweden. Also, as far as I know Sweden has a policy of not supplying during war. So we will be screwed in all possible directions.

For us, we need a large Chinese fleet that will be the workhorse. Then we need a separate western platform for special hing-end duties that has no connection with the US. Only Rafale fits the bill.

LOL. Rafale and BAF don't belong in the same sentence bro.

If your gonna go West, its F-16 or Gripen.

But I agree. A split buy is the best scenario.

Chinese/Russian option and a Western one.

Kinda like Malaysia with their Hornets and Flankers and Fulcrums.

or Indonesia with their Fighting Falcons and Flankers.

The majority of the fleet I agree would be non-Western.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom