What's new

US-Made Launch System For Indian Aircraft Carrier Possible: Indian Navy Chief

We should start the rail gun research !

What makes you think we are not already? ;)

For the Last time, there is a Capacitor, its an Electro-mechanical Capacitor. :hitwall:

The electro mechanical capacitors aren't that reliable enough to be deployed on a military platform, money had been invested on its development in late 90s, nothing significant has been achieved on that front, apart from few proof of concept.

What makes you think we are not already? ;)

The electro mechanical capacitors aren't that reliable enough to be deployed on a military platform, money had been invested on its development in late 90s, nothing significant has been achieved on that front, apart from few proof of concept.

https://www.utexas.edu/research/cem/ESRDC_pub/PN 292 Hebner.pdf
"
Conclusion

While significant development work is needed to reliably capture the potential benefits highlighted here, it appears that there may be important advantages to incorporate an electromagnetic rail gun, powered by advanced alternators, in a future electric ship. The energy storage required for the application shows promise for producing significant improvements in the efficiency, reliability, and quality of the ship’s power system for the majority of the ship’s life when the rail gun is not in use.

This work was supported in part by the Office of Naval Research."

https://www.utexas.edu/research/cem/ESRDC_pub/PN 292 Hebner.pdf
"
Conclusion

While significant development work is needed to reliably capture the potential benefits highlighted here, it appears that there may be important advantages to incorporate an electromagnetic rail gun, powered by advanced alternators, in a future electric ship. The energy storage required for the application shows promise for producing significant improvements in the efficiency, reliability, and quality of the ship’s power system for the majority of the ship’s life when the rail gun is not in use.

This work was supported in part by the Office of Naval Research."

No mention of electro-mechanical capacitors in the whole article. Apart from that, the conclusion is very redundant in nature, and looks like a poorly written proposal for some defense funding or maybe the first few reiteration of the proposal.

No mention of electro-mechanical capacitors in the whole article. Apart from that, the conclusion is very redundant in nature, and looks like a poorly written proposal for some defense funding or maybe the first few reiteration of the proposal.

LOL........ ya, its only written by a bunch of PhD .......... clearly posters in pdf know better. :coffee:

R. Hebner, Ph.D., J. Pappas, MSEE, J. Kitzmiller, Ph.D., K. Davey, Ph.D., J. Herbst, BSME, A. Ouroua, Ph.D., J. Beno, Ph.D

I suggest you give a search for "capacitor" in that document. The entire paper is on an electro mechnical capacitor and its use in a Rail Gun.

Research papers saying there are "potential benefits"

"In order to enhance its functionality, this research explored the potential use of the energy stored in the rotors of high-speed alternators of a naval EM gun power supply"

c'mon. They are not currently being used in the EMALS installed on the Ford-class, rest assured.

That document was published in 2004, this is 2015.

LOL........ ya, its only written by a bunch of PhD .......... clearly posters in pdf know better. :coffee:

R. Hebner, Ph.D., J. Pappas, MSEE, J. Kitzmiller, Ph.D., K. Davey, Ph.D., J. Herbst, BSME, A. Ouroua, Ph.D., J. Beno, Ph.D

I suggest you give a search for "capacitor" in that document. The entire paper is on an electro mechnical capacitor and its use in a Rail Gun.

I'm also a PhD (ongoing) in a premier US university, so I'm very much acquainted with the quality of writing one has to go through for acceptance in journal. Given the citations, this is a very rough framework which needs to be worked upon to be submitted for any funding proposal. And the entire article is about firing a rail gun using rapid discharge of capacitors, normal capacitors in this case.

I'm also a PhD (ongoing) in a premier US university, so I'm very much acquainted with the quality of writing one has to go through for acceptance in journal. Given the citations, this is a very rough framework which needs to be worked upon to be submitted for any funding proposal. And the entire article is about firing a rail gun using rapid discharge of capacitors, normal capacitors in this case.

Ya, everybody's a Phd in pdf.

Why not ? just claim that you run the university or US Navy. That is how this works, right ?

An Error Occurred Setting Your User Cookie

This is one of the paper I co-authored some 1.5 years back while I was doing MS, which was funded by US Air Force. This is not even a funding proposal, but a journal publication. Still there is some contrast in the quality of writing, and citation. None of the citation in your paper actually refers to any electro-mechanical capacitor citation.

General Electric say on their website, for EMALS: "Electrical energy stored in capacitors in a pulsed power system creates magnetic fields that accelerate an armature between two rails to launch projectiles at 2 to 2.5 km/sec (Mach 6 to 7.5)."

It is very clear what this means, with no need to manufacture new "facts", and over-complicate things.

Its General Atomic, not General Electric.

That would be overkill...no?
60000 would be adequate..

60 K wont suffice as for as the space is concerned. EMALS hog one whole acre of precious as well as constrained space towards its (EMALS) equipments which reside beneath the flat top. Then, the 3rd of the flat top (surface) is reserved for catapult track for assisted take off. Finally you need a massive energy burst/surge (electricity = 100 million watts) for these fully armed & fueled heavy fighters for a lift off.

India shouldnt spend a penny on EMALS. We are a developing country. After having set up the desired infrasctructure for AAC manufacturing in India, India can build future AAC at < 2 bill$ a piece.

Why do we get carried away with costly western technology. No country can build defense with imported over priced equipments

Back
Top Bottom