What's new

US knocks on a closed door seeking to extend Iran arms embargo - Russia’s UN envoy

Piotr

Reaction score
Country
Poland
US knocks on a closed door seeking to extend Iran arms embargo - Russia’s UN envoy
FOREIGN POLICY
13 May, 06:51

The New York Times reported that Washington sought "to pressure the United Nations Security Council to extend an arms embargo on Tehran or see far more stringent sanctions reimposed on the country"

THE UNITED NATIONS, May 13. /TASS/. The United States cannot demand the extension of arms embargo against Tehran since it is no more a party to the Iran nuclear deal, Russia’s UN envoy Vasily Nebenzya told a press conference with journalists via a video link-up.

"I do not see any reasons why arms embargo should be imposed on Iran," Nebenzya said. "It expires on 18 October. It was temporary. Let’s call a spade a spade: it was not in fact even an embargo. It is the provision where Iran is allowed to export/import armaments on the consent of the Security Council. Of course, you may call it a de-facto embargo, because we know what would happen if Iran asked for such waiver, but technically it was not an embargo. For us it’s clear, it expires on 18 October. We proceed from that fact."

The high-ranking diplomat recalled that exactly two years ago, the US "proudly announced" that it withdrew from the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) and closed the door behind. "Now they knock on that door and say "just wait a second, we forgot to do one little thing on the JCPOA. Let us back, we will do it and leave again". This is ridiculous," he said. "You know, in order to be able to use the instruments provided by JCPOA you first have to be a participant of the JCPOA. The US has not been an effective participant of the JCPOA for two years now."

The New York Times reported on April 26 that Washington sought "to pressure the United Nations Security Council to extend an arms embargo on Tehran or see far more stringent sanctions reimposed on the country." Russia’s Foreign Ministry said in a statement on March 3 that an extension of the arms embargo was not on the table. Under the JCPOA, which was signed between five permanent members of the UN Security Council plus Germany with Iran in 2015, Tehran will be able to purchase armaments and military equipment from foreign suppliers since October.

https://tass.com/politics/1155727

c2b654e7_resizedScaled_1020to499.jpg

:lol:

Lol, just reading this makes me think American's are inherently stupid, you took yourself out of the agreement yet you want to use it's levers of power. This is when autism hits all time high, but what can you expect from a country who selected a moron like Trump.

Last edited:
Lol, just reading this makes me think American's are inherently stupid, you look out of the agreement yet you want to use it's levers of power. This is when autism hits all time high, but what can you expect form a country who selected a moron like Trump.
They're not stupid, they're psychopaths who think they can do anything they want because the world doesn't care enough to put a stop to their behaviors.

i think iran is getting ready for orders to china and russia

Probably bartering Oil for Weapons with China And Russia (Russia could sell on Iranian Oil to Europe and claim it is Russian Oil) at a steep discount (probably 40-50%below market rate); could see an S-400 deal, new fighters, new civil and military transports, etc.

why arms embargo to crypto ally in this new great game. It makes me laugh, how they are making stupid entire world by such senesational dramatic news.

Probably bartering Oil for Weapons with China And Russia (Russia could sell on Iranian Oil to Europe and claim it is Russian Oil) at a steep discount (probably 40-50%below market rate); could see an S-400 deal, new fighters, new civil and military transports, etc.
they need badly new airforce their vantage air force is falling apart now

Russia is not reliable for weapon transfer, the Israeli influence on the Russians is too high. I consider Pakistan to be more reliable in weapon sales than Russia. China is OK too considering they are the only ones right now at the moment (publicly) to buy Iranian oil.

they need badly new airforce their vantage air force is falling apart now

More than likely going to be Chinese weapons, because they have had a bad experience trying to get the S-300 all those years ago

Probably going to be J-10CE is large numbers, to replace a large part of their fleet.

More than likely going to be Chinese weapons, because they have had a bad experience trying to get the S-300 all those years ago

Probably going to be J-10CE is large numbers, to replace a large part of their fleet.
they will go russian even if they have bad history . only they got f-7s from china in very short numbers in past .lets see where they go .

Russia is not reliable for weapon transfer, the Israeli influence on the Russians is too high. I consider Pakistan to be more reliable in weapon sales than Russia. China is OK too considering they are the only ones right now at the moment (publicly) to buy Iranian oil.

Chinese probably the only ones with the courage to stand up to the US and sell Iran the weapons. It will be part of some kind of large OBOR deal, to show it is a comprehensive security/economic/social deal.

they will go russian even if they have bad history . only they got f-7s from china in very short numbers in past .lets see where they go .

Probably Russian Su-35 and S-400. If the deal falls apart they can just buy a similar system from China, which they would be smart to remind the Russians they would do.

Last edited:
Chinese probably the only ones with the courage to stand up to the US and sell Iran the weapons. It will Rph any be part of some kind of large OBOR deal, to show it is a comprehensive security/economic/social deal.

Probably Russian Su-35 and S-400. If the deal falls apart they can just buy a similar system from China, which they would be smart to remind the Russians they would do.
as i am airliners fan i have seen a huge mismanagement by iranians at the time of ordering airliners hope they will repeat same mistakes and end up getting nothing:D

as i am airliners fan i have seen a huge mismanagement by iranians at the time of ordering airliners hope they will repeat same mistakes and end up getting nothing:D
Instead of buying brand new civilian jets they just could have purchased used ones in good shape from countries like brazil,china,france,turkey etc

Right now the state of the iranian civil airliners would have been in a much better shape. The West is just too unreliable for long term contracts ( especially If you are not their puppet).

What mismanagement? Care to elaborate?

On the topic, I think Iran should buy 10 Chengdu J-20 fighters and ask China for ToT of 4+ generation jet fighters.

Instead of buying brand new civilian jets they just could have purchased used ones in good shape from countries like brazil,china,france,turkey etc

Right now the state of the iranian civil airliners would have been in a much better shape. The West is just too unreliable for long term contracts (If you are not their puppet).
exactly this is was my point sir they should got some 50 B-777 30 A-310S 50 A320 AND 30turbo. but they rush to Boeing and airbus like kings and their order was delivered only few ATRs and here sanctions come . now they are riding same old donkey . India /Vietnam/leasing companies and some western carriers offering same time some good 5 years old b777s but Iranians were high on sky .

Back
Top Bottom