What's new

US eyeing Kashmir for military base

The news is interesting, no doubt.

But it is high speculative and the broadcaster has given no facts to substantiate the claim, though it is conceded that the controversial content will indeed attract more listeners and thus add to the till.

India, so far, has not given bases to any country, nor has entered any pact, nor has seen taken military aid. And she has fought four war quite successfully without such foreign "assistance".

Therefore, when she is emerging to be more self sufficient than before, to have foreign bases on its soil, is a bit far fetched.

Sometimes back, there was joint military exercise between India and US forces in kashmir vally, the main aim of that exercise was to excel in mountain warfare. US military base in Kashmir is definetly a far fetched reality, but by looking at the way Indo-US stretegic partnership is bearing the fruit, I would definetly wish to see some sort of change in Indian Foreign Policy in terms of allowing US forces in Kashmir. I don't think India would allow entire US contingent comprises of offensive Armed vechiles to base itself in Kashmir.

But India would definetly like to allow US to layer its tactics somewhere around Laddakh region and bordering china in terms of survelliance. Since India sees china as potential adverseries, and hence to keep a close watch over region bordering china, India would likely to get some help from US in terms of survelliance in the form of Satellite, sophistacted long range radar etc. If India wants to plays its card very well against china and insurgence then I don't think she would have to do some compromises in its policy.

But India would definetly like to allow US to layer its tactics somewhere around Laddakh region and bordering china in terms of survelliance. Since India sees china as potential adverseries, and hence to keep a close watch over region bordering china, India would likely to get some help from US in terms of survelliance in the form of Satellite, sophistacted long range radar etc. If India wants to plays its card very well against china and insurgence then I don't think she would have to do some compromises in its policy.

These are simply your wishes. Not gonna happen. :disagree:

Kent,

When there is no requirement, why should India have any foreign presence in its country?

The High Altitude exercises and the Counter Insurgency training is and was for the US Army's benefit and not for India's. The US wanted a first hand experience of the environment that prevails in Asiatic high altitude as also to interact since India has a long history of high altitude warfare and counter insurgency.

Likewise, the Indian Air Force has undertaken exercises in foreign countries to gain from the western expertise including its logistic support system that is critical for employment of the Air Force in war.

The Indian Navy exercises with foreign navies are on the same lines.

These are for mutual benefit and in no way suggestive of being focussed against any specific country.

A base would surely be taken as a country/ countries specific measure and this would not be the correct national image that we have so far been able to uphold.

Kent,

When there is no requirement, why should India have any foreign presence in its country?

Oh man if you read my post correctly and understand the essence of it then you come to know my intent wasn't to allow US based itself in Kashmir. I had just opinioned regarding survelliance not in terms of basing US military continegnet in Kashmir. As far as I know about survelliance system across the bordering china is very poor as compared to what we have around western border. My notion wasn't to allow US forces in kashmir as I know it is against our soveriegn right, but cooperating with US as they are exclusive in survelliance and intellegance techniques.

The High Altitude exercises and the Counter Insurgency training is and was for the US Army's benefit and not for India's.

On the basis of what premise are you saying that? Since fighting with insurgent as compared to exercise with US is completely a different ball game. Since US forces are highly equipped with electronic and top notch gadagets as compared to insurgent with whom IA regulary engage. Having exercise with elite forces of US, India have much to benefit from it since they are exercising against well-equipped soldiers which will going to help indian forces to fight more efficiently against insurgancy.

The US wanted a first hand experience of the environment that prevails in Asiatic high altitude as also to interact since India has a long history of high altitude warfare and counter insurgency.

Absolutley true, hence that was the object of that exercise as well as simultenously allow Indian soldiers to exercise with well-equipped US soldiers.

Likewise, the Indian Air Force has undertaken exercises in foreign countries to gain from the western expertise including its logistic support system that is critical for employment of the Air Force in war.

Western expertise but in terms of Airwarfare tactics and one of the exclusive fighter planes,as they are elite airforces in the world with vast experince of airwarfare then India.

The Indian Navy exercises with foreign navies are on the same lines.

But in terms of Naval warfare, Indian Navy has very less experince in Naval warfare as compared to their Foreign counterparts as they are much more sophistected then Indian counterparts.

These are for mutual benefit and in no way suggestive of being focussed against any specific country.

Definetly, but my point was that is there is anything wrong by allowing US survelliance gadets over Indian terroritery and learn the derived tactic from it.

A base would surely be taken as a country/ countries specific measure and this would not be the correct national image that we have so far been able to uphold.

Man there is no question arises regarding spoiling national image , since just cooperting on the basis of allowing US survellience gadets over Indian territory with sole notion of learning from it as US has much more experince then India in this regard which would work wonder against any chinese aggression. As you are aware about how formidable our survellience around region bordering china.

If you have read my post correctly, I had mentioned that foreign forces basing over indian territory is far fatched reality.

If you are aware about US trying to cosying with India to develop stretegic partnership, you would not have made such statement.

Stop your wishes. Everyone who posts here know that.

The key is to stop assuming "things".

And when you have done that you will include a second point, which is more realistic in your conclusion.

What India and U.S. plan to do, try to do, want to do, or wish to do in this case, is something we all know is far fetched, and when it cannot be confirmed it is likely thats its not going to happen.

Unless KENT, you have the inside sources which confirm you every day of the choices the Indian government is making and is ready to sign the agreement on. You must be right. India and U.S. will collaborate to counter China from Kashmir.

Now i am assuming that you will provide some sort of credible evidence to confirm that it is going to happen. Please do so as urgently as possible since your so sure that it is going to happen. ;)

Stop your wishes.

Why does those claim referred to be as as wishes, since you don’t have anything creadible to challenge it?

Everyone who posts here know that.

If they know that then they can come and challenge it.

The key is to stop assuming "things".

It were my opinions, if you got any problem with that they you can come and counter it with some positive contribution and shed some light over it to improve my understanding.

And when you have done that you will include a second point, which is more realistic in your conclusion.

Whatever! Since I know what I have concluding based on realistic premise.

What India and U.S. plan to do, try to do, want to do, or wish to do in this case, is something we all know is far fetched, and when it cannot be confirmed it is likely thats its not going to happen.

India and US have carried a formal strategic dialogue over almost a decade. The primary regular conversion for this is Defence Policy Group, which has focused mainly on briefing on broder US policies and on discussing relatively non-controversial issue on which India and US share similar views. In addition to it, two countries have maintain Joint Working Group on Terrorism, which has been most successful in dealing with Operational aspects of the problem.

The Emerging Indo-US strategic partnership is defined largly in operational terms by increasingly numerous and sophisticated joint exercise the countries have conducted and their growing willingness to work towards interoperability and defence trade.

Unless KENT, you have the inside sources which confirm you every day of the choices the Indian government is making and is ready to sign the agreement on.

Kindly tell me, How many guyes on this forum have inside sources who can substantiate their claims? Everyone come over here with what they come across in their day to day life regarding Geo-Political equation associated with their countries.

You must be right. India and U.S. will collaborate to counter China from Kashmir.

Courtesy.

Now i am assuming that you will provide some sort of credible evidence to confirm that it is going to happen. Please do so as urgently as possible since your so sure that it is going to happen. ;)

Man there is no need to provide any kind of crediable evidence to justify my claim, afterall it was my opinion based my knowledge of Indo-US friendship. Some of recent major events like Indo-US Nucler Deal, Malabar Exercise and host of all other exercise involving airforces and armies of both the countries, recent some high profile defence trade are all evident of the fact that my claim has definetly hold some weigh.

KENT,

There is indeed a possibility. There is no denying in that. But coming off with the statements like your last post, like your hell of a sure, is pretty darn immature.

There are many who do realize that it is not going to happen, and thats what is most likely going to be the case.

United States backing India in various things no way supports your claim of using Kashmir as an strategic point against China.

Unless you do have the sources of which you speak of!

KENT,

There is indeed a possibility. There is no denying in that. But coming off with the statements like your last post, like your hell of a sure, is pretty darn immature.

There are many who do realize that it is not going to happen, and thats what is most likely going to be the case.

United States backing India in various things no way supports your claim of using Kashmir as an strategic point against China.

Quite right webby....

But the problem is that this hypo assumtion of events which will occur cannot be backed by anyone...:agree:

Quite right webby....

But the problem is that this hypo assumtion of events which will occur cannot be backed by anyone...:agree:

I understand. Thats where an opinion comes into play. But pleeeezee stick with a realistic opinion.

Unless you can prove it without further assumptions.

KENT,

In my previous post I had specifically mentioned that It was my opinion and it is not that whatever come out of mouth is full and final. I had gave an example of Indo-US friendship and associated elements and on that basis of which in my opinion I would like to suggest to my country to allow US to based their surveillience equipment as far as I know about survellience in eastern border is very poor and by this survellience India could get to learn a lot regarding intellegence tactics. I never directly came and claim that India will use kashmir with US as buffer against china. There are several regions of India apart from kashmir bordering china.

KENT,

Offcourse, since everyone have their opinion and different outlook and hence they looks think differently. In my case, as far as Indo-US partnership goes furthur by looking at the its scale as evident from the fact that Military exercises, Nucler deal, host of all other Business and trading cooperation, so it is absolutely not unfair on my part that India could US survellience tactics bordering china just with the intention of learning intelligence tactics.

Offcourse, it may be the case, but looking at the scale of Indo-US friendship the possibility cannot be rulled out. I mean it is not that India would allow US to use kashmir against china, I just advocating about Intelligence tactics as preventive measure to foil any kind of chinese aggression.

Definetly, but the scale at which Indo-US friendship proceeding furthur speaks for itself about its creadiability as viable source.

Oh man if you read my post correctly and understand the essence of it then you come to know my intent wasn't to allow US based itself in Kashmir. I had just opinioned regarding survelliance not in terms of basing US military continegnet in Kashmir. As far as I know about survelliance system across the bordering china is very poor as compared to what we have around western border. My notion wasn't to allow US forces in kashmir as I know it is against our soveriegn right, but cooperating with US as they are exclusive in survelliance and intellegance techniques.

I am not too sure as to how an exercise's limited duration can give us the surveillance and intelligence that is required in perpetuity.

On the basis of what premise are you saying that? Since fighting with insurgent as compared to exercise with US is completely a different ball game. Since US forces are highly equipped with electronic and top notch gadagets as compared to insurgent with whom IA regulary engage. Having exercise with elite forces of US, India have much to benefit from it since they are exercising against well-equipped soldiers which will going to help indian forces to fight more efficiently against insurgancy.

CI training is how to undertake the basic operation i.e. physical part of it and not the intelligence part.

I am not too sure what extraordinary insight we might get by this joint training. It was basically aimed to allow the insight into the India mode of countering CI.

Technology is an aid - force multiplier - it is not the same thing as physical action which is totally different kettle of fish.

Indeed.

However, a commonality in the geostrategic aims would coalesce the goals.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom