What's new

US DOD has approved a FMS for Pakistani F16s for Sniper pods & LANTIRN navigation pod

Pakistan will treat F-16 in next 20 years as it treated Mirage in last 20 years. We will buy spare and used ones whereever we can at low cost, upgrade them and replace old F-7s and Mirages. Ultimately Azm will be final replacement for F-16. JF-17 cannot truly replace F-16.

Only issue is in past no country needed French permission to sell on it's second hand Mirages to Pakistan. Now all F-16 users need US permission to sell their F-16s to Pakistan. We just need US to play ball here. Not a big ask if we carry on pouring money into US companies for the upgrade kits and more weapons

Exactly, if Pakistan can get a favorable window to purchase as many used F-16s the better. The JF-17 was never designed to be a replacement for the F-16 but a replacement for the short legged F-7s. If the PAF can procure a further 100 new/used F-16s and keep building JF-17s until it reaches 250, it can safely retire all its Mirages and F-7s. It’s the most cost effective stop gap until Project AZM is ready, even if the F-16 are not fully upgraded, they are still better then what we can expect if we upgraded our mirages.

Exactly, if Pakistan can get a favorable window to purchase as many used F-16s the better. The JF-17 was never designed to be a replacement for the F-16 but a replacement for the short legged F-7s. If the PAF can procure a further 100 new/used F-16s and keep building JF-17s until it reaches 250, it can safely retire all its Mirages and F-7s. It’s the most cost effective stop gap until Project AZM is ready, even if the F-16 are not fully upgraded, they are still better then what we can expect if we upgraded our mirages.

Almost all used F-16s are now MLU or C/D, very few (if any) standard A/B versions left on the market. To standardise all PAF has to do is adjust used MLU to it's own MLU standard. There is not one version of MLU but several, M2 Tape to M6 tape, you can read more here

http://www.f-16.net/f-16_versions_article2.html

Almost all used F-16s are now MLU or C/D, very few (if any) standard A/B versions left on the market. To standardise all PAF has to do is adjust used MLU to it's own MLU standard. There is not one version of MLU but several, M2 Tape to M6 tape, you can read more here

http://www.f-16.net/f-16_versions_article2.html

Good point. Maintain one PAF MLU standard throughout the fleet is important, but pushing that standard higher every chance we get should be a priority. This will allow the F-16, if given the chance to get an AESA upgrade, to maximize its utility and continue to stay competitive against adversary 4th gen platforms.

The new standard should include:

1. Modernizing Datalinks as well as a high volume, high speed databus to gather and share vital data
2 Better MAWS and ESM
3. Upgrading the Mission computer, avionics, and parts of the cockpit to better display sensor fuzed data
4. Better internal jammer
5. A towed decoy system as well as expendable decoys
6. Inflight fueling probe in the conformal fuel tank; allowing the jet to be better used in the maritime domain
7. Ground collision avoidance software to maximize flying map of the earth for air to ground missions
8. JHMCS for all single seat pilots as well as for all front seat pilots on twin seaters
9. Structural life extension to 12,000 hours

Good point. Maintain one PAF MLU standard throughout the fleet is important, but pushing that standard higher every chance we get should be a priority. This will allow the F-16, if given the chance to get an AESA upgrade, to maximize its utility and continue to stay competitive against adversary 4th gen platforms.

1. Modernizing Datalinks as well as a high volume, high speed databus to gather and share vital data
2 Better MAWS and ESM
3. Upgrading the Mission computer, avionics, and parts of the cockpit to better display sensor fuzed data
6. Inflight fueling probe in the conformal fuel tank; allowing the jet to be better used in the maritime domain
7. Ground collision avoidance software to maximize flying map of the earth for air to ground missions
8. JHMCS for all single seat pilots as well as for all front seat pilots on twin seaters

You have to be realistic here, current MLU standard is fine for South Asia needs, AESA will add greatly to cost and involve another dance with US.

Having current PAF MLU is fine, just get as many planes as we can, maybe another 36 for 2 more sqaudrons. That gives PAF a very healthy 7 squadron force at very low cost. During these times we will be having 8-10 squadrons of JF-17s all of whom will be slowly converting to Block III/AESA. Combine that with a networked forced backed by 10 Erieyes, and you have a very very formidable air defence system.

Remember India has scrapped MRCA, only 36 Rafales on the way split between China and Pak front. LCA is a joke and you can expect another 5 years delay till you see operational LCA units facing Pakistan. SU-30 and Mirage 2000 are the biggest threats too, but with the force outlined above you can expect PAF to cope

I don't think Venezuela has put its 20 F-16s A/B on the market but maybe PAF should talk to them.

if jf17 is that good of an aircraft then why we didnt use this ag india on27 feb in air to air role?
answer is simple. you can not count on jf17 for every possible role. india is buying rafeal and top end military hardware.
plz dont argue that jf17 can easily take on rafeal.

oh really? do we have any capable jet which is comparable to latest f16 block70 or rafeal? how we are gonna win a war with just 18 block 52's. if we won little skirmishes that does not mean PAF would win a war ag india with its current assets. plz stop being delusional like sanghis and bakhts.

you sounds like pakistan has billions of dollars piled up. youre getting latest block 70 with CSF of roughly 7 to 8 billion dollars you still arent happy with the US. pakistanis are the most emotional/delusional people in this world they dont have any f**king clue about the geostrategic environment or whats going on they just keep blaming US or other western countries although they have receive billions of dollars in aid money over the years

beggars can not negotiate.
Listen kid,mind your tone!
I have been reading your stupid tweets on twitter as well and i just want to tell you that reading khafee’s information won’t make you an expert!
And you said we didn’t use jf-17 on 27 feb in air to air role?really?
Then kindly tell me what the 8 jf-17s doing in air then??? In addition to 12 F-16s and the strike package!

india is buying rafeal and top end military hardware.
plz dont argue that jf17 can easily take on rafeal.
India is fully entitled to buy new toys.
Now listen carefully...
When a Pl-15 missile goes of the rail, it doesn't know that a JF-17 let it go.
In a BVR environment AESA equipped thunder will do the job against the Rafale and Su30. However, it will be good if we can get new F16s. It will be a much needed bonus.

Considering the number of Mirages and F-7s that need to be replaced and that the PAF may max out on JF-17 at 200-250. It will still need at least another 100 aircraft to maintain its current fighter numbers. Buying a large number of used F-16 air frames (with PAF funds) and putting them though a MLU in the US (under CSF funding) are probably the best way to get the most bang for its buck. Coupling this with large acquisitions of munitions such as Aim-120C7, Aim-9X, JSOW and JMHCS helmets.

If the PAF can get approved to buy the Block 70 it can then try get all those used F-16s upgraded with AESA radars.

Also, now that sub-systems/accessories are being sold, PAF should look at getting upgrades for its current F-16s like a towed decoy, DRFM based Jammer pods, JHMCS for all F-16s, Inflight refueling probe enabled conformal fuel tanks for the C/D models, upgrades to the ESM or MAWS to better detect missiles fired upon the F-16, and datalink upgrades to better share the information from the sniper pod with the rest of the Air Force and the Commanders on the ground.

down the line, if Pakistan is allowed to buy more F-16s, new or used, or even if Pakistan is allowed to just buy more weapons, it should serious try to buy the sensor fuzed weapon in large numbers along with cruise missiles like JSOW to deploy them to counter the COLD START Integrated Battle Group Threat. This will go a long way in deterring Indian aggression, when it knows it’s forces will be decimated. sensor fuzed weapon strikes on a platform like the JSOW can also be a great way to deal with pop-up threats like the S-400. The many skeets can engage and re-engage the many elements of an S-400 or other air defense battery.

PAF, should also find a way to get the Britecloud expendable decoy system added to its F-16s.
This guy deserves a positive rating for this post.

I have been reading your stupid tweets on twitter as well and i just want to tell you that reading khafee’s information won’t make you an expert!
Then kindly tell me what the 8 jf-17s doing in air then??? In addition to 12 F-16s and the strike package!

I believe it was the Mirage V that bombed the Indian targets, and the F-16 that shot down the 2 planes. The JF-17, while capable, is not meant to replace the F-16, but the old and useless aircraft.

I believe it was the Mirage V that bombed the Indian targets, and the F-16 that shot down the 2 planes. The JF-17, while capable, is not meant to replace the F-16, but the old and useless aircraft.
I don’t want To derail the thread so i’ll advice you to watch the documentary released by ministry of information and broadcasting
And i never said jf-17 is meant to replace f-16

there is no point of discussing why the jf17s were with the strike package but if you see the fact sheet both of these kills were done by f16.
jf17
stop living in the dream like we have been living for the past 70 years.

India’s role is highly exaggerated. The US sold F-16 Block 52 and the largest single order of AMRAAMs despite India’s cries. This made F-16s the most potent aircraft in South Asia as evinced in February 27th. The United States relationship with Pakistan isn’t India-centric. America has its own interests in pursuing stronger ties with Pakistan regardless of how India feels.

Nicely stated, too often I have read comments where they slag off a specific country for not providing full options to Pakistan just because they also have ties to India. Pakistanis should concentrate on making Pakistan itself more indispensable and try to understand the world geopolitics. Pakistan has a commanding place in the world due to its location, population and other demographics. The current government seemed to have taken good steps in strengthening it but the locals need to understand this as well, the world doesn't revolve around India; as much as they would like to think so.

You make your own luck in this world.

India’s role is highly exaggerated. The US sold F-16 Block 52 and the largest single order of AMRAAMs despite India’s cries. This made F-16s the most potent aircraft in South Asia as evinced in February 27th. The United States relationship with Pakistan isn’t India-centric. America has its own interests in pursuing stronger ties with Pakistan regardless of how India feels.

Agreed. But at times India and Pakistan do seem to factor into each other's relationship with the US. For instance, Carter refused to sell A-7 Corsair II to Pakistan partially because of Pakistan's nuclear weapons programme and partially because he wanted to improve ties with India. However, I do believe that the entire F-16 saga has largely been Pakistan's own making: from Block-15A/B induction to imposing of Pressler Amendment to Block 52C/D+MLUs+AMRAAM induction to scaling back of the cooperation to this partial reinstatement of the technical support.

plz stop being delusional like sanghis and bakhts.
You're new here, right?

First get some lessons in decorum and know whom you're tangoing with.

Once you've gained the confidence of other (respectable) Members/Mods - you may attempt your Trash Talk.

Mind you, there is someone new who comes here every week thinking that they're superbad until they get skooled and later tossed/banned.

[Note: This isn't a Warning - a mere piece of advice]
@BHarwana @waz @krash

Last edited:
Lockheed Martin has received a FMS for Pakistani F16s of Sniper, Infrared Search and Track (IRST); and Low Altitude Navigation and Targeting Infrared for Night (LANTIRN) navigation pod (fixed wing) hardware production.
The total contract is worth $485 million which includes multiple US allies. Work will be performed in Orlando, Florida, and various locations to be identified at the order level. The work is expected to be completed by May 2025.

Thank you India. Keep delaying Afghan peace and Viper will come as well. :-)

https://www.defense.gov/Newsroom/Contracts/Contract/Article/2190758/

fake news!!!

Indians proved that PAF violated the terms of sales.. so sanctions are in order!!!

indian Defense analysts... where are you....??????

Getting permission to buy old F-16s is not enough, for used F-16s PAF will need permission for SLEP and Block-70/72 MLU so they could be good assets in future air Battles with advance aircrafts of enemy.

2 Better MAWS and ESM
9. Structural life extension to 12,000 hours

In Short Block-70/72 upgrade should be standard for fleet with SLEP where needed.

Back
Top Bottom