What's new

US curbs feared: Pakistan to tell Iran IP project not implementable

Surenas

Reaction score
Pakistan has decided to formally convey to Iran that a multibillion-dollar gas pipeline project cannot move ahead due to possible US sanctions.

A Pakistani delegation would leave for Tehran by the end of this month to convey to Iranian officials there that a threat of US sanctions was the major stumbling block in implementing the Iran-Pakistan (IP) gas pipeline project, sources told The Express Tribune.

“The Foreign Office has given the go-ahead for conveying this message to Iranian officials,” said an official privy to the development.

On Thursday, the Foreign Office convened an inter-ministerial meeting where it was observed that Pakistan has failed to garner funds due to a threat of US sanctions. Even friendly countries like China have backed out from funding the project.

US curbs feared: Pakistan to tell Iran IP project not implementable – The Express Tribune

@haman10 ,@rmi5 ,@IraniGirl

Will Pakistan pay the penalty?

lets wait and see what happens . if the title is true ,

the question wont be "Will Pakistan pay the penalty?" but how will they do it .....

its their obligation to do so .

but still this is all an option only if the news is true . which i doubt as no iranian agency had reported it

@SOHEIL @mohsen @Ostad

the question wont be "Will Pakistan pay the penalty?" but how will they do it .....

pakistan is not a good neighbor and not acted like one . i think a couple of billion dollars as compensation will show them how to act as neighbors
Pakistan should have told Iran earlier instead of dragging this for so many years......

If Iran even finances the construction of pipeline then also i wonder how will pakistan pay for the oil.....

If Iran even finances the construction of pipeline then also i wonder how will pakistan pay for the oil.....
iran is not in a position to pay for the pipeline .

as for paying for the gas , there are some options for pakistan to pay for it .

like removing subsidy for iran imported goods , paying with their gold reserves if they dont have enough dollars and .......

so thats the end of story !

whether pakistan finds a way to build the pipeline or they have to pay billions of $ as penalty .

I know somehow this Pipeline will be built and we will also recieve the gas But too late than expected

Iranian gas price might be expensive but i read somewhere that indirectly it can produce 4000-5000mw of electricity for Pakistan.And i Dont think their is any other alternative which can provide us 4000-5000mw electricity within 1-2years.

And we all know Because of Less energy availability indirectly mean 2% less than in the economic growth rate

Pas behtar. Ye mosht moftkhor! Ma ham kheili koskhol bodim in pipeline ra sakhtim.

Lets terminate this agreement forever, and call it a day. Cut the losses and be done with it.

Is it because of US sanctions on the project or is it due to paucity of funds with Pakistan? Probably both?

Back
Top Bottom