What's new

Urdu was enforced on us, says Rabbani

You should research a little on the history of Urdu. The word Urdu itself is not from this Hindustani you speak of, how it is written (nothing like Hindi) and the use of many arabic, persian and turkish words ... again, you need to research.

Hindi and Urdu are sister languages, both were born in gangaland. Both use some loaned words from sanskrit and Persian..

Hindi and Urdu are sister languages, both were born in gangaland. Both use some loaned words from sanskrit and Persian..

Not denying that languages originated by gangaland but the shape and form of Urdu by the time of partition was heavily influenced by and infused with turkish, persian and arabic words (all muslim religions).

Putting State's language in a discussion is a dangereous thing. We saw this in our country in few years ago. Luckily we stopped doing this. Countries should have at least one official language which all citizens can speak, otherwise there won't be any connection between citizens and Nation.

Agreed. But the Hindus and Afghans (plus some idiots from our side) want to replace Urdu with English!

Putting State's language in a discussion is a dangereous thing. We saw this in our country in few years ago. Luckily we stopped doing this. Countries should have at least one official language which all citizens can speak, otherwise there won't be any connection between citizens and Nation.

Most people of Turkey had Turkish as their native language for most of history, apart from minority Kurds, Zazas and Greeks. The situation is not comparable to Pakistan.

Not denying that languages originated by gangaland but the shape and form of Urdu by the time of partition was heavily influenced by and infused with turkish, persian and arabic words (all muslim religions).

no one use salees urdu here, we all speak bollywoodized version of Urdu/Hindi,

how many People u see in your life who use word zouja instead of wife or bivi? How many people you see in your life saying Humne kal shab ahle khana k sath mehfil main shirkat ki vs Kal hum family k sath party per gaye they? :lol:

dont pretend its different, its same, difference is one borrow its script and loan word from sanskrit other from persian.. And majoity dont use that orthodox hindi or urdu in their lives now...

Last edited:
Our language, our way of speaking it, so none of your business :wave:

what is sikh Punjabi? It is Thet Punjabi , FYI. What is spoken in Pak Punjabi is mixture of Urdu Punjabi little bit of no idea what else.

What do you mean by none of our business. Please learn how to pronounce the words in Urdu first of all.

what is sikh Punjabi? It is Thet Punjabi , FYI. What is spoken in Pak Punjabi is mixture of Urdu Punjabi little bit of no idea what else.

What do you mean by none of our business. Please learn how to pronounce the words in Urdu first of all.

It doesn't matter what we speak, that's my point.

Urdu is the national language of Pakistan and will remain so. On this point, you should butt out!

no one use salees urdu here, we all speak bollywoodized version of Urdu/Hindi,

how many People u see in your life who use word zouja instead of wife or bivi? How many people you see in your life saying Humne kal shab alhe khana k sath mehfil main shirkat ki the vs Kal hum family k sath party per gaye they? :lol:

dont pretend its different, its same, difference is one borrow its script and loan word from sanskrit other from persian.. And majoity dont use that orthodox hindi or urdu in their lives now...

You'll be surprised that many Urdu speaking families (from generations) use all many of those words in that line of yours, on daily basis. What's your mother tongue btw?

I agree, current Urdu language is being cannibalised by bollywood crap, and that is due to the open hand given to the indian content to fuel this exact debate. 30 years back, anyone having such a discussion would have been brushed aside and pushed to the idiot corner.

Btw, my mother tongue is punjabi and my sentences in Urdu are very similar to the urdu part of that sentence of yours.

And I've only schooled first 8 years in Pakistan!

What Urdu does is make Pakistan come under the cultural hegemony of the Hindi Belt/Cow Belt of India. Why do you think Bollywood is so popular in Pakistan? as username @Kaptaan has said
"I would question the entire Bollywood industry and it's effect on Pakistan. Pakistan Army is going to be defeated. Pakistan will be defeated. When that defeat inevitably happens it will not be on the battlefield.

The defeat will be triumph of Bollywood over Pakistan. He who has the hearts and minds wins. In time Pakistani's will become "Indian's" as the cultural influence of Bollywood will swamp Pakistan. This was written in our destiny the day Pakistan chose Urdu which is the obverse side of Hindi. That is why you will not find a Pakistani household that does not watch Indian movies etc."

It just makes Pakistan look like some extension of the Ganges Plains.

Last edited:
What Urdu does is make Pakistan come under the cultural hegemony of the Hindi Belt/Cow Belt of India. Why do you think Bollywood is so popular in Pakistan? as username Kaptaan has said
"I would question the entire Bollywood industry and it's effect on Pakistan. Pakistan Army is going to be defeated. Pakistan will be defeated. When that defeat inevitably happens it will not be on the battlefield.

The defeat will be triumph of Bollywood over Pakistan. He who has the hearts and minds wins. In time Pakistani's will become "Indian's" as the cultural influence of Bollywood will swamp Pakistan. This was written in our destiny the day Pakistan chose Urdu which is the obverse side of Hindi. That is why you will not find a Pakistani household that does not watch Indian movies etc."

It just makes Pakistan look like some extension of the Ganges Basin.

Bollywood is popular because Pakistani cinema is not funded to produce quality stuff, neglected for far too long intentionally and then on an agenda.

Pakistan of 80's and Pakistan of now is very different due to the social impact of uncensored television of India and West. If you are old enough to know how things were in 80's, then you will understand. This impact can and will be reversed in time.

However that doesn't mean that India and Pakistan will become one. Anyone who says that is a fool.

Guys I have spoken in favor of regional languages but can't for a second understand people saying urdu should be replaced with english. Thats cultural degeneration right there with your own identity disappearing. I can never be in favor of that. Colonial mentality at work, thats for sure. In the current environment its a bonus to know english and it helps with finding employment and what not. But escaping your culture for something else and abandoning urdu? That is self loathing here. Not only urdu here but all regional languages too deserve attention. If we had colonized half the world we could have forced urdu down the throat of others too. But we are the colonized and we can never go back to that.

Most people of Turkey had Turkish as their native language for most of history, apart from minority Kurds, Zazas and Greeks. The situation is not comparable to Pakistan.

I don't agree with this, sir. Turkish is a mixture Anatolian language of all Turkic, Arabic, Persian, Kurdish, Armenian, Greek languages. Turkish has thousands of words from those languages. Same with Urdu. Urdu is a beautiful language which consists words from all of Pakistani cultures. Why not accepting this?

Colonial mentality at work, thats for sure.
Technically, imposing Urdu on the region of Pakistan is a continuation of British colonial policy.
But escaping your culture for something else and abandoning urdu? That is self loathing here.
Urdu speaking Muhajirs of Karachi would retain their language and would be saved from escaping their culture and abandoning their language :-)
If we had colonized half the world we could have forced urdu down the throat of others too

Like in Bangladesh/former East Pakistan?

Last edited:
It doesn't matter what we speak, that's my point.

Urdu is the national language of Pakistan and will remain so. On this point, you should butt out!

You'll be surprised that many Urdu speaking families (from generations) use all many of those words in that line of yours, on daily basis. What's your mother tongue btw?

I agree, current Urdu language is being cannibalised by bollywood crap, and that is due to the open hand given to the indian content to fuel this exact debate. 30 years back, anyone having such a discussion would have been brushed aside and pushed to the idiot corner.

i am Karachiite of Punjabi origin. Its difficult to locate those families.. I am talking about general people you meet in Pakistani cities.

Agree about rest.

i am Karachiite of Punjabi origin. Its difficult to locate those families.. I am talking about general people you meet in Pakistani cities.

Agree about rest.

They are around.

What's more interesting is that Punjabis are shifting to Urdu at a rapid rate, younger educated generation specifically. And the later sentence you stated is more common amongst those Punjabis, that I can agree.

Maids (from many different parts of Punjab) these days prefer to speak this latest cannibalised Urdu than Punjabi. Interesting trend nonetheless.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom