What's new

Upper Karnali Hydropower Project, Nepal

UKBengali

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
This is the first concrete example of BD, India and Nepal coming together to supply cheap and clean power to BD.

500MW out of the 900MW generated will go to BD. Most of the rest to India and remainder for Nepal.

Power station should be online by 2024.

@BananaRepublicUK

""The Upper Karnali hydropower project is a run-of-the-river hydropower project being developed on Karnali River in Nepal.

The project will supply power to Nepal, India, and Bangladesh for a contracted period of 25 years."

":Nepal is entitled to receive 12% free power from the total power generated by the project, while 56% will be sold to Bangladesh under a long-term power purchase agreement (PPA). The remaining 32% will be sold to India under short-term/mid-term/long-term bilateral purchase agreements."

This is the first concrete example of BD, India and Nepal coming together to supply cheap and clean power to BD.

500MW out of the 900MW generated will go to BD. Most of the rest to India and reminder for Nepal.

@BananaRepublicUK

""The Upper Karnali hydropower project is a run-of-the-river hydropower project being developed on Karnali River in Nepal.

The project will supply power to Nepal, India, and Bangladesh for a contracted period of 25 years."

":Nepal is entitled to receive 12% free power from the total power generated by the project, while 56% will be sold to Bangladesh under a long-term power purchase agreement (PPA). The remaining 32% will be sold to India under short-term/mid-term/long-term bilateral purchase agreements."

Absolutely brilliant.

Bhutan and Nepal should get unfettered access to the Bay of Bengal via Bangladesh.

SA needs to work together to lift each other from poverty.

West will lecture you on democracy and human rights and **** all besides!!!

Pakistan, please join the party!!

Absolutely brilliant.

Bhutan and Nepal should get unfettered access to the Bay of Bengal via Bangladesh.

SA needs to work together to lift each other from poverty.

West will lecture you on democracy and human rights and **** all besides!!!

This is just the start.

So once this power import starts in 2024, BD will get more than 2GW of power from India and Nepal.

I am comfortable with up to 20% of BD electricity coming from/via India as I said earlier this week.

BD electricity imports from Nepal and especially Bhutan would significantly help their finances.

Access to BD ports for Nepal/Bhutan is already happening I think or at least there are plans in place.

We shall hopefully see a tightly integrated region of 400 million people(BD, W. Bengal, NE States, Nepal and Bhutan) in 2030 where goods, services and energy are traded freely centred around the BD economy.

This is just the start.

So once this power import starts in 2024, BD will get more than 2GW of power from India and Nepal.

I am comfortable with up to 20% of BD electricity coming from/via India as I said earlier this week.

BD electricity imports from Nepal and especially Bhutan would significantly help their finances.

Access to BD ports for Nepal/Bhutan is already happening I think or at least there are plans in place.

We shall hopefully see a tightly integrated region of 400 million people(BD, W. Bengal, NE States, Nepal and Bhutan) in 2030 where goods, services and energy are traded freely centred around the BD economy.

Cheap and clean electricity will accelerate manufacturing in BD.

Great potential in bd for furniture making - need cheap timber from NE.

Cheap and clean electricity will accelerate manufacturing in BD.

Great potential in bd for furniture making - need cheap timber from NE.

BD already exports 100 million US dollars of goods to Nepal. Not bad for a very poor country of just 30 million with a GDP of just 40 billion US dollars.

It buys electricity from Nepal and sells home electronics and pharmaceuticals in return.

There are great synergies there between BD and Nepal.

I don't think it's a great idea to pull power through such a volatile area. It is Indian chicken neck with separatist crawling all over the place.

This is a real risk, risk needs to be mitigated proportionately.

Bangladesh is going to pay $400 million to Indian conpany for coronavirus related delay in setting up transmission lines.

Unnecessary bal...

Because we just needed power from Nepal via India...

My oh my, what genius at the planning commission approved this ??

Incompetent clowns are out of touch with reality.

The country has surplus electricity generation as of now and the rate at which new plants are being set up (as per generation capacity) is higher than the rate at which energy consumption is increasing even when industries are taken into account..

Do the everyone a favour and get to work on the transmission side of things now and reduce system loss.

What sort of abals are running amok in this country, harrowing.

I don't think it's a great idea to pull power through such a volatile area. It is Indian chicken neck with separatist crawling all over the place.

This is a real risk, risk needs to be mitigated proportionately.

Bangladesh is going to pay $400 million to Indian conpany for coronavirus related delay in setting up transmission lines.

Think you may need to look at a map again.

The power line would go through W Bengal and below the "Chicken's Neck".

At one extreme we have the Dhakaya chetona mob!

At the other we have the Noakhlia India phobes!

And you question my desperation to have a Sylheti back at the finance ministry??!!

We Sylhetis have always been the moderating force of Bangladesh!

Starting with M. A. G. Osmani.

At one extreme we have the Dhakaya chetona mob!

At the other we have the Noakhlia India phobes!

And you question my desperation to have a Sylheti back at the finance ministry??!!

We Sylhetis have always been the moderating force of Bangladesh!

Starting with M. A. G. Osmani.

In terms of current power surplus that is not as simple as some may think it is.

Some of the current capacity is expensive rental power plants and older power stations will be decommissioned as they come to the end of their service lives.

You always maintain some 30-40% spare capacity as a minimum anyway as some plants will be under maintenance and to have capacity in emergencies etc.

BD will go through a quantum leap in power consumption this decade as more and more SEZs come online and also both the Dhaka Metro and the also Chittagong one start operation.

As an idea, just the first Dhaka metro line will require 160MW and so the planned metro lines in total will require 1 GW of power.

The SEZs will require many GWs of extra power this decade.

We will also probably see much greater electricty usage rise this decade from homes as the grid has now gone to everyone, and people either have or will later on this decade reach the level where they can afford to buy lots of energy intensive appliances like TVs, fridges and even air conditioning units.

You simply do not want to be in a position where there is not enough power to both feed industry and the consumer. It will kill economic growth otherwise.

Edit - Currently BD has 23GW of generation capacity with maximum generation at 15GW.

It is estimated that by 2030 it will need 34GW of power - that is not generation capacity which will need to be around 45GW and so BD needs to build over 20GW of generation capacity in the next 8 years.

Last edited:

I did since you made a comment, I just don't see where the power lines are going through India so it goes below chicken neck.
Why waould India build transmission line 100s mile long ?
If it runs through Nepal it is going to through Chicken neck.
Mody blocked access to Nepal a few years ago, also the source of the power is run of the river. Unless the power is dirt cheap it doesn't make any sense to go through all that for 500 megawatt of power.

I did since you made a comment, I just don't see where the power lines are going through India so it goes below chicken neck.
Why waould India build transmission line 100s mile long ?
If it runs through Nepal it is going to through Chicken neck.
Mody blocked access to Nepal a few years ago, also the source of the power is run of the river. Unless the power is dirt cheap it doesn't make any sense to go through all that for 500 megawatt of power.

Forget about what happened a few years ago as we are now in 2022.

India absolutely needs BD to help develop W. Bengal and the NE States. Even Modi can be turned around by economic realities on the ground.

Where did you get 100s of miles as you can go well south of the Silguri corridor and it will still be less than 100kms?

Screenshot 2022-06-12 at 08.50.01.png

The power will be cheap and clean and the alternative is to build more fossil fuel capacity in BD with potential pollution and extremely high fuel prices for gas, coal, oil etc.
It won't just be 500MW as this will be the start. BD will eventually import some GWS of cheap and clean hydroelectricity from Nepal and Bhutan through India.

Like I said in my previous post, BD would need to build at least 20GW of power capacity just in the next 8 years and sourcing around 5GW minimum of it from/via India would be balanced way to go about this.

PS - W Bengal in this area does not have any active separatist movements. Most of the problems are in the NE States.

Last edited:

500MW out of the 900MW generated will go to BD. Most of the rest to India and remainder for Nepal.

@BananaRepublicUK

GMR will sell electricity 7.22 bdt per unit. I don't know what will be the transmission cost charged by power grid corporation of India. There will be transmission loss as well.
I predit unit cost should be more than 10 bdt per unit.

GMR will sell electricity 7.22 bdt per unit. I don't know what will be the transmission cost charged by power grid corporation of India. There will be transmission loss as well.
I predit unit cost should be more than 10 bdt per unit.

Good value as it will be a stable price over the long term.

BD also wants clean electricity.

Back
Top Bottom