What's new

UPDATE 1-Lockheed to supply 18 F-16s to Pakistan

fatman17

PDF THINK TANK: CONSULTANT
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
UPDATE 1-Lockheed to supply 18 F-16s to Pakistan

WASHINGTON, Dec 31 (Reuters) - Lockheed Martin Corp LMT.N> was awarded a $498.2 million contract to supply F-16 aircraft to Pakistan, the U.S. Pentagon said on Monday, as Pakistani officials mulled whether to go ahead with a Jan. 8 election after the assassination of opposition leader Benazir Bhutto.

Lockheed will sell 12 F-16C plus 6 F-16D planes to Pakistan under the contract, the Pentagon said in its daily list of defense contract awards. The U.S. Defense Department, which oversees sales of military weapons to foreign governments, did not say how soon the fighter jets would be delivered.

Pakistan has received about $10 billion in U.S. funding since 2001 because Washington views Pakistan as a key ally in President George W. Bush's campaign against terrorism.

Bhutto's death on Thursday wrecked U.S. hopes of a power-sharing deal between her and President Pervez Musharraf, who took power in a 1999 military coup but left the army last month to become a civilian president.

The United States has agreed to sell Pakistan up to 36 new F-16 jets together with refurbished F-16s.

Last month, two senior Democratic U.S. lawmakers urged the suspension of some U.S. military sales, including the sale of F-16 fighter jets, if Pakistani President Pervez Musharraf did not revoke emergency rule.

Lockheed, the Pentagon's No. 1 contractor, won a $144 million contract in 2006 for materials needed to build the F-16s.

What do they mean if Musharraf does not revoke emergency rule? This report was written on the 30th of Dec (printed 31st). But I guess the F-16 deal has only now been finalized with the PAF deciding what it wants for the F-16 C's and D's.

IT SOUNDS GOOD THAT LOCKHEED MARTIN HAS AWARDED 500 MILLION DOLLAR CONTRACT TO BUILD F-16 FOR PAKISTAN.

What do they mean if Musharraf does not revoke emergency rule? This report was written on the 30th of Dec (printed 31st). But I guess the F-16 deal has only now been finalized with the PAF deciding what it wants for the F-16 C's and D's.

the deal was finalised earlier, this is just the bureaucratic process taking its time.

the deal was finalised earlier, this is just the bureaucratic process taking its time.

Forget about the F16 there are not comming to Pakistan in today Daily Jang on the Main Page they mention again they are temparing the agrement which they made 3 years ago they start the problems from the last 2 months ago and at the end of Bush's term in the office the again the same thing which happend last time the embargo again . The reason is what they saying that planes are always ready for the US inspection at any time... ?

Forget the MLUS and Forget the F-16 at all so far they just give 2 planes ...

Try again for the JAS 39 Gripen or For J-10

:devil: Americans

I hope this is the very last f-16s we buy from the future we should buy european like rafale instead I heard france was encouraging pak to buy but we turned down .

Remember that the birds will be delivered in 2 years. Who knows what will the conditions at that time. Nothing can be said abt it.

I have said this before on numerous occassions that US is not a reliable partner and we should be very careful about our deals with them. I have serious doubts about this sale proceeding as planned especially if democrats come to power.

Just wait and see...

I pray US policy makers are not that stupid this time. They have seen the result of their early mistake. Massive investment on missile program by Pakistan after 1989. Result, a whole family of deadly BMs and cruise missiles.

this time us cant do like before becase his own intrest if us maake like before 9\11 will be happen again now us is understand this.

I have said this before on numerous occassions that US is not a reliable partner and we should be very careful about our deals with them. I have serious doubts about this sale proceeding as planned especially if democrats come to power.

From what I can tell, John McCain is the most Pakistan friendly candidate. Let's hope he comes to power :)

Wasn't the PAF still in the process of choosing systems such as radars etc to be fitted to it's jets?

just one example of ECM suite selected in Feb-07 and not included in the original DSCA notification.

$78M for ECM on Pakistani F-16s

Posted 04-Apr-2007

ITT Avionics in Clifton, NJ received a $78 million firm-fixed-price and time and materials contract for "Foreign Military Sales of the AN/ALQ-173 (V) advanced integrated defense electronics warfare to the country of Pakistan." Associated spares, support equipment, training, engineering services, flight test support and data are also being acquired. Solicitations began February 2007, negotiations were complete March 2007, and work will be complete January 2010. The Headquarters Warner Robins Air Logistics Center at Robins Air Force Base, GA issued the contract (FA8523-07-C-).
This electronic warfare system will be used on the F-16 aircraft being procured under separate acquisition by the F-16 program office - but oddly enough, it was not among the many ECM alternatives listed in the official US DSCA announcement. See full DID coverage of this $5.1 billion program. At this time, $39 million has been obligated.

Back
Top Bottom