What's new

Unsung Heroes of Operation Swift Retort

aziqbal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Allot of credit goes to the F16s and JF17 on that night but I wanted to dedicate this thread to the underestimated heroes of the 27th February 2019 better known as the No. 24 Squadron, named the Blinders, the electronic warfare unit of the PAF operating the Dassault Falcon 20F

I remember reading a few years ago that these aircraft are useless and should be scrapped well they proved their worth on that night

PAF operates 3 aircraft serials J-753, J-468 and J-469
Screen Shot 2020-06-02 at 22.16.48.png
J-468
0537190.jpg

and J-469

FALCON_20_J469.jpg

J-469 fuselage and tail also note name "Iqbal" painted below flight deck windows in memory of Squadron Leader Mohammad Iqbal who lost his life for the country during 1965 war. The name is painted on both sides of aircraft fuselage below flight deck windows

The other PAF Dassault Falcon 20F (serial# J-468) has name "Lodhi" painted below flight deck windows on both sides of fuselage in memory of Flight Lieutenant Saifullah Lodhi who also lost his life during 1965 war with Squadron Leader Mohammad Iqbal.

The third aircraft is nicknamed "Mir"

During Operation Swift Retort 1 x DA-20 + 1 x Erieye worked at the rear of the strike package providing AWACS, ELIMT and EW coverage over the battle field

Pakistan won the battle in the electronic spectrum which gave them advantage in battle, DA-20 jammed the Indian radio signals, Abhinandan testified to this saying he never received his orders to withdraw due to his communications jamming

Lets not forget these special mission aircraft, and rightly they are called the Blinders and they lived up to their name

No doubt about it, Dassault Falcon 20F is the most important aircraft in that package which completely jammed Mig-21 and mirage 2000s. They completely blinded them(certainly they live up to their name).
The reason I didn't put Su-30 in the list is because SUs were the only aircraft that attempted to attack the strike package and were the only aircraft that has done some evasive maneuvers, during that intense jamming. They were the only anomaly

No doubt PAF probably never realized the importance of this aircraft until Op swift retort. I am wondering if PAF plans to either upgrade them or buy new line of dedicated EW/ECM/ELNIT aircrafts in near future.
If PAF hadn't realized the importance of DA 20...why would they have bothered to purchase them, train personnel on them, keep them maintained(and the logistics that go along with that) so they would be ready when needed, and then use them in operation swift retort perfectly?

Last edited:
No doubt PAF probably never realized the importance of this aircraft until Op swift retort. I am wondering if PAF plans to either upgrade them or buy new line of dedicated EW/ECM/ELNIT aircrafts in near future.
No PAF realized its importance early on my guess in Arab Israeli War, Air Commodore Sattar Alvi qouted that, they have to face Israeli Fighters in Golan Heights because IAF had set up an E.W. station there which jammed there radars and if he hadn't saw the glass canopy he wouldn't have known about their presence.

They knew it's capability thats why they bought it. The reason they bought few is because the enemy didn't thought its that important, now they do.

Sorry There jammers were located at Mount Herman

Start at 22:00

No doubt about it, Dassault Falcon 20F is the most important aircraft in that package which completely jammed Mig-21 and mirage 2000s. They completely blinded them(certainly they live up to their name).
The reason I didn't put Su-30 in the list is because SUs were the only aircraft that attempted to attack the strike package and were the only aircraft that has done some evasive maneuvers, during that intense jamming. They were the only anomaly
The anomaly was due to their radio communication and data link being jammed by PAF.
And what evasive maneuver you are talking about?
Only one missile was fired at one SU-30 and it hit.
There was nothing else to evade

These guys are the real heroes...theh blinded the indian cut their coms and made is easy for the fighters. They controlled the battle space...mah Allah be pleased with them

Allot of credit goes to the F16s and JF17 on that night but I wanted to dedicate this thread to the underestimated heroes of the 27th February 2019 better known as the No. 24 Squadron, named the Blinders, the electronic warfare unit of the PAF operating the Dassault Falcon 20F

I remember reading a few years ago that these aircraft are useless and should be scrapped well they proved their worth on that night

PAF operates 3 aircraft serials J-753, J-468 and J-469View attachment 637834 J-468
View attachment 637836

and J-469

View attachment 637837

J-469 fuselage and tail also note name "Iqbal" painted below flight deck windows in memory of Squadron Leader Mohammad Iqbal who lost his life for the country during 1965 war. The name is painted on both sides of aircraft fuselage below flight deck windows

The other PAF Dassault Falcon 20F (serial# J-468) has name "Lodhi" painted below flight deck windows on both sides of fuselage in memory of Flight Lieutenant Saifullah Lodhi who also lost his life during 1965 war with Squadron Leader Mohammad Iqbal.

The third aircraft is nicknamed "Mir"

During Operation Swift Retort 1 x DA-20 + 1 x Erieye worked at the rear of the strike package providing AWACS, ELIMT and EW coverage over the battle field

Pakistan won the battle in the electronic spectrum which gave them advantage in battle, DA-20 jammed the Indian radio signals, Abhinandan testified to this saying he never received his orders to withdraw due to his communications jamming

Lets not forget these special mission aircraft, and rightly they are called the Blinders and they lived up to their name

What if JF-17 and F-16 with their jammer pods did all the jamming but PAF is hiding its true capability by giving all the credit to DA-20?

Let's publish all the arcane tricks and less known facts just so we can show the world how much we know and sell ourselves down the river to our adversaries.
SMH.
To be fair, the jamming techniques are widely known among the EM and Communications engineering community.
What is the true secret is the performance of the systems on board in terms of emitted power, jamming beam capability along with supported frequencies and how fast it can hop between them.
But given the misplaying bravado of most Pakistanis, suni sunais are a true danger.

In addendum: The actual kit on board these aircraft is not as sophisticated in some ways as that on even the latest EA-6B but both the lack of training and performance of enemy systems is what makes them effective.

To be fair, the jamming techniques are widely known among the EM and Communications engineering community.
What is the true secret is the performance of the systems on board in terms of emitted power, jamming beam capability along with supported frequencies and how fast it can hop between them.
But given the misplaying bravado of most Pakistanis, suni sunais are a true danger.

In addendum: The actual kit on board these aircraft is not as sophisticated in some ways as that on even the latest EA-6B but both the lack of training and performance of enemy systems is what makes them effective.
Yep. The bigger issue I think are the suppliers of the ELINT/ECM/EA equipment, which the PAF will want to keep on the down-low so as to not lose them to US/Indian pressure. But in the long-run, I guess they'll want to design this stuff on their own (by sourcing TRMs directly, but doing the architecture, integration, software, etc in Pakistan).

Yep. The bigger issue I think are the suppliers of the ELINT/ECM/EA equipment, which the PAF will want to keep on the down-low so as to not lose them to US/Indian pressure. But in the long-run, I guess they'll want to design this stuff on their own (by sourcing TRMs directly, but doing the architecture, integration, software, etc in Pakistan).
An entire network of people trying to achieve this(and other Restricted ECCN items) were caught in a sting operation in the US.

Kindly stop posting about Swift Retort ,It is started to look like a child who has score 1st time A .It was a team effort no denial and i expect that every one should be mature enough to refrain from technical details in so much debt as like many I happens to know as well what happened but nationalism demands to keep mouth shut also it is saying that when Sun rises every one sees the light .

Back
Top Bottom