What's new

Universities > Top 500 (most recent) by country

@Guynextdoor
Are yaar...bamboo tho abi bhi saath rakhti hai. No change in policy at all. I keep telling her...look mom I didn't turn out that bad, good job, great company...no effect...she refuses to believe me n won't hesitate to put me through all that again...

man same here
but cant blame our moms(blame indian culture to beat the hell out of childrens :rofl:)

exam fail tho
master ji se mar kaho ,parents se mar kaho :sniper: :cry:

in india too much emphasis is given on rot memory , in india and orient countries we hardly learn by practical examples in exams of IIT too half of the guys succeed by mugging up just everything, the engeenering textbooks we have are nowhere related to the jobs which we will be doing, the textbooks are obsolete, and CBSE too goes ahead with easing the syllabus nobody wants to learn an easy sylabbus which is dry and boring, in projects too american universities encourage their students to conduct reaserch on them whereas here we have no other option but too copy it from internet, universities of asia no doubt produce brilliant guys but the geniuses we produce here in india and china are far less considering the number of universities and students we have

Actually if that is the case, then American would be the best in these competitions. In addition to regular high school classes, almost all the high school offer Advanced Placement courses which basically are college classes for students who are academically motivated. Those courses are not offered in schools in China, I am not sure about India. For example I finished AP Calculus BC during my sophomore years in high school, which I would have to wait until my freshman year in college to study if I was in China.
Advanced Placement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The training for those Olympiad is focused around the technical skill of problem solving rather than knowledge, which there is not much to learned. It is either you get it or you don't. I am sure in China, the training period would not be that long for the international Olympiad, because the finalists of those team are selected from top scores of the national Olympiad that happens not too long before the international one. There is not official training for the national competition but rather upon to individual school's program.

The IMO is not something that you can perform well in by memorizing, complete understanding of every subject and a lot of creativity are needed to solve these problems. Many math PHD's will not be able to solve the problems on the IMO.

Also the scores for the kids in this video

http://www.imo-official.org/team_r.aspx?code=USA&year=2006

Last edited by a moderator:
The IMO is not something that you can perform well in by memorizing, complete understanding of every subject and a lot of creativity are needed to solve these problems. Many math PHD's will not be able to solve the problems on the IMO.

Yes because by the time you reach a PhD level in advance maths, your research field will have narrowed so much that you probably forget to add or subtract (exaggeration...)

As much as I love pulling the leg of some of these Chinese and Indian kids in this chat room. I firmly belive the worlds only hope is that countries like China, Indian and Middle East become economically and intellectually strong. Can you imagine what the world would be like if China, India and the Middle East had been able to match the west in discoveries, inventions and knowledge for the last century. For ever invention or discovery that has come out of those countries in the last century a 1000 has come from the west.

you forgot to mention that every top graduate from these countries are queing in immigration line outside US embassy the moment they are awarded their degrees.

Ok, lets start with economics.

The worlds GDP is 70.29 Trillion Dollars
Population: 6,830,586,985

India GDP is $3.65 Trillion
Population: 1,173,108,018

China GDP is $8.789 trillion
Population: 1,330,141,295

Thats roughly 2.5 billion people thats more then a third of the earths population with only 13 billion GDP out of 70 Trillion World GDP

Of the top 500 universties in the world according to China not the USA. India and China contain only 9 of them.

How did this answer me questioning your statement on us being intellectually weak!? Whats the relation between GDP figures and intellectualism?

India had around 20% of world's GDP at one point of time but is considerably lower now!

So are you suggesting that the intellectual quotient of Indians, Chinese and Middle-easteners varied throughout the centuries directly in relationship to thier GDP!? :azn:

I'm beginning to doubt that you even know what you mean when you talk about intellectualism!

I have no idea WTF these ratings are. According to the list University of Dhaka is better than Georgia Tech and IIIT Hyderabad (those are 3 I's) is better than IIT Madras (2 I's- there is a HUGE difference between Indian Institute of Tech & Indian Institute of Information Tech). To get to IIT comp science you should have Rank 1-200 in the entrance exam of 200,000 and typically the poeple who opt for IIITs are ranks 3000-4000 etc. Man what is this list? What's top coder?

Guynextdoor,

IITs are Not Universities but Colleges. So obviously they will not come up in the list of top Universities!

What conclusions would you draw from the above?
That the china and india despite being Economic power do not spend money on education and their universities are still not world class.

I would say its more correct to say that half of the worlds people live in countries that are intellectually weak. Other day I went to a doctor here that was from Pakistan. He told me when he went to school he did not have books, just a slate, they wrote down every thing on the slate and memorized it, later he went to more school in Pakistan and became an anesthesiologist the emigrated to the UK and then emigrated to the USA and became MD Medical Doctor. To me that is incredible, I have nothing but respect for that mans intelligence and drive.

I too was once treated by one fine Pakistani doctor in UK but I had mistook him to be some North Indian fella (as he was speaking in Hindi that I struggle slightly to speak in) until sometime later! And to my wife's dismay/shock, the good doc felt my Hindi was pretty good! :-)

Getting back to the topic, there are a huge number of Pakistani/Indian/Chinese doctors and engineers in US/UK. You feel all these are intelligent but not the ones who are back in their countries! Is this what you are trying to suggest? Pardon me for my repeated questioning, but I am having a really hard time to understand where you are coming from. Could you be a little more clear with your ideas?

Last edited:
I too was once treated by one fine Pakistani doctor in UK but I had mistook him to be some North Indian fella (as he was speaking in Hindi that I struggle slightly to speak in) until sometime later! And to my wife's dismay/shock, the good doc felt my Hindi was pretty good! :-)

Getting back to the topic, there are a huge number of Pakistani/Indian/Chinese doctors and engineers in US/UK. You feel all these are intelligent but not the ones who are back in their countries! Is this what you are trying to suggest? Pardon me for my repeated questioning, but I am having a really hard time to understand where you are coming from. Could you be a little more clear with your ideas?

There are no question in my mind that the people in Pakistan, India and China are for the most part as Intelligent as those that emigrate. Most just lack opportunity and many are so indoctrinated by their society and madgrassa schools even if they have the intelligence they cant change or take advantage of opportunties. Thats true to one extent or the other everywhere.

There are no question in my mind that the people in Pakistan, India and China are for the most part as Intelligent as those that emigrate. Most just lack opportunity and many are so indoctrinated by their society and madgrassa schools even if they have the intelligence they cant change or take advantage of opportunties. Thats true to one extent or the other everywhere.
Indoctrination is really not a problem with India & China. A massive spread of higher educational facilities is what is needed. It's happening...on it's own pace. We've brought in Right to Education for all Children in India as a constitutional right, Even top schools now have to keep a % of their seats reserved for poor people, We're now reviving an aincient university (Nalanda), one of the greatest learning centre on the planet for thosands of years with an endowment of USD 1 B and led by nobel laureates. For us having 'great' places to study was not the problem but the number of people who get that opportunity if they merit it. This will get better but will take time.

There were 2 Egyptian universities among top 500 in the previous rank. :angry:

Indoctrination is really not a problem with India & China. A massive spread of higher educational facilities is what is needed. It's happening...on it's own pace. We've brought in Right to Education for all Children in India as a constitutional right, Even top schools now have to keep a % of their seats reserved for poor people, We're now reviving an aincient university (Nalanda), one of the greatest learning centre on the planet for thosands of years with an endowment of USD 1 B and led by nobel laureates. For us having 'great' places to study was not the problem but the number of people who get that opportunity if they merit it. This will get better but will take time.

Indoctrination is allways a problem and we all are indoctrinated one way or the other, class, cast system, religion, its just how much it interferes with with progress.

Back
Top Bottom