What's new

Universities > Top 500 (most recent) by country

International Physics Olympiad - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The International Physics Olympiad (IPhO) is an annual physics competition for high school students
. :woot::rofl::coffee: When will you graduate from highschool.

I can assure you the physics and maths olympiads aren't a joke. They will typically go on to become the big dons. In the US you have an automatic ticket to MIT...in India, it'l indicate that you at least have the ability to compete well for IIT..

Hmm...I think there should be better measures than this.

Agree, this contest has nothing to do with how good the university is, because for most of the contestants, the skill they have are not learned from university, but rather on their own.

International Physics Olympiad - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The International Physics Olympiad (IPhO) is an annual physics competition for high school students
. :woot::rofl::coffee: When will you graduate from highschool.

You do realize that the stuff tested is COLLEGE LEVEL PHYSICS right? and most of these high school kids train for this competition by taking college classes.

All of the members of the USA high school Physics team trained at MIT

I have no idea WTF these ratings are. According to the list University of Dhaka is better than Georgia Tech and IIIT Hyderabad (those are 3 I's) is better than IIT Madras (2 I's- there is a HUGE difference between Indian Institute of Tech & Indian Institute of Information Tech). To get to IIT comp science you should have Rank 1-200 in the entrance exam of 200,000 and typically the poeple who opt for IIITs are ranks 3000-4000 etc. Man what is this list? What's top coder?

Top coder, is a NONSTOP computer programming competition. Companies take their TOUGHEST IT problems and just dump them on topcoder with a BIG CASH REWARD.

Anybody that thinks that they can solve the problem submits their own solution.

Look at some of the profiles for top competitors

TopCoder Member Profile

Total Earnings: $2,756.40

TopCoder Member Profile

Total Earnings: $1,969.00

TopCoder Member Profile

Total Earnings: $5,247.00

Actually, my closest friend went to International Math Olympiad twice and got a silver there both times.

He puts down the chinese success to culture and training.

Whereas the indian authorities give 1 month of training to its participating students, the chinese give 2 years or more of preparation to promising candidates.

The Indian success in the Physics Olympiad is explained by overlap of syllabus and problem styles with the JEE exam for IIT entrance. the training is only of one month even for this.

Actually, my closest friend went to International Math Olympiad twice and got a silver there both times.

Whereas the indian authorities give 1 month of training to its participating students, the chinese give 2 years or more of preparation to promising candidates.

The Indian success in the Physics Olympiad is explained by overlap of syllabus and problem styles with the JEE exam for IIT entrance. the training is only of one month even for this.

The IMO sends the 6 BEST mathematicians under the ago of 20. Pretty much everybody that gets sent had their life revolving around mathematics, they are always training.

This is a really neat graph Chauism. Thanks
percent-world-gdp-1500.jpg

The IMO sends the 6 BEST mathematicians under the ago of 20. Pretty much everybody that gets sent had their life revolving around mathematics, they are always training.

training for that particular exam matters a lot because it has a well defined syllabus and particular pattern of problems. it makes a big difference whether people are trained for 1 month or 2 years for an exam.

the official indian math syllabus for pre college does not match the IMO syllabus at all. i know a lot of people who were exceptional at math chose to go to IPhO and IChO because the syllabus gap was too big and these people mainly were studying for the JEE exam.

you'd be correct in saying that many talented people in india do not consider math as a career option. neither is basic science very popular. even the smartest people want to make money in technology or management.

That's also the difference between the Asians and the West. When I flunked... (n I used to do that in just about every exam I've ever written :smokin:), my mom would go for the broomstick...to us not doing well means you haven't worked hard enuf (which I can assure you completely explains my flunking so consistently :lol:). Americans believe in IQ n stuff. Cracking JEE to us means 3 years, 14 hrs etc. etc. n not intelligence or IQ. I think the asian systems, though flawed, are better. :azn:

training for that particular exam matters a lot because it has a well defined syllabus and particular pattern of problems. it makes a big difference whether people are trained for 1 month or 2 years for an exam.

the official indian math syllabus for pre college does not match the IMO syllabus at all. i know a lot of people who were exceptional at math chose to go to IPhO and IChO because the syllabus gap was too big and these people mainly were studying for the JEE exam.

you'd be correct in saying that many talented people in india do not consider math as a career option. neither is basic science very popular. even the smartest people want to make money in technology or management.
Point. People won't compromise their JEE options for the Olympiad (no matter how compelling). The IIT Tag has immedeate benifits, plus, we always perferred the 'engineering' tag to 'mathematicians' or 'physics' tag. Consequently, we aren't exactly strong fundamental researchers in these fields either.

@Guynextdoor
That's also the difference between the Asians and the West. When I flunked... (n I used to do that in just about every exam I've ever written :smokin: ), my mom would go for the broomstick...to us not doing well means you haven't worked hard enuf (which I can assure you completely explains my flunking so consistently :lol: ). Americans believe in IQ n stuff. Cracking JEE to us means 3 years, 14 hrs etc. etc. n not intelligence or IQ. I think the asian systems, though flawed, are better. :azn:

jab pade lage bamboo tab uchala lage budhi

when u start getting beating ur brain automatically starts workin :rofl:

This is a very important point and something that people don't think about when they see Chinese success in things like the Olympiad or the actual summer Olympics.

All these international participants and training program receive significant government funds and oversight. They are able to start with a huge talent pool (elementary school selections) and scientifically eliminate candidate to a hand of kids. These kids are then subsidized and undergo very specific training for their field under Chinese + hired international coaches.

The secret to chinese success is not inherent talent (everyone has that) but rather a mindset to go about things methodically and scientifically.

That's sorta why I believe in the future of China :china:

Most of the people that compete are child prodigies, they start university at age 14-16, by the time they are 20 they have already covered everything on the IMO syllabus.

AN ordinary student that you are talking about does not compete in the IMO.

@Guynextdoor

jab pade lage bamboo tab uchala lage budhi

when u start getting beating ur brain automatically starts workin :rofl:
Are yaar...bamboo tho abi bhi saath rakhti hai. No change in policy at all. I keep telling her...look mom I didn't turn out that bad, good job, great company...no effect...she refuses to believe me n won't hesitate to put me through all that again...:lol:

Actually if that is the case, then American would be the best in these competitions. In addition to regular high school classes, almost all the high school offer Advanced Placement courses which basically are college classes for students who are academically motivated. Those courses are not offered in schools in China, I am not sure about India. For example I finished AP Calculus BC during my sophomore years in high school, which I would have to wait until my freshman year in college to study if I was in China.
Advanced Placement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The training for those Olympiad is focused around the technical skill of problem solving rather than knowledge, which there is not much to learned. It is either you get it or you don't. I am sure in China, the training period would not be that long for the international Olympiad, because the finalists of those team are selected from top scores of the national Olympiad that happens not too long before the international one. There is not official training for the national competition but rather upon to individual school's program.

Back
Top Bottom