United Arab Emirates Barakah nuclear power plant is 65% complete

Arabian Stallion

Reaction score
Country
Saudi Arabia
Barakah nuclear power plant is 65% complete

Staff Report/Abu Dhabi
Filed on June 26, 2016

The facility is expected to deliver up to a quarter of the UAE's electricity needs

The construction of the UAE nuclear power plant at Barakah is progressing well, with unit no one being more than 88 per cent complete.

Unit two is 72 per cent complete, unit three is 50 per cent complete and unit four is 31 per cent complete. Overall, construction of units one to four is now more than 65 per cent complete.

All four units will deliver safe, clean, reliable and efficient nuclear energy to the UAE grid, pending regulatory reviews and licensing.

The construction of the Barakah Nuclear Energy Plant commenced in 2012 and all four nuclear reactors will be operational in 2020.

At its full operational capacity, the facility will deliver up to a quarter of the UAE's electricity needs and save up to 12 million tonnes in carbon emissions every year.

Meanwhile, the Emirates Nuclear Energy Corporation (Enec) and its operating subsidiary, Nawah Energy Company (Nawah), commemorated the move to its new headquarters in Masdar City with an inaugural ceremony attended by Engr Mohamed Al Hammadi, CEO of Enec.

Al Hammadi said: "Since its inception, the Enec has been delivering the UAE's first nuclear energy plant safely and steadily. We continue to move closer to providing the UAE with clean and sustainable energy, saving up to 12 million tonnes in carbon emissions every year."

Eng Mohammed Sahoo Al Suwaidi, acting CEO of Nawah, said: "As the recently established operating subsidiary for the UAE peaceful nuclear energy programme, Nawah will continue to work closely with Enec, building on the momentum already laid for operational readiness of the Barakah nuclear energy plant. Having our established headquarters with Enec in Masdar City strengthens our alliance and shared goal to provide the UAE's electricity needs with sustainable nuclear energy."

Mohamed Jameel Al Ramahi, CEO of Masdar, said: "As a hub for energy, research and clean-tech companies, Masdar City is delighted to host the Emirates Nuclear Energy Corporation, providing a strong base to support its strategic mandate to deliver safe, secure and reliable energy to the UAE as part of a diversified energy mix, and to further the UAE's economic diversification. The Enec joins a growing community of public, private and non-profit organisations at Masdar City, and its substantial workforce will contribute to the life and dynamism of the city greatly."

- haseeb@khaleejtimes.com

http://www.khaleejtimes.com/business/infrastructure/barakah-nuclear-power-plant-is-65-complete

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barakah_nuclear_power_plant

Are these indigenously developed reactors or are built with foreign assistance?

Are these indigenously developed reactors or are built with foreign assistance?

It is a joint project between Emirates Nuclear Energy Cooperation (ENEC) and Korea Electric Power Cooperation (KEPCO). Read the article and the link I posted.

Well done UAE

Indeed. KSA for instance is planning to built 16 nuclear power plants in the next 20 years. We have signed several deals with numerous countries on this front from China, South Korea, France to Russia etc. A few dozen of those nuclear power plants are expected to be built in less than a decade. I am sure that other GCC and Arab countries will eventually follow suit as nuclear energy will be an important source of energy along with renewables such as solar and wind.

Currently most of the electricity generation derives from fossils (oil and natural gas) and steam. One should not forget that KSA is one of the world's largest electricity consumers in the world (top 20 or 15 if I recall correctly) so investing in other energy sources is in the need of the hour. This will also lower the carbon dioxide emissions and equally as important (if not more) ensure a bigger share of oil and gas export.

Last edited:
It is a joint project between Emirates Nuclear Energy Cooperation (ENEC) and Korea Electric Power Cooperation (KEPCO). Read the article and the link I posted.

Indeed. KSA for instance is planning to built 16 nuclear power plants in the next 20 years. We have signed several deals with numerous countries on this front from China, South Korea, France, Russia etc. A few dozen of them are expected to be built in less than a decade. I am sure that other GCC and Arab countries will eventually follow as nuclear energy will be an important source of energy along with renewables such as solar and wind.

Currently most of the electricity generation derives from fossils (oil and natural gas) and steam. One should not forget that KSA is one of the world's largest electricity consumers in the world (top 20 or 15 if I recall correctly) so investing in other energy sources is in the need of the hour.
I was unable to open the link on my phone. But thank you!

If Pakistan was NSG member it could manufacture and export several sub components and parts for this reactor as well as human capital expertise.

Enjoy ! :smart:

Password Vimeo video : AdamaBattlestar

ENEC Program (Emirates Nuclear Energy Corporation)

Formation and training with KEPCO (Korea Electric Power Cooperation)

KEPCO's Nuclear Program

If Pakistan was NSG member it could manufacture and export several sub components and parts for this reactor as well as human capital expertise.

I am quite sure that, at least in the case of KSA, cooperation (covertly) will occur regardless. After all it has already taken place in the past. Qualified human capital should neither be a problem. Anyway KSA has done well in diversifying their partners in this regard as nuclear-related deals have been signed with a large number of countries with expertise on this front. Likewise, if we normalized relations with neighboring Israel, I would have no problems working with them at all either.

A lot of things are going on behind the scenes that never reach the news. Especially in KSA as you know well.

In a perfect world every country would work together on the energy front. In particular nuclear.

Enjoy ! :smart:

Password Vimeo video : AdamaBattlestar

ENEC Program (Emirates Nuclear Energy Corporation)

Formation and training with KEPCO (Korea Electric Power Cooperation)

KEPCO's Nuclear Program

:agree:

UAE nuclear energy plant Barakah 70% complete

56046-455151.jpg

The UAE's Barakah nuclear plant is 70% complete.​

Published: 25 September 2016 - 6 a.m.
By: Neha Bhatia
Emirates Nuclear Energy Corporation (ENEC) announced that construction works for the Barakah Nuclear Power Plant are 70% complete.

Mohamed Al Hammadi, the CEO of ENEC, outlined the project's progress.

"We at ENEC are proud of the progress we have made in the development of the UAE Peaceful Nuclear Energy Program," he continued.

"All four units at Barakah are some 70% complete, [which is] an amazing achievement considering that we started construction a mere four years ago.

"Most recently, we installed Unit 3’s Reactor Vessel, completed the construction of the concrete dome for the Unit 2 Reactor Containment Building, and are progressing steadily through the testing and commissioning phase at Unit 1, where the structural integrity and integrated leak tests were recently completed," Al Hammadi added, according to WAM.

The Barakah project is due for full completion by 2020, with construction on the project having commenced in 2012.

http://www.arabianindustry.com/cons...ear-energy-plant-barakah-70-complete-5492539/

Back
Top Bottom