What's new

UK unemployment figures for different minorities (Pakistani/Indian/Bengali) pre and post COVID out.

waz

ADMINISTRATOR
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Some interesting data for different ethnic groups pre and during COVID.

Screen Shot 2021-04-12 at 14.59.17.png

In terms of groups black folk do the worst, then it's Pakistanis, Bengalis with Indians coming out tops.

During Covid Indians got hit quite hard, I'm not sure why that is considering not that many work in the gig economy, which was disproportionally affected by Covid.
Pakistanis didn't see much change as many are self-employed.
Black folks saw their percentage rise even higher to quite alarming levels.

Screen Shot 2021-04-12 at 15.00.53.png

Black people have the highest rate of unemployment across all age ranges.
Pakistanis have a big issue with youth unemployment, but it levels out with the more successful Indian and white groups at higher ages i.e. 25 and above.

Screen Shot 2021-04-12 at 15.01.53.png

Pakistani and Bengali females have the highest rate, which seems to indicate we still have this cultural angle i.e. stay at home mums.

Taken from;

View attachment 733422

In terms of groups black folk do the worst, then it's Pakistanis, Bengalis with Indians coming out tops.

During Covid Indians got hit quite hard, I'm not sure why that is considering not that many work in the gig economy, which was disproportionally affected by Covid.

View attachment 733424

Pakistanis have a big issue with youth unemployment, but it levels out with the more successful Indian and white groups at higher ages i.e. 25 and above.

View attachment 733425

Pakistani and Bengali females have the highest rate, which seems to indicate we still have this cultural angle i.e. stay at home mums.

Taken from;

I understand the unemployment in Pakistani youths, most likely they tend to get money from their parents well into their twenties. So do not really have pressure to go out and find work.

What I cannot understand is how the Black community is so far behind the others. Racism cannot be the only reason - there has to be more otherwise all minority figures should and would be similar.

I understand the unemployment in Pakistani youths, most likely they tend to get money from their parents well into their twenties. So do not really have pressure to go out and find work.

What I cannot understand is how the Black community is so far behind the others. Racism cannot be the only reason - there has to be more otherwise all minority figures should and would be similar.
Could be education i remember a news headline about how thr black youngsters are falling behind and what can be done to change it. Asians tend to either be pushed into getting a good education and also have family business to fall back on which helps.

They dont have the clannish behaviour of many south asians. Clannish behaviour of many south asians provides them with a safeguard in terms of employment and finances. But for south asians it comes at the cost of indituality and individual pursuit of their interests. Whereas whites in brits enjoy both an extreme freedom of individuality and also low bad consequences that can come from it.

View attachment 733422

View attachment 733424

View attachment 733425

Taken from;

In table 1, the absolute number of unemployed Pakistanis goes down by 3000 (40k to 37k), but the percentage goes up by 2%?

View attachment 733422

View attachment 733424

View attachment 733425

Taken from;

1.8 to7.4 am i reading that right dont know what that could be im trying to think why such a jump

View attachment 733422

In terms of absoulte numbers - clearly indians have done the worst. increasing by 53,000. This is followed by blacks at 39,000 and mixed at 17,000 and bangladeshis at 1,000 and pakistanis at -3,000. All those buttlicking by priti and rishi barely helps indians.
In table 1, the absolute number of unemployed Pakistanis goes down by 3000 (40k to 37k), but the percentage goes up by 2%?

Maybe the number of people seeking employment decreased. Unemployment is measured on basis of those willing to work but cannot find work.

Could be education i remember a news headline about how thr black youngsters are falling behind and what can be done to change it. Asians tend to either be pushed into getting a good education and also have family business to fall back on which helps.
The exposure to education is same for everyone in the UK, I remember to have a good number of black students when I was in school, even there we could tell who is going to make it and who is going to be living the street life. While Asians do tend to have small family business to fall back on that is not a majority.

The majority relief comes in the way of family support. Single parent household is a big problem for black communities not only are they poorer than say white single parent household (thanks to generational wealth) they assume zero communal responsibility to support single parent.

They dont have the clannish behaviour of many south asians. Clannish behaviour of many south asians provides them with a safeguard in terms of employment and finances. But for south asians it comes at the cost of indituality and individual pursuit of their interests. Whereas whites in brits enjoy both an extreme freedom of individuality and also low bad consequences that can come from it.
I think they all have clannish behaviour within their household/families. Its how they behave with the other parts of their communities that is the issue (in my opinion).

Bangladeshis are very receptive to other Bangladeshis.
Pakistanis are very receptive on the outside, internally they might be a bit coy but will not show.
Indians are receptive as long as they other Indian is of their social standing otherwise they are like Pakistani's receptive on the outside but will not go overboard.

The Africans are very tribal, there was a guy in our school who was apparently the son of some tribal chief and he was a right arse when dealing with others of his skin colour/ethnicity.

You are spot on about the individuality.

With the black community there are a few social issues.
First the pull of gang culture is far stronger in black youth than it is with other groups. The silver lining is that they tend to grow out of it when they hit their early 20's, but by then a great deal of damage has been done.
The second is the highest percentage of single parent households out of any group.

• 18.9% of Black households were made up of a single parent with dependent children, the highest percentage out of all ethnic groups for this type of household; the lowest percentage was found among Asian households, at 5.7%

There are other interesting stats in the above link as well.

Absent fathers have a deep negative impact on children. With the male role model missing, youth particularly young men latch on to older males within their social networks, which very often are not the best people to follow.

This all being said our black community does not have the deep rooted issues the African American community is beset with.

In UK there are more Pakistanis than Indians?

No there are more Indians overall i.e. Hindus, Sikhs and Muslims. But the population is a great deal older than the Pakistani one.
1.8 to7.4 am i reading that right dont know what that could be im trying to think why such a jump

Yes, it's strange as Covid is put up as an explanation. But then most Indians work in stable employment, as opposed to the Covid hit gig economy.
However new arrived Indian folk do tend to work in the gig sector, and established work is more a trait of communities who came in the 60''s and 70's.

With the black community there are a few social issues.
First the pull of gang culture is far stronger in black youth than it is with other groups. The silver lining is that they tend to grow out of it when they hit their early 20's, but by then a great deal of damage has been done.
The second is the highest percentage of single parent households out of any group.

• 18.9% of Black households were made up of a single parent with dependent children, the highest percentage out of all ethnic groups for this type of household; the lowest percentage was found among Asian households, at 5.7%

There are other interesting stats in the above link as well.

Absent fathers have a deep negative impact on children. With the male role model missing, youth particularly young men latch on to older males within their social networks, which very often are not the best people to follow.

This all being said our black community does not have the deep rooted issues the African American community is beset with.

No there are more Indians overall i.e. Hindus, Sikhs and Muslims. But the population is a great deal older than the Pakistani one.

Yes, it's strange as Covid is put up as an explanation. But then most Indians work in stable employment, as opposed to the Covid hit gig economy.
However new arrived Indian folk do tend to work in the gig sector, and established work is more a trait of communities who came in the 60''s and 70's.
You are spot on, however I am taken aback by the current trend where our UK African community is falling hand over heels trying to mimic issues faced by African Americans. As if they are even remotely similar. Therein lies the problem which probably my kids will have to put up with when they are my age. All the progress of the last few decades lost over BLM & CO's antics.

Most Indians are well established some I know came here decades before my parents came here so have had a head start. Newer migrants are in the same boat as Pakistani or Bangladeshi migrants.

You are spot on, however I am taken aback by the current trend where our UK African community is falling hand over heels trying to mimic issues faced by African Americans. As if they are even remotely similar. Therein lies the problem which probably my kids will have to put up with when they are my age. All the progress of the last few decades lost over BLM & CO's antics.

Most Indians are well established some I know came here decades before my parents came here so have had a head start. Newer migrants are in the same boat as Pakistani or Bangladeshi migrants.

Yes sadly you are right. Our own African community was a model community, but we've started to see issues of youth criminality creep in. Although it's still not as problematic i.e. African youth still do well at school, and there's stark differences. For example Ghanian children are lovely and achieve highly. Nigerian background children are very black and white i.e. many do very well, many fall by the wayside.
Regarding timelines, many Pakistanis came here in the early 50's through their war service, my grandfather did. Location however did decide how the communities faired i.e. most Indians are settled in greater London, so do benefit from the southern economic dividend. Our community is mostly Northern and Midlands based, which has suffered economically over the years.

Yes sadly you are right. Our own African community was a model community, but we've started to see issues of youth criminality creep in. Although it's still not as problematic i.e. African youth still do well at school, and there's stark differences. For example Ghanian children are lovely and achieve highly. Nigerian background children are very black and white i.e. many do very well, many fall by the wayside.
Regarding timelines, many Pakistanis came here in the early 50's through their war service, my grandfather did. Location however did decide how the communities faired i.e. most Indians are settled in greater London, so do benefit from the southern economic dividend. Our community is mostly Northern and Midlands based, which has suffered economically over the years.
Ghanaians and Ugandans are very tight with their families, I agree about Nigerians, I think Nigerians and Jamaicans are the biggest contributing factor to the wider African community.

I have so far not come across any Pakistani Migrants from the 50's in the South where I live, I never thought along the lines of areas, my family settled in the South so yeah now thinking about it the main Pakistani communities in the midlands have struggled due to the London centric and Southward imbalance of economy. This will add to the imbalance and it will remain so because the economy is still and even in the future will be London Centric.

Back
Top Bottom