What's new

Featured UAE owned company wins German army rifle competition

Philip the Arab

Reaction score
Country
Jordan
The company CG Haenel won the German army rifle competition beating out HK. The rifle is based off of the Caracal 816 which was designed by the the same designers of the HK416. The company is owned by Tawazun which also owns Caracal.

1600176688742.png

The total deal is probably worth in the region of 245 million euros (over $290 million) and will see the procurement of some 120,000 new firearms.

The German government has chosen arms manufacturer Haenel, which is owned by a company in Abu Dhabi, to make assault rifles for the military, sidelining long-time supplier Heckler & Koch.

Germany’s Defense Ministry said in a statement Tuesday that C.G. Haenel GmbH, based in the central German town of Suhl, came out top in the tender, though the 250 million-euro ($300 million) contract deal is subject to legal challenges.

Haenel is owned by Abu Dhabi-based Caracal International, which in turn is part of the United Arab Emirates state conglomerate EDGE Group.

Founded in 1840, Haenel was one of many German arms manufacturers to benefit from the country’s remilitarization under the Nazis. Toward the end of World War II it developed the StG 44 assault rifle, considered a major influence for the AK-47.

If the contract is approved by Parliament, Haenel will supply 120,000 rifles to the German military to replace the Heckler & Koch G36, which has suffered from overheating problems.

The company CG Haenel won the German army rifle competition beating out HK. The rifle is based off of the Caracal 816 which was designed by the the same designers of the HK416. The company is owned by Tawazun which also owns Caracal.

View attachment 670096

The total deal is probably worth in the region of 245 million euros (over $290 million) and will see the procurement of some 120,000 new firearms.

Beautiful looking rifle. I just wish Pakistan Army completes its decision and procures a next generation rifle we still stuck with the outdated HK G2. :(

Beautiful looking rifle. I just wish Pakistan Army completes its decision and procures a next generation rifle we still stuck with the outdated HK G2. :(
I'm not sure that is the top priority for PA to replace rifles is it?

I'm not sure that is the top priority for PA to replace rifles is it?

Not at the moment, they side lined it for now due to other projects. Basically, the WoT really did a damage to the economy and our finances. I think it’ll be 5 years from now before it’s brought up again.

@Gomig-21
Thought this would interest you.

Love it. Thought of you immediately when I saw it on Twitter this morning.

I wonder if those 120k units are all destined to a single customer....or if it'll be broken up to meet several orders? In other words, is it going to equip an entire army? 120k rifles could equip around 5 or 6 infantry divisions if I'm not mistaken.

The other thing that really impresses me is how motivated and on the ball the UAE 🇦🇪 is with its military procurement and especially its ToT endeavors. They really know how to go about it and they're doing it. Really impressive.

Love it. Thought of you immediately when I saw it on Twitter this morning.

I wonder if those 120k units are all destined to a single customer....or if it'll be broken up to meet several orders? In other words, is it going to equip an entire army? 120k rifles could equip around 5 or 6 infantry divisions if I'm not mistaken.

The other thing that really impresses me is how motivated and on the ball the UAE 🇦🇪 is with its military procurement and especially its ToT endeavors. They really know how to go about it and they're doing it. Really impressive.
All I know is that a lot of parts will be imported from the UAE because the German company can't fill the large order by itself which contributes to the UAE economy and defence industry. Think of it as using a German company as a partner to fill the German tender. This rifle also fills the German police requirements as well and has been issued for a few years now. Also, the Indian order will be processed soon as well from news.

Semi auto version for German police.

1600185974558.png

Nice, I like the color of that one too. You don't see the vests with the family jewels protective pad like that very often. One thing to stop a bullet headed for your upper torso, but you also need to protect the old family jewels also, equally as important! :D

Reading a little more into this and it sounds like the 120K rifles are all going to the German army. That's how you do it, you pick the one you like best, fork out the cash and have them ordered in one large batch. Pretty sharp looking weapon and I guess the barrel comes in 4 different lengths, too.

Eh-UiCqXcA01hWN

Eh-UhscWsAQTmHc

@Gomig-21 It isn’t expensive for Egypt’s re-armament program, I’m thinking about
544D3816-91A3-45AE-9455-563A7AF114F2.jpeg
8D899B75-0CDB-44FC-AC52-F4771E738CC8.jpeg

+
753F6BDD-B8E7-4EFE-A8F6-546B4F7DF2AD.png

For 300,000 troops by 2026.
Egypt should adapt the doctrine of the least losses, greatest casualties inflected on enemy troops.
My estimates are around 1.3 billion euros for such a modernization program. Get funds by selling the mountains of AKMs we have to LNA or any other groups or countries.

@Gomig-21 It isn’t expensive for Egypt’s re-armament program, I’m thinking about
View attachment 670256View attachment 670257
+
View attachment 670260
For 300,000 troops by 2026.
Egypt should adapt the doctrine of the least losses, greatest casualties inflected on enemy troops.
My estimates are around 1.3 billion euros for such a modernization program. Get funds by selling the mountains of AKMs we have to LNA or any other groups or countries.

Why so much ya Basha? If the German contract for 120,000 is costing them $300 million (or 250 million Euros) then doubling that plus a few more will still be less than 600 million Euros, no?

I like your thinking about getting it done. Would there be an amo issue with the abundance of 7.62 x 39?

And Billip & Archer, it's really going to be tough to give up on locally built classics in the Maadi Misrs when they're just making better and better models. I can attest to these as they are superb! But to take production away from them when this is the quality they're shelling out these days will be tough, no? You might have to replan your plan, Arch, to include Maadi in this production line.

Eh9dj26XcAIfZ2Y

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom