What's new

U.S. Will Not Let Iran Buy Arms When U.N. Embargo Ends: Pompeo

lol mechanical radar, he means mechanical steering radar.

bro su-30==>f-4 not f-14. and it increases payload of each sortie by a 1.6 factor and the range by 2.4. it is more maneuverable, higher T/W ratio, BWR capable, better turn ratio, better MAX AoA, avionic, 400km radar...
still you can achieve that with a light fighter like J-10c . after all remember our plan was to replace f-4 with f-16 not f-15.
those two planes are maneuverable and have very good turn rate (all of them can sustain +9g without even using trust vectoring) by the way BAR may have 400km of range but its not that advanced for air to ground mission but APG-68(V)9 version of Israel and turkey airforce not only have 300km of range but also provide SAR capabilities.
For other countries that used such airplane you can look at Saab JAS 39 Gripen,Or FA-18, Dassault Rafale or Eurofighter Typhoon all considerably smaller as Su-30

Serious question, does Iran actually need any planes?

If embargo is lifted, Iran should definitely buy some jets from Russia, but missiles and air defence are a lot more effective than planes these days, no?

What are fighters even good for these days?

Show me where that is......I read the JCOPA dispute mechanism, I don't remember seeing anything of the sort.

Point 26 states what the U.S. has to do in return for Iran's compliance....the U.S. violated that clause and then publicly....PUBLICLY and with great fanfare withdrew from that agreement....the U.N. SC is not a kangaroo court where you get to beat the state by some legal gymnastics. They all know what this administration has done....this will go over like a lead balloon.....DOA! The only outcome is more damage to the this failed administrations diplomatic face.
from the UN resolution:
26. The EU will refrain from re-introducing or re-imposing the sanctions that it has terminated implementing under this JCPOA, without prejudice to the dispute resolution process provided for under this JCPOA. There will be no new nuclear-related UN Security Council sanctions and no new EU nuclearrelated sanctions or restrictive measures. The United States will make best efforts in good faith to sustain this JCPOA and to prevent interference with the realisation of the full benefit by Iran of the sanctions lifting specified in Annex II. The U.S. Administration, acting consistent with the respective roles of the President and the Congress, will refrain from re-introducing or reimposing the sanctions specified in Annex II that it has ceased applying under this JCPOA, without prejudice to the dispute resolution process provided for under this JCPOA. The U.S. Administration, acting consistent with the respective roles of the President and the Congress, will refrain from imposing new nuclear-related sanctions. Iran has stated that it will treat such a re-introduction or re-imposition of the sanctions specified in Annex II, or such an imposition of new nuclear-related sanctions, as grounds to cease performing its commitments under this JCPOA in whole or in part.

You can read paragraph 36 the dispute mechanism.....by complaining you can have it go to a resolution board, if you don't like the outcome, then you can withdraw.....the U.S. has forfeited that right already.

well he is right , Rouhani and Zarif just wanted a deal , and they publicly named anyone who dared to criticize this deal as bastard ( bi Shenas nameh ) ...

I still remember my hot and sad debate with pro-jcopa guys in military about this snap-back mechanism

USA needs to part of JCPOA to extend the arms embargo on Iran even then USA will need China & Russia not to veto it. embargo ends in October and USA has left the deal and cannot join back in. Idiot Trump exited the deal with out thinking it through.

As far as I Know, according to snap-back mechanism any party can trigger the mechanism and automatically all sanction will be back and none of UNSC primary member can veto it !!!

Even Russians and Chinese were shocked about this ...

As far as I Know, according to snap-back mechanism any party can trigger the mechanism and automatically all sanction will be back and none of UNSC primary member can veto it !!!

Even Russians and Chinese were shocked about this ...
USA has left they cannot trigger it. USA has to be part of JCPOA. If anyone from Europe triggers it them Iran will go full nuclear and they will not be able to stop cause of COVID19.

Show me where that is......I read the JCOPA dispute mechanism, I don't remember seeing anything of the sort.

This is in UNSC resolution 2231 that enshrined JCPOA in 2015:
11. Decides, acting under Article 41 of the Charter of the United Nations, that, within 30 days of receiving a notification by a JCPOA participant State of an issue that the JCPOA participant State believes constitutes significant non-performance of commitments under the JCPOA, it shall vote on a draft resolution to continue in effect the terminations in paragraph 7 (a) of this resolution, decides further that if, within 10 days of the notification referred to above, no Member of the Security Council has submitted such a draft resolution for a vote, then the President of the Security Council shall submit such a draft resolution and put it to a vote within 30 days of the notification referred to above, and expresses its intention to take into account the views of the States involved in the issue and any opinion on the issue by the Advisory Board established in the JCPOA;
12. Decides, acting under Article 41 of the Charter of the United Nations, that, if the Security Council does not adopt a resolution under paragraph 11 to continue in effect the terminations in paragraph 7 (a), then effective midnight Greenwich Mean Time after the thirtieth day after the notification to the Security Council described in paragraph 11, all of the provisions of resolutions 1696 (2006), 1737 (2006), 1747 (2007), 1803 (2008), 1835 (2008), and 1929 (2010) that have been terminated pursuant to paragraph 7 (a) shall apply in the same manner as they applied before the adoption of this resolution, and the measures contained in paragraphs 7, 8 and 16 to 20 of this resolution shall be terminated, unless the Security Council decides otherwise;

https://www.undocs.org/S/RES/2231(2015)

AFAIK from Moscow and Beijing then warned the Iranian side about the dangers of this moment, but Rouhani very wanted this deal in 2015 therefore he agreed not to insist on lifting arms sanctions until 2020 and on this snapback mechanism.

Last edited:
USA has left they cannot trigger it. USA has to be part of JCPOA. If anyone from Europe triggers it them Iran will go full nuclear and they will not be able to stop cause of COVID19.

You don't know the reformers which are currently in power (they have government, and they control the money and budget) ... they have sex slave mentality toward the west and want to please them as any cost ...

AFAIK from Moscow and Beijing then warned the Iranian side about the dangers of this moment, but Rouhani very wanted this deal in 2015 therefore he agreed not to insist on lifting arms sanctions until 2020 and on this snapback mechanism.

What this really shows is that Rouhani is a dogshit negotiator, who happened to get lucky after US shot itself in the foot. Iran should have never allowed that clause to exist in the first place.

The reformists were idiots who only got lucky because Trump is an even bigger idiot.

You don't know the reformers which are currently in power (they have government, and they control the money and budget) ... they have sex slave mentality toward the west and want to please them as any cost ...
reformist were never in power since Khatami
since him it was the government of principalists and ex-principalist moderate not reformers.

The reformists were idiots who only got lucky because Trump is an even bigger idiot.
well as I said its 14 year that reformist are not in power so your comment is somehow strange.

but all the radar we make for our airplanes are bvr capable and we don't make mechanical radars

I already said , its nonsense buying them and Su-30 never was as good as F-15 and no matter how many su-30 we buy it wont matter against the airplanes our enmies will field against it.
and how you knew what our F-14 have and what they lack

I cant comment much on Iran airborne radar bcz there is not much info in online space. Do you have knowledge of current radars being used ?

I cant comment much on Iran airborne radar bcz there is not much info in online space. Do you have knowledge of current radars being used ?
I don't have specefic all I knew its AN/APQ-120 that originally come with these airplanes
2395306.jpg

and this is new Radar in Iranian F-4
157380577503539100.png

also I knew we modified and digitized the radar in our F-14 but I don't have a picture of it
and this APQ-153 of F-5
13981217125803240198662510.jpg

and this is what we use in Kowsar light Fighter
13981217125956584198662710.jpg

also two years ago Air-force announced they used a new Iranian Radar while overhauling out C-130
https://www.mashreghnews.ir/news/900363/نصب-رادار-بومی-بر-روی-هرکولس-های-ارتش

I don't have specefic all I knew its AN/APQ-120 that originally come with these airplanes
2395306.jpg

and this is new Radar in Iranian F-4
157380577503539100.png

also I knew we modified and digitized the radar in our F-14 but I don't have a picture of it
and this APQ-153 of F-5
13981217125803240198662510.jpg

and this is what we use in Kowsar light Fighter
13981217125956584198662710.jpg

Both APQ153 and APQ 120 are short range radar and not BVR capable or tracking targets and long distance. Technology is way too old even for pulse Doppler radars. These were designed for short ranged missile which lacked IR guidance system so needed a FCR radar. This is a modern x band pulse Doppler which was used on jf17. This one is also pulse Doppler radar using mechanical scan.

jf-17-4.jpg

One mounted on F4 is AESA from looks of it but it is small bcz F4 has very sleek frame leaving very little space for bigger radars. But one cant speculate about range unless specs are provided by the manufacturer.

Both APQ153 and APQ 120 are short range radar and not BVR capable or tracking targets and long distance. Technology is way too old even for pulse Doppler radars. These were designed for short ranged missile which lacked IR guidance system so needed a FCR radar. This is a modern x band pulse Doppler which was used on jf17. This one is also pulse Doppler radar using mechanical scan.

jf-17-4.jpg

One mounted on F4 is AESA from looks of it but it is small bcz F4 has very sleek frame leaving very little space for bigger radars. But one cant speculate about range unless specs are provided by the manufacturer.
don't knew about the size but my guess is the size of f-4 nose is at least the size of f-16 noze if not bigger . don't forget APQ-120 is not exactly a small radar and think how much space will be freed if you remove it and put a more compact newer radar there.
but whwn it come to F-5 then the nose is really tight and I don't knew how much you can go with that limited space and also limited power that J-85 can provide.
we have the radar on RQ-4 , don't knew how much that radar can improve our radar making capabilities for future but right now I think radar on Kowsar look something in class of Grifo radars

Last edited:
This is in UNSC resolution 2231 that enshrined JCPOA in 2015:
11. Decides, acting under Article 41 of the Charter of the United Nations, that, within 30 days of receiving a notification by a JCPOA participant State of an issue that the JCPOA participant State believes constitutes significant non-performance of commitments under the JCPOA, it shall vote on a draft resolution to continue in effect the terminations in paragraph 7 (a) of this resolution, decides further that if, within 10 days of the notification referred to above, no Member of the Security Council has submitted such a draft resolution for a vote, then the President of the Security Council shall submit such a draft resolution and put it to a vote within 30 days of the notification referred to above, and expresses its intention to take into account the views of the States involved in the issue and any opinion on the issue by the Advisory Board established in the JCPOA;
12. Decides, acting under Article 41 of the Charter of the United Nations, that, if the Security Council does not adopt a resolution under paragraph 11 to continue in effect the terminations in paragraph 7 (a), then effective midnight Greenwich Mean Time after the thirtieth day after the notification to the Security Council described in paragraph 11, all of the provisions of resolutions 1696 (2006), 1737 (2006), 1747 (2007), 1803 (2008), 1835 (2008), and 1929 (2010) that have been terminated pursuant to paragraph 7 (a) shall apply in the same manner as they applied before the adoption of this resolution, and the measures contained in paragraphs 7, 8 and 16 to 20 of this resolution shall be terminated, unless the Security Council decides otherwise;

https://www.undocs.org/S/RES/2231(2015)

I don't understand how you can interpret that paragraph meaning that if the U.S. decides the whole sanction regime will snap back on Iran....everyone has known about the snap-back mech since the day it was signed. The non-performance needs to voted, then vetted by the IAEA and then voted on again my the UNSC....no one or 2 state participants can put the sanctions back. It has to be voted on...and only if the IAEA tells the UNSC that Iran is not adhering to the resolution.

What a ridiculous comment......yeah, the reformers are all at fault. Dude wake the f-up!!! The god damn hardliner friday prayer flat earthers have brought us here.....not the reformers. If your memory was longer than a goldfish you would remember how we ended up getting sanctioned in the first place.

What a ridiculous comment......yeah, the reformers are all at fault. Dude wake the f-up!!! The god damn hardliner friday prayer flat earthers have brought us here.....not the reformers. If your memory was longer than a goldfish you would remember how we ended up getting sanctioned in the first place.
All foreign policy matters are presented to Khamenei and then he will decide on it. He is the commander in chief. So the comment from that radical basiji doesnt make sense.

Rouhani is a nobody.

F14 like a interceptor with limited maneuverability/agility like mig-31

If you have SU30 than its better than your F14
As your opinion is your 60 F14 is ENOUGH to deal with hundreds of f-22/F35/f16/f15
Su30 will strengthen your Air Force and you have to able to sustain or face your enemies much longer than just 60 odd f14??

Pulse Doppler radars or mechanical scanned array

Actually F-14 is very maneuverable, instantaneous turn rate better than F-15. The plane's raw performance is competitive even in today's world, just the avionics is outdated. However avionics is the most important factor now, even 4.5 gen enjoy extremely one-sided advantage against 4 gen planes, not to mention 5th gens.

Though Iran has upgraded their F-14 fleet, I think they should send out their F-14 with their best pilot to join mock battle against 4.5 gen in friendly nation and see how they fair. If they do ok then there is no need for urgent procurement, if not then they may need to consider buying some 4.5 gen off the shelf real quick.

Back
Top Bottom