What's new

U.S. Will Not Let Iran Buy Arms When U.N. Embargo Ends: Pompeo

Been saying this forever, US would not allow Iran to buy arms.

Iran is under massive containment, it is already difficult to contain Iran by destroying Syria, sanctioning Iran to death, and doing various behind the scenes actions to weaken the country.

Yet even with all this Iran is still a problem, so imagine an Iran that is allowed to build a modern war machine consisting of hundreds of modern fighter jets, but more importantly access to newer technology/parts/raw materials to feed its own Research and develop for new domestic projects.

I mean of course the West won’t allow it. It’s like letting your enemy power up while you sit and watch.

well people might do not know but US blocked our attempts to acquire at least 80 mig-29 in past but we hope this time they do not succeed...

Even with UK jo
Actually, the snapback mechanism was a French proposal. Here the former French ambassador to the United States, Gérard Araud, in a heated discussion with pro-Israel propagandist and FDD lobbyist Richard Goldberg. Even he thinks the US' argument that is has legal right to active one of the JCPOA's provisions, even though it explicitly withdrew from the agreement, is absurd:

The only wildcard in all this is the United Kingdom imo. I'm guessing Pompeo is going to use all of his department's resources to persuade Boris Johnson to join the US in activating the snapback mechanism. In the end, the success of the Trump administration's effort to prevent the arms embargo from being lifted solely depends on its diplomatic resourcefulness; not some kind of twisted and self-proclaimed legal right as a non-participating member.
Even with UK joining US, that is still 2 out of 6 parties. 3 of which are veto right holders.

su-30 also has SAR capability and APG-68 range is ~90 km for a target like mig-29. those numbers possibly are against giant air tankers, bombers or AWACs.
not as good as APG-68 and the number you said belong to v8 not v9 also its the same case with Su-30 the radar range against fighter like mig-29 is a lot less than 400 and around 140 but don't forget its twice a jet like f-16 so it can be detected from farther away.

well people might do not know but US blocked our attempts to acquire at least 80 mig-29 in past but we hope this time they do not succeed...

I believe for us it's a win win situation because if the US doesn't succeed then at least the arms embargo is lifted and Iran will be able to purchase specific parts and weapons to increase it's military capabilities at a faster pace....
But if the US does succeed this would be the LAST straw and Iranian leaders would have NO reason or excuse to stay in the JCPOA or ever trust any deal made with the west be it Europe or the US! And yes we will be forced to rely further on domestic capabilities and this path may be longer and more complex but in the long run it would be far more rewarding.
In terms of weapons exports only countries that aren't subserviently to the west will be buying our weapons anyways so in that aspect I don't think much will change anyways!

So I say let the US do whatever it wants the most important thing is how Iran responds to it!

Even with UK jo

Even with UK joining US, that is still 2 out of 6 parties. 3 of which are veto right holders.
If only one party activates the trigger mechanism, all previous UN sanctions will return and unless all parties agree to stop it. It cannot be vetoed.

I have said this already, all the Russians, Chinese and EU members have to do is say they do not recognise the US being a participant in the deal any longer. The ambiguity of the JCPOA etc is not relevant, as long as the American claim of them still being a participant is not accepted, their actions will not lead to anything. Iran has done the right thing, they have come out and said if the Arm embargo is not lifted, the JCPOA is over:

Illegal extension of arms embargo to kill JCPOA forever

https://en.mehrnews.com/news/158276/Illegal-extension-of-arms-embargo-to-kill-JCPOA-forever

This is clearly to pressurise the Europeans to stand against this.

I think European and Russians know better what they have signed. If they say it won't work then it won't.
I think that's by far the most ridiculous argument I have heard in a while. The full text of the JCPOA is available online.
And Europeans and Russians have never denied the existence of the snapback mechanism. If your knowledge is limited, do not bring informed people in it to support your false claim.

I have said this already, all the Russians, Chinese and EU members have to do is say they do not recognise the US being a participant in the deal any longer. The ambiguity of the JCPOA etc is not relevant, as long as the American claim of them still being a participant is not accepted, their actions will not lead to anything. Iran has done the right thing, they have come out and said if the Arm embargo is not lifted, the JCPOA is over:

Illegal extension of arms embargo to kill JCPOA forever

https://en.mehrnews.com/news/158276/Illegal-extension-of-arms-embargo-to-kill-JCPOA-forever

This is clearly to pressurise the Europeans to stand against this.

What if Boris Johnson steps in for the US? Ever considered that? Pompeo is already discussing it with him.

yeah...we are all shocked, who saw it coming
we will see this time if russia is worth its mouth, or it will back down again like a humiliated dog in 2010 (S-300 deal cancelled)

Big boys USA and Russia in military equipment.

What if Boris Johnson steps in for the US? Ever considered that? Pompeo is already discussing it with him.

Any current true participant can trigger it, so yes, Boris could. But you're essentially asking me what if Boris steps in to end the JCPOA. As Iran has said openly (and common sense told us that already) that the JCPOA is over if this arms embargo is not lifted.

Any current true participant can trigger it, so yes, Boris could. But you're essentially asking me what if Boris steps in to end the JCPOA. As Iran has said openly (and common sense told us that already) that the JCPOA is over if this arms embargo is not lifted.
Well, do you think they mind that? Even if the JCPOA ends in September 2020, they have successfully stopped Iran's nuclear program for 5 years and sent it back to at least 10 years ago with the least trouble.

Think of it this way: We won't have enough enriched uranium for a fission bomb for at least a year even if we employ our full capacity. Oil prices are already too low. So, they won't mind us bombing Arab oil facilities and infrastructures to 50 years ago. What if they plan a limited military conflict to hit our nuclear infrastructures? Do you think they have stopped improving their bunker busters since 5 years ago?

if there is no other option , it wont mean you must go a and throw the money away. we can use it to develop our light fighter program until other option become available or it become advanced enough so we can move on to heavy fighter program .
we can invest it on our drone program and develop an interceptor drone .
when we talk about modernizing Iran Air-force we are talking about at least 10 milliard dollar of investment maybe more you can't just throw it away , you must think what you can do with that money.

sorry if we want to compete with USA plane to plane and ship to ship then we end up like USSR, Bankrupted and Balkanized .

but inferrior to anything our enemy throw in front of it.

One of the best comments on here.

https://www.businessinsider.com/the...-manufacturers-in-the-world-2019-11?r=US&IR=T

How many Chinese companies in the top 25?

Back
Top Bottom