What's new

U.S. Will Not Let Iran Buy Arms When U.N. Embargo Ends: Pompeo

F-14 was a very capable plane. Impressive radar combined with the LRAAM Phoenix made it a nightmare for anything in the air in that time. Being able to see and hit the enemy long before they can do the same is a capability the Iranian pilots are used to. It will not be an easy task for Iran to find a modern plane that will give it the same capability. 5th generation F-22 could give same results, but for obvious reasons Iran cannot get it.
The world is already thinking of moving to 6th generation planes. Nations like US, Japan, UK etc are already making moves. Iran needs to do everything it can to procure 5th generation fighter jet technology. The most important component by far is of course the engine. The main long term objective has to be indigenous development and manufacture, this will not be easy. Every other nations working on their stealth fighter are all relying on imports to varying degree. Some nations are even relying on foreigners for aid in the design of their project. This is normal given the complexity of such projects.

Flankers will give Iranian airforce a boost, but the issue with going for 4th generation fighters is that by the time Iran starts getting delivery of them, they may be almost obsolete. Iranian enemies will mostly all be flying 5th generation planes. 4th generation fighters will have their use, but in terms the backbone of Iranian airforce, this has to be 5th generation fighters. Iran does have options. Iran go for joint projects with other nations, for example see if the Russians could take Iran on board their PAK-FA. There are barriers here, and not just political. Iran does not have a good experience when it comes to purchasing from Russia (Read around the S-300 issue). If joint production could not be attained, then at minimum Iran could get delivery of some Russian or Chinese 5th gen planes as a stop gap. This will also allow Iran to reverse engineer if it needs to. In the meantime it will continue working on its impressive UAV industry to develop UCAVs and also on its own manned project.

Above is just my own conjecture. The reality is, we don't really know what the Iranian planners are thinking.

As a nationalistic Iranian, I sincerely hope that Pompeo succeeds in his task. Hopefully all those funds will instead be spent in domestic developments! As it should!
You’ll be spending a lot more on domestic rebuilding (like Syria) if Iran can’t protect itself

we have digitized F-14 radar and designed new radar for f-5 and f-14 what we really are behind is airborne early warning radar and for that first we need powerful engines to power the airplane and provide enough spare power for radar . also the engine must be efficient enough so the plane can stay airborne for a long time .

Iran has managed to achieve replication of old radars but ones required for BVR and long range scans is still far away. Iran has developed AESA systems for ground based guidance but miniaturization required to mount on a jet fighter will take another decade or with foreign assistance another 2-3 years. Iran is definitely on the right track so i hope future yields better results in terms of engine and radar tech. Engine will be the most difficult part to achieve considering even china has struggled to achieve this feat.

When it comes to complexity of military hardware, a submarine is actually more complex than a fighter jet. If you look at the different number of subsystems etc you need, submarines are the most complicated military hardwares. And Iran has designed & produced its own submarines and is now designing a 3000/4000 ton submarine. The reason why fighter jets are such a headache to produce is because of the jet engines, yes. Iran has produced its own turbojet i.e the OWJ:

IranEngine-735x413.jpg

Regardless of the fact this is the Iranian J-85, being able to produce a reusable jet engine is a mammoth task. Iran could end up creating its own turbofan engine, but it will take longer. If Iran can get outside aid, this can be done much faster. As for air-borne AESA radars, although not easy, Iran can produce them with greater relative ease compared with something like an engine. SAIRAN has produced many ground based AESA radars already, I have no doubt they can miniaturise that technology. Iran's electronic industry is very robust.

The most important question to ask at the moment is to what extend is Iran seriously perusing a fighter jet project. Unless we know that, then it's very hard for us civilians to grasp the momentum of these projects.

To replace F-14...
f-14 will serve another decade before we replace them.

su-30 will replace our phantom fleet, hopefully along with mirages and f-7s. we will not retire our tomcats while US is still using it's inferior F-15C fleet. the main purpose of this acquirement is it's anti ship and striking capability not air superiority. however it will provide that against smaller opponents and US itself in smaller extent.

I think Iran has done well in producing Miltary hardware. Apart from some crucial componets like jet engienes and plane mounted radar they basically have hands dipped in everything. Sanctions on iran have become more symbolic bcz China and Russia clearly dont give a rats arse about their sanctions. By hook or crook tech will get smuggled under the radar making these sanctions useless.
well Iran said they have built radars for fighters so we have to wait and see if its a AESA radar or not

waste of money investing in su-30
Why?? Bro
the alternative maybe anything but not two airplane first j-10 is not in class of f-14 and su-30 is in same generation than f-14 and can't be relied on for next 30 years
But su30 is considered to be one of the best jets in the world its has a latest avionics/radars/ ecm/ECCM that's your f14 lacks , su30 is considered to be 4.5th gen jet not early 4th gen jet like you have f14

the money spent on that can simulate our fighter program better ,but as I said they are inferrior to what our enemy put in front of it and J-10c can be a replacement for f-4 not f-14s
So what you want mostly USAF/USN are using 4.5th gen jets su30 will be the good options to face US 4.5th gen jets

Am I missing something here?

If UN lifts arms embargo, and US claims it is still participant of JCPOA, how is US going to enforce an arms embargo without Russian endorsement?

Well the arms embargo on China from 1989 really curtailed China. Look where it got China to.

China has been importing from the EU & Russia apart from stealing the tech from the US.

Am I missing something here?

If UN lifts arms embargo, and US claims it is still participant of JCPOA, how is US going to enforce an arms embargo without Russian endorsement?

US would prevent through Countering America's Adversaries Through Sanctions Act

https://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/sanctions/Programs/Pages/caatsa.aspx

Why?? Bro

But su30 is considered to be one of the best jets in the world its has a latest avionics/radars/ ecm/ECCM that's your f14 lacks , su30 is considered to be 4.5th gen jet not early 4th gen jet like you have f14

So what you want mostly USAF/USN are using 4.5th gen jets su30 will be the good options to face US 4.5th gen jets
my friend no air force would retire it's most potent fighter first while there are shit load of crappy f-4s and f-7s and mirage f-1s. that is the reason why people confuse and say this purchase would not increase our fleet capability.

my friend no air force would retire it's most potent fighter first while there are shit load of crappy f-4s and f-7s and mirage f-1s. that is the reason why people confuse and say this purchase would not increase our fleet capability.
You have to replace lots of junk jets in your Air force like f4/f7/ mirage f1/f5 etc etc latest Flankers would be a good option to replace these junks
And f14 is no more potent fighter jets for any Air force and your f14 is low in numbers, 40 or less,isn't it bro?

Back
Top Bottom