dadeechi

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
'U.S keen to build fighter jets in India'

Dinakar Peri

Frank_Kendall__2810311f.jpg

:Frank Kendall, US Under Secretary of Defence for Acquisition, technology and Logistics in New Delhi. Photo: Special Arrangement

Interview with U.S Under Secretary of Defence for Acquisition, Technology and Logistics, Frank Kendall.
There seem to be issues with the initial path finder projects between the two countries, agreed to under the Defence Technology and Trade Initiative (DTTI). Can you give an overview of the progress so far?

There are no issues with the ongoing projects. The two cooperative agreements were signed six months ago and they are progressing well-- mobile hybrid power source and protective ensemble. The other major activities are on the two working groups one for aircraft carrier cooperation which is moving very well. The jet engine working group has also recently done a trip to India and we are looking at some opportunities for cooperative development on jet engines. That is not as far long as the cooperation on carrier work is but is making good progress too. One of the things that falls under DTTI is technology cooperation. We have four more I think that we are close to agree to. Each side has put certain things on the table for consideration by the other and I will be going to India in few weeks and we will see if we can make some progress on the initial ones.

There are about 17 projects we are considering and I think both sides looking for something significant we can do together now that we have made significant progress in kind of building relationships and establishing initial projects. I think what we are all looking for is to scale the work up. Now if we do substantial cooperative work on aircraft carrier side I think that might fit the requirement. I think there is a possibility on the jet engine side as well that we are looking at. I think what we are looking is the future plans for the two militaries and see where opportunities might exist to do some things together. We both have interest in some common kind of capabilities. But I am really encouraged that DTTI has moved forward a lot during the last two years under the Modi administration and I am looking forward to additional progress. Our next formal meeting will be this summer but we are not waiting for that, we are trying to move things forward.

You talked about cooperation in UAVs. India has for some time expressed interest in procuring armed drones. Do you see any movement on that front?

Armed drones are a problem just because technology transfer is an issue. I don’t think we are doing armed drones any time soon or a specific program to develop one soon. We have pretty good capability there but there are issues. But we are working on UAV technologies like sensor technologies.

In the context of the high technology projects that are in the pipeline how important are the three foundational agreements?

I do not think they are essential but they would be helpful. The three agreements -- Logistics Support Agreement (LSA), Communications Interoperability and Security Memorandum of Agreement (CISMOA) and Basic Exchange and Cooperation Agreement for Geo-spatial Cooperation (BECA) -- I don’t think that they are standing in the way of cooperation on DTTI but I think they will create an environment which will facilitate cooperation in general. Our relationship with India carries a lot of things besides DTTI. We have a lot of exercises we do together, we have lot of military to military contact. We are looking at acquisition training for management that is one of the things we are talking under DTTI. So it is a much bigger and broader relationship than technology transfer and technology trade certainly. The agreements we are talking about cover other aspects for the most part.

Is there a possibility of F-16 fighters rolling out of a production line in India?

We are talking about of this and it is not clear that it will be under DTTI. India has a requirement for additional fighters and both F-16 and F-18 are possibilities for that. We have cleared some information to be provided to India from Lockheed and Boeing on what they might offer. I think both of them have some strong Make in India components in what they are proposing. We are aware of the discussions and facilitating them so much as we can. The Indian government has not made a decision yet. At this point it is not part of DTTI but if India takes a decision to go with one of those we could include it under DTTI.

What are the new areas you are exploring for co-development and co-production?

The fighter possibilities I think pretty good. What is needed to move forward is agreement that we have a programme of some kind, we both have a shared requirement. I was hoping at one time that out new jet trainer for the Air Force would be a possibility. But the timing was not accurate. We are starting a program shortly but India is in the middle of producing an aircraft perhaps so it did not work out. I am looking for other things like that with a year or two lead time before we start working a contract and so on.

Finding something like that is largely the target of opportunity. There may be cases where we would like to do something but we don’t have adequate budget to do it. India would like to do it, they don’t have adequate budget to do it. But together we could afford it. That would be almost an ideal win-win but I have not identified a program like that yet.

Any projects under consideration?

No, there are possibilities in the area of say ground vehicles, would be one I would look at. The US Army does not have a new program for ground vehicles but is working on new technologies for them. I know India is looking at a program there. That’s one area I would be interested in discussing. Again a lot of parties would have to come together to make that happen. The Army would have to decide to do it, add resources for that, shift resources for that, and we have to align schedules. I am giving you a sense I hope of the difficulty of getting to a program of mutual interest in doing something and our budgets can align and our requirements can align. We need to get all the pieces together to get to that kind of a program. That is what we would like to do with India under DTTI.

In the four earlier projects under DTTI, two projects failed to make progress. What are the reasons?

The industry projects-- interesting lesson we learnt on that. We were trying to facilitate industry to industry cooperation. Raven Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) was one of those and C-130 roll-on, roll-off kits was the other. Those have not made a lot of progress. I think there is still a chance that the Raven/Cheel UAV might be required in India. Those were cases where our government wasn’t planning to buy the product and we were facilitating industry to industry cooperation and we are still happy to do that but I think it is hard to move those forward when there is no government commitment. India took a look at both of them, they still looking at a UAV, they are competing for a small tactical UAV. They did not have a requirement for the roll-on, roll-off modules we are talking about. I would say those are the ones not moving forward at this time in time. But it taught us about the kind of things we should try and do under DTTI. We may try to still facilitate some industry to industry things but I am probably less optimistic on them simply because of our experience with these two. It is easier to get commitments on the government to government things than on the industry to industry things. There has to be a business case for the industry to industry things.

Anything we do we are very understanding of India’s desire of Make in India and technology transfer. So we will work on aspects of that to make sure we met the objectives.

India, US considering up to 17 joint projects in defence: senior US official - The Hindu

Our F18 platform is far superior to anything China has. Plus we will tweak it to make it stealthier and more lethal.

India set to approve manufacturing facility for US fighter jets
April 11, 2016 Posted by Anupama Airy

Anupama Airy

India is likely to approve the setting up of a manufacturing facility for the F-16 aircrafts or the F/A18 super hornet jet fighters early next week, top government sources have told DefenceAviationPost.

“Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar will once again strike a tough bargain for India during the ongoing three day visit of the US Defence Secretary Ashton Carter, a bargain that will see the country benefitng on both the economic and strategic front besides gaining immensely on the technical front…. setting up of a manufacturing line in India for either F-16 aircrafts or F/A18 super hornet jet fighters may be announced,” said a top Defence Ministry official.

Both the US fighter jet makers– Lockheed Martin and Boeing have expressed keen interest to set up manufacturing facilities for these two niche aircrafts in India in line with the Modi government’s “Make in India” initiative.

While the exact announcement on whether India will go for a F-16 or a F-18 facility will be known shortly, the Indian defence establishment has been keen to go for the twin-engine F/A 18 super hornets (Boeing) over the F-16 single engine aircrafts by Lockheed Martin after the indigenously developed Tejas light combat aircrafts.

US has been keen to strengthen defence ties with India as New Delhi prepares to dole out multi-billion defence contracts and Carter’s three day visit—which is second in less than a year – clearly signals the intent.

“The visit could see the signing of an agreement for sharing of technology for jet fighter engines as also for aircraft carrier building technology under the Defence Technology and Trade Initiative (DTTI) framework between India and the US. The US has offered to manufacture F-16 and F/A 18 in India and we may see an announcement on that front too,” sources said.

The Boeing F/A-18 Super Hornets

While the move will eventually mean sharing of technology, the advantages of setting up of a manufacturing line for these fighter aircrafts on the economic and strategic side would include jobs creation in India besides creating an ecosystem for components, sub-systems and spare supplies.

“The manufacturing line for jet fighters in India would by and large raise the skill levels of people involved in this initiative. What will add to India’s strategic advantage would be that once you have manufacturing line in India, the same can be used for exporting to third countries,” said a senior bureaucrat.

F-16 Super Vipers (Lokheed Martin)

Besides, there could also be an announcement on a service-to-service arrangement (for instance between Army-to-Army or the agreement between the two ground forces or Navy-to-Navy) that will enable exchange of ideas on acquisitions, technology pooling and developments.

In Goa, Parrikar will take Carter to the Naval base in Karwaar and will host him on India’s biggest aircraft carrier—INS Vikramaditya besides embarking on the US Blue Ridge—the command ship of the US 7th fleet, that is parked in the high seas.

INS Vikramaditya

Officials, however, ruled out the possibility of India signing the three foundation defence agreements with the US, something that the latter has been wanting to ink for a long time now. These three agreements are the Communications and Information Security Memorandum of Agreement (CISMOA), the Logistics Support Agreement (LSA), and the Basic Exchange and Cooperation Agreement (BECA) for geospatial intelligence and are seen as great enablers in aiding transfer of technology and promoting trade and joint military collaborations between the two sides.

“While India is not likely to ink these pacts during this visit, it will come to some understanding on the signing of the LSA now called as the Logistics Exchange Memorandum of Agreement. India may agree to sign this agreement with suitable modifications and build in provisions that will take care of India’s sensitivities,” the official said, adding that the other two agreements—CISMOA and BECA will not be signed.

Sources said that while there could be discussions on joint patrolling in Indian Ocean and South China sea but India is unlikely to agree on this and Parrikar is expected to take a considered strategic view keeping in mind the sensitivities on account of the unsettled borders with China. Discussions may also take place on the Pathankot issue as also on a Joint Secretary level framework agreement on Afghanistan besides sub-marines security. A joint statement will be also issued on the possible military co-operation agreed upon between the two sides in New Delhi on Tuesday.

Adds News Agency PTI From Panaji (Goa):

Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar has said India and the US will discuss the further movement in Defence Technology and Trade Initiative (DTTI) during the three-day visit of US Defence Secretary Ashton Carter.

Carter will be on a two-day tour of Karwar in neighbouring Karnataka and Goa today and tomorrow before proceeding for New Delhi.

“The DTTI discussions will be held in New Delhi on April 12,” Parrikar told reporters last evening here.

Carter will visit Mangueshi Temple and old Goa churches today, while he will be on board INS Vikramaditya, accompanied by Parrikar off Goa coast, tomorrow.

Parrikar said the DTTI talks will be held with the possibility to ensure that Centre’s flagship initiative ‘Make In India’ is made an integral part of it.

“India wants to establish the best of defence cooperation with the US as both the countries are biggest members in this sector globally,” the minister said.

Parrikar said India will make efforts to strengthen defence ties with the US.

“There are many important issues to be discussed. India wants to establish best defence cooperation with the US. Many issues of importance will be finalised in the bilateral talks in Delhi,” Parrikar said.

India set to approve manufacturing facility for US fighter jets - Defence Aviation Post

"We may select to buy aircraft from one or two companies / countries depending on our requirement and the bulk of it will be manufactured in India. A maximum of a squadron consisting of 18 aircraft may be bought outright from the winning bidder.

A total of 300 aircraft, mostly for the Indian Air force, will be manufactured over a 15-year period," Parrikar said.

He also said that India is looking to also export the fighter jets after its manufacture here.

@PARIKRAMA @Abingdonboy
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Parrikar also said that India and the US are very close to finalizing transfer of technology under Defence Technology and Trade Initiative (DTTI) for an aircraft carrier. Once the US agrees for technology transfer, they will become eligible to bid for manufacture of aircraft under the Make In India programme.

He said both manufacturers in the US and a few other competitors from Europe have the capability of offering a Naval variant for quick aircraft take off. The US and a few other countries have technology which provides for aircraft take off from Naval carriers within 40 seconds as against the present aircraft available with the Indian Navy which takes between three to four minutes for a take off.

Speaking more on the proposal for F/A-18 Super Hornets (Boeing) and on F-16s (Lockheed Martin) to be made in India, Parrikar said the US government has shared the presentation for the two proposals with the Ministry of Defence ahead of Carter's visit.

"Once these two proposals are scrutinized by our technical team, we may accept those proposals and then they would be eligible to bid for the Make in India jet fighters proposal," he added.

Parrikar said India has been evaluating other bidders such as SAAB from Sweden, Rafale multirole combat aircraft from France and Eurofighter Typhoon from the European consortium. He expressed the optimism that the Make in India jet fighter deal would be concluded by end of 2016 or early 2017.
India, US closer to signing logistic support agreement: Manohar Parrikar - Times of India

India, US closer to signing logistic support agreement: Manohar Parrikar

TNN | Apr 10, 2016, 03.14 AM IST
51761184.jpg
Defence minister Manohar Parrika. (File photo)
PANAJI: India and the US are moving a step closer towards finalization of the long pending logistic support agreement (LAS) for peaceful purpose and the visit of US Secretary of Defence Ashton Carter to India will clear all aspects of the issue, Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar said on Saturday.

In an interview, he told STOI that the LAS which has been in discussions for the last 12 years is expected to be signed in the next few weeks.

Carter is arriving in Goa on Sunday on an invitation by Parrikar as a follow up to his visit to the US a few months ago. Carter will also visit aircraft carrier INS Vikramaditya at Karwar on Monday. The two leaders will later formally meet in Delhi.

Parrikar also said that India and the US are very close to finalizing transfer of technology under Defence Technology and Trade Initiative (DTTI) for an aircraft carrier. Once the US agrees for technology transfer, they will become eligible to bid for manufacture of aircraft under the Make In India programme.

He said both manufacturers in the US and a few other competitors from Europe have the capability of offering a Naval variant for quick aircraft take off. The US and a few other countries have technology which provides for aircraft take off from Naval carriers within 40 seconds as against the present aircraft available with the Indian Navy which takes between three to four minutes for a take off.

Speaking more on the proposal for F/A-18 Super Hornets (Boeing) and on F-16s (Lockheed Martin) to be made in India, Parrikar said the US government has shared the presentation for the two proposals with the Ministry of Defence ahead of Carter's visit.

"Once these two proposals are scrutinized by our technical team, we may accept those proposals and then they would be eligible to bid for the Make in India jet fighters proposal," he added.

Parrikar said India has been evaluating other bidders such as SAAB from Sweden, Rafale multirole combat aircraft from France and Eurofighter Typhoon from the European consortium. He expressed the optimism that the Make in India jet fighter deal would be concluded by end of 2016 or early 2017.

"We may select to buy aircraft from one or two companies / countries depending on our requirement and the bulk of it will be manufactured in India. A maximum of a squadron consisting of 18 aircraft may be bought outright from the winning bidder. A total of 300 aircraft, mostly for the Indian Air force, will be manufactured over a 15-year period," Parrikar said. He also said that India is looking to also export the fighter jets after its manufacture here.

Parrikar said that he and Carter had developed a good equation because he (Carter) "is very open, frank and good natured and I somehow click with him". "The official talks will happen on April 12 in Delhi but during the time we spend in Goa together, he would be able to discuss some issues and informally come to conclusions on many other issues," the defence minister said. He added that informal meetings do help in building confidence with international leaders. Parrikar said that India wants good relations with the US but on an equal platform but "that does not mean we will sacrifice our independence or our relations with anyone else".

On Carter's statement that the US is looking at India as part of their global agenda and not like Pakistan, Parrikar said that is the level which the country wants to achieve. Parrikar also said that he will push the US to put pressure on Pakistan to act against terrorism. "The terrorism issue, sharing intelligence and real time intelligence on terror would be discussed during his meeting with Carter," he said. Parrikar also said that the jet engine proposal from the US, and its transfer of technology is still yet to mature. "There are still some negotiations (on jet engine) required before we can go ahead," he added.

Carter, accompanied by Parrikar, will visit the Basilica of Bom Jesus at Old Goa and the Mangueshi temple on Sunday.

India, US closer to signing logistic support agreement: Manohar Parrikar - Times of India

Our F18 platform is far superior to anything China has. Plus we will tweak it to make it stealthier and more lethal.

That's a pretty bold claim; care to explain how?

India, US set to finalize defence pact as Manohar Parrikar, Ashton Carter hold talks
The two nations are expected to discuss production of fighter jets in India; New Delhi is keen on Boeing’s Super Hornet jet fighters

Elizabeth RocheTarun Shukla

Manoharnew-kEiD--621x414@LiveMint.jpg

A file photo of defence minister Manohar Parrikar with US defence secretary Ashton Carter. Carter is in India on a three-day trip. Photo: PTI
New Delhi: The government’s Make in India scheme and defence cooperation with the US could get a fillip during US defence secretary Ashton Carter’s three-day visit to India beginning Sunday, with the two countries close to finalizing a defence pact and India keen on establishing a production line for American fighter aircraft.

Defence minister Manohar Parrikar will host his American counterpart on board aircraft carrier INS Vikramaditya off the coast of Goa on 10-11 April, before the two arrive in New Delhi for talks on 12 April. Carter hosted Parrikar aboard the USS Dwight D. Eisenhower aircraft carrier during his US visit in December.

This is expected to be Carter’s last trip to India in his current capacity, given that the US will be going in for presidential elections in November, which will be followed by a change of guard in Washington with President Barack Obama stepping down after eight years in office.

Carter is seen in India as the chief architect of the India-US Defence Trade and Technology Initiative (DTTI) which he nurtured during his previous stint at the US department of defence (DoD) as deputy secretary of defence between 2011 and 2013. The main aim of the DTTI is to strengthen cooperation through collaboration between Indian and US firms in co-production where the US provides technology and guidance for building modern weapon systems.

According to a statement from the DoD over the weekend, Carter’s visit to the Asia Pacific—specifically, India and the Philippines—is to advance the solidification of the US’s rebalancing towards the region. Carter will also be travelling to the Arabian Gulf as part of the war against the Islamic State terror group.

The US’s rebalancing towards Asia, announced in 2011, means assigning higher priority and political, economic and security resources to the Asia-Pacific region because of its dynamism and the increased assertiveness of a rising China, watched warily by many countries in the region.

The rebalancing includes the strengthening of relationships with allies like Australia and partners like India and Indonesia, a more extensive and structured relationship with the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (Asean), drawing these countries into the US’s economic sphere of influence with pacts such as the Trans-Pacific Partnership, as well as maintaining a stable relationship with China.

“Much of what is being said and planned flows from our decision to increase defence procurement from US and the (India-US) joint strategic vision for the Asia Pacific,” said former foreign secretary Kanwal Sibal, referring to two statements—one issued in 2014 when Prime Minister Narendra Modi visited the US and the second when US President Obama visited New Delhi in 2015. Both spoke of increased cooperation between India and the US in the Asia-Pacific region, noting a strategic convergence on both sides.

Carter and Parrikar are expected to discuss establishing a fighter production line under the Make in India programme. India is keener on F/A-18 Super Hornets manufactured by Boeing than the F-16s manufactured by Lockheed Martin, a government official said, requesting anonymity.

This comes against the backdrop of the Indian Air Force scouring for replacements for its ageing fleet of more than 30 fighter squadrons and a Rs.60,000 crore acquisition of 36 French Rafale fighters, which is yet to be clinched.

In recent months, senior air force officials have said that with the number of aircraft in its inventory, India would not be able to fight a two-front war—i.e., against China and Pakistan—if the need arises.

“Both offers (Boeing and Lockheed Martin) are attractive for the Make in India strategy programme, but I don’t think we have a final decision yet,” said the government official cited above. The twin-engine F/A-18s may be the more attractive choice given that Boeing has offered “a new-generation production line” to be set up in India, the official said.

According to Laxman Kumar Behera, analyst at the Institute for Defence Studies and Analyses (IDSA), “Boeing, Lockheed are fishing in troubled waters. They are sensing some trouble in the Rafale deal. This will be good for India as the French are asking for a lot of money and they should know we have other options.”

When asked about the status of negotiations, a spokesperson for Boeing said, “This is a discussion between both the governments and we do not have more information at this stage.” Lockheed Martin did not respond to queries emailed on Wednesday.

According to the government official cited earlier, “the two sides will try to identify more military technologies for co-development and production under the bilateral DTTI”. A ship-launched unmanned aerial vehicle for maritime intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance is among the products being considered under the initiative.

“All the things that Carter is trying to do under the DTTI are medium- to long-term ventures which require technology transfers. The US administration is one element that has to say yes to this, but the US Congress is equally involved. There is bipartisan support in the Congress for good relations with India, but not necessarily on the transfer of technology. We need to see how this works out,” said Sibal.

From the US side, government officials anticipate that Carter could ask India to sign the three bilateral “foundational agreements”—the logistics support agreement (LSA), the communication interoperability and security memorandum agreement (CISMOA) and the basic exchange and cooperation agreement for geo-spatial cooperation (BECA).

While India is said to be shedding its inhibitions about the first—which includes Indian and American militaries providing logistics support, refuelling and berthing facilities for each other’s warships and aircraft—it still has reservations on the other two, said a second government official.

“There could be some movement ahead on the LSA, of course with some caveats,” Sibal said, adding that the caveat could be that India will offer logistics support on a case-by-case basis rather than agree to a blanket affirmative.

India, US set to finalize defence pact as Manohar Parrikar, Ashton Carter hold talks - Livemint

Ajai Shukla: Get real in US-India defence ties
New Delhi remains a priggish suitor to Washington's overtures, but it has begun appreciating potential tech benefits to ties with the US
Ajai Shukla April 11, 2016 Last Updated at 21:50 IST

ajai_shukla.jpg
Ashton Carter is in India again for his third visit in a year as America's defence secretary. He is one of an apparently inexhaustible stream of US officials making frequent pilgrimages to India to participate in an incredible 80 dialogues under way between the two countries. Last month, Delhi hosted Admiral Harry Harris - the chief of US Pacific Command (USPACOM), a domain that in his words "stretches from Bollywood to Hollywood" - who expansively looked forward to the day when "American and Indian Navy vessels steaming together will become a common and welcome sight throughout Indo-Asia-Pacific waters." A couple of days later, Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar subjected Harris' proposal to a dose of reality, observing testily that the question of joint patrolling did not arise. (The Indian Navy has never carried out joint patrols with a foreign navy. However, it routinely carries out "coordinated patrols" with the navies of maritime neighbours, each one's ships and aircraft remaining on their respective sides of the International Maritime Boundary Line.)

Undeterred by India's standoffishness, an American congressman, George Holding (a Republican from North Carolina) has introduced a Bill in the House of Representatives entitled the "US-India Defense Technology and Partnership Act". If passed by the US Congress (which is packed with India-huggers), this will write the defence relationship into US law, formalising our status as "a major partner of the United States". President Barack Obama's administration has nurtured the US-India relationship, instituting the Defence Technology and Trade Initiative (DTTI) and establishing an "India Rapid Reaction Cell" in the Pentagon to deal with bureaucratic hurdles. The new legislation seeks to write these ad hoc measures into US law so that subsequent administrations inherit these structures. The Bill also notes, somewhat controversially: "The [US] President is encouraged to coordinate with India on an annual basis to develop military contingency plans for addressing threats to mutual security interests of both countries."

1460396278-8218.jpg

Yet, New Delhi remains a priggish suitor in the face of Washington's ardent embrace. Even those Indian mandarins who are willing to put aside Cold War confrontation and two generations of technology denial regimes, do not yet see unalloyed strategic convergence with the US. True, there are common concerns about an aggressive China's emergence. Sure, the US wants to build up India and its military as a bulwark that would share the burden of regional security. Yes, Prime Minister Narendra Modi's "Act East" policy aligns with the Obama administration's "rebalance to Asia". Even so, most insiders sum up the strategic relationship thus: convergence to the east, divergence to the west.

Indian policymakers note bitterly the American belief that the road to peace in Kabul runs through Islamabad, thereby cutting New Delhi out of a significant role in Afghanistan. They point out that, notwithstanding the Indo-US convergence on China, Washington tacitly supports the China-Pakistan Economic Corridor and the development of the Gwadar Port, which will strengthen the China-Pakistan relationship. Despite America's counter-terrorism dialogue with India and increased intelligence sharing - which Indian officials downplay as "tactical cooperation" - Washington accepts the continued existence of India-focused jihadists in Pakistan, while demanding tough action by Islamabad against pan-Islamist groups in Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa and the Federally Administered Tribal Areas (Fata). The US continues supplying cutting-edge war-fighting equipment, such as Block 50/52 F-16 fighters, to Pakistan for "counter-terrorist operations", ignoring New Delhi's protests that such capability is not needed to fight terrorists. A top Indian policymaker sums up: "India and America were never together on AfPak, even during the George W Bush presidency. We are not in alignment now either, and we never will be."

Yet, signalling growing strategic maturity, New Delhi has de-coupled US-India ties from the AfPak paradigm and is, in fact, pushing to militarily associate India with US Central Command, which is responsible for America's military interests in AfPak, Iran and West Asia (India and the Indian Ocean fall under US Pacific Command, with which New Delhi already works.) That has allowed the defence relationship to steam along nicely. An expanded Indo-US defence framework agreement was extended for a decade till 2025. As US policymakers never tire of repeating, the US does more exercises with the Indian military than with any other. This summer the Indian Air Force is taking a big contingent of aircraft to the US for the highly regarded Red Flag Exercise. American defence equipment is flowing in steadily and, if India contracts for the M777 ultralight howitzer and signs repeat orders for C-17 Globemaster-III transport aircraft and P8-I maritime aircraft, the US would retain its new status as India's biggest arms supplier.

Under the DTTI, set up in 2012 to facilitate US-India defence trade, India seems likely to request US expertise in designing its second indigenous aircraft carrier (the first is almost built and is scheduled to be commissioned in 2018). If, as seems likely, the Indian Navy switches from its current (Russian style) ski-launch tradition to an (American style) catapult system for getting fighters airborne from the carrier, a host of American systems, including the F/A-18E/F Super Hornet fighter, carrier-launched airborne early warning aircraft like the E-2D Hawkeye, and specialist helicopters could make an entry into the Indian Navy. Just as Russia has come to dominate the land segments of armoured vehicle and air defence systems, the US may similarly dominate several dimensions of the Indian Navy's aircraft carrier battle groups.

Mr Carter knows that, at least in the short-to-medium term, the US-India partnership would obtain greater momentum from high-technology transfer than from talking up the China threat. The DTTI framework has promise, now that the Pentagon has begun viewing it as a mechanism for joint development, rather than just as a backdoor through which US vendors could bypass the Indian acquisition process. New Delhi, too, has begun to appreciate the potential technology benefits in the relationship, now that it is looking beyond the Make in India slogan, which is more about low-tech, build-to-print component manufacture, than high-end systems engineering. India has a long tradition of defence trade on a government-to-government basis. But America is different, with its large private defence vendors, who own the intellectual property that goes into their systems. That means New Delhi cannot pick up the phone to Washington and say, "Will you give us this technology"? Although the US government does control technology, obtaining access will also require a parallel process of negotiating with vendors and making a business case for transferring systems, technology and manufacturing to India. And that would be best done by India's new crop of private sector defence vendors.

Ajai Shukla: Get real in US-India defence ties | Business Standard Column

APG 79 AESA ; AIM 9X ; AIM 120 D

1. AESAs deployed on the J-10C (14th institute), J-15, J-16 (607th institute), as well as future J-11D (14th institute)
Chinese fighter AESA.jpg

2. The PL-10 high-off boresight missile has been tested aboard numerous platforms:
1642851_-_main.jpg

3. The PL-15 and PL-21 missiles have both been tested as well, also on numerous platforms

PL-15:
pl-15_close_up.jpg

PL-21:
17496305.jpg

1. AESAs deployed on the J-10C (14th institute), J-15, J-16 (607th institute), as well as future J-11D (14th institute)
View attachment 299779

2. The PL-10 high-off boresight missile has been tested aboard numerous platforms:
View attachment 299780

3. The PL-15 and PL-21 missiles have both been tested as well, also on numerous platforms

PL-15:
View attachment 299781

PL-21:
View attachment 299784

I am not alone in saying this BUT

It is widely believed ALL over the WORLD that US and Russian Military Technology
is still FAR superior to Chinese technology

And in avionics ; US is still the best ; no doubt about that

I am not alone in saying this BUT

It is widely believed ALL over the WORLD that US and Russian Military Technology
is still FAR superior to Chinese technology

Your evidence is public opinion? Oh my.

And in avionics ; US is still the best ; no doubt about that

No one doubts that, but is there really hard data to prove that those aboard the F-18 outclasses what PLAAF has?

@dadeechi

The Body language is just too good ; something is cooking

The Logistics Agreement is ready and CISMOA is also getting tweaked to be signed
at a later date

The visit to KARWAR ; by the US defence secretary is significant

Parrikar, Carter Visit Naval Base at Karwar, INS Vikramaditya -The New Indian Express

Karwar can be very useful to US navy ; it is a Huge base

Yes. This would be a very successful visit.

LSA, at least one fighter jet & jet engine under MII is a given at this point in time.

I am curious if the second jet would also make it or not.

That's a pretty bold claim; care to explain how?

LOL you are even behind the russians and you want to ask me to explain? Care to explain one single platform you have better? Ours is tried and tested platform used globally, while your stuff is only what? a CCP claim on paper while heavily censored.

Back
Top Bottom