What's new

Two Prithvi-II ballistic missiles test-fired

But the Prithvis (being liquid fueled) are being phased out by Shauryas right?

Then again Shaurya's are "Hybrid Ballistic-Cruise" missiles that don't come under the Indo-Pak missile notification treaty :D

But the Prithvis (being liquid fueled) are being phased out by Shauryas right?

Then again Shaurya's are "Hybrid Ballistic-Cruise" missiles that don't come under the Indo-Pak missile notification treaty :D

There is nothing like a Hybrid Ballistic Cruise missile. Shaurya is a ballistic missile, which has a flatter trajectory in its final phase. That is all.

People are just over hyping the missile. Its a good missile, lets not hype it like the F22.

jagjitnatt said:
There is nothing like a Hybrid Ballistic Cruise missile. Shaurya is a ballistic missile, which has a flatter trajectory in its final phase. That is all.

People are just over hyping the missile. Its a good missile, lets not hype it like the F22

Arrey that's why I used quotes ("Hybrid Ballistic-Cruise"). What I meant was India is using this fancy jargon to circumvent the Indo-Pak missile notification treaty which covers only ballistic missiles

People are just over hyping the missile. Its a good missile, lets not hype it like the F22.

Is there any other ballistic missile that follows a path of a cruise missile ?

If not,then Shaurya deserves the hype.

Actually failure of agni-2 test and success of Ghauri Hataf-V yesterday has badly bruised indian ego .hence to satisfy their inflated egos india tested 2 prithvis today.If india wants to match the pakistani missile test success then why not test agni again.y only test prithvi.

aint you get banned in defencefor&#m.in ,for same trolling ??:lol:

Is there any other ballistic missile that follows a path of a cruise missile ?

If not,then Shaurya deserves the hype.

Shaurya doesn't actually follow the trajectory of a cruise missile, actually far from it.

Shaurya just flattens it trajectory when it reaches a height of 50 kms. This requires more fuel, but allows it to maneuver, in its final phase. By maneuver, I don't mean maneuver like cruise missiles, or aircraft. I mean a little change in flight path, so as to avoid an anti-ballistic missile from intercepting it.

The propulsion is solid propellant. It shows no characteristics of a cruise missile, which has an always on propulsion system, and lower altitudes.

Shourya has to leave the earth's atmosphere, no cruise missile does that. Its a ballistic missile, just a better ballistic missile.

@Markus

just for understanding the difference b/w Ballistic missile and cruise missile trajectory and what jagjitnatt is trying to say ,watch this video

Last edited by a moderator:
Shaurya doesn't actually follow the trajectory of a cruise missile, actually far from it.

Shaurya just flattens it trajectory when it reaches a height of 50 kms. This requires more fuel, but allows it to maneuver, in its final phase. By maneuver, I don't mean maneuver like cruise missiles, or aircraft. I mean a little change in flight path, so as to avoid an anti-ballistic missile from intercepting it.

The propulsion is solid propellant. It shows no characteristics of a cruise missile, which has an always on propulsion system, and lower altitudes.

Shourya has to leave the earth's atmosphere, no cruise missile does that. Its a ballistic missile, just a better ballistic missile.

Can you provide a link for above information?

I found something different below:-

Broadsword: Shaurya surfaces as India’s underwater nuclear missile: New “hybrid” technology more advanced than China’s or Pakistan’s

Now top DRDO scientists have revealed that the Shaurya is not a ballistic missile, as it has been thought to be; it is actually a hypersonic cruise missile, which never leaves the atmosphere. A ballistic missile is like a stone being lobbed towards a target. Rockets toss it upwards and towards the target; after the rocket burns out, gravity pulls the missile warhead down towards the target. Buffeted by wind and re-entry forces, accuracy is a problem; and, since the ballistic missile’s path is predictable, shooting it down is relatively easy.

The Shaurya has none of these issues. Its solid-fuel, two-stage rocket accelerates the missile to six times the speed of sound before it reaches an altitude of 40 kilometers (125,000 feet), after which it levels out and cruises towards the target, powered by its onboard fuel. While ballistic missiles cannot correct their course midway, the Shaurya is an intelligent missile. Onboard navigation computers kick in near the target, guiding the missile to the target and eliminating errors that inevitably creep in during its turbulent journey.

The Shaurya, say DRDO sources, will strike within 20-30 metres of its target after travelling 750 kilometres.

Conventional cruise missiles, like the American Tomahawk and the Indo-Russian Brahmos, offer similar accuracy. But their air-breathing engines carry them along slowly, rendering them vulnerable to enemy aircraft and missiles. The Shaurya’s solid-fuel, air-independent engine propels it along at hypersonic speeds, leaving enemy fighters and missiles far behind.

“I would say the Shaurya a hybrid propulsion missile”, says Dr Saraswat. “Like a ballistic missile, it is powered by solid fuel. And, like a cruise missile, it can guide itself right up to the target.”

Making the Shaurya even more capable is its ability to manoeuvre, following a twisting path to the target that makes it very difficult to shoot it down. In contrast, a ballistic missile is predictable; its trajectory gives away its target and its path to it.

@Markus

just for understanding the difference b/w Ballistic missile and cruise missile trajectory and what jagjitnatt is trying to say ,watch this video

YouTube - Babur Cruise Missile Pakistan

I know the difference between a ballistic missile and a cruise missile.

We are trying to understand the flight trajectory of quasi ballistic Shaurya missile.

See my reply to jagjitnatt.

We are trying to understand the flight trajectory of quasi ballistic Shaurya missile.

Shaurya is a hypersonic BGV (Boost Glide vehicle) Missile. Sort of a hybrid Ballistic and cruise missile. Remember Shaurya never leaves the atmosphere.

Last edited:
Shaurya is a hypersonic BGRV (Boost Glide Reentry vehicle) Missile. Sort of a hybrid Ballistic and cruise missile. Remember Shaurya never leaves the atmosphere.

Thats what we are discussing.

Can you help here? Do you know of any other missile whose trajectory is more or less similar to that of Shaurya ?

Thats what we are discussing.

Can you help here? Do you know of any other missile whose trajectory is more or less similar to that of Shaurya ?

Any existing missile which travels at the speed of shourya (or more) leaves the atmosphere. Shaurya doesn't. That makes it unique.

Any existing missile which travels at the speed of shourya (or more) leaves the atmosphere. Shaurya doesn't. That makes it unique.

Thats what i said in post 34.

Shaurya deserves the hype. It has a great future.

That is incorrect sir. In fact it is exact opposite. Shaurya doesn't leave atmosphere and no ballistic missile does that. (Hence Hybrid).

Plus pure ballistic missiles are at mercy of interception by BMD and follow plain and predictable parabolic path. Shaurya is more like a hypersonic aircraft without any pilot.

Last edited:
That is incorrect sir. In fact it is exact opposite. Shaurya doesn't leave atmosphere and no ballistic missile does that. (Hence Hybrid).

Plus pure ballistic missiles are at mercy of interception by BMD and follow plain and predictable parabolic path. Shaurya is more like a hypersonic aircraft without any pilot.

Shaurya glides at an altitude greater than 40 kms. That is outside atmosphere. :lol:

Our atmosphere doesn't go beyond 20 kms, its very thin after than. In order to reach hypersonic speeds, we have to escape troposphere, but Shaurya goes beyond just troposphere, it goes beyond stratosphere also. That is where air pressure is negligible.

So saying that it doesn't leave atmosphere is wrong.

I still stand by my statement. I know what I am talking about. Anyone who is willing to debate is welcome.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom