What's new

Two Prithvi-II ballistic missiles test-fired

Shaurya is a hypersonic BGRV (Boost Glide Reentry vehicle) Missile. Sort of a hybrid Ballistic and cruise missile. Remember Shaurya never leaves the atmosphere.

Re-entry itself means that it leaves the atmosphere, and re enters it. :smokin:

Shaurya glides at an altitude greater than 40 kms. That is outside atmosphere. :lol:

Our atmosphere doesn't go beyond 20 kms, its very thin after than. In order to reach hypersonic speeds, we have to escape troposphere, but Shaurya goes beyond just troposphere, it goes beyond stratosphere also. That is where air pressure is negligible.

So saying that it doesn't leave atmosphere is wrong.

I still stand by my statement. I know what I am talking about. Anyone who is willing to debate is welcome.

Wikipedia:-
The Kármán line, at 100 km (62 mi), also is often regarded as the boundary between atmosphere and outer space.

http://news.in.msn.com/national/article.aspx?cp-documentid=3634496
he Shaurya was developed from ground up as a submarine-capable missile ... a hypersonic cruise missile, which never leaves the atmosphere.

http://ajaishukla.blogspot.com/2010/02/shaurya-surfaces-as-indias-underwater.html
a hypersonic cruise missile, which never leaves the atmosphere

And the most undeniable source:

http://www.business-standard.com/in...as-india/s-underwater-nuclear-missile/385952/
Now top DRDO scientists have revealed that the Shaurya is not a ballistic missile, as it has been thought to be; it is actually a hypersonic cruise missile, which never leaves the atmosphere.

Last edited:
Shaurya glides at an altitude greater than 40 kms. That is outside atmosphere. :lol:

Our atmosphere doesn't go beyond 20 kms, its very thin after than. In order to reach hypersonic speeds, we have to escape troposphere, but Shaurya goes beyond just troposphere, it goes beyond stratosphere also. That is where air pressure is negligible.

So saying that it doesn't leave atmosphere is wrong.

I still stand by my statement. I know what I am talking about. Anyone who is willing to debate is welcome.

Please see post 38 for what DRDO had to say about Shaurya.

Also, earth's atmosphere goes up to 40 kms, so its incorrect to assume that Shaurya exits earths atm.

Also, unlike ballistic missiles, Shaurya glides at 40 kms before coming down like a ballistic missile after coming very close to the target.

Ballistic missile (SRBM) travel >500 Km altitude by rocket thrust.

MRBM/ ICMB have an apogee of 1200 KM outside atmosphere.

As compared to that shaurya's apogee is about 40KM.

You can make the difference as to why it is called hybrid and unique.

Source:-wiki

When in space and no more thrust is provided, the missile enters free-flight. In order to cover large distances, ballistic missiles are usually launched into a high sub-orbital spaceflight; for intercontinental missiles the highest altitude (apogee) reached during free-flight is about 1200 km.
The re-entry stage begins at an altitude where atmospheric drag plays a significant part in missile trajectory, and lasts until missile impact.

Isn't this a liquid fuel missile...pretty much useless in an operational scenario then as it will hours to fuel and you cannot keep it fueled for long.

I've read all of that, and probably even more. Let me explain something.

This is not the first missile that has this type of trajectory. The Russian Iskander missile also has a similar trajectory. The thing here is that the altitude of the missile depends on the range of a bballistic missile.

Prithvi series of missile never leaves the atmosphere too, technically. But still it is a ballistic missile. The Shaurya is not a "Cruise missile" according to me is because of the following reasons:

- It glides at an altitude of 40-50 kms, its 5 meters to 12 kms for Brahmos.
- It can not maneuver mid way.
- It can never in its trajectory fly close to the ground.
- It will always impact the target like a ballistic missile.
- It does nothing that a cruise missile does.

It is a modified ballistic missile, but nothing like a cruise missile. What according to you makes it similar to cruise missile?

Don't give me the word of our scientists, they always compare their products with the best in the world. We know its not so.

Isn't this a liquid fuel missile...pretty much useless in an operational scenario then as it will hours to fuel and you cannot keep it fueled for long.

I don't know why you feel that in a scenario of war, we wouldn't keep our missiles ready. :hitwall:

---------- Post added at 05:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:38 PM ----------

Ballistic missile (SRBM) travel >500 Km altitude by rocket thrust.

MRBM/ ICMB have an apogee of 1200 KM outside atmosphere.

As compared to that shaurya's apogee is about 40KM.

You can make the difference as to why it is called hybrid and unique.

Source:-wiki

The altitude depends on the range of the missile. Higher the range, higher is the altitude required.

I don't know why you feel that in a scenario of war, we wouldn't keep our missiles ready. :hitwall:

It cannot be kept ready for long as the fuel corrodes the missile..so the missile has to be kept unfueled and then after the message is given to strike it is fueled which I think takes upto 8 hours.

None of the advanced missile powers use liquid fueled missiles for this reason.

It cannot be kept ready for long as the fuel corrodes the missile..so the missile has to be kept unfueled and then after the message is given to strike it is fueled which I think takes upto 8 hours.

None of the advanced missile powers use liquid fueled missiles for this reason.

for that we got custom ! Agni series and shurya :smitten:

Then why keep testing the Prithvi?

This wasn't a regular test. Its an experimental test of some of the new subsystems on board. Prithvi is an ideal platform for testing of new systems since it has evolved completely and has been mass produced.

Then why keep testing the Prithvi?

this is no testing but a user trials means user pick up any 2 missiles from storage or in production to check if everything is good. Also known as IN PROCESS QUALITY CONTROL CHECK.:smitten:

@JAGJI ,i don't think they checked anything new in this as this is a user trial and universal phenomenon is that you cant change or modify product during user trial.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom