What's new

TVC -vs- JHMCS ?

@blackblood. . what is JHMCS. is it like mig-29's HMS

JHMCS is Joint helmet mounted cueing system and it is the most advanced goodie for the pilots.

In fact the information processed through the sensors and radar is displayed in Pilot's helmet display and Pilot can choose the targets to hit simply by looking at them.

It includes With in visual range engagments and beyond visual range targets , includes Targets in the air , land and sea.

By having this technology the pilot just simply needs to look at the target and fire the missile while the Missile will chase the target on the basis of the information provided by the guidance system ie IR , GPS , Radar etc.

I think you should read my earlier posts and also posted by tiamikhan and emo to understand the actual concept of JHMCS.

helmet mounted sight is an old technology which litterly means projecting the HUD info in the helmet which is quite helpful but not compareable to JHMCS.

Regards::pakistan:

JHMCS is Joint helmet mounted cueing system and it is the most advanced goodie for the pilots.

In fact the information processed through the sensors and radar is displayed in Pilot's helmet display and Pilot can choose the targets to hit simply by looking at them.

It includes With in visual range engagments and beyond visual range targets , includes Targets in the air , land and sea.

By having this technology the pilot just simply needs to look at the target and fire the missile while the Missile will chase the target on the basis of the information provided by the guidance system ie IR , GPS , Radar etc.

I think you should read my earlier posts and also posted by tiamikhan and emo to understand the actual concept of JHMCS.

helmet mounted sight is an old technology which litterly means projecting the HUD info in the helmet which is quite helpful but not compareable to JHMCS.

Regards::pakistan:
thanks for information, is it cover entise 180degree, how it differs from HMCS on migs

Yes i agree as we know that the modern Missiles can pull 12 G's so i guess it is not difficult for a missile to hit a target on the tail of the launching platform as long as the Guidance is provided in shape or radar (on board and of board) or JHMCS.

In future the JHMCS would be used to engage multiple targets in the air , ground and in the sea.
Its a bigger concept isn't it ?

Modern WVR AAMs and specially modern High Off Bore Sight (HOBS) missiles can pull upwards of 40Gs to gain advantage against the target.

PAF need to put in another order for AIM-9x to compliment the AIM-9M 8/9s that we have on inventory.

thanks for information, is it cover entise 180degree, how it differs from HMCS on migs

JHMCS does more than just slaving the WVR AAM in high off bore sight engagements. It can cue the entire range of weapons and sensors on the aircraft. So as an example, in the surface attack role, the helmet is used to cue and attack targets using ordnance like JDAMs, LGBs and AGMs. It is also used to direct the various sensors such as the radar, targeting pod and FLIR in the direction the pilot wants to get situational awareness from by simply turning the head in that direction. The data is presented on the visor.

Another key thing about JHMCS in B models of US aircraft (F/16D etc.) is that both the pilot and the GIBS/WSO can use JHMCS simultaneously for tracking and targeting independent of each other all the while ensuring that both are kept up to date.

So this system is definitely far more advanced than the first generation HMS.

^So Why ain't we ?

When the order for AIM-9M was put in (2005 or so), the AIM-9x had just achieved IOC on the USAF aircraft and availability and approval would have been a challenge. It made good sense for the PAF to go for AIM-9Ms back then because the F-16s and (potentially) the F-7s can use both the L/M versions.

I suspect in the near future, we may see a follow-on order.

When the order for AIM-9M was put in (2005 or so), the AIM-9x had just achieved IOC on the USAF aircraft and availability and approval would have been a challenge. It made good sense for the PAF to go for AIM-9Ms back then because the F-16s and (potentially) the F-7s can use both the L/M versions.

I suspect in the near future, we may see a follow-on order.

And it makes you believe that PAF may order AIM-9x ?

The HMCS on MiG-29 & Flankers was the first HMD to be fielded, it didn't offered 'look & shoot' capability, but it provided a wide off bore sight shooting capability in a Dog Fight i.e 60 Degree compared to 15-30 Degree, integrate this off bore shooting capability with the better maneuverability & instantaneous turn rates of Flanker/MiG-29 , MiG-29/Flanker can kill any earlier models F-18, F-16, F-15 any time in a Dog Fight

see this picture, you can clearly see the advantage Combination on HMCS with R-73(AA-11 Archer) offered

but now this system is outdated & is no where near the Combination of Python - Dash HMD & AIM-9X - JHMCS

Last edited:
@ Balin 2: MBDA mica if inducted could be linked to Chinese HMD/S for Thunders ?

I think that is also similar to Boeing's JHMCS and features Look down shoot down capability moreover the speed of Mica is over mach4 and it features TVC.

The HMCS on MiG-29 & Flankers was the first HMD to be fielded, it didn't offered 'look & shoot' capability, but it provided a wide off bore sight shooting capability in a Dog Fight i.e 60 Degree compared to 15-30 Degree, integrate this off bore shooting capability with the better maneuverability & instantaneous turn rates of Flanker/MiG-29 , MiG-29/Flanker can kill any earlier models F-18, F-16, F-15 any time in a Dog Fight

see this picture, you can clearly see the advantage Combination on HMCS with R-73(AA-11 Archer) offered

but now this system is outdated & is no where near the Combination of Python - Dash HMD & AIM-9X - JHMCS
very informative, did older f-16 have the same system through MLU

as i told you, it was Russians who displayed this combination of HMD & Short Range AAM, older F-16, F-15, F-18s have no such capability though after MLUs they will have it

Gotham MLU M3 will include block 52 Standard radar and avionics , sensors and Sniper targeting pods and JHMCS too.

They all are supporting hardware to project information on F-16 JHMCS.

MBDA mica if inducted could be linked to Chinese HMD/S for Thunders ?

I highly doubt if French will ever allow it, Chinese HMD with French Weapons NO WAY

if we will be going for French Avioncs & weapons we will get Top Night/Top Sight HMD its integrated with Matra & MICA AAM, right now operational with Advanced M2Ks & Rafale

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom