What's new

TVC -vs- JHMCS ?

On the other hand TVC gives advantage only at low speeds like 300-400 km/h and less.

How right he is:cheers:
I do remember solving a problem of Transport Phenomenon (precisely Momentum transport) where we concluded that to cause an abrupt directional change you have to impart momentum DISBALANCE.
Now a given magnitude of momentum transfer can be via
  • Displacing large unit volume(s)(~density) of air at low/adequate speed
  • Displacing small unit volume(s) at higher speeds

Of-coarse the plane to which momentum be transferred solely is controlled by; in this case fins/canards..
In high altitudes dilution of air drastically reduces density thereby to cause adequate momentum transport from one plane to another (disbalance) we have to increase speed of the missile; this is the loss of fuel/energy which 500 is referring.

Here unconventional technology like TVC is needed to cause momentum transport (disbalance). Nozzle itself moves ( or any equivalent arrangement) such that thrust direction(vectoring) itself is utilised to cause momentum disbalance without eating away massive amount of fuels which in previous case is unavoidable!!
28sygjl.jpg

you may want to read this

Tight turns are vital in order to score a Kill , fortunately today's BVR's and WVR's Ie AIM-9x and AIM-120D / R77/PL-12 etc give enough range which means that There is enough energy to meet acceleration as well as Range requirements.
AIM-120, R-77, PL-12 are off topic here. I would not say that AIM-9X has enough range in all circumstances. Its max range is about 18-20 km. But thats in ideal case: high altitude, target is right infront of you. At low altitudes range will shrink to 10-8 km and even less. And is missile will have to turn backwards range will decrease even further.

Here I drew schematically how the effective range of spherical misisle looks like:

4343z.jpg

Forward effective range is considerably bigger than backward, or side. Right now MiG-29 is out of range. In order to bring it into the range F-16 would need to make a turn:

4342.jpg

So spherical missiles dont make maneuverability obselete. Thats why F-35 is quite an agile aircraft despite having DAS and AIM-9X.

I can sort of agree with you on this , but if this is the case then BVR's and HOBS can also be less efficient on higher altitudes where the air is thin and speeds are usually high.
Dogfights usually happen at low-mid altitudes. High altitudes are more for BVR and hit and run tactics.

@500

I am sure that this circle theory will be overruled if the warplane missile is directed via AWAC, towards the target
I mean this will not be the case:
Forward effective range is considerably bigger than backward

Back
Top Bottom