What's new

Turkmenistan Makes Another Quiet Purchase Of 8 Warships

AKINCI

Reaction score
Country
Turkey
turkmenistanblg.jpg

June 6, 2013 – 4:26 pm, by Joshua Kucera

Turkmenistan is buying eight new well armed naval vessels from Turkey, marking a substantial increase in capability for the country’s nascent navy.

The ships will be built by Dearsan, the Turkish shipyard Which had already been contracted by Turkmenistan for two fast patrol boats. The eight new ships will be of the same size as the two previous ships, but better armed.Each will be equipped with four anti-ship missiles, two remote-controlled MANPADS-sized surface-to-air missile launchers, a 40 mm main gun, a six-barreled anti-submarine mortar, two remote-controlled 12.7 mm guns and two Remote-controlled 25 mm guns.

This is according to Cem Devrim Yaylali, who blogs at Bosphorus Naval News . Yaylali Dearsan spoke to a representative at the recent IDEF defense expo in Istanbul, and took a photo of the model that Dearsan was presenting. And he was generous enough to pass along the information and photo to The Bug Pit.

Turkmenistan had already been reported to be acquiring five missile boats from Russia, in addition to the two Dearsan fast patrol boats.
Dearsan I asked for confirmation and more information, but did not hear back. That is not surprising: they have been very quiet about their previous deals with Turkmenistan, no doubt at Ashgabat’s request.

Most likely directed against Azerbaijan or Iran, in anticipation of conflict over Caspian resources.

I've always said they should buy Ada class corvettes instead. Even with anti-ship missiles it's still a patrol boat.

Turkmenistan is a landlocked country with the only access to water being the Caspian sea which itself is landlocked. So what is the point of having a Navy ?

Turkmenistan has huge oil and gas reserves, a lot of which are located in contested areas of the Caspian sea. Other than this, the Turkmen economy relies on agriculture. Naturally, as the Azeri-controlled reserves decline in output (Peak-oil theory and backed by statistics), Azerbaijan will attempt to find new reserves.

^^^ How are they going to get these ships to landlocked caspian sea ?? :undecided:

^^^ How are they going to get these ships to landlocked caspian sea ?? :undecided:
They will be build at a local shipyard,like they did with the others.

!diot , if you can't understand light jokes ,why replying and make a fool out of yourself .
A little misunderstanding,he didnt get the joke.

They will be build at a local shipyard,like they did with the others.

A little misunderstanding,he didnt get the joke.

I asked a genuine question and it is only now I am getting an actual answer .

I though of it being built at a local shipyard , just wanted to confirm it .

Thanks friend .

Back
Top Bottom