What's new

Turkish Naval Programs

Why not producing in license?
MKE production of parts has reached such level that it might as well be license production. But considering that 2/3 of the world is sea, and EEZ are going to be the new battlefield, and considering it's Italy (rival in regional politics etc.). It's better to build your own.

You may have seen a post of mine where I posted that original drawings of FPB-57 Lürssen is in fact designed by a turk. Shows that unless you take that step and develop it, you will be screwed over at some point in time.

I truly believe that if TSK had kept the FPB-57 design and supporter the designer we'd have our own domestig engine/propulsion system before the 90's. The said designer was even sent to France to properly have the designed QC before 1973, and got screwed over because TSK handed the blueprints to said German company.

Burak-class corvette in Turkish Navy modernized

TCG-Beykoz-Burak-S%C4%B1n%C4%B1f%C4%B1-Korvet-Modernize-750x375.jpg

Photos of the Burak class F-503 TCG Beykoz corvette of the Turkish Navy were shared on social media. According to the image shared by “Viya”, the cannon and radar of TCG Beykoz corvette, formerly called the D’Estienne d’Orves (Aviso)-class in the French Navy, were upgraded.

According to the examination of the images, the systems replaced in the ships are as follows:

• French-made 100mm CADAM canon instead replaced by Italian Oto Malara 76mm cannon
    • French DRBC 32E fire control radar replaced by indigenous ASELSAN AKR tracking and fire control radar
    • French DRBV 51A search radar replaced by ASELSAN 3D Search Radar (MAR-D)
Burak-class corvettes, which are six in the Turkish Navy inventory, are between the ages of 43 and 46. These ships were planned to be removed from the inventory in the past years. However, the ships could not be taken out of the inventory due to the delay of the Turkish Navy’s new shipbuilding programs, the tension in the region and the expansion of the Turkish Navy’s mission scope.

“The replaced 100mm guns were heavy and slow. In addition, there is a high dependency on France for spare parts and ammunition. Aviso, namely Burak, class ships are in better condition ships in spite of their age. They are easy to operate, inexpensive and robust ships. The French Navy retired the ships built to replace the Avisos and put the Avisos back on duty with the cannon removed. ” said Kozan Selçuk Erkan, Defense Turk author and naval engineer

France also used the centre line form of Aviso, which was preferable, in the Floréal class reconnaissance-surveillance frigates developed later.

As to the use of corvette, Erkan also said, “There is still no equivalent of corvette design in Greece. They deploy a patrol boat or frigate against the corvettes. For this reason, it is very beneficial for them to remain on duty through cost-effective modifications. ”

The launchers loaded with Javelin and L-UMTAS designed by Roketsan were added to the Burak-class corvettes and shots were made to test them. Among the possible scenarios is the integration of this system, which will be highly deterrent against the close targets in the Aegean.

In addition, even though MM-38 Exocet missiles in the Burak-class have been renovated in the past, the old missiles are considered not to be very effective.
UMTAS-1.png

L-UMTAS launched from the Burak-class corvette

https://en.defenceturk.net/burak-class-corvette-in-turkish-navy-modernized/

I fear we are having the dejavu of 99' earthquake like most major naval programs will either be scrapped or delayed for years. I pray I am wrong but thats the way it looks with the modernization of Burak-class corvettes.

I fear we are having the dejavu of 99' earthquake like most major naval programs will either be scrapped or delayed for years. I pray I am wrong but thats the way it looks with the modernization of Burak-class corvettes.

Due to the economic attacks on turkey, turkey has to focus carefully - I think modernizations in all sectors are more possible than complete new acquisitions and above all faster - consider the modernization of the leo2 and m60 - the same for the marine! and that is right and important - because Turkey is currently in a serious situation. and has to be quick-witted - at the moment she doesn't have the financial medium and time to scrap and replace the old ... inshaallah time will come again - and the threat situation will decrease!

Why the sudden interest on sub-surface weapon platforms used by Turkish Navy?

Böyle adamlara cevap vermeyin arkadaşlar lütfen rica ediyorum. Açsın açık kaynaklardan kendisi bulsun.

I do not think it is prohibited information, but it is publicly available
Mk-54
Mk-46
Mk-48
Mk-37
Mk-24
SST-4
Akya
Tork
Orka

I'm not sure if this is the entirety of Torpedoes.
Thank you for your interest

Do we have larger submarine classes in our inventory? Able to launch ballistic missiles or cruise missiles? If not, is there a plan to get some?

edit:

Why is Turkey buying 2 LHD? Why this form of 'light aircraft carrier' that would only be able to carry jump jets? Wouldn't it have made more sense to buy at least one real aircraft carrier instead of relying on the goodwill of the west? The carrier would be no less vulnerable to enemy navies, but would bring more skills than the LHD - we could launch fighter planes from there - and helicopters - and drones?

"The final contract for the construction of the ship was signed with the Navantia-Sedef consortium on 7 May 2015. The commissioning of the ship is scheduled for 2021, and the estimated cost of the ship according to the final specifications is $1 billion"

Further:

"According to the original plan, the Turkish Navy wanted a slightly shorter flight deck without the ski-jump ramp in front, to be optimized for use with only helicopters"

http://blogs.plymouth.ac.uk/dcss/20...the-construction-of-a-light-aircraft-carrier/

The Nimitz class costs on average 8B $, which makes a difference - but instead of 2 LHD for 2B $, wouldn't a real carrier have made more sense? If we have the know-how at all -
in any case, many countries have carriers, it doesn't have to be a big US carrier...
For example - the Italian Cavour Carrier ~ 1,4 B $

Just some questions - no hate pls

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom