What's new

Turkish Naval Programs

Do you live in Turkey ? How well of are you ? are you born with a silverspoon, or do you have family members in high positions ?

Your comments sound very much like you don't live in Turkey and are far removed from reality.

I very well know about my country
AKP spent hundreds of billions of dollars for useless buildings in the last 15 years
and $60 billion for humanitarian aid to muslim countries in the last 8 years

if ERDOGAN want , Turkiye can build Aircraft Carrier and can buy 40 Fighter Jets

Turkiye planed to buy 100 F-35A for $10 billion .... also 32 F-35B for Navy
even I am not talking about $35 billion operating cost for the lifespan of 100 F-35s

and Turkish Airlines buys 387 new Planes for $66 billion between 2013 and 2023

Turkiye has enough money for everything

Last edited:
An important clue for the TR's naval planning after 2030

Varank(Minister of Industry and Technology) said, "The main design of the first ship is foreign. In the future, we will find ways to manufacture this type of ship with our own unique designs. We hope to be able to construct ships in this class, including the design and test process from now on. We have a capability in this direction. With the MİLGEM Project, we can produce our warships completely locally and nationally with our own designs. "

This type of explanation gives important clues from 2 aspects.

1. Turkey is preparing new plan against the possibility of unable to take F35B. Different type platforms are evaluating according to the nature of the air elements that can be ensure. So TCG Anadolu will not have sister ship, if there is no change in relations with the USA in a short time. Turkey definitely wants a fixed wing naval air force. Using tactical UAVs on TCG Anadolu will not satisfy the navy.

2. It is also understood that there are some hesitations about continuing the partnership with Navantia. Navantia closely following to TN modernization plans in recent years, so maybe one of the reasons why Spain is the first country to resist the EU's sanction wave while Turkey started to crossborderoperation against pkk. Now Spain's next attitude will be a matter of curiosity as France tries to raise a new counter-wave against TR because of Libya issue.

We have discussed same matter a while ago. Turkey is certainly preparing to produce a full scale AC platform that will be built in Turkish shipyards. Growing defence industry and development of some strategic products enable us to produce more active and brave policies (like Mavi Vatan, Syria operations, Yemen’s request, Libya air and naval bases) to protect our interests against multiple enemies. These policies are forcing us to change own power projection and effecting the handling methods for regional problems so, Larger platforms like AC become vital If we want to join into the games at far geographies or If we want to protect offshore bases. No need to mention the deterrence and fear that an AC is going to provide when a problem like we have faced in Libya erupted in Mediterranean.

Most likely, Turkey will have two LHD and 1 AC between 2030-2040. It was stated (by Ismail Demir) that Tf-2000 destroyers and Milden submarines will be charged to protect carrier flag ships so The number of surface and submarine combatants to be constructed might be increased in following period.

We have discussed same matter a while ago. Turkey is certainly preparing to produce a full scale AC platform that will be built in Turkish shipyards. Growing defence industry and development of some strategic products enable us to produce more active and brave policies (like Mavi Vatan, Syria operations, Yemen’s request, Libya air and naval bases) to protect our interests against multiple enemies. These policies are forcing us to change own power projection and effecting the handling methods for regional problems so, Larger platforms like AC become vital If we want to join into the games at far geographies or If we want to protect offshore bases. No need to mention the deterrence and fear that an AC is going to provide when a problem like we have faced in Libya erupted in Mediterranean.

Most likely, Turkey will have two LHD and 1 AC between 2030-2040. It was stated (by Ismail Demir) that Tf-2000 destroyers and Milden submarines will be charged to protect carrier flag ships so The number of surface and submarine combatants to be constructed might be increased in following period.

WHAT !?? so we are going to wait until 2030 - 2040 to have an AC ? the gas in Mediterranean Sea and Black Sea will evaporates man

As long as you have planes to equip it with, the money to maintain it and a efficient personnel to crew it building an AC is the easy part.

The first batch of TF-X (or Block 1) that is supposed to be 4.5 Gen, could easily be modified with a strengthened airframe, stronger undercarriage, a tailhook, folding wings and wider landing gears. They would still be usable by the Air Force but could on a later date once the ship is operational be shifted over to Navy Command and be used on the AC.

Air Force can still use the TF-X with these modifications. In the worst scenario later Blocks could do away with them.

We would probably go for a STOBAR Carrier is it would be cheaper to maintain. Maybe something the size of Charles de Gaulle or similar.

Supercarriers are out of our financial realm.

WHAT !?? so we are going to wait until 2030 - 2040 to have an AC ? the gas in Mediterranean Sea and Black Sea will evaporates man

Donate around 5 Billion Dollars to the Navy and find them a plane they can use without any restriction on operations and use on a carrier by the seller country and I'm sure they will build you one.

This is not a game where you press build and everything goes smooth, the Navy has more imminent needs, e.g Anti-Air Destroyers and new Frigates to replace the aging Yavuz Class.

The next 10 years are reserved for I-Class and TF-2000 after that other project can be tackled.

Last edited:
I very well know about my country
AKP spent hundreds of billions of dollars for useless buildings in the last 15 years
and $60 billion for humanitarian aid to muslim countries in the last 8 years

if ERDOGAN want , Turkiye can build Aircraft Carrier and can buy 40 Fighter Jets

Turkiye planed to buy 100 F-35A for $10 billion .... also 32 F-35B for Navy
even I am not talking about $35 billion operating cost for the lifespan of 100 F-35s

and Turkish Airlines buys 387 new Planes for $66 billion between 2013 and 2023

Turkiye has enough money for everything
You skipped some of the questions.

Well I wasn’t trying to insult you, but you don’t seem to have the same concerns as the general population. Which means you earn more than enough.

As you say we have money, but that money will come at the expense of internal developments and in worst case from established institutions which would be pensions, education systems and so forth. Even the money ppl have in the banks.

Well I’ll admit it’s news to me that we need AC. Going to be interesting to see how the world looks in 10 years.

Turkey can't afford an aircraft carrier and the development cost of a carrier-based fighter. However, I reckon the need for an aircraft carrier given the tension in the Mediterranean.

If Turkey's economic growth can continue for next 20 year in current rate its not unlike Turkey can afford a aircraft carrier . For carrier born fighter turkey have the F-35B option in current row over s-400 can solve somehow .

Why Turkey didn't buy the Mistral while that two build for Russia were put on sell ?

Why Turkey didn't buy the Mistral while that two build for Russia were put on sell ?
It's Easy. We are not a 3rd world puppet dictatorship country like Egypt and we already had the Juan Carlos LHD program at that time ever since the late 90s or early 00s. The Egyptians bought the Mistrals for these reasons
  1. It would be a good answer to Turkey's ambitions of building and operating 2 LHDs as light AC with F-35Bs
  2. They could use them against Turkey on the behalf of serving EU's imperialistic ambitions and Greece
  3. It would be a good bribe to please France
  4. They knew that the 21st century would be the century of Naval forces and no country on Earth can be independent without a strong navy

US navy aborted multiple light carrier plan because of sortie number of F35B is found too low agains F35C

Donate around 5 Billion Dollars to the Navy and find them a plane they can use without any restriction on operations and use on a carrier by the seller country and I'm sure they will build you one.

I hope I'm a billionaire and Yes I'll donate money(but of course not that much) to our naval forces because I love the naval forces more than any other military branch. They have a lot of works to do to protects our rights in the mediterranean so yes they need our respect and donates :)

We can look at how many year it has taken to built TCG Anadolu with Navantia'a assistance and their design.
The project had some drawbacks our engineers were not trained in design, but rather in production and detail design (partially). So we have a major lack of trained personnel to design an AC. Moreover, we can still look out for assistance but AC is not expertise of Navantia (one of the possible partner).
For a real AC with stobar/catobar we can not presume to commission it before 2035 even 2040.
When people were claiming tcg anadolu would be in service in 2020 i clearly told it is not possible before 2022.
Same applies for an AC; people may think we will acquire it by 2030, it is not possible. Milden, TF-2000 is our priority not an AC.
For an AC you need a design which will take roughly 5-7 years (or 2-3 years with a partner), at least 6-7 years of production, tests will take 3 -4 years excluding training of personnel, pilot, aircraft, ship's crew.
From president's speech he has told it in a way of 'negotiations are going on for an AC' which may indicate it is a second hand ship.
As a last option, i told this before, we may expect a larger TCG Anadolu with pure AC configuration capable of handling particular aircrafts and it doesnt have priority beyond TF-2000 and I-Class.

US navy aborted multiple light carrier plan because of sortie number of F35B is found too low agains F35C
And Japan/Italy or other LHD owners are preparing to convert their ships to handle F-35B.
US does not necessarily need LHDs and F-35B for amphibious aeiral campaigns, as much as above mentioned countries, USN has ACs which particularly can handle F-35C/F-18 or unmanned systems.

From president's speech he has told it in a way of 'negotiations are going on for an AC' which may indicate it is a second hand ship.
A Wasp class turned into a AC seems to be the only option.
I dont see another choice,do you?

It's Easy. We are not a 3rd world puppet dictatorship country like Egypt and we already had the Juan Carlos LHD program at that time ever since the late 90s or early 00s. The Egyptians bought the Mistrals for these reasons
  1. It would be a good answer to Turkey's ambitions of building and operating 2 LHDs as light AC with F-35Bs
  2. They could use them against Turkey on the behalf of serving EU's imperialistic ambitions and Greece
  3. It would be a good bribe to please France
  4. They knew that the 21st century would be the century of Naval forces and no country on Earth can be independent without a strong navy
Nobody wanted to buy unfinished ships which have been many project changes in equiping process. And , here it is...
EZ_fbSAWoAAROPc

We have the Anatolian peninsula, we have Cyprus, we have one of the biggest military bases in Africa (Al Watiyah), we have an agreement with Albania (Pasha Liman Base), we have Somalia and Qatar, we're building TCG Anadolu.

Why should the TN focussing on building an AC right now? What would be the benefit of it? I'm not saying it'd be a bad thing but I just don't see the urgency.

Geopolitics may change, and we may not have those bases for long, an AC would give more freedom in that regard but it is much more costly.

F35 engine design came from Russia According to a video I shared, couldn’t we procure the old Soviet engine from same designer ?

Back
Top Bottom