What's new

Turkish Naval Programs

D5q76TKWAAkAf1v

As we know Çafrad UMR is a Sea based version of Eirs ;

ASELSAN_radar_teirs.jpg

Opera-Anl-k-G-r-nt-2020-05-04-120223-trmilitary-org.png

And eirs deliveries will start in 2021.

Just I'm thinking

Not for us but maybe for Pakistan, İf we incraese his vls 16 to 32 and add him back to one roteatable eirs like smart-L s bant + Mar-d x band like empar .

İt would be great low cost air defence frigate for pakistan or that kind of nations. Ship cost will be incrase 350 to 500 million but it still very cheap also we can add him 8x gezgin foldable launche behalf of 8 of the 16 of atmaca launchers ;

22x Siper Long Range
40x G-40 Medium Range
1x Phalanx
2x Stamp
8x Atmaca
8x Gezgin or Som-D
1x 76 mm

With same radar performance like horizon class and close to type 45 with the price of 500-600 millions. İt's can be have very good export success.

If TF-2000 is finalized like it's planned by the Navy, may God help the enemies of the Turkish Republic.

If TF-2000 is finalized like it's planned by the Navy, may God help the enemies of the Turkish Republic.
For aster-30/ Siper class long range air defence missile Tf-200 a luxury. A ship who as I stated last post good for Aster-30/siper kind missiles.

İf we want a use tf-200 with his top performance we need air defence missiles like Sm-6 Eram.

DkikyOCW0AE3AEc.jpg

If this design is finalized we should also expect a Naval 3D search radar (something like SMART-L) by Aselsan as their current offerings are very limited in range for such a platform.

I wonder how Barbaros MLU will look like, sure enough most of the electronic suite will get replaced. Maybe we would see ÇAFRAD subcomponents before the first keel is being laid for TF-2000s.

Bro that is not a Tf-200 diffrent radar concept. That is directly Diffrent Tf-2000 Ship concept.

I think its a cheap alternatife for Tf-200 project. As I see when compared current offical Tf-2000 concept;

- Decreased size
- Decreased ciws Capbility (phalanx is exp than gökdeniz.)
- Decreased S band Long range Capabilty (1 Umr (but verticaly position) behalf of 4x aesa complex)
- Decreased Vls Capability 64 to 48 .

So it could be good long range asw/asuw alternate for Tf-100 project behalf of Barbaros class in the future.

So it could be good long range asw/asuw alternate for Tf-100 project behalf of Barbaros class in the future.
I am aware of that. I just don't think that neither this design is final nor it is official as of now. The project hasn't officially started yet.

I also think we won't see TF-100 as a separate class either. We are just not that rich to employ 3 different frigate classes. IMO we would procure İ-class frigates in batches of 4 and 12 frigates in total and 4 to 7 TF-2000 to supplement these. If only we had something like APAR for İ-class, that would be such a deadly supplement for a ship of that size.

64 vls multiply by 5 million dollars cost of sm6 :)
Guided missiles are usually expensive

Not always as expensive as sm6. Aster 30 which has reasonable price , costs nearly 2.5 million dollar.

Is SM-6 without Aegis usable? If not then SM-6 is already not an option.
In order to fire an SM-6, you need a Mk 41 VLS and a radar that would illuminate the target at launch. These are all matters of system engineering, ofc you can configure ÇAFRAD to guide an SM-6.

D5q76TKWAAkAf1v

As we know Çafrad UMR is a Sea based version of Eirs ;

ASELSAN_radar_teirs.jpg

Opera-Anl-k-G-r-nt-2020-05-04-120223-trmilitary-org.png

And eirs deliveries will start in 2021.

Just I'm thinking

Not for us but maybe for Pakistan, İf we incraese his vls 16 to 32 and add him back to one roteatable eirs like smart-L s bant + Mar-d x band like empar .

İt would be great low cost air defence frigate for pakistan or that kind of nations. Ship cost will be incrase 350 to 500 million but it still very cheap also we can add him 8x gezgin foldable launche behalf of 8 of the 16 of atmaca launchers ;

22x Siper Long Range
40x G-40 Medium Range
1x Phalanx
2x Stamp
8x Atmaca
8x Gezgin or Som-D
1x 76 mm

With same radar performance like horizon class and close to type 45 with the price of 500-600 millions. İt's can be have very good export success.
Do you think of something low-cost? Chinese already does that and delivers faster than we do, with their own existing anti-air missiles and radar systems.
Our first aim it to localize modules of an air defence system for ourselves. Later we may concern about something to sell.
The world has needed /needs modular corvettes offshore patrol vessels in smaller sizes with low operational cost and multi -mission capabilities. This is the only place where we could make international sales.
If you need something better than horizon class or at the same abilities you will end up spending more or less the same amount of money. Even trying to adapt a frigate design, expanding it all the way around will come with delays, design revisions which will cost time and money more than starting from scratch (in terms of a new design).
Sole reason why our TF2000 is not based on I-Class. Even as stop-gap TN hasnt considered modifying Iclass with further capabilities. It has already been stretched enough both in ada class and further in i class. Its the limit.
And for ships, you cant go like " here i made this for you, is there anyone to buy it?", Countries rather comes up like, "i need this capabilities, around this size, what do you offer ?"
This is more like how a design shapes out.

I am aware of that. I just don't think that neither this design is final nor it is official as of now. The project hasn't officially started yet.

I also think we won't see TF-100 as a separate class either. We are just not that rich to employ 3 different frigate classes. IMO we would procure İ-class frigates in batches of 4 and 12 frigates in total and 4 to 7 TF-2000 to supplement these. If only we had something like APAR for İ-class, that would be such a deadly supplement for a ship of that size.

Guided missiles are usually expensive
After TF-2000 frigate, design office wouldnt have further projects ( in terms of similar loads), and we would need to replace aged frigates with up to date designs. Even design of milgem has started to age and european rivals are coming with new innovations.
Moreover private companies involve more and spend more on design projects. This is not a big deal for us anymore in terms of capabilities, it's only a deal of the finance.

In order to fire an SM-6, you need a Mk 41 VLS and a radar that would illuminate the target at launch. These are all matters of system engineering, ofc you can configure ÇAFRAD to guide an SM-6.

Radar or satellite?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PAAMS
AEGIS (and similar systems) are an offering of bundled systems together. PAAMS here is a better example since both Aster-15 and 30 uses active radar homing. I got some debugging to do but check it out as the Wiki article is mature enough for these questions.

Radar or satellite?
AFAIK sm3 intercepts with satellite data link.
Because SM3 exoatmospheric missile which can shoot satellites as well as ballistic missiles in space.
If you dream about missiles with tf 2000 , you had better choose SM3 instead of sm6.
However it costs just 10 million cuk:)

Aster 30 is great with price/ efficiency ratio. Also it allows using on ships and ground platforms. Both Same missiles and same system is used by ships and ground platforms. No additional costs, replacement opportunities.

Neither patriot nor s400 is naval.

Last edited:
AFAIK sm3 intercepts with satellite data link.
Because SM3 exoatmospheric missile which can shoot satellites as well as ballistic missiles in space.
If you dream about missiles with tf 2000 , you had better choose SM3 instead of sm6.
However it costs just 10 million cuk:)

Aster 30 is great with price/ efficiency ratio. Also it allows using on ships and ground platforms. Both Same missiles and same system is used by ships and ground platforms. No additional costs, replacement opportunities.

Neither patriot nor s400 is naval.

It was more a rhetorical question. Nevertheless, thanks.

Not always as expensive as sm6. Aster 30 which has reasonable price , costs nearly 2.5 million dollar.

SM-6 is far superior to ASTER-30

ASTER-30 = range 120 km and altitude 20km
SM-6 = range 240 km and altitude 34km

and SM-6 has great capabilities such as anti air warfare for over the horizon shot with Cooperative Engagement Capability, also terminal ballistic missile defense , also if needed to intercept supersonic anti ship missiles like Russian KH-31 which is Egyptian Airforce's inventory

also SM-6 can be used as a supersonic anti ship missile , if needed
even GPS guidance to the SM-6 that it has the capability to strike land targets if needed

İf we want a use tf-200 with his top performance we need air defence missiles like Sm-6 Eram.

SM-6 is great missile
but the US doesnt allow SM3 or SM-6 on Turkish TF-2000 with GENESIS battle management system and CAFRAD Radar , instead of American AEGIS battle management system and AN/SPY1 Radar

İf Russia agree , maybe we can use Turkish modified ( radar software ) S500-naval version ( 400km 77N6-N hypersonic air defense missile against ballistic missiles and fighter jets/aircrafts ) on TF-2000

Last edited:
Mr Demir:
Turkish type assault boat project (60+knots) is coming.
Unmanned naval platforms (Small, medium and bigger platforms) are being developed.
Evolution of Tf-2000 is proceeding in acc to national missile, sensor packages
Turkish industry is considering to nationalize the marine propulsion systems by providing own solutions.

Back
Top Bottom