What's new

Turkish Naval Programs

I think it's best Turkey builds more LST for itself then sells

Selling of equipment like this is never a good idea

No need to be desperate for petro dollar

Reminds me of Royal Navy sale to Australia prior to Falklands, another 6 months and UK wouldn't even have a carrier for 1982 war
you need money to build something. We can make some good money by selling those middle class ships, uavs, etc.
also nuclear powered aircraft would be better instead of builng 2-3 lpd.

We should start research for miniature naval nuclear reactor technology, ideally utilizing the thorium-molten-salt model, suitable for use with future LPD/LHDs and submarines. It'll likely take something like 5-10 years but we need to begin somewhere.

This is the reactor of a Russian Akula class submarine.

Soviet+Naval+Reactor.jpg

We should start research for miniature naval nuclear reactor technology, ideally utilizing the thorium-molten-salt model, suitable for use with future LPD/LHDs and submarines. It'll likely take something like 5-10 years but we need to begin somewhere.

Soviet+Naval+Reactor.jpg
Maintenance and regular service of USSR nuclear submarines took five years:) That's why they have a lot of submarines. While some subs are being serviced others swim.
edit:
I would like to add information lifespan of mobile nuclear reactors of submarines also app. 5 years:)
5 years works then 5 years are serviced. Effording nuclear flot needs 5kg. golden balls.

Last edited:
Maintenance and regular service of USSR nuclear submarines took five years:) That's why they have a lot of submarines. While some subs are being serviced others swim.
edit:
I would like to add information lifespan of mobile nuclear reactors of submarines also app. 5 years:)
5 years works then 5 years are serviced. Effording nuclear flot needs 5kg. golden balls.

I created a poll about future Naval platforms . Something is going an other way as we think.
New Turkish subs should get a Sodium/Sulfur battery pack, now some sources ( also TR Minister of Defence) made a " soup " of hydrogen/oxygen combined propulsion. That's make no sense at all.

Let's think about, no German submarine is active now; the last U-35 had an accident at exercises at Baltics.

We will build 6 new REIS - or other class hybrids. I try to make brain jogging only !

Soviet+Naval+Reactor.jpg

Since the 60's and later we are working with / and mini reactors

Agreed. But then again I'm not saying we should copy Soviet designs. I'm all for indigenous designs. I'd expect new Turkish reactors to be more modern and modular with easier/quicker maintenance.

Nuclear subs are far more quieter than diesel subs and have superior endurance. Because they don't have to be refueled for many years, their only mission time limitation is food/supplies for the crew.
I cannot agree with you...

Nuclear subs are good at blue and deep water... but, its a sitting duck in a Mediterranean sea for the reasons below

1) When the water used to cool down nuclear engine, steam... Nuclear submarine release it to water which release huge thermal sign behind it...
2) Because of nuclear energyand steam, there is huge vibration and sound in Nuclear submarine, which the sound get vibrated when it swims in shallow water..
3) You can turn off the diesel engine and wait for your hunt to arrive, and working with batteries.. especially with AIP system, they increased it from 1 week to 3 weeks... instead, you cannot stop nuclear engine, basically it will always make sound...

I believe, Turkey is on right track... you shouldnt invest all you got to nuclear energy... With Russian and Japanese help, you will get there after 2023-2025...

Turkey should heavily invest in AIP systems and you have a new great product.. Why Turkey just dont invest billions in it and sell it to Malasia and Indonesia... ? ASEAN countries are dieing to get Submarines... not from Chine and Russia(allies) and not from US and EUrope, Korea or Japan(they all depend on USA and you never know if the Falkland war happens again..)... who left? Turkey has huge opportunity to fill that gap...

Ignore him Atalay, thanks for your comments, and your daily posts.
Personally I m against nuclear power subs, geopolitical we need more battery powered& diesel subs, then buckler power subs. we don’t have a navy to go hit far location/countries.
Our navy back bone built to defend our nation. However our navy focus should be able to dominate any thing enters to meditarian sea, which nukler subs would be over kill for that.

Personally I m against nuclear power subs, geopolitical we need more battery powered& diesel subs, then buckler power subs. we don’t have a navy to go hit far location/countries.
Our navy back bone built to defend our nation. However our navy focus should be able to dominate any thing enters to meditarian sea, which nukler subs would be over kill for that.
20 years down the road, when we have aircraft carriers etc bigger heavyweight class navy, yes go for nuke subs. PS. I m not against to starting research for miniature nuke power for navy. However let’s be honest we don’t even have a working nuclear reactor yet.

Right. At the present we have to deterr Israel and its nuclear Turbo Popeyes, which are also submarine launched.

@YoungTurk01

Oh. We have at Cekmece and at ITÜ afaik. But some sources claims that our Gov. delivered all our nuclear raw material sticks to the USA, as a proof of good will. I dont know whether it is right.

1) When the water used to cool down nuclear engine, steam... Nuclear submarine release it to water which release huge thermal sign behind it...

This is only a realistic concern on the surface where IR satellites can pick up the signal. Nuclear subs have the luxury of being able to stay submerged for very long periods of time.

2) Because of nuclear energyand steam, there is huge vibration and sound in Nuclear submarine, which the sound get vibrated when it swims in shallow water..

I'm not sure nuclear submarines are louder than diesel submarines, since they use quiet electric motors and not piston motors. The loudest part of a nuclear sub is the steam turbine, which is generally well insulated to minimize sound emissions.

3) You can turn off the diesel engine and wait for your hunt to arrive, and working with batteries.. especially with AIP system, they increased it from 1 week to 3 weeks... instead, you cannot stop nuclear engine, basically it will always make sound...

Of course you can stop your engine. Do you think nuclear subs' propellers constantly spin? You can also stop the steam turbine and even the nuclear reactor itself. That's what the control rods are for.

This is only a realistic concern on the surface where IR satellites can pick up the signal. Nuclear subs have the luxury of being able to stay submerged for very long periods of time.

I'm not sure nuclear submarines are louder than diesel submarines, since they use quiet electric motors and not piston motors. The loudest part of a nuclear sub is the steam turbine, which is generally well insulated to minimize sound emissions.

Of course you can stop your engine. Do you think nuclear subs' propellers constantly spin? You can also stop the steam turbine and even the nuclear reactor itself. That's what the control rods are for.
Ok everyone made its point let’s move on

Nuclear subs' propellers are connected via a clutch or electric motor. They can't (except in an emergency) power down their reactors. In silent running they can turn off their pumps and use only convection but I don't think all of them can do this.

Nuclear subs' propellers are connected via a clutch or electric motor. They can't (except in an emergency) power down their reactors. In silent running they can turn off their pumps and use only convection but I don't think all of them can do this.
I'm not sure what you're trying to tell me here. The conclusion to draw here is that a nuclear sub is more silent than a diesel sub in normal operation. As for how they compare to AIP subs, I don't know. Submarine warfare is a never ending struggle to get quieter and quieter. There's a lot of factors that determine the sonic signature of a sub, even including the depth, temperature and salinity of the ocean water. What I do know is that you can shut down the turbine of a nuclear sub basically with the switch of a button and then run the electric motors on battery just like an AIP. Reactor itself can also be shut down and then restarted with the control rods.

1) NOT only Satellites, but also the navy aircrafts like Poseidon can track them... in shallow water, you simply cannot hide it..

2) you can hide it in deep water as there would be many other noises. Also, after some debth, you cannot really listen to things well in the oceans..
however, Turning steam turbine.. it makes a lot of sounds in shallow water.. because of lest debt in the water, the sound gets back from every angle and you can locate the submarine that way..

In ocean, diesel submarines cannot go too much deep into ocean, but the advantage of nuclear is they can..

But, with 400 meters dept, Turkish reis type of submarines and beat anybody there..

3) i would recommend you to look through how nuclear engine works.. you cannot just shut down the engine.. it will work and make sound and vibration..
you can stop propeller but not the engine itself..

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom