What's new

Turkish Missile Programs

^ From the source @Combat-Master shared above. New Roketsan factory construction in progress:

159d1f74dd3baf.jpg

159d1f74e76ac1.jpg

159d1f74f2abca.jpg

159d1f75047df0.jpg

159d1f750ed9fb.jpg

Looks like it'll be a smaller but highly specialized and high-tech factory.

It seems 1 system is not equal to 1 battery S-400 but more. It is asked to Canikli in PBK but He refused to answer it.

I think they're using the words "system" and "battery" interchangeably to mean one S-400 battalion. In this regard each system/battery/battalion consists of the following.

2a9ee3c25b8374721bdf1676c420217a.png

As noted, a battalion can have anywhere from 4 (minimum) to 12 (maximum) launchers. Each launcher carries 4 ready-to-fire missiles. I very much doubt Turkey is only getting 4 launchers/battalion for $2.5 billion. Our battalions will likely have 10 or 12 launchers. Those details will likely emerge in the coming months or we'll know when they deploy them. :)

Possible deployment locations of Turkish S-400s (in my opinion). Based on 2 "big bird" radars (250 km, larger circles) and 1 launcher each (smaller circle) with 48H6E anti-ballistic missiles (200 km range) in stand-alone, non-networked configuration. So we're assuming each battalion is acting independently. Launchers can be deployed at a distance of several kilometers but that's disregarded. For simplicity's sake we're considering launchers as point objects. There's a radar coverage overlap in the middle above Afyonkarahisar area.

a1aaAd.png

First battalion is deployed in Balat (Balikesir) and protects:
  • Istanbul
  • Izmir
  • Bursa
  • Eskisehir
  • Kutahya
  • Most of Turkey's economic/production centers in the west
Second battalion is deployed in Aksaray and protects:
  • Ankara
  • Kayseri
  • Konya
  • Adana
  • Mersin
  • Most of Turkey's government and key military centers

Possible deployment locations of Turkish S-400s (in my opinion). Based on 2 "big bird" radars (250 km, larger circles) and 1 launcher each (smaller circle) with 48H6E anti-ballistic missiles (200 km range) in stand-alone, non-networked configuration. So we're assuming each battalion is acting independently. Launchers can be deployed at a distance of several kilometers but that's disregarded. For simplicity's sake we're considering launchers as point objects. There's a radar coverage overlap in the middle above Afyonkarahisar area.

a1aaAd.png

First battalion is deployed in Balat (Balikesir) and protects:
  • Istanbul
  • Izmir
  • Bursa
  • Eskisehir
  • Kutahya
  • Most of Turkey's economic/production centers in the west
Second battalion is deployed in Aksaray and protects:
  • Ankara
  • Kayseri
  • Konya
  • Adana
  • Mersin
  • Most of Turkey's government and key military centers
According to above information, this picture you drow, consists 2 battery or 2 batalion.
But it is not still 1 system, in order to complete a system you need 2 more batalions.
Or not:)

The most important punct, your system doesnt cover AKSAZ naval base which is vital presidence for army. This naval base would be the first target of enemies.
One might be Istanbul and Izmit based,
Second might Kusadasi, AKSAZ based,in order to oversee all Eagean sea and enter to mediterrian.
haifa-aksaz.png

227b6f71be3c6115dc3be1587088b366.jpg

Last edited:
My prediction of S-400 placement was more geared towards ballistic missile/WMD protection of Turkey's major cities, government and industrial centers. Individual military bases can be covered with low/medium altitude air defense systems.

It's a very minimalist picture. With more systems/battalions obviously we can cover more areas. But I wanted to brainstorm where to place only two of them in order to gain the most benefit.

Last edited:
I wonder if we can use batteries divided. For example, if we get 4 batteries inside one system, i wonder if we put two batteries in İstanbul and other two in İzmir and use them as two divided systems instead of one.

I wonder if we can use batteries divided. For example, if we get 4 batteries inside one system, i wonder if we put two batteries in İstanbul and other two in İzmir and use them as two divided systems instead of one.

AFAIK, the launchers need to be within 30 km of the command vehicle due to datalink-range constraints. We can place the launchers at different locations in and around a city but we cannot put them in different cities unless we're talking about cities located extremely close together. Like Istanbul-Kocaeli-Yalova.

726cbe4eff4822f91eda3d059dd61360.jpg

According to image you have shared, fire control radars need to be in 30km therefor launchers also.
according the image 2 main radar station, 6 fire control radars and 12 launchers consist one battery.

Main tracking & searching radar cant feed this diametr of range. It would be useless if you used long range missiles.

According to image you have shared, fire control radars need to be in 30km therefor launchers also.
according the image 2 main radar station, 6 fire control radars and 12 launchers consist one battery.
The image I shared is just illustrative and isn't by any means indicative of the number of launchers/radars/C&C stations Turkey is acquiring. I shared it to demonstrate the possibility of placing the launchers in different locations around a city.

Turkish S-400 battalions will most likely have 6 to 8 launchers each. Not 12 like the picture shows.

Back
Top Bottom