What's new

Turkish Geopolitics/ Foreign Affairs

The golden path you described was also a period of Turkey mostly being dependent on western countries, whether trade or militarily. But times change and as countries become stronger economically and militarily, they will often try to assert themselves more internationally. Sure the current Turkish govt stuck their nose in some unnecessary businesses abroad, and they deserve strong criticism on that one.
To be honest, the situation in the past was pretty lopsided for Turkey too. i mean, sure we had relative 'warm' relations with the EU, USA and Israel, but our relations and trade was more favoring them than us. Besides, i have personally seen enough hypocritical crap from these parties (whether be it the Armenian 'genocide', pkk or Turkey's adventure on joining the EU, Israel and their military deals with us on some matters etc) towards Turkey, and im sure im not the only Turkish member here who thinks like that. I dont want my country to be allies with these or any parties on the condition of being silent and not caring about their policies. This situation brings @T-123456 's signature, which imo perfectly suits Turkey's 'golden path' situation, to my mind; 'to avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing', and this is a very wrong approach for a region where there are multiple dangerous factions and countries striving for influence, just like your country has been trying hard till this day to win influence worldwide to counter Russian (and Chinese in the future) influence. Instead, as allies, as Turkey and the USA, we should be able to criticize each other without resorting to accusations of Turkey becoming too independent/aggressive or whatever comes to the mind of an American. I think the key answer in a nutshell is that Turks have seen enough hypocritical/negative attitude from the EU, USA and Israel, and when you add a hothead like Erdogan, who loses his temper rather pretty fast, on top of it, things will get unnecessarily ugly indeed.

I certainly understand your point of view, but what I'm still missing is what Turkey is getting out of its current stance. Putting aside the flawed reasoning behind the Iraq invasion, the US aggressively intervenes abroad because it sees itself as the protector of the open-trade model that has existed since WWII. Instability and chaos undermine that, and no one else has stepped up to do the same. Yes, the US is imperfect and has made mistakes, but on the whole, it's difficult to find a hegemon as benevolent (and conveniently, the USSR provided a contemporary comparison).

If Turkey felt disrespected under such an arrangement, that's unfortunate, but Turkey derived tremendous benefits from its cordial relationships, both with the US and its neighbors. For all of the excitement over the developing Turkish defense industry, please keep in mind that the largest customer of Turkish defense exports is the US. Does it serve Turkey's interest to undermine this with its bizarre conspiracy theories about US interference in Turkish affairs, or trying to undermine the trust of NATO with its CPMIEC deal?

Furthermore, before Davos, Turkey was trusted enough to be turned to as a mediator between Syria and Israel, and increasingly, Israel and the Palestinians. Now, no one in the region trusts Turkey--and all for what? To show how independent your foreign policy is? Sacrificing Israel to buy goodwill as leader of the Muslim world, as much as it dismayed me, made some sense. But then, of course, Turkey destroyed all of that with its behavior towards Egypt and Syria. And it's done this because it thinks the US and Europe are hypocritical? How does that help Turkey?

In the end, I think Kaan's comment below is right. Turkey needs a vision that it can market--if it's zero problems, then creating problems doesn't make sense. If it's leadership of the Muslim world, there's a military aspect of that which Turkey has not embraced. Right now, I think no one besides Erdogan understands what Turkey is doing, and that's a problem--for Turkey. Having allies is not a bad thing, which Turkey might consider before further alienating those it has left.

It's hard not to admire Turkey and the progress it's made in the last decade, which makes all its recent blunders all the more baffling. Why throw away a good thing?

I certainly understand your point of view, but what I'm still missing is what Turkey is getting out of its current stance. Putting aside the flawed reasoning behind the Iraq invasion, the US aggressively intervenes abroad because it sees itself as the protector of the open-trade model that has existed since WWII. Instability and chaos undermine that, and no one else has stepped up to do the same. Yes, the US is imperfect and has made mistakes, but on the whole, it's difficult to find a hegemon as benevolent (and conveniently, the USSR provided a contemporary comparison).

If Turkey felt disrespected under such an arrangement, that's unfortunate, but Turkey derived tremendous benefits from its cordial relationships, both with the US and its neighbors. For all of the excitement over the developing Turkish defense industry, please keep in mind that the largest customer of Turkish defense exports is the US. Does it serve Turkey's interest to undermine this with its bizarre conspiracy theories about US interference in Turkish affairs, or trying to undermine the trust of NATO with its CPMIEC deal?

Furthermore, before Davos, Turkey was trusted enough to be turned to as a mediator between Syria and Israel, and increasingly, Israel and the Palestinians. Now, no one in the region trusts Turkey--and all for what? To show how independent your foreign policy is? Sacrificing Israel to buy goodwill as leader of the Muslim world, as much as it dismayed me, made some sense. But then, of course, Turkey destroyed all of that with its behavior towards Egypt and Syria. And it's done this because it thinks the US and Europe are hypocritical? How does that help Turkey?

In the end, I think Kaan's comment below is right. Turkey needs a vision that it can market--if it's zero problems, then creating problems doesn't make sense. If it's leadership of the Muslim world, there's a military aspect of that which Turkey has not embraced. Right now, I think no one besides Erdogan understands what Turkey is doing, and that's a problem--for Turkey. Having allies is not a bad thing, which Turkey might consider before further alienating those it has left.

It's hard not to admire Turkey and the progress it's made in the last decade, which makes all its recent blunders all the more baffling. Why throw away a good thing?
One word;Erdogan

We have a positive view of Pakistan and we have excellent relations.

On my recent trip to Istanbul, not only was I impressed by the culture and development but also how warmly I was received when I mentioned I m from Pakistan. Turkey is my love. Although I have been there only once just for a couple of days, I have felt belonged there.

Bud,read this first.

It will make it easier to understand the Turkish perspective.

Sure, this would make sense if that's what actually happened (the article is from 2011). Now that it's 2014, let's examine: does Turkey has more or less influence with its neighbors than before? Egypt and Syria, definitely less. For Iran, probably less. Israel, zero. Perhaps Iraq is doing better, but that's probably more due to the strengthening of the Iraqi government than Turkey--and even that is shaky because of the Kurdish oil dealings.

I admit that like those students, I don't actively follow Turkey like I follow other major countries, but it seems to me like Turkey was in a much better position diplomatically, if not economically, in 2006 than it is today.

Sure, this would make sense if that's what actually happened (the article is from 2011). Now that's 2014, let's examine: does Turkey has more or less influence with its neighbors than before? Egypt and Syria, definitely less. For Iran, probably less. Israel, zero. Perhaps Iraq is doing better, but that's probably more due to the strengthening of the Iraqi government than Turkey--and even that is shaky because of the Kurdish oil dealings.

I admit that like those students, I don't actively follow Turkey like I follow other major countries, but it seems to me like Turkey was in a much better position diplomatically, if not economically, in 2006 than it is today.
Was,Erdogan is the Boss.
Nothing we can do about it and i mean Nothing.

What the Turkish govt is trying to get out of this all is kinda a mystery for us common people too. Perhaps Erdogan wants to show the world that Turkey must be treated equally or perhaps he is after some rewards by diving his nose in foreign affairs. he's pretty unpredictable and Gul seems to have a hard time taming him actually :) On a more serious note, I do think that Turkey under Erdogan finally rightfully spoke up against Israel and some hypocritical European countries. That was needed for a change. I wonder, what specific actions of the Turkish govt made you think that Turkey is decreasing its ties with the US, EU and Israel?

As for our neighbors, the situation with them was not good to begin with anyway. Greece and Armenia speak for themselves. Bulgaria and Iran are suspicious/hostile, Syria was and will still be hostile. Iraq was so so, but is now a 'war' between choosing Kurdish or Arab side there. We shall see what the future will bring us.

Trade will almost always continue, even between rival countries. And who knows whether the US is actively or passively interfering in other countries. If i say yes, i could be a foil hat thinker. If i say no, i would be a naive believer. What i know is that if a superpower sees a danger, it will try to swing the situation to its favor through (in)direct interference. This has been happening a lot in history. Therefore im certain the US almost always had a finger wherever there was a chance for a pro-govt in a country. If Turkey would turn against the US today, would the US sit still and do nothing? Neither actively nor passively?

I dont have much time now, but i think we both can understand each other's point of view. Wish our countries can solve unnecessary obstacles and work together for a better relationship.

old but interesting.
Hot Spot: Turkey, Iraq, and Mosul
by Daniel Pipes
Middle East Quarterly
September 1995

Unnoticed by the international media, a brief controversy flared up in the Middle East during early May 1995, when Turkey's President Süleyman Demirel gave several interviews with Turkish journalists in which he called for a change in Turkey's borders with Iraq. While the controversy quickly disappeared, it raised an issue that could return.

Background

In the aftermath of World War I, the victorious Allies in August 1920 imposed the Treaty of Sèvres on the defeated Ottoman Empire. This treaty placed the Dardenelle Straits region under international control, then carved up Anatolia into Greek, Italian, French, Armenian, and Kurdish zones; Turks remained sovereign only in a rump state in northwest Anatolia to be constrained by many limits on its authority. Thanks to Kemal Atatürk's military victories in the period May 1919-October 1922, however, Sèvres was never implemented. Instead, the much more balanced Treaty of Lausanne was signed in July 1923, confirming most of Turkey's present borders.

Indeed, the Lausanne treaty specified all of Turkey's boundaries except one - that with Iraq, where only a provisional frontier (called the "Brussels line") was in place. This issue was left open for a "friendly arrangement to be concluded between Turkey and Great Britain within nine months." Failing that, the issue would be referred to the League of Nations. The Turkish government resisted giving up its old province Mosul, on several grounds: the political wishes of Mosul's inhabitants, its many Turkish-speakers, its oil reserves, and the direction of its trade. In addition, British forces were twelve miles away from the city of Mosul on 30 October 1918, the day London signed the Armistice of Mudros that ended its war with the Turks; this made the legality of the British presence in Mosul very dubious.

Despite Turkish claims to Mosul, London claimed the province in its entirety for Iraq; it also turned down Ankara's proposal that a plebiscite be held to measure views in the province. Unable to reach a "friendly arrangement," the two parties referred the dispute to the League of Nations, which endorsed Mosul's becoming part of Iraq. After prolonged tensions, which included threats of armed confrontation in the Turkish press, Ankara eventually signed a treaty in July 1926 that made the Brussels line the international frontier, leaving the Mosul region and its 600,000 or so inhabitants in Iraq.

The issue then died down for sixty years, only to revive during the Iraq-Iran War, when Saddam Husayn's government lost effective control of northern Iraq. Four times after May 1983, he gave permission for Turkish troops fighting insurgents from the Kurdish Workers' Party (Partiya Karkerana Kurdistan-PKK) to engage in hot pursuit onto Iraq territory. The Turkish press began to raise the issue of Turkey's claims to the Mosul region, and the government reportedly informed its allies of an intent to take control of Mosul in case the Iraqi regime should fall. The Kuwait war of 1991 and the subsequent collapse of Iraqi authority north of the 36th parallel stimulated Turkish warnings that it would not countenance Syrian or Iranian encroachments on the Mosul area. During the period March 20-May 2, 1995, in an effort dubbed Operation Steel, some 35,000 Turkish troops moved into northern Iraq attempting to clean out PKK strongholds.

The Demirel Statements

Just as the Turkish forces were leaving Iraqi territory, Demirel made a dramatic statement to an Istanbul newspaper:

The border is wrong. The Mosul Province was within the Ottoman Empire's territory. Had that place been a part of Turkey, none of the problems we are confronted with at the present time would have existed.In another meeting, with newspaper columnists, Demirel pointed to a map of the current border area and elaborated:The border on those heights is wrong. Actually, that is the boundary of the oil region. Turkey begins where that boundary ends. Geologists drew that line. It is not Turkey's national border. That is a matter that has to be rectified. I said some time ago that "the area will be infiltrated when we withdraw [from northern Iraq]."... The terrorists will return. We will be confronted with a similar situation in two or three months. So, let us correct the border line. Turkey cannot readjust its border with Iraq by itself. The border line on the heights has to be brought down to the lower areas. I only want to point out that the border line is wrong. Had it been in the low areas at the foot of the mountains, the [PKK] militants would not have been able to assemble in that region.In a third interview, Demirel accused the West of still wanting to implement the Treaty of Sèvres: "It wants the area beyond the Euphrates."
Middle Eastern Reactions

These comments roused immediate, strong reactions in the Middle East. A spokesman for Iraq's ruling Revolutionary Command Council said that "Iraq rejects any discussion of the issue and warns Turkey against any unilateral step that would breach the national border. Iraq will resist any act of this kind by all legitimate means." The Iraqi News Agency warned that "the Iraqi people, who are rallying around their leader, will resist any encroachment on Iraq's national borders and territorial integrity by all legitimate means. Mesopotamia will always remain united from the far north to the far south." An Iraqi daily warned the Turks that they are "playing a dangerous game and endangering the security of both Iraq and Turkey." A columnist revived the "sick man" sobriquet for Turkey and warned of Iraqi retaliation ("We will cut off the hands of those who try to harm us").

Opposition forces agreed with Baghdad on this issue. The Iraqi National Congress denounced Demirel's statement, which, it said, "runs counter to... the UN Charter and violates the policy of good neighborliness and the history of Mosul." The Kurdish response was wary. Bruska Shaways of the Democratic Party of Kurdistan (KDP) offered an analysis more than a condemnation: "If the Turks come [to northern Iraq], then they do not come because of the PKK but because of their old claim to the Ottoman province of Mosul in northern Iraq, which they would like to integrate into Turkey."

The Iranian regime made its sentiments known through the Supreme Assembly of the Islamic Revolution in Iraq (SAIRI), its anti-Saddam movement of Iraqis. SAIRI called the Turkish president's statement "a serious threat to the sovereignty of a state that enjoys internationally recognized borders," condemned "any threat to Iraq's sovereignty and geographic integrity," and called on the Turkish government "to give a satisfactory explanation for these statements and their motives and to apologize to the Iraqi people."

In Egypt, Foreign Minister 'Amr Musa declared his government's opposition to "any encroachment on Arab territorial integrity, including that of Iraq." An unnamed Egyptian official commented that "talk about historic rights to Arab territories is an old tune" and urged Ankara to refrain from "talking about historic rights" and "harming Iraqi territorial integrity." The chief editor of a Cairene daily characterized Demirel's words as a demand that part of Iraq be annexed to Turkey and blamed this mainly on Saddam's "sinful aggression against Kuwait." But what "really causes anger," he noted, "is the silence of the Western countries, notably the United States."

Retraction

Demirel responded to these and other comments with further interviews. On May 8, he backtracked slightly: "Talk of changing [the border] must proceed through dialogue and coordination with the countries concerned." (Use of the plural - "countries" - suggests bringing the United States into the discussions, which makes sense, for it partially controls Iraq north of the 36th parallel.) When this statement failed to quiet his critics, Demirel went further and effectively denied that he meant what he had earlier said:

The views I outlined have been misunderstood. The border between Turkey and Iraq is a problem. However, that state of affairs is not a matter that can be solved now. Turkey does not plan to use force to either solve the problem or gain territory. Nevertheless, something could have been achieved through the cooperation of the peoples of the two countries. That is what I suggested some time ago. We maintain that approach now.The Turkish ambassador in Tehran explicitly denied a Turkish intention to occupy Mosul and interpreted Demirel as having done nothing more than "implied that a minor change can be made with the concurrence of the two sides in some parts of the border." Demirel himself more emphatically retracted his earlier statements to an Arabic newspaper:
Turkey has no regional claims on any of its neighbors, including Iraq. The question of Mosul was settled in 1926 and it is not now considered an item on the Turkish foreign policy agenda.... Turkey has no policy about any new border arrangements and has no plans to reconsider such matters.This emphatic retraction evidently pleased Baghdad, which replied with soothing words. An Iraqi parliamentarian visiting Ankara declared the two countries had turned over a new leaf in their relations. Vice President Taha Yasin Ramadan declared his government's interest in "strong good-neighborly ties with Turkey." And so, the incident apparently came to an end, at least temporarily. But nothing was actually resolved and the Mosul issue could flare up into a crisis, especially if the Iraqi government continues to weaken.

Hot Spot: Turkey, Iraq, and Mosul :: Daniel Pipes

Tunisia okays cooperation deal with Turkey | Nation | Daily Sabah

Tunisia's Constituent Assembly on Tuesday approved a cooperation agreement with Turkey aimed at setting up cultural centers.

By 135-12 votes, lawmakers endorsed the agreement, which aims to bolster cooperation and strategic partnerships between Tunisia and Turkey. Three MPs abstained from the voting.

Addressing the assembly, Tunisian Culture Minister Mourad Sakli said Tunisia needed such cultural centers to bolster its cultural relations.

a Tunisian member was said that on facebook group, "we can see T129 in Tunisian army, Maybe"

I can only see them buying models :)
eW22Ym.jpg

Israel's prime minister backs Kurdish independence
Binyamin Netanyahu claims creation of Kurdish state would aid in formation of alliance of moderate powers in Middle East

The Israeli prime minister, Binyamin Netanyahu, has voiced support for Kurdish statehood, taking a position that appears to clash with the US preference to keep sectarian war-torn Iraq united.

Pointing to the mayhem in Iraq, Netanyahu on Sunday called for the establishment of an independent Kurdistan as part of a broader alliance with moderate forces across the region, adding that Israel would have to maintain a long-term military presence in the West Bank even after any future peace agreement with the Palestinians.

Netanyahu laid out his positions in a policy speech that marked his most detailed response to the gains made by Sunni extremists fighting in Iraq. His endorsement of Kurdish independence, as well as his tough position on the West Bank, put him at odds with prevailing international opinion.

In a speech to a Tel Aviv thinktank, Netanyahu said that the rise of both al-Qaida-backed Sunni extremists, as well as Iranian-backed Shia forces, had created the opportunity for "enhanced regional cooperation". He said Jordan, which is facing a growing threat of spillover from conflict in neighboring Iraq and Syria, and the Kurds, who control an oil-rich autonomous region of northern Iraq, should be bolstered. "We should ... support the Kurdish aspiration for independence," Netanyahu told the thinktank, going on to call the Kurds "a nation of fighters [who] have proved political commitment and are worthy of independence".

Israel has maintained discreet military, intelligence and business ties with the Kurds since the 1960s, seeing in the minority ethnic group a buffer against shared Arab adversaries. The Kurds have seized on recent sectarian chaos in Iraq to expand their autonomous northern territory to include Kirkuk, which sits on vast oil deposits that could make the independent state many dream of economically viable. The Kurds have long held aspirations for independence, but have said seeking nationhood is not realistic at the current time. The international community, including neighboring Turkey as well as the US and other western countries, are opposed to the breakup of Iraq.

Since the outbreak of hostilities in Iraq, Washington has been insistent that it the crumbling unity in the country restored. Last Tuesday, the US secretary of state, John Kerry, visited Iraqi Kurdish leaders and urged them to seek political integration with Baghdad.

Netanyahu's call for a long-term military presence in the West Bank also risked triggering international criticism. The Palestinians seek all of the West Bank, captured by Israel in the 1967 Six-Day war, as the heartland of a future independent state, a position that is largely endorsed by the international community. The territory is flanked by Israel on the west and Jordan on the east.

Netanyahu said that given the threats in the region, Israel would have to maintain a military presence throughout the West Bank for the foreseeable future. "We must be able to stop the terrorism and fundamentalism that can reach us from the east at the Jordan line and not in the suburbs of Tel Aviv. He went on to say that whoever does not accept Israel's need for a security presence "isn't facing reality".

While conceding that there might someday be a peace agreement creating an independent Palestinian state, he argued that Israel could not turn over its security needs to either the Palestinians or international forces. He said Palestinian forces are "not capable" of ensuring security, and foreign forces would eventually withdraw. "Therefore we must understand that in any future agreement with the Palestinians, Israel will have to continue controlling security in the territory up to Jordan for a very long time," he said.

Israel's prime minister backs Kurdish independence | World news | theguardian.com

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any thoughts?

Dude, apparently AKP is ok with it........... I seriously don't get Erdogan sometimes......... sort of ticks me off............. :unsure:

Turkey Would Support Iraqi Kurds' Bid For Self-Rule, Spokesman Says In Historic Remark

Israel's prime minister backs Kurdish independence
Binyamin Netanyahu claims creation of Kurdish state would aid in formation of alliance of moderate powers in Middle East

The Israeli prime minister, Binyamin Netanyahu, has voiced support for Kurdish statehood, taking a position that appears to clash with the US preference to keep sectarian war-torn Iraq united.

Pointing to the mayhem in Iraq, Netanyahu on Sunday called for the establishment of an independent Kurdistan as part of a broader alliance with moderate forces across the region, adding that Israel would have to maintain a long-term military presence in the West Bank even after any future peace agreement with the Palestinians.

Netanyahu laid out his positions in a policy speech that marked his most detailed response to the gains made by Sunni extremists fighting in Iraq. His endorsement of Kurdish independence, as well as his tough position on the West Bank, put him at odds with prevailing international opinion.

In a speech to a Tel Aviv thinktank, Netanyahu said that the rise of both al-Qaida-backed Sunni extremists, as well as Iranian-backed Shia forces, had created the opportunity for "enhanced regional cooperation". He said Jordan, which is facing a growing threat of spillover from conflict in neighboring Iraq and Syria, and the Kurds, who control an oil-rich autonomous region of northern Iraq, should be bolstered. "We should ... support the Kurdish aspiration for independence," Netanyahu told the thinktank, going on to call the Kurds "a nation of fighters [who] have proved political commitment and are worthy of independence".

Israel has maintained discreet military, intelligence and business ties with the Kurds since the 1960s, seeing in the minority ethnic group a buffer against shared Arab adversaries. The Kurds have seized on recent sectarian chaos in Iraq to expand their autonomous northern territory to include Kirkuk, which sits on vast oil deposits that could make the independent state many dream of economically viable. The Kurds have long held aspirations for independence, but have said seeking nationhood is not realistic at the current time. The international community, including neighboring Turkey as well as the US and other western countries, are opposed to the breakup of Iraq.

Since the outbreak of hostilities in Iraq, Washington has been insistent that it the crumbling unity in the country restored. Last Tuesday, the US secretary of state, John Kerry, visited Iraqi Kurdish leaders and urged them to seek political integration with Baghdad.

Netanyahu's call for a long-term military presence in the West Bank also risked triggering international criticism. The Palestinians seek all of the West Bank, captured by Israel in the 1967 Six-Day war, as the heartland of a future independent state, a position that is largely endorsed by the international community. The territory is flanked by Israel on the west and Jordan on the east.

Netanyahu said that given the threats in the region, Israel would have to maintain a military presence throughout the West Bank for the foreseeable future. "We must be able to stop the terrorism and fundamentalism that can reach us from the east at the Jordan line and not in the suburbs of Tel Aviv. He went on to say that whoever does not accept Israel's need for a security presence "isn't facing reality".

While conceding that there might someday be a peace agreement creating an independent Palestinian state, he argued that Israel could not turn over its security needs to either the Palestinians or international forces. He said Palestinian forces are "not capable" of ensuring security, and foreign forces would eventually withdraw. "Therefore we must understand that in any future agreement with the Palestinians, Israel will have to continue controlling security in the territory up to Jordan for a very long time," he said.

Israel's prime minister backs Kurdish independence | World news | theguardian.com

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any thoughts?

Kurds say take control of Iraq's Kirkuk oilfields

(Reuters) - Kurdish forces have taken full control of the Kirkuk oilfields in northern Iraq from Baghdad, a senior source in the Kurdistan Regional Government (KRG) said on Friday.

"The KRG was forced to act to protect Iraq's infrastructure after learning of attempts by Iraq oil ministry officials to sabotage it," said a senior KRG source on condition of anonymity.

"From now on it will be under KRG control and we expect operations to start up soon," adding forces of the KRG's Oil Protection Force had moved in on Friday.

The source said that the Iraq Oil Ministry had planned to sabotage a new pipeline that was under construction to link Kirkuk's three main oil fields, two of which were previously operated by the central government-controlled North Oil Company.

The national oil ministry in Baghdad condemned the takeover at Kirkuk and called on the Kurds to withdraw immediately to avoid "dire consequences".

Kurds say take control of Iraq's Kirkuk oilfields| Reuters

Turkish Trade and Investment With Africa

Analysis
Turkey's efforts to broaden its presence in Africa through trade and investment moved forward April 11, when Senegal established a business council with the republic. On April 9, Kenya opened an embassy in Ankara and signed several agreements on trade and security cooperation. However, the growing conflict between Fethullah Gulen's religious network known as the Hizmet movement and Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan's Justice and Development Party has the potential to damage or even reverse potential gains in Africa. This developing rift prompted Erdogan to order Turkish schools run by the Gulen movement overseas to be shut down. Problematically, Hizmet nongovernmental organizations and schools have over time become the main conduit for Turkish "soft power," enabling Ankara to establish and maintain relations with African states.

Turkey's activity in Africa over the past decade, most notably in East Africa in recent years, has largely depended on Hizmet organizations providing humanitarian aid, education and health care. This presence has enabled many deals such as trade agreements, direct investment by Turkish industry, support in the United Nations and even security cooperation between Turkey and African countries. As a result, there has been a 527 percent increase in the value of Turkish exports to sub-Saharan Africa and a 189 percent increase in the value of imports over the last decade. The percentage of Turkish exports to sub-Saharan Africa has also doubled in the past 10 years.

Turkish schools run by the Gulen movement in Africa often provide a higher standard of education than local schools and are seen by African leaders as a good method of educating the future elite. The global Hizmet school system is also an important source of revenue for the Gulen movement, which is one of the reasons Erdogan's Justice and Development Party perceives it as a threat. Unlike Azerbaijan and the Kurdistan Regional Government in Iraq, where Turkey maintains deeper strategic interests, African countries with weaker ties to Ankara will be more reluctant to give up the developmental assistance they have received from Hizmet.

Back
Top Bottom