What's new

Turkish Geopolitics/ Foreign Affairs

This is a good summary of Turkish aid to somalia. (Its in turkish but for none turkish speakers the footage is sufficient to understand all of the aid provided by turkey)

Synopsis of the Turkish Foreign Policy

The era in which we live is an age of rapid changes. Accordingly, foreign policy issues have also gained a more complex and complicated character. Today, taking the necessary steps in keeping with the speed of these changes and developments is the most important task laid before decision makers. In such an environment, developments show us that international legitimacy, economic interdependence, respect for human rights, pursuing a sustainable environmental policy and harmony between people belonging to different religious and ethnic origins stand as the most important tools to build lasting peace, stability and prosperity. The realities of our time also compel us to analyze international dynamics with a global perspective of peace.

Located in one of the important intersections of different foreign policy dynamics, this extraordinary process also shapes Turkey's basic foreign policy issues. In light of the many opportunities created by globalization, we were in fact hoping for the emergence of a new environment conducive to lasting peace. However traditional security issues as well as new and evolving risks and threats such as terrorism, proliferation of weapons of mass destruction, cross-border organized crime and illegal immigration continue to overshadow our optimism. The Afro-Eurasian geography where Turkey is situated at the epicenter is an area where such opportunities and risks interact in the most intensive way. Under these circumstances, to follow a stable and constructive Turkish foreign policy has become all the more important. History has shown us that great civilizations has prospered in peace in our region when the correct steps are taken and the existing potential is appropriately utilized, while the cost of mistakes can be devastating for the entire world.

It is with this understanding that Turkey pursues a dynamic and visionary foreign policy with a view to steering the developments in a positive direction, in a region where the impact of global changes are greatest. In this context, Turkey’s multi-dimensional, constructive, proactive, realistic and responsible foreign policy is one of the most important assets in realizing its national and international goals.

As a result of this principled approach and its continued efforts, as well as thanks to its increasing means and capabilities Turkey has in fact become a leading country that works to expand the sphere of peace and prosperity in its region; generate stability and security; help establish an order that paves the way for prosperity, human development and lasting stability.

Rise of Turkey to such a prominent position is also a consequence of Turkey’s solid stance that vigorously seeks legitimacy and of the belief that its own security and stability can only be achieved through the security and stability of the region. Behind this stance lies intensive efforts and major initiatives intended for the creation of an environment of sustainable peace, security and tranquility in the region and beyond.

Thanks to this foreign policy vision, Turkey is today considered as a country that not only safeguards but also disseminates human rights, democracy, rule of law and social equity.

Turkey's deep-rooted tradition of statehood and democracy, its advantages emanating from geography and history, its young and educated population and dynamic economy plays a key role in the success of this policy.

Turkish foreign policy is pursued by mobilizing many and complementary political, economic, humanitarian and cultural means and its sphere of interest has achieved a global scale.

In this framework, Turkey is determined to become a full member of the European Union as part of its bicentennial effort to reach the highest level of contemporary civilization. Furthermore, believing that an ever enlarging NATO has much more to do in serving global peace, Turkey is striving to keep the spirit of alliance high at all times.

On the other hand, attaching particular importance to its Transatlantic ties Turkey is strengthening its relations both with the US and the European countries; while further developing its relations with the countries in the Balkans, Middle East and North Africa, Southern Caucasus, South Asia and Central Asia by making use of its close ties. In a world where globalization renders distances increasingly insignificant, Turkey is also deepening its policies of reaching out to Sub-Saharan Africa, Latin America and Asia-Pacific regions that is home to many emerging powers.

In other words, Turkey does not only develop its bilateral and regional relations in its close neighborhood, but seeks to create a positive synergy on a much wider scale and thus aims at contributing to global peace, stability and security.

Cognizant of the fact that global problems can only be resolved through cooperation on a global scale, Turkey is also conducting an active diplomacy in the multilateral fora, notably within the United Nations, the unique universal forum in which such cooperation is realized through broadest possible participation and on a robust basis of legitimacy. As regards the UN, for instance, after concluding its non-permanent membership in the Security Council during 2009-2010, Turkey announced yet again its candidacy for a non-permanent seat in the Council this time for the years 2015-2016. The aim is to bring an added value to the work of the Council and shoulder more effectively its global responsibilities. On the other hand, taking account of the direct relationship between security and development, Turkey has started assuming an active role in global development diplomacy efforts, too. In this regard, Turkey hosted the Fourth United Nations Conference on Least Developed Countries, between 9th and 13th of May in Istanbul and contributed to the adoption of the Program of Action for the decade 2011-2020.

In sum, Turkey is aware of the necessity to foster the linkages between political stability, economic welfare and cultural harmony in order to attain sustainable global peace. To this end, Turkey is committed to further enhance political dialogue with all countries, search for new economic and commercial areas of cooperation and increase its humanitarian aid and assistance to the developing countries. As an emerging energy hub and a major transit country, Turkey plays an important role with respect to global energy security. Likewise, as an active member of the G-20 which gave a new impulse to the quest for global governance Turkey is pursuing a more representative and democratic global system. Turkey also assumes active role in endeavors to foster mutual respect and common values among different cultures and religions. In this regard the Alliance of Civilizations initiative, cosponsored by Turkey&Spain, represents the strongest response ever to the scenarios of the so-called “clashes of civilizations”.

On the other hand, Turkey has added a relatively new aspect to its foreign policy in recent years which indeed complements its global vision via helping third countries in resolving their domestic as well as bilateral problems through facilitation and reconciliation. Indeed Turkey is now playing a more active role compared to the past in mediation and resolution of conflicts. While doing so Turkey prioritizes opportunities and initiatives improving cooperation and friendships between states based on a win-win principle rather than perceived problems and threats.

Overall, Turkey conducts a foreign policy guided by the principle of “Peace at Home, Peace in the World” as set out by Mustafa Kemal Atatürk. It has a broad and constructive vision and is committed to make use of all its means and capabilities towards this end. Turkey will resolutely continue its efforts in this direction which will not only guarantee its national interests but will help achieve the common goals of humanity.

With all due respect, this appears to be a recycling of the failed "zero problems" policy. Moreover, with Erdogan constantly browbeating his counterparts in Syria, Egypt, Israel, Europe, and the US, it's unclear what sort of cooperation he's looking for. Do you foresee any practical changes that would enable Turkey to actualize the synopsis put forth by its ministry of foreign affairs, or is this for domestic consumption only?

With all due respect, this appears to be a recycling of the failed "zero problems" policy. Moreover, with Erdogan constantly browbeating his counterparts in Syria, Egypt, Israel, Europe, and the US, it's unclear what sort of cooperation he's looking for. Do you foresee any practical changes that would enable Turkey to actualize the synopsis put forth by its ministry of foreign affairs, or is this for domestic consumption only?
As long as Turkey grows and becomes assertive, there wont be 0 problems with its neighbors. Our neighbors are already suspicious or hostile towards us due history, so we shouldnt expect much good from them in the first place anyway, on the contrary we should expect more trouble wherever Turkey will reach out in the world. Its the mistake of Davutoglu for even coming up with such an utter bullshit '0 problems' approach. There might be a small chance for 0 problems though, and i think we can achieve that if Turkey silently sits back and focus purely on itself. however as Turkey grows and wants to be more assertive, thats not gonna happen anymore. Besides, unlike in the past, im really grateful that we now have some Turkish politicians who dare to criticize Israel and the EU too.

As long as Turkey grows and becomes assertive, there wont be 0 problems with its neighbors. Our neighbors are already suspicious or hostile towards us due history, so we shouldnt expect much good from them in the first place anyway, on the contrary we should expect more trouble wherever Turkey will reach out in the world. Its the mistake of Davutoglu for even coming up with such an utter bullshit '0 problems' approach. There might be a small chance for 0 problems though, and i think we can achieve that if Turkey silently sits back and focus purely on itself. however as Turkey grows and wants to be more assertive, thats not gonna happen anymore. Besides, unlike in the past, im really grateful that we now have some Turkish politicians who dare to criticize Israel and the EU too.

China essentially pursued a "zero problems" approach for the last 15 years, and prospered. Turkey, for a time, also pursued a "zero problems" approach, and prospered. Then, for whatever reason, Turkey/Erdogan decided that regional political influence should be the priority. It's clear that this was based on the domestic popularity of taking a more aggressive stance. Your own comment demonstrates this.

What I am trying to understand is, what accounts for this change in outlook, and what do you hope to achieve? The benefits of "zero problems" are easy to understand: trade and economic growth. The benefits of Turkish Supremicism seem less clear, other than massaging one's own ego.

Again, I mean no disrespect. I am genuinely trying to understand the Turkish perspective, as from my American perspective, it seems like Turkey was on the golden path, with warm relations with its neighbors, Europe, and the US--and then arbitrarily decided to trash it. I don't understand why.

China essentially pursued a "zero problems" approach for the last 15 years, and prospered. Turkey, for a time, also pursued a "zero problems" approach, and prospered. Then, for whatever reason, Turkey/Erdogan decided that regional political influence should be the priority. It's clear that this was based on the domestic popularity of taking a more aggressive stance. Your own comment demonstrates this.

What I am trying to understand is, what accounts for this change in outlook, and what do you hope to achieve? The benefits of "zero problems" are easy to understand: trade and economic growth. The benefits of Turkish Supremicism seem less clear, other than massaging one's own ego.

Again, I mean no disrespect. I am genuinely trying to understand the Turkish perspective, as from my American perspective, it seems like Turkey was on the golden path, with warm relations with its neighbors, Europe, and the US--and then arbitrarily decided to trash it. I don't understand why.

The politics in ME is hard to understand for the people who are alien to the region, changing on a daily basis..One day its all unicorns and rainbows, next day you are on the brick of a war..The dynamics i.e. balance of power, sunni-shia rivalry, etc. in the region showed us harshly that, one cant just have "zero problems" with its neigbours in the ME region, at least on the long run..

With Europe, we never had warm relations with them and we never will have unless they come down from their ivory tower for four quarters to show us the way(sarcasm here)

With US, i dont think our relations are trashed..Sure, there are some differences but i wouldnt call it as you put it

Turkey never had "warm" relations with its neigbours, maybe except for Georgia and Syria back in the day. But you are right, it has never been this bad either.

As for your question, why Turkish government followed such policies is purely because of their self agenda. It was for domestic political gains. Destructive as it may be in foreign affairs, it was quite fruitful for AKP. The best example is the Davos the rise of the Sultan. It has significantly increased Erdogan's popularity both inside and outside the country. Then came the huge miscalculation in Syria, Egypt and now it is continuing with Iraq over oil...

The golden path you described was also a period of Turkey mostly being dependent on western countries, whether trade or militarily. But times change and as countries become stronger economically and militarily, they will often try to assert themselves more internationally. Sure the current Turkish govt stuck their nose in some unnecessary businesses abroad, and they deserve strong criticism on that one.
To be honest, the situation in the past was pretty lopsided for Turkey too. i mean, sure we had relative 'warm' relations with the EU, USA and Israel, but our relations and trade was more favoring them than us. Besides, i have personally seen enough hypocritical crap from these parties (whether be it the Armenian 'genocide', pkk or Turkey's adventure on joining the EU, Israel and their military deals with us on some matters etc) towards Turkey, and im sure im not the only Turkish member here who thinks like that. I dont want my country to be allies with these or any parties on the condition of being silent and not caring about their policies. This situation brings @T-123456 's signature, which imo perfectly suits Turkey's 'golden path' situation, to my mind; 'to avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing', and this is a very wrong approach for a region where there are multiple dangerous factions and countries striving for influence, just like your country has been trying hard till this day to win influence worldwide to counter Russian (and Chinese in the future) influence. Instead, as allies, as Turkey and the USA, we should be able to criticize each other without resorting to accusations of Turkey becoming too independent/aggressive or whatever comes to the mind of an American. I think the key answer in a nutshell is that Turks have seen enough hypocritical/negative attitude from the EU, USA and Israel, and when you add a hothead like Erdogan, who loses his temper rather pretty fast, on top of it, things will get unnecessarily ugly indeed.

The only way Turkey can become successful in the future (foreign policy wise) is if it doesn't get involved in regional and international affairs for the next 10 years until we build up our economic and military strength more. We should keep to our selves but if someone messes with us we should react strongly. For example after syria shot down our jet we should have reacted more assertively even though we did covertly by aiding rebels. Armenia shot a Turkish Shepherd ad we didn't react with force which was a mistake.

Basically we need to let people know that we are minding our own business but if you mess with us expect a harsh response. In the meantime we build up our strength in preparation for expanding our influence into the balkans, central asia, and the caucasus. The middle east isn't even worth getting heavily involved in. I say only strong economic relations and if someone wants to buy our weapons then they are welcome to.

Also we need a vision for the future. Do we want to unite with central asian states? Do we want to keep to our selves? Do we want to lead the islamic world? Do we want to genuinely become part of europe? I think the people need to be able to see a clear vision for the future.

How does Turkey perceive its relations with Pakistan?

What do Turks think of Pakistan.

I m asking this strictly from my Turkish brothers to answer these questions from a Turkish perspective.

I m asking this strictly from my Turkish brothers to answer these questions from a Turkish perspective.
We have a positive view of Pakistan and we have excellent relations.

Generally speaking, any Turk who did some reading about historical relations of these countries and/or watches the development of the relationship between these countries in these time will know the value of Pakistan, a very important friend of Turkey who stood with us in harsh times. Really, it's one of the few countries that we can depend on when shit hits the fan.

Bud,read this first.
Turkey’s Shift to the East as an Asset to the US: Views from American students | Transatlantic Academy
It will make it easier to understand the Turkish perspective.

Back
Top Bottom