What's new

Turkish Engine Programs

Guys, in 2017 December, TAİS said that they are going to invest for national naval engine project.
https://www.marinedealnews.com/turkiyenin-ilk-deniz-tipi-motorunu-tais-motor-uretecek/

5 Months later in April 2018, they gave another statement and said that they are preparing for investing in the factory. First prototype would emerge in 2.5 years.
https://www.hurriyet.com.tr/yazarlar/vahap-munyar/milli-gemiye-milli-motor-40796139

I could find no further information in the internet about this issue. Anyone has info?

Defence Turkey: In the recent period, you founded a company called TAIS Engine Inc. to supply diesel engines to military ships. Could you please enlighten our readers about the activities you have conducted so far on the engine and the qualified manpower established?

Doğan BEŞCAN: The core team established within TAIS Engine Inc. performs the feasibility studies. The project that will start with medium speed large (6,000-10,000 Kw) diesel main engines will continue with smaller (1,000-2,000 Kw) diesel auxiliary and main engines.
https://www.defenceturkey.com/en/co...-an-innovative-and-competitive-structure-3633

Defence Turkey: In the recent period, you founded a company called TAIS Engine Inc. to supply diesel engines to military ships. Could you please enlighten our readers about the activities you have conducted so far on the engine and the qualified manpower established?

Doğan BEŞCAN: The core team established within TAIS Engine Inc. performs the feasibility studies. The project that will start with medium speed large (6,000-10,000 Kw) diesel main engines will continue with smaller (1,000-2,000 Kw) diesel auxiliary and main engines.
https://www.defenceturkey.com/en/co...-an-innovative-and-competitive-structure-3633
So, as of September 2019 they are still doing feasibility studies...seems like nothing will come out this initiative.

Honestly Naval Engines are the least of our worries, They are commercial products that you can buy from anywhere. We need to these resources on other projects. It would be waste of tax payers money or These companies money. They can invest into new manufacturing methods in their industry Or somewhere else.

TEI PG115 would be an interesting choice

since Mr Akşit's statement 1,5 years ago, i carefully watched all downed Bayraktars to recognize their type of engine. i found only ROTAX. initally i thought Bayraktar uses this TEI PG115 because he said 15.000 hrs flight time(that time). it was to much, so i thought like that. Haluk bayraktar said their TB2 is %100 national product in a interview. and one more thing, we have herons and it is said that their engines were nationalized. i dont know why TEI kept secret of that engine(PG 115).

since Mr Akşit's statement 1,5 years ago, i carefully watched all downed Bayraktars to recognize their type of engine. i found only ROTAX. initally i thought Bayraktar uses this TEI PG115 because he said 15.000 hrs flight time(that time). it was to much, so i thought like that. Haluk bayraktar said their TB2 is %100 national product in a interview. and one more thing, we have herons and it is said that their engines were nationalized. i dont know why TEI kept secret of that engine(PG 115).

Heron --Rotax-- Turkey story ... TEI's secret message of go ef yourselves was delivered that day by Mr. Aksit

Honestly Naval Engines are the least of our worries, They are commercial products that you can buy from anywhere. We need to these resources on other projects. It would be waste of tax payers money or These companies money. They can invest into new manufacturing methods in their industry Or somewhere else.

Actually it might be a good investment. Our country is producing ships for civil market too. (especially for logistics) Having know how for naval engines might boost our income at the long term. And having engine know how on any kind of platform is always a good thing.

EaUHhy4WkAEh_A1.jpeg

EaUHiWyXYAAyNVF.jpeg

TEI - TS1400 Turboşaft Motor Geliştirme Projesi - 8 Mart 2017 tarihinde resmi olarak başlatıldı. - 17 Aralık 2019'de Çekirdek Motor kabul süreci başarıyla tamamlandı. - 1500 BG güce ulaştı. - 2021'de T-625 Gökbey helikopterlerine entegre edilerek uçuş testlerine başlanacak.
Translated from Turkish by
TEI - TS1400 Turboshaft Engine Development Project - 8 It was officially launched in March 2017. - Core Process acceptance process was successfully completed on December 17, 2019. - It reached 1500 hp power. - In 2021, flight tests will be started by integrating with T-625 Gökbey helicopters.

Last edited:
I didn’t read anything about production or Such, but they have only 300 ppl in the company, so I imagine it’s off the shelf engine solution.
T55 produces 4800 SHP.
I guess some reserve engines for our CH-47 Chinooks.

Back
Top Bottom