What's new

Turkish Engine Programs

ANKA Received Indigenous Engine

Unmanned Aerial Vehicle ANKA, designed and produced by Turkish Aerospace Industries (TAI), has now got an indigenous engine. Two PD-170 engines developed by TAI Motor Company (TEI) in Eskişehir were brought to TAI facilities to be tested on ANKA. According to the information obtained by C4Defence, ground tests are being conducted of ANKA, where a stronger indigenous engine is installed. Indigenous engine equipped ANKA's first flight is expected by the end of February. The platform will have many additional advantages such as being able to fly higher, longer and carry more payload.

The project, signed between the Undersecretariat for Defence Industries (SSM) and TEI on 27 December 2012, included the development of a turbodiesel aeronautical engine with superior technical features for use in MALE class unmanned aerial vehicles through domestic facilities.

According to the experiments, the 2,1-litre diesel engine produced 170 horsepower between 0 and 20 thousand feet (about 6 thousand 600 meters) at 2300 cycles. The altitude in which the engine's power began to fall as the amount of oxygen decreased was measured as 20 thousand feet as expected. The engine produced 130 horsepower at an altitude of 30,000 feet. At present, the current engine used on ANKA produces 155 horsepower between 0 and 11 thousand feet altitude. With this comparison, the critical altitude for the TEI's engine is twice as high compared to the current engine. At an altitude of 30,000 feet, it consumes 10-11 percent less fuel than the current engine while producing power twice as high. The TEI's engine is 5 kg heavier than the current engine, but the weight-power ratio also improves as it provides more power for this weight with flight performance. While the current engine rises to an altitude of 30 thousand feet with difficulty, the newly developed engine is not limited to 30 thousand feet and even easily flies at 40 thousand feet altitude. In this case, ANKA will have an engine that can reach 40 thousand feet altitude (about 13 thousand 300 meters).

9324e627-bcd0-4c2e-b540-b7dcb7452934.jpg

http://en.c4defence.com/Agenda/anka-received-indigenous-engine/5753/1

What about endurance and range?

That will depend on the drone's fuel tank. He was just speaking of the new engine developed. The more appropriate parameter is fuel consumption per hour at different power output
most of the engines loose power after 20-22k feet height. after 30K its hard for them to work.
If it is that easy to make, WHy 1.3 billion India doesn't have one?
Turkey would be one of unique country that will use piston engine to go over 40k height with UAVs

most of the engines loose power after 20-22k feet height. after 30K its hard for them to work.
If it is that easy to make, WHy 1.3 billion India doesn't have one?
Turkey would be one of unique country that will use piston engine to go over 40k height with UAVs

Who told that India doesn't have piston engine? India prefers to use turboprop engine instead of piston. Making piston engine is easy. It is just a car engine.

You are absolutely wrong that piston engine loses power at 25000feet.2WW2 used mostly piston engines and some planes flew that high

Who told that India doesn't have piston engine? India prefers to use turboprop engine instead of piston. Making piston engine is easy. It is just a car engine.

You are absolutely wrong that piston engine loses power at 25000feet.2WW2 used mostly piston engines and some planes flew that high
can you show me a single UAV that can fly to 30,000 or 40000 feet high?
instead of talking, come up with proof, we know what is piston engine...

Having Piston engine is one thing and having a piston engine work at 30-40k height is another where there is very thin air and less oxygen as mentioned. I can go more into details but im not sure if you really dont understand the difference or just trolling..

can you show me a single UAV that can fly to 30,000 or 40000 feet high?
instead of talking, come up with proof, we know what is piston engine...

Having Piston engine is one thing and having a piston engine work at 30-40k height is another where there is very thin air and less oxygen as mentioned. I can go more into details but im not sure if you really dont understand the difference or just trolling..
I will give 1 example of piston engine working at 40000 feet - Spitfire plane of WW2. This was not UAV but I am only mentioning piston engine efficiency at 40k feet.

About high altitude drone- airbus zephyr is a solar powered drone that travels at 70000 feet and is run by solar power. Drones - ALTUS and Phantom eye runs on piston engine with service altitude of 65000 feet.

The ability to work at higher altitude requires a technology called 'turbocharge'. This is WW2 technology. Many cars also feature this technology. Read about Turbocharge

I will give 1 example of piston engine working at 40000 feet - Spitfire plane of WW2. This was not UAV but I am only mentioning piston engine efficiency at 40k feet.

About high altitude drone- airbus zephyr is a solar powered drone that travels at 70000 feet and is run by solar power. Drones - ALTUS and Phantom eye runs on piston engine with service altitude of 65000 feet.

The ability to work at higher altitude requires a technology called 'turbocharge'. This is WW2 technology. Many cars also feature this technology. Read about Turbocharge

TEI PD-170’s speciality comes from it’s very special ‘TEI developed’ turbocharger already.

airbus zephyr- are you kidding me? we dont have a competition who can go higher, but who can bring the radar, thermal cameras and rockets to that height... Do you feel the difference and even feel shamed for choosing it?
web.uav.zephyr.large.9.jpg

You cannot compare those pistone engines with the one we mention, as SPitfire used Rolls-Royce Merlin v12 had 1470HP and i hope you understand how much fuel you need to keep it for 24 hours in the air...
We talk here about 2L piston engine families..

as it was mentioned at airbus zephyr website, it is offering voice, data communications both line of sight and beyond the line of sight

airbus zephyr- are you kidding me? we dont have a competition who can go higher, but who can bring the radar, thermal cameras and rockets to that height... Do you feel the difference and even feel shamed for choosing it?
web.uav.zephyr.large.9.jpg

You cannot compare those pistone engines with the one we mention, as SPitfire used Rolls-Royce Merlin v12 had 1470HP and i hope you understand how much fuel you need to keep it for 24 hours in the air...
We talk here about 2L piston engine families..

as it was mentioned at airbus zephyr website, it is offering voice, data communications both line of sight and beyond the line of sight
Picture related makes me think that we should've gone with a hybrid solution.
Perhaps it could stay in the air a bit longer, recharging it's battery with photovoltaic panels and perhaps regeneration from the propeller during dives.

Picture related makes me think that we should've gone with a hybrid solution.
Perhaps it could stay in the air a bit longer, recharging it's battery with photovoltaic panels and perhaps regeneration from the propeller during dives.
A battery this size to power a UAV for a significant amount of time would be just an extra weight in a hybrid solution, something you dont want in a UAV.
A langer fuel tank would be more efficient if you just want to increase the range.

Energy density:

Gasoline - 34.2 MJ/L
Lithium-ion battery - 0.9–2.63 MJ/L

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_density

Maybe we should develop a Deuterium fusion reactor for Anka? :D

A battery this size to power a UAV for a significant amount of time would be just an extra weight in a hybrid solution, something you dont want in a UAV.
A langer fuel tank would be more efficient if you just want to increase the range.

Energy density:

Gasoline - 46.4 MJ/kg
Lithium-ion battery - 0.36 MJ/kg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_density

Maybe we should develop a Deuterium fusion reactor for Anka? :D
I was thinking about a very small battery but better recharge capability.

a modular photovoltaic pannel pack that you can remove during cloudy days perhaps

ANKA stays in the air 24 hours, you could perhaps fly during the day with half solar - half diesel energy

Back
Top Bottom