What's new

Turkic World Photos/News/Discussions.

well we dont ues ıt at all arka means back dash some tıme can means dıstance long so ı just guess

yes we use yoldosh

do u use boydosh for all fırends whom are gırls ?

So yeah it must be an Anatolian word then, its meaning must be related to turning your back to each other, each one protects other's back, , like fighting back to back :D
connor-aveline.jpeg

Nope, technically thinking, if we had the word Boydaş it would mean "same height as each other" , like how Adaş means sharing same name.

Do you understand Kazakh or Krygyz, for at least a bit ?

So yeah it must be an Anatolian word then, its meaning must be related to turning your back to each other, each one protects other's back, , like fighting back to back :D
connor-aveline.jpeg

Nope, technically thinking, if we had the word Boydaş it would mean "same height as each other" , like how Adaş means sharing same name.
well ı dısagree about arkadash lıke ı saıd before ı thınk ıt come from ER qardash
about the boydosh ıts lıke a she ın englısh ıf ı say boydoshım geldı all wıll know the person ım talkıng about ıs gırl !

well ı dısagree about arkadash lıke ı saıd before ı thınk ıt come from ER qardash
about the boydosh ıts lıke a she ın englısh ıf ı say boydoshım geldı all wıll know the person ım talkıng about ıs gırl !

I don't think so, it has a pretty normal meaning, an example, "Arka çıkmak"(Supporting, backing), plus if it was Erkardaş it would recorded as such in earlier written sources, Erkardaş and Arkadaş are vastly different, it can't be that mutated especially when its a late developed word.

Edit: I said standing back to back to each other, but its origin might be standing at back(supporting, backing) of each other as well.

So, citizens of Turkey can understand people from Kazakhstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan ?

For me the easiet Turkic languages to understand are Azeri (of course), Turkmen and other Oghuz languages. Karluk languages like Uzbek and Uyghur are also quite easy for Oghuz speakers. Kipchak languages like Kazakh or Kyrgyz are already harder to understand while Chuvash and Yakut languages sound like foreign non-Turkic languages for me, through I know that they're are also Turkic

Got a few questions;
Is arkadas originally a Turkic word? My Uyghur friend told me they use dost and adas for friend.
What about Kyrgyz people @telkon, is arkadas also used there ?
What about Turkmen @asena_great ?

Secondly, is there perhaps a source, a site would be great, where you can search up the roots of Turkish words in a convenient way?

Perhaps kinda hard, but is there a site where you can put in a Turkish word and then get a list of its equivalent words in different Turkic languages?

we use dos, candaş.

second question, there's nişanyan's site, but it's too lame. he's not a professional turkolog, just messing around given that he has money and time to spend LOL.

third question, kültür bakanlığı had a site for turkic languages. but i think it went down. there is a book (2 volumes), türk lehçeleri sözlüğü. it's pretty lame, but again it's better than nothing LOL.

Arkadaş is Turkic from " Arka"(back), and "daş" suffix which refers to sharing or partnership. But if my etymologic dictionary is correct, it might be late developed word, in Anatolia may be ? @asena_great do you use it in daily life ?

Dost is Persian., Adaş must be Turkic but its probably originally was a different word and pronounce is downed into Adaş.

Edit: Etymologic dictionary says before Arkadaş we had "Ayakdaş" , and in Old Turkic Ayak is Adak so Uyghur word Adaş might be coming from Adak.

arkadaş is purely anatolian i think and a word which entered in pretty late times (18-19. centuries maybe). adaş is turkic. it's attested as adaş/addaş. it didn't undergo any changes, you can find it in kashgar's vocabulary. initially ad meant not a personal name, but tribe's name. so adaş/addaş meant of the same tribe/bloodline.

in your edit part, i see that you still use nişanyan LOL. ayak in ottoman meant "cup, bowl". it was pretty common in 13-16. centuries. so maybe ayakdaş meant those who share cup of wine? your etymology on adak-ayak-adaş is pretty lame LOL.

turkic words used for friend

ka
kadaş
kayaş
kandaş (not sure, had to check)
adaş
koldaş

well we dont ues ıt at all arka means back dash some tıme can means dıstance long so ı just guess

yes we use yoldosh

do u use boydosh for all fırends whom are gırls ?

i think boydosh means of the same tribe, not of the same height :D

Last edited:
we use dos, candaş.

second question, there's nişanyan's site, but it's too lame. he's not a professional turkolog, just messing around given that he has money and time to spend LOL.

third question, kültür bakanlığı had a site for turkic languages. but i think it went down. there is a book (2 volumes), türk lehçeleri sözlüğü. it's pretty lame, but again it's better than nothing LOL.

arkadaş is purely anatolian i think and a word which entered in pretty late times (18-19. centuries maybe). adaş is turkic. it's attested as adaş/addaş. it didn't underwent any changes, you can find it in kashgar's vocabulary. initially ad meant not a personal name, but tribe's name. so adaş/addaş meant of the same tribe/bloodline.

in your edit part, i see that you still use nişanyan LOL. ayak in ottoman meant "cup, bowl". it was pretty common in 13-16. centuries. so maybe ayakdaş meant those who share cup of wine? your etymology on adak-ayak-adaş is pretty lame LOL.

turkic words used for friend

ka
kadaş
kayaş
kandaş (not sure, had to check)
adaş
koldaş

i think boydosh means of the same tribe, not of the same height :D

Dude, it might be not perfect but its certainly the best etymologic dictiınary out there :) Ok thinking of it, sharing the foot is a bit lame yes :D but I haven't heard anything about Ayak=Bowl so it can't be helped.

Yoldaş rather then friend is like companion, follower I think.

So, citizens of Turkey can understand people from Kazakhstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan ?

We understand Azeri, partially understand Turkmen, other non-Oghuz group Turkic languages are quite hard to understand, but adopting into them is easier then learning a foreign language.(its applies to them too, I mean a Kazakh living in Turkey would probably fully adopt Turkish in maximum 1 year or something)

@telkon would know better.

Edit: actually thinking of it, Karluk group is a little easier compared to Kipchak group, I partially understand Uyghur songs.

yep, you're right. grammar is almost the same. only thing a turkic had to learn is vocabulary.
and @Nihonjin1051 the answer to your question is within these 67 pages LOL. don't be lazy, read 'em :taz:. i once read 800+ pages in one of forums just to not repeat already asked and answered questions :D

yep, you're right. grammar is almost the same. only thing a turkic had to learn is vocabulary.
and @Nihonjin1051 the answer to your question is within these 67 pages LOL. don't be lazy, read 'em :taz:. i once read 800+ pages in one of forums just to not repeat already asked and answered questions :D

How much time it took for you ?

Dude, it might be not perfect but its certainly the best etymologic dictiınary out there :) Ok thinking of it, sharing the foot is a bit lame yes :D but I haven't heard anything about Ayak=Bowl so it can't be helped.

Yoldaş rather then friend is like companion, follower I think.

ayakçı (dude who serves cups in sovereign's court, garson-like) ayak takımı (people whose job is to work in kitchen, low-status worker). in modern turkish, ayak takımı has almost the same meaning.

How much time it took for you ?

a little more than a week

ayakçı (dude who serves cups in sovereign's court, garson-like) ayak takımı (people whose job is to work in kitchen, low-status worker). in modern turkish, ayak takımı has almost the same meaning.

I know these words but I thought since its refers to low class people it was related to foot :D

we use dos, candaş.

arkadaş is purely anatolian i think and a word which entered in pretty late times (18-19. centuries maybe).

Purely Anatolian indeed.

We use yoldaş, dost.

Last edited:
Purely Anatolian indeed.

We use yoldaş, dost.

@Targon, @telkon

What about "adaxlı". In Azerbaijani it means "fiance". Apparently the word is used in Anatolia as well ("adaklı"). I remember reading that it stems from "adaq", but not sure really.
Adak means offer in Turkish.

Aha, that should be indeed the meaning. How I didn't come to think of it. :D

But there is also "adaq" word in Azerbaijani that are used for first walking steps of babies, "adaq" was the modern form of "ayaq" in old Turkic.
Fiance means ''Nişanli'' btw.

Back
Top Bottom