What's new

Turkic World Photos/News/Discussions.

Nothing, if I had to put it with single word. Generally the religion does not really play any important role in Azerbaijan (and "religion" is rather in form of "traditional conservatism"), and when it comes to Shia-Sunni stuff, there is absolutely no trace of such a division.

Last edited:
Nothing, if I had to put it with single word. Generally the religion does not really play any important rule in Azerbaijan (and "religion" is rather in form of "traditional conservatism"), and when it comes to Shia-Sunni stuff, there is absolutely no trace of such a division.
I agree, the Sunni-Shia sectarianism stuff is not important for us. for example we have some friends from south of Urmia who are Sunni, but we have never called them with a separate name like Sunni-Azeri or Sunni-Turk. But, I would say that "Traditional Conservatism" is pretty strong in Azerbaijan, although I think it is not even as much strong as Turkey.

I agree, the Sunni-Shia sectarianism stuff is not important for us. for example we have some friends from south of Urmia who are Sunni, but we have never called them with a separate name like Sunni-Azeri or Sunni-Turk. But, I would say that "Traditional Conservatism" is pretty strong in Azerbaijan, although I think it is not even as much strong as Turkey.

I like it that none of the people in Turkey care about this sect, however in the Arab states everyone asks while I don’t care about it either forcing me in a side I never chose.
Fully agree

By the way, old Anatolian Turkish and Azerbaijani Turkish were very little different from each other. The differences evolved mostly from 15th century.

Kadi Burhan al-Din - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For instance, the language used by Kadi Burhaneddin (ruler of Eretna) is regarded as in both old Anatolian Turkish and Azerbaijani Turkish, if you compare his language to modern Anatolian and Azerbaijani Turkish, then one can instantly see that its closer to latter. But during that time, there was no difference between the two.

(alot of Perso-Arab expressions are used which was typical of that era, but look beyond that. Generally the accent (and when one looks at the general vocabulary, not just this one example, the vocabulary are more similar to Azerbaijani Turkish) used is completly identical to Azerbaijani)

587tf0X.jpg

There is also "Tuyuq" examples, where the Perso-Arabic word and expressions are far less used:
Həmişə aşiq könlü biryan bolur,
Hər nəfəs qərib gözü biryan bolur,
Sufilərin diləgi mehrab, nəmaz,
Ər kişinun arzusı meydan bolur.
Ər yigit qayda ürkər ürkülərdən
Yaxşı at bəlinləməz ilkülərdən.
Düşmənlər bizdə bolsa ditrəşsünlər
Qağan aslan qaynınmaz dülkülərdən.

Last edited:
By the way, we also say "Saçanda", "Uçanda" (Anatolian Turkish is "Saçtığında", "Uçtuğunda"). Turkmen also preserves the k↔g characteristic of Oghuz (for some reason in Anatolian Turkish its the opposite of Azerbaijani and Turkmen), though in some cases before high vowels it become "K", same as in Azerbaijani (Könül, Kölgə etc.), and this is again the opposite in Anatolian Turkish. :D
dude this is something i can't answer gimme more example :meeting:"Saçanda", "Uçanda" is common here but i don't see any problem in "Saçtığında", "Uçtuğunda":unsure: it's not common to say these word in this way but we have some other word which work that way !!! :what: similar like oylan and gunerte/gunertan both mean midday both are common to use :yahoo:but i can tell you this all the words in turkmen ends with "e" or "a" and we don't have good relation with "u" :pissed:in turkish it's used a lot i give you example

turkish - ahmet davutoghlu bumu Yürümek
turkmen - ahmed davudoghle !!! bume/shime yorimek

both turkish and azeri are very close to us ! but we have more words in common with azeri than turkish

about azeri dialect i can't say anything about it :meeting: the turks in baku speak little fast i guess but turks in tabriz speak little slow i never had chance to talk one but i do talk to urumiye turk and we are cool :yay:

Not to you since you can speak and write Anatolian Turkish, but to Azeri Turks? Because we consider Azeri Turkish really funny, in a good way though :)
we consider Turkish really funny, in a good way though lol here turkmen girls call you sexy speaking turks ! :omghaha: something like uk and us english :agree:

Dude thats Standart Turkish, its not traditional, best way to compare is local dialects, If I know my local dialect perfectly I could do :/

That poetry is pretty much Old Anatolian Turkish, but as far as I can see there were very little differences, like men-ben.

Of course I do know that, thats why I specifically mentioned Istanbul (and which is "standard"). I don't take any offence when our brothers find our tongue "funny", but I do take offence when its compared to speech of Ibrahim Tatlises to be honest, because it couldn't be more wrong, I know for a fact that many people in Turkey really thinks like that, people who thinks that Azerbaijani Turkish is what they have heard from "Yahsi cazibe". And these people also don't know about local Anatolian dialects apparently.

Last edited:
Well, Turkish of Kurds is like a broken Azeri :D

I don't think Azeri is same as Old Anatolian Turkish, its also evolved to a point, just like our local dialects.

"Taa suyun başında oturupduru"(There he's sitting near water)

thats from my local dialect.

Btw do you guys use something like "gil" ? we say for example Anangil(Your mother's folk), Amcangil(Your uncle folk) etc.

I'm not saying its 100% same, but its very similar.

Btw do you guys use something like "gil" ? we say for example Anangil(Your mother's folk), Amcangil(Your uncle folk) etc.

Yes.

Last edited:
well i dont think this was something targon means we have that but we don't say Anangil we say annagi and it's means motherhood or mother's folk something that way

-Gil must be imperative suffix in Turkmen. In Azerbaijan its "Gilen-Ginen" ("en" probably developed later on as a second person noun, older examples were with -gil). But there is also that -gil Targon mentioned, which indicates a belonging.

I have tried to find its etymologic explanation, but my source doesn't have it, I only read about it being a form of -ki but I'm not sure.

@Targon

There is two different -ki, conjunction and suffix, which one do you mean? Conjunction is copied from Persian, while the suffix are Turkic "Ğı".

For instance:

Ben dedim ki versus benimki.

Back
Top Bottom