Turkey's Otokar Wins Armored Vehicle Contract From UN

Hakan

RETIRED INTL MOD
Reaction score
Country
Turkey
Otokar Wins Armored Vehicle Contract From UN

ANKARA
— Turkey’s leading armored vehicles manufacturer, Otokar, has said that it won a $24.6 million contract from the United Nations.

In a news release March 6, Otokar said the contract was for an unspecified number of the company’s Cobra vehicles. The UN will use the Cobras in peacekeeping operations, the company said.

Cobra, used by the armies of 15 different countries, is Otokar’s best known vehicle. Turkish security forces use the four-wheel-drive Cobra for reconnaissance and area control.

Otokar reported 40 percent growth in 2013, with exports of $117 million.

The company also is the developer of the Altay, Turkey’s first indigenous, new-generation main battle tank. In 2008, Otokar signed a $500 million contract with the Turkish procurement office, the Undersecretariat for Defense Industries, to produce four prototypes under the Altay program.

Turkey's Otokar Wins Armored Vehicle Contract From UN | Defense News | defensenews.com

Written By: B.B:D

Last edited:
Cobra 1 or 2?
Now I'm just throwing a wild guess out there; Cobra 1 - it's the one that has been combat proven, currently being used by a number of armies and also I think that whilst Cobra 2 is more suitable for VIP-transport in urban areas, Cobra 1 is more or less made for soldiers in rough and harsh battlefields. Add to that the fact that Otokar uses a picture of Cobra 1 in their announcement, and I would call my guess pretty solid :happy:

Back
Top Bottom