What's new

Turkey may ‘never be EU member’

Nonsense for you maybe,not for us.
Do we talk nonsense about Jinnah?
To your questions,
We are over it,before our economy was bad and the EU would bring is further.
Those times are over,we dont need to get in the EU.
No we dont have a complex,do you have one?

Turkey needed Nato as protection from the Soviet Union after WW2.

It originally sought membership in EU as far back as 1964(I think) as it thought that this would help the country to develop quicker than it otherwise would have. There may have been other reasons like binding Turkey's secular character even more firmly into the fabric of society etc.

However I think now the Turks would gain very little with being members of the EU. Turkey already has access to the EU market, with the signing of the "Customs Union" in 1995, and has been able to grow it's economy since this time by exporting to the EU.

We have seen over the last decade the percentage of total exports from Turkey to the EU dropping from 60% to 48%. As the EU is likely to remain in the period of little to no growth over the rest of this decade, this will fall further.

Simply Turkey is big enough to go it alone and it can develop just fine outside the EU.

Where does it say in his post that Pakistan was a part of the Ottoman Empire?

He said & I quote
'ever increasing Since WE lost the ottoman empire'
Observing that he is a Pakistani living in Pakistan not even turkey
I thought he thinks that Pakistan was a part if ottoman empire

He said & I quote
With WE he meant we muslims i think.
Muslims all over the world admired the Ottoman Empire,felt a bond.

He said & I quote

You seriously need to take history lessons(not from your text books).
We-->Muslims.
And their forefathers ruled you for centuries how can you forget that.

He said & I quote

For countless many Muslims (not our Governments & those of note) Islam did away with parochial tribalism centered around a race, culture or geography !

Naturally Muslims are inclined to speak of 'We' when referring to each other because of that Bond !

At any rate the Ottoman Sultan was Our Caliph & even a largely unimpressive Caliph (hence why the Turks got rid of him) was a strong unifying force for us & accentuated many times our sense of affinity towards the Ottomans as our own People !

Even now if Turkey were to be attacked tomorrow, if the People of Pakistan (not the Government or the Establishment) had a say in this matter they'd want our Armed Forces to fight alongside the Turks & even make our Nukes available to them - Thats how emotionally vested we are in this 'We' !

With WE he meant we muslims i think.
Muslims all over the world admired the Ottoman Empire,felt a bond.

But you didn't feel any bond with us otherwise you would've given me the recipe for Turkish Delights ! :cray:

Turkey may never gain EU membership because they are not a European country.

It doesn't have European culture, values, history, food, etc.

Its a middle eastern country which has tried to conquer europe and europeans have resisted it for hundreds of years.

So why should Europe commit suicide and let in 80 million Turks into Europe which should shift the balance of power of Europe towards Turkey from Germany and start the process rapid Islamization of Europe and making ethnic Europeans a minority in their own lands by the flood of Turks and other middle easterners flooding into Europe.

For countless many Muslims (not our Governments & those of note) Islam did away with parochial tribalism centered around a race, culture or geography !

Naturally Muslims are inclined to speak of 'We' when referring to each other because of that Bond !

At any rate the Ottoman Sultan was Our Caliph & even a largely unimpressive Caliph (hence why the Turks got rid of him) was a strong unifying force for us & accentuated many times our sense of affinity towards the Ottomans as our own People !

Even now if Turkey were to be attacked tomorrow, if the People of Pakistan (not the Government or the Establishment) had a say in this matter they'd want our Armed Forces to fight alongside the Turks & even make our Nukes available to them - Thats how emotionally vested we are in this 'We' !

But you didn't feel any bond with us otherwise you would've given me the recipe for Turkish Delights ! :cray:
Why recipe?
For you all of the Turkish delights will be served.
Again with the crying?:pissed:

Why recipe?
For you all of the Turkish delights will be served.
Again with the crying?:pissed:

My Mom & Dad visited Kapadocia (I can't even spell it :cray: ) a while back ! :)

Great Place, Great People but you guys can't cook even if your life depended upon it ! :P

My Mom & Dad visited Kapadocia (I can't even spell it :cray: ) a while back ! :)

Great Place, Great People but you guys can't cook even if your life depended upon it ! :P
I come from there,the wrong place to eat Turkish specialties.
You need to go south for that,or to Istanbul.

I come from there,the wrong place to eat Turkish specialties.
You need to go south for that,or to Istanbul.

I haven't been to Turkey yet - Maybe next year ! :)

But the dried Pumpkin Seeds, the Pottery & the Turkish Delights were awesome along with the photographs of those Chimney Houses ! :tup:

I don't think nationhood on the basis of culture, geography, race or ethnic origins is wrong. Even our country has a shared Indo-Iranian identity encompassing every ethnic group, language, & culture. All forms of national identity have similar pros & cons, & in my opinion a combination of multiple identities works best.

Religious bonds continue to exist among other Abrahamic religions as well. It must also be noted that Islam does not require a person to avoid affiliating with his or her tribal, ethnic, cultural, or linguistic identity, it merely aims at complementing it.

Yeah, the Caliph is considered the ruler of the Islamic "Ummah" & is the political successor to God's messenger. I think the other reason the Muslims of the Sub-Continent were fond of the Ottoman Caliphate was because the collapse of the Mughal Empire marked an end to Islamic rule in the region. So the Ottomans somehow represented their vision of freedom from non-Muslim or British rule.

I agree that many religious people would be annoyed if another Muslim country was to be attacked, but I really doubt they would desire to make our nukes available to anyone even if they had a say in the matter.

I don't think nationhood on the basis of culture, geography, race or ethnic origins is wrong. Even our country has a shared Indo-Iranian identity encompassing every ethnic group, language, & culture. All forms of national identity have similar pros & cons, & in my opinion a combination of multiple identities works best.

Religious bonds continue to exist among other Abrahamic religions as well. It must also be noted that Islam does not require a person to avoid affiliating with his or her tribal, ethnic, cultural, or linguistic identity, it merely aims at complementing it.

Yeah, the Caliph is considered the ruler of the Islamic "Ummah" & is the political successor to God's messenger. I think the other reason the Muslims of the Sub-Continent were fond of the Ottoman Caliphate was because the collapse of the Mughal Empire marked an end to Islamic rule in the region. So the Ottomans somehow represented their vision of freedom from non-Muslim or British rule.

I agree that many religious people would be annoyed if another Muslim country was to be attacked, but I really doubt they would desire to make our nukes available to anyone even if they had a say in the matter.

Haven't we discussed this ad nauseam in the past to the effect of a bitter parting ?

Let us not talk about this !

Back
Top Bottom